harkonnen
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

Re:Reviews for Them: The Summoning

[Post New]by harkonnen on Sep 26, 11 1:31 PM
As a straight HOG fan I loved this game. Story was interesting, loved the sparklies which appeared after a time saving on using hint button (I hate to use hint button even if hints are unlimited). The bonus items gave a little sparkle also which was very helpful as the items were very small ( I played easy mode).

I loved the fact that brightness could be adjusted in options

I hate SpotTheDifferences but in this game it was ok as the skip button was active from the start so no waiting for an eternity to skip.

I did a HOS outside the house and noticed that the gate was locked - it was so nice that the gate opened after the HOS - no lock puzzle to do.

There are so many IHOGs on the market at the moment - it is so nice to have a straight HOG for a change.

Dear devs, if you are going to make the next game an IHOG (which you probably will since so many people like them) please make all the minigames skipable like the STDs in this one. Please also make all the adventure bits skipable also so that straight HOG fans can just skip directly to the HOS without having to do the tedious click/click and puzzles. Thanks in advance.

[Post New]by adelaidedoglet on Sep 26, 11 1:36 PM
I'm finding this game entertaining and relaxing. Not over-the-top gorgeous or intricate, but with enough individuality to keep me interested when I want to enjoy a game without feeling unduly challenged. I like it and will buy. As an aging baby boomer, I am not finding the hidden objects too small or difficult, and enjoy the x-raying cursor.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Sep 26, 11 1:54 PM
I think this game has a lot of potential. My main pet peeve and the reason why I could only complete 45 minutes of the demo is the tiny objects. I got such a horrible headache from searching I had to stop. At one point, I was just randomly clicking on the screen to find things. Not really enjoyable. I think if someone has a large monitor, they might be okay, but on my notebook, things were just too small to see unless you really, really looked hard.....again not an enjoyable way to spend an hour.

I have absolutely nothing wrong with my eyes and I am still young so again, maybe the size of the monitor makes the difference. Still, a game shouldn't be made just for those with larger screens.

I did play in the harder mode so maybe that made a difference. I usually do not like sparkles, but they were needed in this game. I usually detest spot-the-difference, but perservered because I wanted to go further in the game, but would be thrilled if it was left out in subsequent additions.

The storyline seemed interesting, but even though I read all the dialogue, I was still left with a feeling of missing something. Some part of the story that was major wasn't there and I was doing tasks and not sure why. Maybe that was the idea. The main character living the story and not knowing ahead of time what is happening. Still, I do think a little more of the story could be developed.

The only other problem I noticed was with the bonus items. I had no idea at first, that there were even bonus objects to find until I happened to click on one. It would be nice to include in the instructions that there are bonus items. While they seemed to be the same in a scene, for example, all buttons, they changed per scene. So, unless you just happened to click on a bonus item, you would have no idea what to look for. Probably not a problem if you could actually see the objects, but with them being so small, it was an exercise in futility to me.

I do hope the developers continue as I think they have the basis for a good series, but next time, please make the objects larger. I would perhaps purchase this as a DD just to find out what happened in the storyline, but for that reason only. Sorry.

Edited on 09/26/2011 at 1:59:13 PM PST

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Sep 26, 11 5:30 PM
[removed by moderator]

This is another great game and can't wait to see the sequel. Didn't expect the ending for the first chapter.

I agree with objects being tiny. Don't they realize that all alot of people out there wihtout 20/20 vision would like to have objects a bite larger. Did like some scenes that where is lighter color.

Edited on 09/27/2011 at 11:38:43 AM PST

crazy8club
Herring
Herring
357 Posts

[Post New]by crazy8club on Sep 26, 11 6:21 PM
direct x 9. I have direct x 10

shell_1965
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by shell_1965 on Sep 26, 11 6:38 PM
if the objects were not almost impossible to find this would be a great game for those of us who like straight HOG games. hints refill really fast and you need them. but i do like to find items on my own, thats the whole point. i had to use the hint way too much so no buy for me

linda43416
Guppy
Guppy
143 Posts

[Post New]by linda43416 on Sep 26, 11 7:31 PM
well finished demo and I have to agree with some of reviewers in that the pictures were a bit grainy especially in the std games, hard to tell some of the differences and I am pretty good at std! The highlights on objects when you wait too long I also found a bit annoying. I am interested in game, but I have a few want to get ones that are way ahead of this one! Will wait a bit, maybe a sale or DD or gotw, or an extra punch card. Again thanks to all reviewers here, I really appreciate the time and input from you.

suzyoz
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

[Post New]by suzyoz on Sep 26, 11 7:49 PM
IngoM wrote:Dear all..

We developed the game as a pure HOG... It’s our first game and we do listen to what you say. Positive and negative critique will surely influence the second and third game of the trilogy.

Re. Objects are small and difficult for some to be found.
As written in the other forum the game has two game modes...

Easy - the game uses just the bigger items of the scene in the list. Rarely an item will have to be found behind a door or a secret compartment. The hint refresh is faster.
Standard - the game lists the items from a random pool of available objects, small, medium and big objects, Items can be hidden behind compartments and behind doors. Hint refresh is slower.

Extra items are in general smaller and more difficult to be found but there is no must to find them to proceed in the game. A hint (via tooltip) is given to indicate what bonus items can be found and how many there are, when you move the mouse hovering over the star in the lower menu and you wait a second.

Regards and thanks for all the valuable input.
Ingo

Well I really enjoyed this game & my eyesight is not the best but I did OK! Hate STD but they were instantly skippable which I really appreciated. The scenes were mostly colourful. I look forward to the sequel)

Rainbow722
Flounder
Flounder
2,404 Posts

[Post New]by Rainbow722 on Sep 26, 11 8:47 PM
IngoM Hello again! It was me who asked about a Mac version. Thank you for answering so quickly! I'll be looking for that and your next two games coming along. Good luck with all!

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Sep 26, 11 9:08 PM
Well I was going to pass based on the screenshots alone... way way too orange. Kinda like a TV that is getting old and about to give up the ghost with all the orange faces on people. But then I saw that it's a new dev and they were in the forum so figured I'd give it a shot.

First let me say I'm not a straight hog fan anymore... I'm more an adventure/ihog gal. So for me this is too boring. BUT it's a nice game for those who enjoy straight hogs. I did like the story and the way the game was set up. The graphics were odd... sometimes they were perfectly clear (I wanted to keep watching the video on the TV in the first room!) and other times they were unreadable. Like the code needed in one scene... if the dialoge hadn't mentioned what the numbers were I wouldn't have been able to tell because the graphics of that part wasn't clear.

I'm also not an STD fan but I'm thinking that maybe that goes along with being a straight hog fan... if you like straight hogs you'll like the STDs but if you're more of an adventure hog person you won't like them? Just an idea.

I think I'll wait and try the second game if it's more ihog... hopefully you can correct the color for that game as well. (Oh I played easy so the objects were not hard to find at all. I used a hint for the last item in each scene just to be done and move on.) It would also be nice to have the dialoge voice acted instead of just text to read. Not sure if that's hard to program for a new dev or not?

Thanks for coming to the forum and listening... us gamers LOVE that. Heck you got me to try a game I'd never have considered.

catzzz666
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by catzzz666 on Sep 27, 11 6:27 AM
STD ??? What the heck is that? I thought that was something you caught from sleeping around. Could we please go back to complete sentences, it's very confusing trying to work out what you are saying. Thank you.

[Post New]by LuvDemGames on Sep 27, 11 7:00 AM
SeaBamboo wrote:hi LuvDemGames
There is a list at the bottom of the screen like the one you normally get in a H0G - (the first screen just has one word at the very beginning)
I don't have a list or any buttons, just a screen of objects in a room. The game is too big for my monitor so I changed my display so I could see everything, but it isn't there.

NANONAN
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by NANONAN on Sep 27, 11 9:20 AM
Once again y'all, thanks for the reviews. I don't even have to try this game to know I won't like it, so will cancel the demo download.

jcsgame
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,392 Posts

[Post New]by jcsgame on Sep 27, 11 11:47 AM
Finished the game....looking forward to the sequel. Since I use a 17" monitor, I didn't have too much trouble finding objects. When I needed to find something that had trouble with, I used the HINT, and it refilled quickly. The clarity of the screens was wonderful. I liked being able to move things and open drawers, etc., when looking for items. The graveyard scene really surprised me when it rotated.

There were some complaints about the "orange" color. I just wanted to let everyone know that that color is not maintained throughout the game.

I have excellent eyesight for my age, but I can understand the complaints about "tiny" items. My suggestion to the developers would be to make the items being searched for a little larger in order to appeal to more gamers.

Edited on 09/27/2011 at 11:59:24 AM PST

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Sep 27, 11 1:21 PM
My suggestion to the developers would be to make the items being searched for a little larger in order to appeal to more gamers.

I'm going to quote a post (elsewhere) that was made by the developer:
the game modes have an effect on the lists ... as you said ..easy "allows" the game just to choose the larger objects to be in the lists... besides that the game will not ask for any items which are behind doors. Standard takes random items for the lists.. those can be big small or medium, hidden behind doors etc.

So on easy mode, you'll only have the larger items on your to-find list

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Sep 27, 11 1:35 PM
NANONAN wrote:Once again y'all, thanks for the reviews. I don't even have to try this game to know I won't like it, so will cancel the demo download.

Just my opinion, but I think that's a mistake (and not to be rude, but what is the purpose of your post?). I also read the reviews to get an idea of what a game is all about, but I always demo it because each gamer has their own preferences and their own ideas about what constitutes a good game.

My feeling is that you don't really know until you dem-o!

Thanks.
Gail

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Sep 27, 11 2:03 PM
I apologize for my previous post. I know this forum is for Reviews only!

Gail

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Sep 27, 11 3:13 PM
I agree with previous posters - as a straight HOG game (and I love them!), this is good. I don't find the hidden objects tiny or hard to find at all (I'm 62 years old!). And I like that you need to find bonus items in each scene (and you get help to find them!). I've only played 20 minutes of the demo, but it is definitely a buy for me. I was able to fix the problem I had (not getting the full screen when I started playing) by downloading the update to Adobe Flash Player. And I want to say that I think it's great that the developers are monitoring this forum and are responding to the gamers comments! That's a big plus for me. I look forward to the sequels.

Please give it a try if you're a HOG lover!

Gail

judithd
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by judithd on Sep 27, 11 4:39 PM
One comment stated that the person was losing interest in BFG because of boring play. I too am disappointed, but I'm sticking right now because I appreciate the safety of downloading and the superb people skills answering technical questions.

[Post New]by fishaus1 on Sep 27, 11 9:00 PM
I did buy the game after the trial... Pretty much straight HOG with objects VERY difficult to see, very faint, or very small. Don't really remember any interesting puzzles! The game itself was one of the least complex and shortest games I've ever played. Save the money!

Go to: