KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Chronicles of Shakespeare: Romeo & Juliet

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Oct 5, 11 8:35 AM
I am not a big fan of adventure games but as I played it I started to enjoy it more. However there are a few areas that could have been enhanced.

1. Label the hint button. At first I thought there was none, but by experimentation I found out by clicking on the "girl" it really was a hint button.

2. Minigames need to have some kind of instructions and better indications if the puzzles can be skipped or not, preferably at the start of the game. Instead of a tutorial how about a section (like they do for options) for general tips that show the different cursors, the hint button, if the minigames can be skipped, etc.

3. Some of the text went by way too fast. I am a pretty fast reader but there was some that blew by before I realized it was there or was done reading it. There was also no way to go back and reread it.

4. It was confusing at first to differentiate between the objects that needed to be found and the inventory items. At first I thought the items that appeared at the top of the screen were the inventory items. Again a general tips screen at the beginning of the game would have been helpful.

5. Labeling the navigation arrows as to where they led would have been extremely helpful. I have a bad case of CRS and kept going the wrong way (especially in the hallway). Yes the doors were label when they were locked but once you opened them they were no longer labeled.

6. BFG please do not label a game as an HOG when it is in fact an adventure game. It causes confusion and disappointment. I know some will argue that you are looking for items therefore it is an HOG but in my humble opinion a HOG game is one where there are HOG scenes to search with a list of items to find. While in an adventure game although you are looking for items, it is not the same as looking in a HOG scene. I hope that makes sense.

I must admit at first I was hands down on purchasing this one but now I am kind of on the fence. If I do purchase it, I may wait until the walkthrough is available.

[Post New]by Kiralyn34 on Oct 5, 11 8:39 AM
I am really enjoying the game. It makes you think when there are no sparkles to lead you and you have to remember where things are for when you will need them later. Kind of refreshing!

tofinofish
Shark
Shark
13,738 Posts

[Post New]by tofinofish on Oct 5, 11 8:48 AM
I was looking forward to this game coming out, I downloaded it without reading the reveiws first. I will play the demo and let you know what I think. At least now AFTER I read some of the reveiw I will know what to expect.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Oct 5, 11 9:28 AM
The game has beautiful graphics and the story is always a good. The gameplay, however, is not the best. First of all, for a story as well known as this one, it is way to talky. We know the tale so just the story telling down some. Why does the little girl seem to know more than Shakespeare? This did not seem vey hard so i cannot explain why I needed so many Hints oe why I found the child annoying. Lose her voice and just twinkle or something when I ask for a Hint please.

Sorry, this is just not for me but I am interested to see what other plays might be offered. They would need to have a good bit less chatter though.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Oct 5, 11 9:37 AM
I played the demo and I enjoyed the game, I think this game is a challenged, I don't have much time today to play more of the game but what I saw of the graphics, the game is beautiful and i liked the voice overs..This game is a buy for me later on in the month..please try to give the game a chance at least until the demo is timed out..
Thx fishes Happy gaming..
Thx DEV's for all your hard work and many hours and Kuddo's to Big Fish!!!

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Oct 5, 11 10:24 AM
I tried it for 40 min but it just isn't worth my time. Too slow moving and graphics aren't that clear either. No music but birds chirping. Puzzles are easy once you find them but you have no idea where to look or what you are doing. A very uninteresting game.. No buy here..

tofinofish
Shark
Shark
13,738 Posts

[Post New]by tofinofish on Oct 5, 11 10:50 AM
Well I just finished the demo.. I love shakespeare..

I liked the game the story was good The graphics were clear... I had no problem finding the items and working my way to the next thing to do. I liked the part where Shakesspeare shares his story with young Anna... very endearing. I good game in my opinion..will buy.

Please don't be discouraged by the first few reveiws and try the demo yourself. The items you will need area t the top.. and when the game first begins even if you have picked expert mode there is a pop up that tells you how this game works ..read it and you will have no problem.

CelticCoco
Clownfish
Clownfish
514 Posts

[Post New]by CelticCoco on Oct 5, 11 11:18 AM
It is a beautiful game, the cutscenes are too long, but well done. Only thing is I felt as if I were watching a movie instead of playing a game. That is the thing, a game implies playing, not watching. The game developers showed off their quite wonderful artistry, but really need to pull back and give us something to do. I played the demo for 20 minutes before getting too sleepy to continue.

As a veteran of games such as Myst/Riven I know that mere beauty isn't enough. Give us more interaction with the story.

Ok, gave it a few more minutes and now I see that the captions are not left on screen long enough to read. And I'm a speed reader.

Edited on 10/05/2011 at 11:32:44 AM PST

[Post New]by playfulruth on Oct 5, 11 11:40 AM
Since the reviews are so extremely mixed I feel that I have to add my two cents: I am not an adventure-game-fan, normally I prefer simple HOGs, so I was very sceptical when I started the demo - but then it grabbed me. The graphics are beautiful and if you take your time to find out how this game wants to be played it works smoothly (fortunately I had no technical problems). The hint system is fine for me, it shows where to go and where to find the necessary item, and also the puzzles are doable, I had at least no problems with the marble-puzzle and solved the second one by luck. Yes, it is a pity that there is no Skip-button and it might happen that I find myself stuck somewhere with a puzzle, but I am willing to take the risk, I think the game is worth it.

The cutscenes that some fishies found too long are in my eyes absolutely justified. This is a game with a literary background, so it needs words, many words, after all this is what Shakespeare worked with. It is therefore a pity (and a fatal sloppiness!) that some names and words are misspelled, (and why has it to be "usefull" of all words, since it comes up so often?!!!) but even this does in my eyes not harm the magic of the game.

In summary: a charming game that wants to be wooed...

dixielady627g
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,216 Posts

[Post New]by dixielady627g on Oct 5, 11 12:14 PM
I don't normally do reviews, and I don't normally do adventure games. But, I am loving this game. I wasn't sure I would even try it due to the reviews, but I am so glad that I did. I don't mind the cut scenes, as they blend in with the story line very well. The graphics are beautiful and it is a relaxing game.

Please try this yourself, you might be suprised like I was.

Happy Gaming!

Tracy

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Oct 5, 11 12:19 PM
Very well said Pepper010.

divaprods
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by divaprods on Oct 5, 11 12:24 PM
TeamSD wrote:Better than some other HOGs but still not worth pruchasing.

The story itself was really good as i read from the book but this game makes it pretty bad, frustrating and confusing. Each time you pick an object, it will say that you don't need that right now (so why can't we just pick it up?}! HOG scenes are OK, a bit on the hard side, puzzles are boring and not fun. The gameplay is bad, you need to do things in EXACT order annoying.... Graphics are beautiful and nice anyway. Will buy it as DD but not for $7

Grades:

Graphics:A
Story: C
Music: B
Puzzles: D
HOG Scenes: B
Fun: C
Gameplay: D
Overall: C

My grades can be as high as high as A* or as low as F!

divaprods
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by divaprods on Oct 5, 11 12:25 PM
I really wanted to like this game. The graphics are beautiful but the objects are difficult to find and the hint system is worthless.

[Post New]by Lissachck on Oct 5, 11 1:15 PM
I consider myself a fairly intelligent person. I am constantly trying and playing HOG's and don't find them too difficult. There are some that have been harder than others, but I've always managed to figure it out. Challenge makes the game harder, right?

With this game, though, I couldn't figure out a majority of the puzzles. The objects were almost impossible to find. The hint system, after I figured out where and what it was, did almost nothing to actually help in what I was doing.

Very pretty game and I do love the story line, but the game play itself was extremely disappointing.

lionscat
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by lionscat on Oct 5, 11 1:22 PM
I like adventure games. I like HOGs. I like Shakespeare. I just finished reading Revenger, by Rory Clements, subtitled "A Novel of Tudor Intrigue". So a combo of adventure, HOG and Shakespeare souded great. Instead, I only made it 7 minutes into the demo. Colors are dull, game is way too structured and just not fun. Try it for yourself, though its a no buy for me.

I want more MCF's!!!! Why can't we have the Malgrave Incident for PC or Mac?

PS- watch out for spiders in this one.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Oct 5, 11 1:35 PM
I thought the introduction was too long and the girl's voice sounded far too old for the picture of her I was looking at and both these things put me off the game a bit before I had actually started playing it.

The graphics were fine on my computer and I had no problems with the puzzles.

I like adventure type games but, even though I stuck with this for the whole of the demo, it just hasn't left me wanting to play more which is partly due to all the talking/reading and partly due to the subject matter. I have never been a big fan of Shakespeare even though we share a county. Sorry devs.

Cherb

sanniek1
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by sanniek1 on Oct 5, 11 1:41 PM
I was so disappointed by this game. I was expecting alot more. I liked the new release yesterday. This one was so boring that I lost interest before even half way through. I had to use the hint so much and then it just stopped working. I got to fixing romeo up and I found the key to the trunk but I could not open it. It just would not let me use the key. Alot of problems with this one if you ask me. It was so slow paced that it was boring and the story line was so slow. I wouldnt suggest getting it.

KimiKanda
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by KimiKanda on Oct 5, 11 2:00 PM
Even after reading all the negative reviews, I tried the game. To my surprise I liked the game as it has a different spin than your regular HOG. It's a good memory game, as you have to remember where you saw the last needed object. I had no problems with this game other than when it first started I received a "JR" screen with garbled colors, but after that everything was find. Try the game for yourself, then draw your own opinions. I think it's kind of quirky, when it lets you know that "now is not the time to use this object." When you press the hint button, someone talks and then shows you a view of where it is located, but you still have to search for it on your own in that location. I like the game. Thanks

I give this game and a

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Oct 5, 11 2:04 PM
Not a bad game, but could have easily been better. I don't mind having to look for items, but it is maddening when you clidk on something and it says "that would be helpful but you don't need it yet." It gets a bit frustrating. Nice graphics and voice overs, games not difficult, but need a little instruction on some, hint system not bad at all. No WT so I can't tell how long the game is. Will have to think about this one.

Just looked at the WT...very short game, maybe only 3 hours max and I'm not fast. I have to add that I do like the games where you find the items and put them together, then figure out where to use them. This is close, but no cigar (as they say).

Edited on 10/05/2011 at 2:22:36 PM PST

ELadyG1013
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by ELadyG1013 on Oct 5, 11 3:52 PM
After 8 minutes of playing the Demo, I just had to stop. I'm sure this would be a nice game to play if it was not so DARK ! The graphics are not that good, at least on my game. There is no use in me trying to play a game that I would further ruin my vision just trying to find things that I cannot see. Sorry....and I really wanted to like this one!

Go to: