quaifen
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

Re:Reviews for Lost Souls: Enchanted Paintings

[Post New]by quaifen on Sep 28, 11 6:36 PM
I need to know if the 6th chapter is the painting of the castle with the chain lock around it, can someone answer this question for me please. I need to know this before I buy, because I have been too disappointed with SE games with incomplete endings. The forgotten town, and Grim tales the bride, I hated the endings to these games.

Edited on 09/28/2011 at 6:41:59 PM PST

Kathyju77
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by Kathyju77 on Sep 28, 11 6:42 PM
I'm enjoying. prob. use a credit and go for it. It seems to have a good balance and graphics are clear. Simply sweet

[Post New]by jennkneefur123 on Sep 28, 11 6:58 PM
Hi Fishies

I got the survey for this game a couple of months back and really enjoyed the game so I bought the CE today and of course finished the game today I thought that the game would have been longer than 5 chapters plus the 6th bonus chapter because of all the paintings on the wall. Some chapters were way too easy and completed them in less than 30 minutes.

From what I read though, it looks like the SE only has 5 chapters and a non ending story game ending. What a rip. I don't typically buy CEs because I don't need the strategy guide nor the art, ect. I typically buy for the bonus chapters. I feel just a tad bit cheated in this CE.

Still....loved the graphics and the music was not at all annoying. Puzzles were a little to easy. Wish they would come out with an MCF...now those door puzzles were a challenge.

Of course, if any of you fishies have any suggestions for some challenging seek and find...your input would be greatly appreciated.

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Sep 28, 11 7:46 PM
lvfao wrote:i dunno what the Thread Police are so upset about. i use this thread also to help me decide if i will be purchasing or not. and i don't see what is the big deal about posting whether there is a ce or se because that IS part of the review. we are not filling out federal warrants here, just giving our impressions, ie reviews. if you don't wish to read a review because there is ce/se terminology, then skip it and move on. it seems to me that eliminating an entire chapter is news i certainly can use, and i appreciate that some folks spread the word. i had planned on making this se a buy but thankfully i read the reviews about the missing chapter, and thus will pass. imho ce's have become rather prolific and most fall short of the mark. one would think in today's economy, having customers at all would be cause for appreciation.

Gwhynot
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by Gwhynot on Sep 28, 11 8:35 PM
I love this game! I bought the CE when it came out and I love it. It's one of my favorite games of this type, along with the Awakenings trilogy.

The art work is gorgeous. I especially like the forest scenes where almost every leaf and flower has its own separate motion. The whole screen looks like it's swaying in a warm, gentle breeze. I live in a big city so this kind of thing is exactly what I crave in an hour or two of relaxing game time. Chapter 4 is also a favorite. Very colorful and fun.

I don't have the SE so I don't know what's missing from it. Chapter 6? I agree that's an odd thing to leave out, but I would buy the SE anyway mostly for the artwork. The CE has a bonus feature that let's you jump to any chapter, which is great. That's something I wish all the adventure games had as a standard feature.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Sep 28, 11 11:22 PM
Hi there,
The SE concludes with the gaining of the last piece of the picture from the Undersea Chapter.
There is a cutscene that shows the renunion between mother and son, so there is a happy ending. And you can then go the the Trophies section to purchase trophies with your coins.
I am still not convinced that I missed much by purchasing the SE as this game was extremely easy and short IMHO, but I rather enjoyed it anyway as it was a piece of pleasant entertainment. (And I could use one of my PC credits on it.)
Cheers

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Sep 29, 11 3:44 AM
Hi fishies,

I'm just swimming by with a friendly reminder to include **SPOILER** tags whenever you're sharing information on the actual game content.

Thanks!

bfgRhone

[Post New]by misskari0397 on Sep 29, 11 9:28 AM
you can get some of these games at Wal-Mart. Most of them are 2 games for $10.

suzyoz
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

[Post New]by suzyoz on Sep 29, 11 10:31 AM
Beautiful artwork, colourful and clear. Loved the characters. Hint button very helpful in all scenes. I need hand holding! You can earn more coins in free mode so if you haven't all the trophies you get another chance.

padres
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by padres on Sep 29, 11 7:40 PM
I just completed Lost Souls. I thought it was rather simple but still very enjoyable. The concept was original and the graphics are beautiful. Definitely long enough to be worth the $6.99 price tag. I didn't get the CE but I didn't feel that the story ended strangely or left me hanging just because I missed the bonus chapter. All in all a very worthwhile game.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Sep 29, 11 7:51 PM
Despite the negative comments about the lack of a proper ending in the SE, I used a punch code to purchase the game after playing the demo. The graphics are just beautiful. It is not too dark, no one is turning up dead (so far) and I am not having to search through a run down, creepy house, asylum, or hotel. The game is a tad easy for me, but then again, I am back at the university and I am enjoying the sense of accomplishment that I am getting by completing an area. Unfortunately, I am getting the impression that the game will be a bit shorter for me than other SE games, but I am going to try and get all I can out of the game.

MHa4791913
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by MHa4791913 on Oct 1, 11 3:44 PM
I almost didn't try this game because of the SE/CE controversy, but I did try it, and I'm hooked. As others have noted, beautiful graphics, relaxing music, solvable puzzles--just the way to unwind after a busy day. Really, really enjoying this game.

alimac196
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by alimac196 on Oct 1, 11 11:29 PM
QEIII wrote:What happened to the REVIEWS in this REVIEW thread!! You are all talking about SE's vs CE's. Surely its not that difficult to start a new thread or put it in the comments section. I've had to mention this before in the Redemption Cemetery Childrens forum. It really is too aggravating for those of us who come to read about the game. (And don't refer me to the CE forum as I NEVER demo or buy them.)

Rant over - Now back to the game review - This is mostly adventure with some HOGs with puzzles. I think the graphics are superb with good voice overs. The premise has been done before (pictures coming to life) but this takes it to another level, because you have lots of scenes coming off the one picture. I like when it tells you that you have nothing left to do in a scene. The puzzles seem very good (the main consideration for me). All in all I shall definitely consider buying this when my punch comes through.

Thank you QEIII - this was exactly the kind review I was looking for - and agree that discussions on SE vs CE should be somewhere else. The reason I come to this thread is to find out wether people actually enjoyed the game or not. But I will say that the length of the game is important to me too.

[Post New]by sunshine197239 on Oct 2, 11 9:37 AM
I really enjoyed what I was able to complete of this game. I was totally upset by the fact that you really only play half of the game you payed for. I hope this doesn't happen a lot. I would quit purchasing games from here if it does.

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Oct 2, 11 8:12 PM
I bought the SE version and have just finished playing the game. I liked the game very much, except the ending did end abruptly, but not so abrupt that I would be willing to pay double. There were no glitches whatsoever in the game. The only part that I didn't care for was in one scene at the end of the story. The area was so gray and dark, it was difficult to find objects without using hints. I would reccommend this game for those of us who buy so many games that we just can't afford to pay $14.00 for a game.

[Post New]by RainbowExplorer on Oct 2, 11 9:44 PM
Having played the SE Version to the end, it clearly felt to me that the finish was thrown together without much thought or care. It just jumped from one fantasy setting to a VERY BRIEF cutscene of the mother/son reunion, which contained only one or maybe two, sentences. There's no sense of what the son went through (during the time he was separated from his mom), nor was there any sense of the process by which the son was released from the painting, reconnected to his "spirit", then reunited with his mother. It all seemed to instantly & mysteriously happen.

To me, this game lacked both a smooth beginning & a smooth ending. By starting the game off with an audio-only cutscene (leaving us staring at a blank screen, trying to understand what we were listening to), the gamer couldn't help but be confused as to what was going on. With almost no backstory, we find the mom seeing some kind of "psychic", who puts the mom in a trance, which immediately sets her off into some unknown place, filled with paintings covering the walls - floor to ceiling. We never see the "psychic" again.

Since the scenes didn't seem to need to follow any special order, I wish they would have let us choose which ones we wanted to explore first, second, third, etc. Only the Bonus Scene (not available on the SE Version & obviously the intended ending to the game), needed to be the final painting selected.

Despite the poorly thought out start & finish to this game (they need to learn more about the art of story-telling, IMHO), I REALLY enjoyed this game. I played it on the "normal" setting, which turned out to be too easy, for me (the first time that's happened). I never had to use the Walkthrough, so the SG would have been a waste, for me. Next time, I'll play the harder version.

The creativity & beauty of the fantasy worlds was what I LOVED about the game! I enjoyed the stunning graphics, whimsical settings, charming characters, & how the painted worlds were all struggling with the SAME villain, though in different ways. Watching how the mom worked cooperatively with the painting characters was heart-warming, though rather cloying, at times. The mom didn't seem as preoccupied with rescuing her son, as most moms would be.

Sure hope the sequel will keep the charm & beauty of this game, while telling the story better!

Rainbow

Moon38
Clownfish
Clownfish
533 Posts

[Post New]by Moon38 on Oct 2, 11 11:39 PM
The SE stank. It was short and the ending didnt have any thought into it to speak of. Not to mention that there were four other paintings that couldve been written into the game. After all the game title IS lost SOULS, not Soul as in just this one kid. Big huge massive rip off.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Oct 3, 11 12:04 AM
This is a charming little game. Not easy enough to get bored by, but easy enough not to need a walkthrough and if you are looking for a different paced to the normal HOPAs this is it.

What I really enjoyed about it -

-The cartoon graphics. Graphics usually are not my taste not this one.
-The mix of frog and normal hidden object scenes and I normally don't like FROGs.
- Having to collect coins throughout the game
- Actually having something to spend the coins on at the end of game
-Freemode, to go into any chapter when you complete the game

not so good -

-Sparkles

Ending It wasn't abrupt as in, you knew you were near the end of the last chapter and that you would get the last piece of canvas and that would be the finish. I was fine with it as it did explain as you went along the story - spoiler highlight to read - That the boy would be returned if you got the canvas back (or hinted at) and that the villian was invading other worlds as well.

The ending was one cutscene with one sentence. So those wanting a wrap up of what was said during the game or a bit more background information will be disappointed.
It could have been fleshed out a bit more but at least it didn't give me a big teaser - that I was missing out on a huge plot and that I should buy the CE version.(aka FACES)
That would have annoyed me, whereas this was OK with me.

A nice, good B- game for me.

[Post New]by DaKeen1 on Oct 3, 11 6:11 PM

I feel as most do, that the ending sucked. Also there are 10 pictures on the wall. Why did we only play 5? You go in expecting 10 chapters. And you only get half. Can be played in a little over an hour. I would not have bought it if I knew it was this short.
I won't say we were ripped off, but I definitely feel cheated.
I found the game to be good, except just too short. Each world was nicely done. The story line is OK. Just that...OK. Not a really great game.

medic1960
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by medic1960 on Oct 5, 11 6:29 AM
I thought that this game had beautiful graphics and music and thoroughly enjoyed it. On the down side, it was fairly short and the mini-games were a bit too easy.

Thank you.

Go to: