lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

Re:Reviews for Oddly Enough: Pied Piper

[Post New]by lvfao on Oct 4, 11 12:50 PM
brought up on fairy tales...with a great dad who took me to Disneyland when it first opened, and the premiere of Fantasia, this is nearly perfect! love fantasy, esp when there is a dark side (stealing children)... and the graphics are lovely, the mini games are good. not a big fan of silhouettes or frogs, but this is worth the effort. a def buy!

vervaine
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,122 Posts

[Post New]by vervaine on Oct 4, 11 3:05 PM
I played only half of the demo before deciding I want it. The emphasis is much more on adventure than H0 and the H0 scenes really are easy, which is very good for me. Graphics are crystal clear and beautiful. Soundtrack isn't annoying... There are widescreen/keep aspect ratio options (game started stretched, but thankfully I was able to get my black bars back ). Story sounds okay.
According to walkthrough elsewhere, it's going to take me 3-4 hours to beat.
All in all, it looks like a more than decent SE offering.

ELadyG1013
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by ELadyG1013 on Oct 4, 11 3:37 PM
I have only been playing for a few minutes and I really like this game already !! It seems to be delightfully funny. This looks like a winner for me !

Dialogue
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by Dialogue on Oct 4, 11 3:43 PM
Great review DarkDisciple1313. I, too, write poetry and enjoyed every word of it. You described the story line very well. I'm not too sure about the game as I haven't tried it yet. If it's odd, bright, and a little challenging I just might buy it. Off to try the game.

I bought the game and have finished it. It was fun to play although I wish there were voices in the game to make it better. Even though the whole game takes place at night the game is still bright enough that people shouldn't have to fool with the brightness on their monitors. I played on expert mode and it was a little challenging for me. I only used the walkthough once. Most things can be figured out by looking at the inventory and figuring out what to do with each item. I had the use the walkthrough once because I did not pick up an item I needed.

The game is a good length and the hidden objects, although fragmented, were not too hard to find.

I give this game out of 5 happy moons.

Edited on 10/30/2011 at 7:00:57 PM PST

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Oct 4, 11 4:03 PM
darkdisciple1313 wrote:Nice game, too short, review follows:

Once upon a time in a village most quaint,
There lived a crooked mayor who said, "We ain't
Paying the piper for services he rendered."
And so the piper quit, his pink slip thus tendered.

Instead of going off in a quiet old funk,
He said to himself, "Well, this is just bunk,
And if the mayor thinks he is smart and humming
Just wait 'til he sees what his way is coming."

And thus starts the game, with the children now gone,
Taken away by notes played thereupon
The pipers flute, a jaunty little air
That enticed the town's kiddies to the tower up there.

The game, like the tale, is both short and delightful,
With little to garner an expression most frightful,
Unless one, of course, is offended by spelling
And gargoyles...but then there's just no telling.

Hidden objects are found one by one,
Broken in pieces to add to the fun.
It's not all that hard, as such things will happen,
But there's not much else to get the toes tappin'.

The game is not boring...why nary a'tall,
But except for the story and puzzles and all,
There's not much "there" there (forgive the triplet)
To recommend this as a sure-fire get.

I suppose as a freebie, I'd give it a whirl,
But otherwise no. So my cane I will twirl
And a tip of the hat, and off for the door.
I'm sorry to say that there just is no more.

The Pied Piper of Hamelin (misspelled in the game, grrrrrrr) is one of my favorite dark tales of yore, as it kicks greedy people in the pants. Imagine if the CEO of a Fortune 500 company had the same thing happen to him...but these days, he'd probably not even bat an eye. Morality tales only work if the people reading them have morals.

Enjoy!

Interesting review and a very well written poem, darkdisciple!

tazdaffy
Narwhal
Narwhal
30,066 Posts

[Post New]by tazdaffy on Oct 4, 11 4:19 PM
I also agree with the other comments. Another good game by [removed by moderator].

The only downer is it only took about 3 hours to finish. It could have been a bit longer.

Edited on 10/06/2011 at 1:09:15 PM PST

[Post New]by tinyseahorse on Oct 4, 11 4:20 PM
just bought it after playing trial for 5 minutes for the graphics alone! wow what a beautiful game! love the non-exsistant teenytinywannagougemyeyesout type stuff to find..yeah...yeahhh at last! someone finally gets it!!! thanks devs..

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Oct 4, 11 4:35 PM
The graphics are beautiful and the game has ample help for those who need it, as I often do. At first it ran a bit slow and jerky but when I opted to use my regular cursor, that helped a lot. As for the game-play, I was really enjoying it until I came to the ouiji board with instructions to interact with it. At that point, I quit playing and uninstalled the game. I am one of those who are really troubled by any occult themes in games. I just don't understand the seeming obsession that developers seem to have with having to insert the occult in a majority of the games. I know there are those who enjoy that type of content but it's just not for me.

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Oct 4, 11 5:23 PM
Thank you for the reviews! I love FROGS. Yay!

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Oct 4, 11 6:41 PM
Itsupikachu wrote:
darkdisciple1313 wrote:Nice game, too short, review follows:

Once upon a time in a village most quaint,
There lived a crooked mayor who said, "We ain't
Paying the piper for services he rendered."
And so the piper quit, his pink slip thus tendered.

Instead of going off in a quiet old funk,
He said to himself, "Well, this is just bunk,
And if the mayor thinks he is smart and humming
Just wait 'til he sees what his way is coming."

And thus starts the game, with the children now gone,
Taken away by notes played thereupon
The pipers flute, a jaunty little air
That enticed the town's kiddies to the tower up there.

The game, like the tale, is both short and delightful,
With little to garner an expression most frightful,
Unless one, of course, is offended by spelling
And gargoyles...but then there's just no telling.

Hidden objects are found one by one,
Broken in pieces to add to the fun.
It's not all that hard, as such things will happen,
But there's not much else to get the toes tappin'.

The game is not boring...why nary a'tall,
But except for the story and puzzles and all,
There's not much "there" there (forgive the triplet)
To recommend this as a sure-fire get.

I suppose as a freebie, I'd give it a whirl,
But otherwise no. So my cane I will twirl
And a tip of the hat, and off for the door.
I'm sorry to say that there just is no more.

The Pied Piper of Hamelin (misspelled in the game, grrrrrrr) is one of my favorite dark tales of yore, as it kicks greedy people in the pants. Imagine if the CEO of a Fortune 500 company had the same thing happen to him...but these days, he'd probably not even bat an eye. Morality tales only work if the people reading them have morals.

Enjoy!

Interesting review and a very well written poem, darkdisciple!

darkdisciple never fails to make me smile

NikkiNox
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by NikkiNox on Oct 4, 11 6:43 PM
angelfish106 wrote:
hannah57 wrote:I got as far as the second part and I couldn't figure out what to do next, not even with a hint. So I looked around the whole area and then I got bored to death. Not buying this garbage,

Well clearly this isn't your cup of tea but to call it 'garbage' because you couldn't work out what to do next is hardly a fair comment. There may well be the odd game that might justify that label but in my opinion this isn't one of them.

Perhaps the walkthrough might have been some use, then you could have saved yourself from being 'bored to death'.

Nice of you to decide that "in your opinion this isn't one of them". Hannah57 was stating HER opinion. Try to respect that.

LoveMyBichons
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by LoveMyBichons on Oct 4, 11 7:07 PM
vervaine, Thanx for the reply, and it even made sense to me!

kady21
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by kady21 on Oct 4, 11 7:08 PM
I LIKE IT!!
At first I thought it would be much to easy, and its not the
most difficult game, but the graphics are great, Items easy to find
and its just plain fun. A lot are complaining about the silhouettes
in the searches but they are fairly quick to find.
Its just a nice easy going fun game great for those moments when you
just want to sit and play. Its a winner in my book!!

theoldbag
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by theoldbag on Oct 4, 11 7:25 PM
I am sooooo happy! I was privileged to beta this one months ago. I loved it and was so sorry to have the test come to an end. I love [removed by moderator] games. I don't agree that the developer aimed at young children with this one. There are many of us that are "young at heart" and this game is a jewel. I was blessed to grow up WITHOUT television and have a mother that read to us, many fairy tales included. I enjoyed this chance to play a game of this type. The color is exceptional and graphics sharp. The storyline is interesting. It is a fun game. Thankyou developers and BF!! I was able to play without help and that is a real plus for me these days. And I shall consider this a birthday gift as this is my 75th birthday. Enjoy all!

Edited on 10/06/2011 at 1:09:51 PM PST

cagamenut
Guppy
Guppy
154 Posts

[Post New]by cagamenut on Oct 4, 11 7:35 PM
I was excited to see this new game offered, and enjoy FROGS, but the hidden objects are silhouettes. Ranks right down there with 'find the differences'. Think I'll play through the trial and see just how bad it is. Lovely graphics!

[Post New]by Nightmare_mh on Oct 4, 11 9:56 PM
I got to sample this one as a beta a couple of months ago and had forgotten it. They added the oddly enough to the title and at first I was't sure it was the same game. I found it to be fun and not too hard on the brain cells and I was dissappointed when the test time was at an end. Off to see how much I remember from the beta.

CelticCoco
Clownfish
Clownfish
514 Posts

[Post New]by CelticCoco on Oct 4, 11 11:32 PM
Just finished the demo and it isn't my cup of tea. I found the graphics pretty but hard to deciper with my tired eyes. I prefer more realistic games, though I have a few cartoonish HOG games. (Steved the Sherriff is one series I enjoy)

For those who like this one, enjoy, I think I'll wat till it's a daily deal.

Poem123
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by Poem123 on Oct 5, 11 3:06 AM
Spent my last punch card on this. That means I can't purchase any more games until a dispute with my cc company is sorted out. I think this is worth it, however.

I usually don't like FROGS but I have played, and enjoyed, them in the past. This is an example of the kind of FROG I do enjoy.
- You find one object at a time.
- The fragments look like you would expect them to look.
- Clear graphics, well-sized.
- You only need to find a small number of fragments (7 or 8 I think).
- The misclick penalty (I only tried expert mode) is subtle and not annoying.

I do not typically play games with silhouettes at all. It didn't bother me here - most of the time I knew what kinds of fragments I was looking for (eg ladder rungs) so I found them without referring to the shapes at all.

The artwork is right up my alley. I love this style. The chapters are clearly defined so you know how far you are progressing. Each chapter offers simultaneous tasks to complete.

There are 10 coins to collect and I found the 3rd by the end of the demo. I play at a comfortable pace. I watch cut-scenes and read dialogue. I don't skip puzzles, I solve object scenes as best I can and use hints sparingly. I estimate the full game will take me about 3 and a half hours, including the hour played.

The demo is a genuine 60 minute demo (unless I played so slowly, I missed the end of it). It was wonderful to enjoy a full trial for a change.

The style, story and atmosphere of this game may not suit everyone, but I thought it was delightful. The gameplay is very smooth. The adventure mode is fun to progress through. Problems and solutions are logical. Puzzles are solveable.

Recommendation:
Give it a try even if you're put off by silhouettes and fragmented objects. Just because it's a fairytale doesn't make it a kids' game.

Edited on 10/05/2011 at 3:15:25 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Oct 5, 11 5:59 AM
NikkiNox wrote:
angelfish106 wrote:
hannah57 wrote:I got as far as the second part and I couldn't figure out what to do next, not even with a hint. So I looked around the whole area and then I got bored to death. Not buying this garbage,

Well clearly this isn't your cup of tea but to call it 'garbage' because you couldn't work out what to do next is hardly a fair comment. There may well be the odd game that might justify that label but in my opinion this isn't one of them.

Perhaps the walkthrough might have been some use, then you could have saved yourself from being 'bored to death'.

Nice of you to decide that "in your opinion this isn't one of them". Hannah57 was stating HER opinion. Try to respect that.

Clearly this game is not 'garbage' and I'm not alone in that opinion. Read the other posts. What I objected to is the use of the word, applied when the game hasn't been given a fair chance.

And thank you for pointing out my obvious lack of manners; my studies at finishing school were apparently wasted.

[Post New]by RainbowExplorer on Oct 5, 11 7:17 AM
I've finished my full hour demo trial & will definitely be purchasing this quirky, whimsical, creative, clever, beautiful game. It's not intended to tax every brain cell in one's head, I don't believe, but it's original enough & warm-hearted enough, that it fits my definition of a truly FUN game! If you have enjoyed the Snark Busters two games, or The Fool, or The Tiny Bang Story - this game is along the same lines, though less cognitively taxing, at least for me. The Dr. Seuss books would fit into this type of quirky, whimsical type of fun adventure, as well. The morality tale part of it (especially with the intense greed run amok in the USA) is a big source of attraction for me, as well.

Apparently, I'm one of the few people who LOVES FROGs & would prefer them ANY DAY, over traditional HOGs. I hate hunting & pecking for items that I'm not going to use in the game, & that are often not related to the game, in any manner (including the time era or culture the story is placed in). With FROGs, the gamer is always looking for practical items that will ALWAYS be used in the game (so I'm not just wasting my time, looking through endless, meaningless junk).

The shadowed FROGs are just a more interesting twist on the FROG notion, making it a bit more challenging but not tremendously so. Comparing & contrasting shapes, sizes, & other aspects of game components, is a higher-order thinking skill, which is something I seek out, even more now that I'm well into middle age. Just a bit too much history of Alzheimer's Disease in MY family, so I'm eager to do what I can, to keep my brain working well.

Unlike many games that will have one endlessly fetching & carrying from one place to another long-distance place (wasting tons of time & energy), all of the "to and fro" in this game is done in small areas containing 5 - 6 buildings/areas, very close to each other. The developers COULD HAVE chosen to extend the playing time, by forcing us to constantly fetch/carry through longer distances, but they didn't choose to do that.

I, for one, am grateful for their decision. I HATE wasting time & energy making excessive clicks, simply to drag out the length of the game, not to add anything worthwhile or interesting, to it. Thus, I am not a bit concerned about the length of the game. To me, it's the quality, not the quantity of a game that I value.

So this "odd" person is off to buy this "odd" game & have herself some FUN!

Rainbow

Go to: