bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

Re:Reviews for Fairway Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bella81762 on Oct 2, 11 11:47 AM
cstdenis wrote:I played this game at the BFG Workshop in July and gave them some of the same feedback as I'm seeing here:

- Not enough snarky comments

- The commentators are not the same and as humorous.

- Too easy to pass a course. In the first version, you had to achieve certain things to pass a course, like make x amount of $$ or so-much under par. In this version you just have to make par to go on to the next course. The developer told me that they did add other "trophies" that you could shoot for on each course, but to me it's not the same thing. I WANT the challenge of having to meet a certain goal. Not just the same'ol, same'ol on every course.

So I'm disappointed that they didn't listen to us.

Will certainly NOT be buying this at a CE price - good graphics or not, it's just not worth it. Will either wait for the SE, or just keep playing the old version since it's better anyway. BFG - thought you wanted to hear what we had to say.

totally agree, they changed the whole formula, and made it not better,

lets hope tha backlash from this beloved game being changed will make the "royal envoy 2" devs take notice and NOT release the sequeal they had out on beta

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Oct 2, 11 11:49 AM
It was fun to play but wouldn't get it at the CE will wait for the SE.. Like the action and graphics are cute. Like the critter and it's a nice addition to a card game.

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Oct 2, 11 11:49 AM
I agree bfghondo, this thread should be about reviews, but the fact that some of us were playing the demo and the demo cut off prematurily, leaves little room for a full detailed game review. So, we interjected what we could in reviewing the games... price, graphics, voice overs, CE vs. SE etc. All is relevant in the review, no? Most individuals seem to flock to the review thread more then elsewhere, so where best to mention these things? I suppose mentioning the demo getting cut off could be posted in the technical thread, but I'm not quite sure that would be considered a technical game issue? Just inquiring, is all.

Incidentally, I just purchased the game via 2 game credits.... now activating. I chose to do so, out of sheer curiousity.... a gamble? yes, & I'll shall see. Will get back later to add to the review.

ADDENDUM: Thanks bfgHondo for clearing that up for me. I wasn't sure.

Ok, regarding the game... I'm glad I purchased the game. I've been playing it awhile this afternoon, and I find it is as enjoyable as the first one that came out a couple of years back. Because the demo ran short, I was not able to determine how many levels, but now I can say, there are 16 levels or golf courses if you may, and within each, there are the 9 holes to play.

Although it is an easy card game, I found, it is not so easy to beat, because, though a tad bit of strategy is involved, regarding how you play your cards, a lot of it, is still based on sheer luck of the draw, in what cards you are dealt. Because of this, each 9 hole segment can take quite awhile to get through. This game will be a very long play, and therefore worth the money, though I still don't see what the CE extra's are??? Maybe someone else can point that out to me. I do see a game called Frenzy play in it, but don't see anything outside of that, other then the shop to purchase more stuff, etc.

In any case it is a cute game, and though I wish the graphics depicted real world pictures of golf courses, the comic ones in this game are cute. The Gopher is funny... always laughs at me, when I make 10 or more above Par! LOL

Not much to really report, other then, the game plays very smoothly, and now I'm glad I took the chance and spent two game credits on it. I figure, even in HOG CE's I've purchased, I never use the bonus items anyway. When I purchase CE's, it is usually just because I don't feel like waiting for the SE.

Edited on 10/02/2011 at 4:53:56 PM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Oct 2, 11 11:58 AM
Well, I have the first Fairway and love it. I have played it so many times, I have run out of new player names for myself. This new one is not fun for me. Graphics seem off a bit, don't like the need to buy things I can use, the comentator is very boring and the game play is just blah. I don't like this one at all, so, definitely no buy for me. I'll stick to my regular Fairway. No way this one is worth anywhere near the price of a CE.

bfgHondo
Manatee
Manatee
3,712 Posts

[Post New]by bfgHondo on Oct 2, 11 12:12 PM
lilTweet7 wrote:I agree bfghondo, this thread should be about reviews, but the fact that some of us were playing the demo and the demo cut off prematurily, leaves little room for a full detailed game review. So, we interjected what we could in reviewing the games... price, graphics, voice overs, CE vs. SE etc. All is relevant in the review, no?

Hi lilTweet7

Please don't feel like you have to leave a "full detailed game review". In fact, bfgFlounder's post in this thread even says:

You can also add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game so other players can get more out of your review!

To clarify, my post wasn't in regards to the people who had only played the demo. It was directed to those who hadn't played the game at all but were leaving their comments in the 'Reviews' thread rather than the 'Comments' thread.

Sorry for the confusion!

-bfgHondo

Edited on 10/02/2011 at 12:12:48 PM PST

jmwillo
Minnow
Minnow
219 Posts

[Post New]by jmwillo on Oct 2, 11 12:24 PM
Loved the previous Fairway and I'm still playing this in between games that I buy but this Fairway I enjoyed but somehow for me just didn't match up to the first. I carn't put my finger on why. It was an enjoyable game but for me not worth the price of a CE. It felt a bit sluggish in someplaces and the gropher looked more manic than cute. I will most likely buy this when it comes out in se form and plat it though once and then play it like the first in between games I buy.

ibnurdreamz
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by ibnurdreamz on Oct 2, 11 12:28 PM
I never purchase CE or Card games, so imagine my shock that I not only decided to demo this game, but LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT! I think maybe its time a CARD GAME got a CE spot. I can be wrong, but I demoed the first Fairway game, liked it but not enough to buy. This one is a buy for me. The replay alone makes it worth it for me. This is an addicting game. So I am off to buy. I am shocked that I like this game as much as I do. For those that don't, its ok that we all differ. Thats what makes BF reviews worth reading.

Happy Gaming ALL!!!

jawfish
Herring
Herring
349 Posts

[Post New]by jawfish on Oct 2, 11 1:45 PM
Someone mentioned it's easy, it becomes more difficult later on. I'm having problems getting "3 stars" on the 6th course, replayed 4 times already and don't have enough money to buy most things in the shop. It seems harder than the first game, though I can't remember the first one well.

Voiceacting is good, graphics is nice, overall more polished than the first one. It has many, many levels, if you scroll, you can see pages and pages of courses to complete. I think CE offers more levels than SE.

If I remember, will come back to report after I'm further into the game.

Edited on 10/02/2011 at 2:50:32 PM PST

Cptduzer
Flounder
Flounder
2,474 Posts

[Post New]by Cptduzer on Oct 2, 11 1:56 PM
I put most of my review in the comments section - I was a bit confused as to what to put where since I had comments on my review part.

But it would be nice if the developers, considering they are inhouse, would come and address some of the concerns that we have about the CE part, or the difficulty, etc. since the demo is restricted.

We have expectations because of the first one, and perhaps we are just not seeing what is there ???
I don't want to have BFG rule out the possiblitity of a great solitaire CE because it is Possible!

My review part
I played the fast part - which I enjoyed, and the first three courses.
I found it too look very flat - it is the same change that happened when it went from Big Fish Games online (whatever it was called) to Big Sea games - However they program is very different. The look is fine, but takes some getting used to.
I couldn't find where to adjust to windowed mode - which is too bad. That is how I like playing solitaire games.
I did like cursor choices, I changed to the pawprint and took away the sparkly things and found the game to run better.
It does have goals - you have to look at your scorecard. They are super easy in the first courses because of the tutorial.
I miss the snark - really really really - funny how they added snark to MCF and took it from fairway.
I couldn't possibly care any less for the cards backs - that is not a perk for me
I think that changing the courses from 9 and 18 holes is a freakin' crime. seriously, 3 might be fine for the tutuorial, but if you look in the place that shows best scores, you will see there are no courses that have 18 holes. 3, 6, and 9 - So while there may be more courses than the original, the amount of holes within the courses is dimished so unless you counted up the holes, you would have no way to compare the two - however it does LOOK longer, and it is all about perception with a CE.

Overall, this follows along with my thoughts on BFG and the new path - I am disappointed. Until I see exactly HOW many courses are in the bonus, and what the difficulty is as you go along, I cannot see the value, and that makes me extremely sad -
Because a card game WOULD make a great CE - just like royal envoy - if you added extra levels to make it a value - NOT all CE"s need to be IHOGS,

[Post New]by jeannette120 on Oct 2, 11 2:05 PM
After playing as much as I could with the Demo, I really, really enjoyed the game. I did not care for the first Fairway game at all. I like the graphics, I love that if the gopher digs up in the middle of the game you can whack him on the head with your cursor and there is even an achievement for that. I think the powerup cards are pretty cool, especially the ones which eliminate entire rows of cards. I must say that the Speed Game is pretty addicting and fun.

What I would like to know in detail is exactly what is the CE about this? Is it that it contains 20 additional courses or something like that? Is it the Speed Game? Please elaborate BF.

If there is significant extended game play...then I'd been in to get the CE.

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Oct 2, 11 3:14 PM
I didn't like that the announcer does an advertisement for Big Fish Games, in the Modest Municipal (I think it was that one - the fifth) course - I thought that was rather tacky.

I found the Dilettante Desert (6th) course to be harder than the earlier ones; I kept going over par. Note though that I was playing without any extra purchases from the Golf Shop, nor was I using the extra irons in my bag. I like to play the game straight without using those helpers as much as possible; I think using them will probably make the game much easier, so not using them increases the challenge of the game.

I don't like that the courses are so short. I think that they did that just to be able to use more courses/backgrounds to make you think you are getting more value for your money.

I don't like the time wasted with multiple training courses. It was too much hand-holding; the basic game isn't complex enough to require that. They could have introduced the rough/water/whatever cards during the course of the regular game. I didn't like the fact that the deck and layout was obviously "stacked" to make it easier in the first few courses.

I initially didn't like the announcer - I much preferred the Australian announcer of the original Fairway Solitaire - but after a while he became just background noise. I think I might like the Scottish announcer as comic relief. I didn't think the joke about bagpipes was funny.

The card face options didn't impress me; the card back choices were nice.

I liked the "poof" of the dust when the sand traps were cleared and I liked the saw blade effect for the rough cards. I did like the variety of layouts that I saw so far.

There are 16 pages of courses. The 7th page contains the Bonus courses that are accessed by paying to play them. The prices seem low enough (2,000 and up) so that by that point in time in the game the player should have enough money to buy them. Pages 8-16 contain the Classic pack of games. The first course on page 8 is listed as a training course but it contains 9 holes. I recognized some of the course names from Fairway Solitaire (e. g. Burkett Laverty, Ocean Shores) so I'm wondering if they added some of those and then extended some of the holes on the earlier courses.

I was never into the whole gopher aspect of "Caddyshack" so the inclusion of the gopher in this game is just a distraction to me and unnecessary filler.

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Oct 2, 11 3:35 PM
I think the game is definitely worth buying. My disappointment with it has more to do with what I hoped would be in Fairway Solitaire 2 that didn't appear. I think the CE version does give you a lot of game play. I'll be interested to see when the SE comes out which bits are missing.

To me, though, Fairway Solitaire just seemed to be more of a relaxing game than Fairway is, though Fairway is by no means a frantic game. I just liked the water sounds and ambient sounds better in the first one.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Oct 2, 11 3:47 PM
Really !!!

SPEEDEO
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by SPEEDEO on Oct 2, 11 4:29 PM
I normally don't post but would like to say I absolutely love this game. I think it is worthy of ce price. Many many hours of fun.

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Oct 2, 11 5:00 PM
Jeannette! Thanks for letting us know that... about whacking the gopher on the head. I've been playing this addictive game, on and off this afternoon, and did not even realize you could do that! LOL Thanks!

Edited on 10/02/2011 at 5:00:30 PM PST

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Oct 2, 11 5:26 PM
Sorry for this additional short addendum to my previous one, but I was not allowed to add more text in the box to the other. Sooo, just wanted to add that the game quality I found out after purchase, is really good. You also are given several options for the type of pictures and font style you want on the cards, and can also choose from several different cursor styles. Some folks may not care about that stuff, as it is not pertinent to the game play, but I find it is a nice added touch. The more I play this game, the more I really like it, even moreso now, then the first golf solitaire awhile back. I've also learned during game play, that if I can't beat the cards dealt, and I have money to spare, I can purchase various irons I need to beat the hand. Really a nice in game feature.

It really is worth the CE price, but I did not realize it in the short cut off demo, as reflected in my first comment. In any case, like another said... it is addicting!

Edited on 10/02/2011 at 5:29:14 PM PST

giggyann
Catfish
Catfish
1,721 Posts

[Post New]by giggyann on Oct 2, 11 5:48 PM
I really loved the first one. But I was bored in this one. The first few courses are very short like others have said. But 3 and 6 holes. What happened to 9 and 18? There isn't the feel of being at a tournament like the first one. This is kinda quite. I also tried the frenzy part and that was crazy. You play the game but with a one minute timer. When you finish all the cards the next deck is played and you get 10 seconds added to what is left on the timer. The most I had starting the next game was 26 seconds .... so I never finished the second game. Did anyone do more than 1 1/2 deals? Just wondering how many tries there are.

I won't be buying this as a ce and will have to wait and see what others are saying. I would rather spend money on DD's this month and help the breast cancer research.
Happy gaming everybody and have a great week.

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Oct 2, 11 6:04 PM
My first thoughts were the same as everyone else's. why is a card game a CE? But after demoing it, I can tell you exactly why. There are 8 pages of courses to play but the bonus play is pages 9-16 of 9 courses each. I don't know if the MAC version demo is different than the PC but you could tell all that from the demo version on MAC. It also gets harder. Im still on the first page on #6 and Im good at golf cards. Its one of my all time addictive card games, I just havent played it recently but it gets harder and on #6, where the desert is, I cannot get past it lol I have had to replay it like 5 times because I keep going over par but it doesn't make me mad, instead it makes me even more addicted to it because I HAVE to beat it. I usually don't think any CE's are worth the money. Most Hidden Object games (and they are my favorite) only take about 5 hours to play and have a tacked on bonus game that is usually just the last chapter and not thought out well BUT this has 8 pages so 72 extra golf courses. That is going to take forever as the main game will too. I can't remember if I played the original fairway game but even if I did who cares if this game is different. Developers have to update their games every once and awhile or it becomes bland. I really like this game and since its the first of the month , I might have to get this because card, word, match 3 etc, basically any game that isn't a hidden object game are really long just at the regular price and take forever. I have some word games that have taken me over a month to complete because they go on forever so this one having so many levels already and then having 8 extra pages of games, is going to take a VERY LONG time to complete and will be very worth the CE price. I am happy to see a game that isn't a hidden object game as a CE for a change. Thank you for changing it up.

probaby221
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by probaby221 on Oct 2, 11 7:05 PM
I enjoyed playing this game..

[Post New]by tzangtzi on Oct 2, 11 7:18 PM
I prefer the original.The charm was missing here. I had to turn the commentators off in the demo just too annoying. So its a no buy for me.

Go to: