cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

Re:Reviews for Echoes of the Past: The Citadels of Time Collector's Edition

[Post New]by cbtx on Sep 29, 11 11:42 AM
Thanks, WolfeRaindancer, for the info---my highest res is 1366 x 768 so maybe that's the problem. Appreciate your reply.

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Sep 29, 11 12:07 PM
partial quote

Carole22759 wrote:All ran smooth as silk for me...but then again, my new puter has 12gs of RAM (so happy). However, I don't see any heavily laden graphics in this game that would impede a lower graphics capable computer's ability to run this game smoothly.
Thank you to the developers of this one: JOB WELL DONE!

I was very suprised and pleased about this aspect of the game. I have a very old wimpy comp. with less than recomended Ram. But I didn't have any problems at all. Not a filicker, not a single lag time. Some devs. just have the touch and make the effort. Rah Qrneon!

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Sep 29, 11 12:51 PM
I have the first two Echoes of the Past games and will be adding this one to the collection. The graphics are clear and fill my whole screen. I kind of like having the inventory on top and the dialogue on the bottom. Sometimes when exiting scenes in games with the inventory on the bottom, it keeps popping up or when getting an inventory item I back out of the scene. I have been having problems with games running slow on my computer (hint hint, nudge nudge to my DH) but this one runs fine. To all who buy, happy gaming!!

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Sep 29, 11 2:33 PM
I love it!!! I bought the first two games. And I'll be buying this one, but probably not until it comes out as a SE, as I can't justify a CE right now.....you see I have three PCCs to use right now and nothing I want to use them on. That's what happens when we buy the CEs then the only good SEs that are released we already bought as CEs, if you follow me. Any way, the inventory collecting doesn't get excessive, and you only back track through a few scenes....unlike Grim Tales, the Bride, where you were going back and forth through six or more scenes just to collect one lousy little item. Maybe I'm slipping, but the first two mini games I came across in the demo I found kind of hard, especially the second one, so it's a good thing the skip bar fills pretty quickly. Any way, I recommend this game wholeheartedly.

Edited on 09/29/2011 at 2:35:22 PM PST

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Sep 29, 11 2:39 PM
This is the third game in a series. If you haven't played the first two, please do. It will help make the game more enjoyable and make more sense if you play them first. Happy gaming.

schobey
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by schobey on Sep 29, 11 2:41 PM
Really enjoyed the game. Thanks BFG. Kudos Keep em coming.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Sep 29, 11 3:09 PM
Game is great... I have the other 2 Echoes of the Past and this one is the best so far.. I didn't even wait until the 1st, which I really should have so I could have used it to fill a new punch card up.DUH Sometimes I get so excitied and don't think. Graphics are great, music great... puzzles great.. just can't think of anything that I don't like about it. I haven't had to use the strategy yet, been able to do everything on my own.. Will give this a 9 out of 10 stars.. Love it...

crowtrobot
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by crowtrobot on Sep 29, 11 4:11 PM
cherbtoo wrote:

Although it is strange to have the inventory at the top of the screen at least it means that we will not be getting thrown out of the scene while trying to pick up an object at the bottom of the screen where the exit area is .

I agree that it's nice to not accidentally exit the scene while trying to get inventory (and I played something recently where you could hardly get an error to back out because it kept bringing up inventory), but whenever I play one of the first of the two EOTP games, I keep dragging my cursor to the bottom for the inventory and then remembering it's at the top! Maybe more game devs can start using the "inventory at the top of the screen" idea.

Just for the length of the trial game, I wished I had started a map of my own, which I have done with a couple of games recently. I draw a map of the areas I go in, and anyplace where I need something (screwdriver, key, whatever), I mark the spot with a number and then in the margin explain what it is I need. Then when I find an object and can't remember what it is for or where it is needed, I just check my map. Saved a lot of time that I normally would spend wandering around.

I did enjoy the trial version, and I love the first two games in the series. However, this one didn't seem to grab me as much as the other two. I think I'll wait till the SE comes out and re-think. It'll go on my "maybe buy" list.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Sep 29, 11 4:28 PM
First of all, thanks to the developers and BF for actually giving us a full hour of demo for a change! As far as the game goes, I have the other two Echoes and really liked them. This has nice graphics, game place and music. Games are okay, not difficult, but do take a little thought. Looks like it might be a fairly long game, depending on how fast you are and how much you use the SG. The only thing I really didn't like about this game was where the inventory box was placed and the fact that you could not lock it open (which you should do if at the top). I am used to having the box at the bottom, and I much prefer it there. Nice game, but will hold off buying this until next month. Way over spent my game budget this month! Thanks for the reviews.

kathey12
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by kathey12 on Sep 29, 11 7:20 PM
I could not stop playing until I finished the game in its entirety!! This was by far an EXCEPTIONAL game!!
Thank you to the GENIUS that developed the story, and to the ARTISTS that created such as wonderful atmosphere in which to wander about!! I enjoyed visiting the familiar rooms of the previous game!
I have purchased all Echoes of the Past games, and eagerly anticipate the next release!
The puzzles were SUPERB!!! The adventure was enthralling to say the least!!
If I could stand up and clap, I would!! ENCORE!! BRAVO!!
Sincerely,
Kathey

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Sep 29, 11 8:21 PM
This is an addendum to my initial review of the demo version.

The Citadels of Time is the third installment in the Echoes of The Past series and by far the best. Playing in Advanced mode, using no hints, no skips and no Strategy Guide, regular game play for me was 6.5 hours. The bonus chapter, which does not affect the ending of the regular game, added an additional 2 hours, making my total game time 8.5 hours. WOW! (Note: in Advanced mode, there are no highlighted areas, including HOS scenes, except in bonus chapter.)

If you haven't played the first two installments, there's no need. The story is simple enough: A witch has it in for the House of Orion and has cursed them for centuries. Because of help you've given in the past, you have been cursed - exiled in time inside the museum where you go in and out of time warps meeting the other victims the witch has cursed. You must set time right, release the captives, collect the necessary clock pieces and escape.

The graphics are very sharp, even in the HOS and they still have the best interactive HOS around. Voiceovers are well done and suitable to the characters with the right amount of emotion. The ambient/background sound FX were done well, although used sparingly. The music could have been better - perhaps something more subdued and haunting rather than pounding and tense. I would be remiss, however, if I didn't mention that some of the HOS items are a bit "clicky picky". You either have to click the border and not the middle or the middle and not the border of some items. (continued)

Edited on 09/30/2011 at 6:38:29 AM PST

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Sep 29, 11 8:23 PM
(continued from above)

This installment has fewer HOS and more puzzles than previous games in the series. Orneon has always provided good mini-games in Echoes, but they outdid themselves here, giving a huge variety of puzzles with varying degrees of difficulty (some of them real easy, many of them difficult). (Note: You can replay some of the puzzles as one of the bonus extras.)

For outstanding graphics, continuity in storyline, excellent FX, smoothness in play, great voiceover work, great interactive HOS scenes, wonderful and varied puzzles, unbelievable length of play, I'm giving 4 1/2 out of 5 stars. I'm withholding 1/2 because of sparkles in bonus chapter, music and the "clicky picky" items. But it is an incredible game. Well done!! 1/2

Edited on 09/30/2011 at 6:39:04 AM PST

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Sep 29, 11 8:38 PM
I really enjoyed the first two in the series. The second I even purchased as a CE, though I rarely buy them. I was really excited about this installment, but I think I can wait for the SE.

I loved the inventory being at the top of the page. Usually when it is at the bottom of the screen, I accidentally go out of the scene. Graphics are exactly like the first two and having familiar scenes is nice. I loved the background music.

While I thoroughly enjoyed the demo, in the hour, I got through the first clock piece and halfway through the second. I played in the advanced mode. According to the strategy guide, there are five clock piece in all and then the bonus section. I especially took my time, didn't skip anything, read all the dialogue, never used the strategy guide, and still got that far. If all the sections are the same length, the game should only last me around 3 1/2 hours. SInce it is a CE and the graphics weren't exceptional, I think I will have to wait for the SE to come out.

Edited on 09/29/2011 at 8:41:14 PM PST

juttertje
Guppy
Guppy
194 Posts

[Post New]by juttertje on Sep 30, 11 2:12 AM
what a beautiful game. I have played one and two but everytime the game grows better and better. I love this one. it took me eight hours to complete the game. no problems with gameplay.

bpurdum2
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by bpurdum2 on Sep 30, 11 9:35 AM
This game is awesome!! It was a long game at least for me. I think this is the best one to come all month. The graphics were great and the story line superb. Yea! I didn't mind paying $13.99 for this game. I thought it was worth every penny which I cannot always say about some of the CE games I have bought.

Riverman73
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Riverman73 on Sep 30, 11 11:54 AM
Fantastic game! Everything an IHOG CE should be IMO:

- Challenging, but not too difficult and not too many Hidden object scenes
- Great graphics: a nice mixture of interior and outdoor scenes
- Nice adventure elements, that make you 'think'
- Great puzzles: medium to difficult level, a lot i havent seen before (my favourite was the one were you had to mix the colours to make glass-window tiles).
- Long: I played 4 hours on the regular game, but i am a very quick player, probably 5 hours for the average player.
- I havent begun to play the bonus game yet: but it seems its a totally different story, with all new scenes, which I love.
- A strategy guide that is kept on the page where you last visited it.

Some minor complaints:
- some tiny object in certain Hidden Object scenes, but not too many
- No seperate instruction button for the minipuzzles, but when thet hint-button is full you can get these.

Certainly one of the best IHOG's i played this year: 5 out of 5 stars.

Thoroughly recommended for people who love these type of games!

[Post New]by MyTFineSunshine on Sep 30, 11 11:55 AM
Hurrah! A game that works! After spending a frustrating hour or so on another game, this one is a pleasure. I agree with all the positive comments about the game. Yes, I bought it without a moment's hesitation. I am one happy little fishie swimming in the pond and having fun too!

Riverman73
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Riverman73 on Sep 30, 11 11:59 AM
One thing i would like to ad:

This game was first of all FUN playing. It had almost everything 'right' in terms of gameplay, graphics and level of difficulty.

I forgot to drink and eat even during the game, which i usually do... lol

Mimisix
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by Mimisix on Sep 30, 11 1:21 PM
I think this game was excellent. Bought immediately and played it over a period of two days. It is looooooooooong. Haven't even played the bonus yet. I don't think I'm an especially slow player, kinda "half fast" (read that quickly). I also have the first two in the series. Kudos to the developer.

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Oct 1, 11 3:55 AM
I have played the first two as C E, and I loved it. The demo of this one went very fast, and I really liked it, I don't know yet if it's better of the first of two or equal, but it's definetly a must have it!! .

Go to: