elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery of the Ancients: Lockwood Manor Collector's Edition

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Sep 22, 11 2:31 PM
Coronagold wrote:But you all will still be saying "Thanks Murdock" every single Tuesday.

Hey Coronagold--Slightly off-topic here, but aren't we all, some of the time? We don't all necessarily Thank Mudrock (note the spelling) for the content or quality of games, but only that he predicts some releases for the upcoming week. He does give opinions occasionally (e.g., "Great storyline," "Good graphics," etc.), but I always judge that stuff for myself; I'm not a Mudrock "cheerleader/sheep," as you seem to imply.

BTW, this game doesn't measure up to many of the CEs from the past; although I'm a CE fan, I think I'll wait for the scaled-down version of this one.

Regards, elldee

(P.S. Hope you re-visit this thread to absorb some of the comments/reviews.)

(P.P.S. A very Happy Birthday, Edmee--see ya at that "other" review site!)

Edited on 09/22/2011 at 2:40:18 PM PST

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Sep 22, 11 2:45 PM
This will serve as an addendum to my initial review based on the demo version.

I finished the game and I'm pleased to say that total play time for me, in Advanced mode, using no hints, no skips and no strategy guide (and getting all the achievements ) was 5.5 hours, PLUS 1.75 hours of bonus time for a total of 7.25 hours.

As you get further into the game, many of the puzzles are more difficult, but still doable. Plus, I didn't feel bored at all, probably because of some very well placed "jump outta 'da chair moments".

The bonus chapter is an extended ending, sort of a "just how strong is this demon" kind of thing, so it's not necessary to enjoy the game on its own, but it is really good. It takes place mostly in the upstairs of the house and it is not something that the developer just slapped together to get a bonus chapter done. It was given as much thought as the rest of the game and has good puzzles and objectives - so it is a very solid piece of work. (Kudos to the developer for that!)

The sound track is so amazing - for the first time I think I'm gonna download a soundtrack from a game. If Edgar Allan Poe composed music, this is probably what it would sound like - not funeral dirge depressing, but at times suspenseful, sometimes mournful, then maybe threatening, now racing...you get the idea. I listened to it all the way through the game and I still wanna hear some more.

So, for wonderful graphics and storyline, outstanding musical score, good puzzles and hidden object scenes, technical excellence with cutscenes, story development, fx, smooth play and length of play I give this game five stars and I haven't given anything five stars in a very long time.

Edited on 09/22/2011 at 3:15:11 PM PST

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Sep 22, 11 3:01 PM
Just wanted to add a couple of quick things for the developers if they happen to read the forums:

More character space is needed for individual player names. I think 10 would be perfect, but that's just me talking.

The strategy guide needs to bookmark the last page used. This means so much to people who refer to the strategy guide during gameplay.

And this is just a "funny"...when you click the bushes on the right side of the cemetery gates, after you take the diary page, the overhead caption states "I cannot open the drawer without a handle".

Edited on 09/22/2011 at 3:16:38 PM PST

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Sep 22, 11 3:10 PM
textrekkie wrote:Just wanted to add a couple of quick things for the developers if they happen to read the forums:

More character space is needed for individual player names. I think 10 would be perfect, but that's just me talking.

The strategy guide needs to bookmark the last page used. This means so much to people that refer to the strategy guide during gameplay.

And this is just a "funny"...when you click the bushes on the right side of the cemetery gates, after you take the diary page, the overhead caption states "I cannot open the drawer without a handle".

Thank you for the great review of this game. All of the negative reviews had me scared lol.

Thanks again for taking the time to give us such an excellant review.
Care

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Sep 22, 11 4:28 PM
Thank you textrekkie for the great reviews. I am playing this game and am really enjoying it. I agree about the SG because of the way it starts from the first every time. Also I didn't think it was particularly easy as I had to use some hints to find some of the objects. All in all I like the game very much.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Sep 22, 11 4:30 PM
I agree with textrekkie
I loved this game. The graphics were clear and sharp and I still like spooky mansions.

Do not know why I had a little problem finding objects in the hidden object areas. I love HOGs The graphis were really sharp, maybe for my old eyes they were just to well hidden. I did have to use the cheat button of few times.

The SG is the deal breaker for me. I had decided to purchase this game untill I used the SG, it is totally useless as far as I am concerned. I am a SG user even after all these years and years playing.

A little disappointing that there were no voices in a CE. I missed alot of action and enjoying the arwork because I was reading lol wish they paused a little longer so I could do both.

Happy gaming for fishies

lol bbelle you beat me to it.

Edited on 09/22/2011 at 4:32:14 PM PST

fraziely
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by fraziely on Sep 22, 11 5:21 PM
sinshack wrote:
fraziely wrote:
Tundei wrote:
Coronagold wrote:But you all will still be saying "Thanks Murdock" every single Tuesday.

Why not, Mudrock doesn't make these games, people thank him for making predictions.

Who is this Murdock/Mudrock person anyway?

Mudrock puts out a thread every Monday afternoon with a list of what's coming out during the next week. He doesn't list everything, and occasionally one of the games he lists isn't ready to release during the week they told him it would be available, but usually he has it right.

Look for his thread by clicking the "Forums Home" tab, then looking for the Chit Chat Corner in the list. Click on that, and look for a thread with his name in it - this week it's called "September 19th - Mudrock's Megaloblastic Machine" and it will always be called something similar to that: the date, Mudrock, and two words that also start with "M."

Ohhh, I see. Thanks so much Sinshack for the info. I'll be sure to check out his post next Monday

crabbycat
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by crabbycat on Sep 22, 11 6:19 PM
To darkdisciple1313....thank you for not only bringing a smile to my face, but I laughed out loud!! Unique way of reviewing. I played this game early after it was available, but wasn't impressed. Would consider SE, but certainly not CE. No voiceover and same-old, same-old plot. Had no trouble downloading or playing, but just yawned over the plot, etc. Thanks anyway, BF!!

hubbasa
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by hubbasa on Sep 22, 11 6:52 PM
What a wonderful post, DarkDisciple! Far more imaginative and entertaining than some of the games offered here lately!

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 22, 11 7:09 PM
textrekkie wrote:This will serve as an addendum to my initial review based on the demo version.

I finished the game and I'm pleased to say that total play time for me, in Advanced mode, using no hints, no skips and no strategy guide (and getting all the achievements ) was 5.5 hours, PLUS 1.75 hours of bonus time for a total of 7.25 hours.

As you get further into the game, many of the puzzles are more difficult, but still doable. Plus, I didn't feel bored at all, probably because of some very well placed "jump outta 'da chair moments".

The bonus chapter is an extended ending, sort of a "just how strong is this demon" kind of thing, so it's not necessary to enjoy the game on its own, but it is really good. It takes place mostly in the upstairs of the house and it is not something that the developer just slapped together to get a bonus chapter done. It was given as much thought as the rest of the game and has good puzzles and objectives - so it is a very solid piece of work. (Kudos to the developer for that!)

The sound track is so amazing - for the first time I think I'm gonna download a soundtrack from a game. If Edgar Allan Poe composed music, this is probably what it would sound like - not funeral dirge depressing, but at times suspenseful, sometimes mournful, then maybe threatening, now racing...you get the idea. I listened to it all the way through the game and I still wanna hear some more.

So, for wonderful graphics and storyline, outstanding musical score, good puzzles and hidden object scenes, technical excellence with cutscenes, story development, fx, smooth play and length of play I give this game five stars and I haven't given anything five stars in a very long time.

thanks, texttekkki, on your recommendation, I will buy this game if they ever fix it so it will work on my computer. I was one of those that got no text in the object search scene...

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 22, 11 7:13 PM
darkdisciple1313 wrote:Oy.

I was hoping that this game was as strong
as a Canadian Mountie's back--
Instead, my throat's been making noises
like the cat from Bloom County's ("Ack!")
While I'm sure the writers thought that they
were being quite unique,
The story is as stale as fish
that's been in the fridge for a week.

The plot involves yet another
missing relative/friend (again?)
Who's fallen for the lines of a
modern-day Lothario (Men!).
That right there was quite enough
to make me want to stop playing.
I've seen more interesting storylines
on Glee! (I'm just saying...).

The one thing that for me
sent this game right down the tube
Was the gameplay that was just as slow
as a snail inside an ice cube.
Moving from scene to scene was like
a stroll inside a park
That was laid from end to end
with liquid asphalt, sticky and dark.

For casual gamers, I suppose
this game could be a treat,
Since the puzzles as they stand
are both easy and quite neat.
For myself, however,
I'd really rather not pay
Quite so much for a game
that's such a pain to play.

I cannot recommend this one
at what they're asking for,
But maybe as a standard release,
the game'll be worth a tour.
And finally, a little word
for those who listen to Cupid--
Why, oh why, when it comes to love,
do people get so stupid?

That last line was for a certain plot point near the beginning of the game. Enjoy if you will.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Sep 22, 11 9:22 PM
I'm not sure on this one... I played half an hour and saved half an hour to try another day... maybe I'll feel differently.

For now I'm thinking I'll wait for the SE. No morphing objects but it did have trophies. It's a pretty easy game so the SG probably won't be needed unless it gets harder... I had already earned three or four trophies in the first half hour!

Note to devs.... PLEASE don't lock the extras until the game is finished!!! I get locking them in the demo... not a problem. BUT I want to immerse myself in the games I play so when I'm playing a game I want to have the music and use the wallpapers on my computer WHILE I PLAY. Once I'm done I don't care anymore. Think about it... why do you care WHEN I access that stuff as long as you are already paid for it???

The story didn't grab me... maybe it's the lack of voice acting which is why I saved half an hour of the demo to retry another day when I'm less tired.

A positive... the hint WILL give you and idea of where to go so it works outside the H0 scenes which is always a plus. Wish all devs would do that. Graphics were ok... not outstanding but not bad either. Parts of the game are really dark. Playing at night in the dark it's fine but with any lights in the room it was hard to see things.

I don't have any really negatives with the game I'm just not ready to commit to it yet. Textrekkie is making me reconsider so I'm glad I saved half the demo for later.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 23, 11 12:34 AM
textrekkie wrote:This will serve as an addendum to my initial review based on the demo version.

You took 1 and 3/4 hours to finish the bonus game, Textrekkie? I am impressed. Lately, when I play a bonus game it`s finished within 45 minutes, and I am playing slowly.

Can you tell me whether the bonus game was actually relevant to the ending of the main game or just something added for the sake of making this a CE?

swissraven
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by swissraven on Sep 23, 11 1:51 AM
Personally I have found this game boring, I didn't like the hidden objects scenes or the mini games, the graphics weren't too good either. I usually enjoy dark/demonic story lines but this one didn't grab my attention at all. Also, the music style didn't fit the general theme of the game.

Edited on 09/23/2011 at 1:52:19 AM PST

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Sep 23, 11 4:51 AM
dobbiemijnboekje wrote:I didn't know if I liked this game. But I have no other game to play, I decide to buy this game. And to my suprise I am going to like this game. The grapics getting better in the game and also the HOS.

The only thing that I not like is the SG. Everytime the SG went back to pag. 1

Dobbie is right. I've seen a relative play this game and it's not as bad as I thought at first. Nontheless it isn't worth the CE price IMO.

CasualGran

ETA: ...but I must confess I've bought it anyway...

Edited on 09/24/2011 at 12:30:41 AM PST

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Sep 23, 11 8:25 AM
This is a 5 hr game, which is good, the hint button was real fast, also good, the bonus chapter begins straight off from the end of the main game which saves the bother.

However, I couldn't work up much enthusiasm for this game. I kept feeling disappointed, like I was waiting for something interesting to happen, which it never did. It's grey and dull, the story is weak and it just wasn't enjoyable. Plus the flaming SG kept flipping back to page 1 every time I went into it, which frustrated me so much I stopped using it and just skipped the puzzles I couldn't solve.

Location change was too slow and twice I had to log off and go back into it because it kept freezing on me.

All in all, not a great experience.

Haven't heard of MariaGlorum before, guess they're new. Perhaps they'll improve with practice.

Wakame
Catfish
Catfish
1,584 Posts

[Post New]by Wakame on Sep 23, 11 9:22 AM
Well, I enjoyed the trial enough to want to buy.

For me the main plus point is that the puzzles and situations so far are refreshingly logical to solve.

The HOG scenes were straightforward enough, but there was always at least one object in a scene which was more of a challenge to find.

I liked the fact that towards the end of the trial I had quite a number of locations to explore and a couple of teasers that I'm hoping I can solve once I've downloaded the full game - speaking of which, the download has just finished, and I'm off to have fun!

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Sep 23, 11 9:24 AM
Hey Textrekkie--Your review was, hands down, one of the best that I've ever read. Now, I pride myself on writing some decent, comprehensive reviews, but I think you've set the bar where I can't reach it! And I'm not saying this because it's a positive post, but rather, it's an honest and thoughtful one.

For my take (based on a little less than an hour--yes, I bought it)--There's something about spooky mansions (Ravenhurst, Briar Rose, McEnroy Manor, The Void, etc.) that raises my pulse just a bit. This one seems to be a good mix of hidden objects, puzzles, and adventure. Yes, it's dark, moody, and broody, and even demonic, so for folks who are turned off by that stuff, I'd say, look elsewhere.

The graphics are good, but some scenes are pretty dark, as GamerGirl noted. I like using the hint system occasionally to point me in the right direction--that almost negates the need for a Strategy Guide. No voice acting--I think voice acting should be one of the things inherent in every CE. Music is good, and befits the scenes well. Can't really comment on game length--6-8 hours seems reasonable for a "plodder" like me! Good gaming!

Regards, elldee

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Sep 23, 11 9:31 AM
Valdy wrote:

You took 1 and 3/4 hours to finish the bonus game, Textrekkie? I am impressed. Lately, when I play a bonus game it`s finished within 45 minutes, and I am playing slowly.

Can you tell me whether the bonus game was actually relevant to the ending of the main game or just something added for the sake of making this a CE?

Hi Valdy! Here is what I wrote about the bonus chapter. Let me know if you need more information.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Sep 23, 11 9:35 AM
Sheerija wrote:Haven't heard of MariaGlorum before, guess they're new. Perhaps they'll improve with practice.

Just a quick FYI: MariaGlorum also developed Kate Arrow: Deserted Wood.

Go to: