limey_scale
Guppy
Guppy
191 Posts

Re:Post any Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Premature Burial CE technical issues here only

[Post New]by limey_scale on Oct 9, 11 12:03 AM
What is it with ERS games recently? Couldn't play Haunted Legends:The Bronze Horseman or this one - everything is in slow motion or I get constant black screens and takes ages when moving from one area to another - will wait for the SE and see whether there has been a fix

bfgKenai
Clownfish
Clownfish
864 Posts

Re:Post any Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Premature Burial CE technical issues here only

[Post New]by bfgKenai on Oct 9, 11 12:28 AM
Hi blanckie,

Welcome to the Pond!

Please check out bfgRhone's post above if you still need help with the letter "P" in your game

For the fishies that are experiencing problems picking up the letter "P" in the hidden object scene:

Use the lighter on the candle (to the right, on top of the coffin). Then, grab the candle and place it on the spider web with the acorn in the upper left corner.

Afterwards, you should be able to click on the letter "P".

When I played this HOS, it would only let me pick up the letter "P" after burning down the spiderweb.

blanckie wrote:Can't grab the letter P

[Post New]by Splinda0711 on Oct 9, 11 5:17 AM
Phill79 wrote:seems to be a good game, however when I entered the building and turned right up the stairs, talked to the spirit, used the hook on the wall on the left pulled down the plank, then clicked on the wall lamp on the right to zoom it, it didn't zoom it, so I couldn't break globe to get key. please help

It is not the lamp immediately on the right, it's the one next to the door.

[Post New]by Splinda0711 on Oct 9, 11 5:24 AM
Hi - I cannot get the blowpipe needle into the ether. I uncorked the ether bottle and poured the ether into the dish. I read the lab notes. The blowgun is on the table next to the bowl of ether. However, when I try to place the blowpipe needle into the ether nothing happens. I cannot seem to get the needle to connect to anything in this scene.

Thanks in advance for any advice/help -

L

[Post New]by dylansmom1979 on Oct 9, 11 8:22 AM
I played the game for a few minutes yesterday but had to stop pretty quickly after the intro scene, just picked up a few items and sawed the tree trunk.

I had to do a few things so I couldnt really play much. I started again just now to finish the demo and the mouse is so laggy. My mouse isnt lagging now that I am on the internet, just with the demo.

It wouldnt be so weird if it didnt lag yesterday.

Is this an issue I can do something about?

When the mouse lags it takes longer to do stuff so I dont get to do as much in the demo, plus its annoying.

entranced
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by entranced on Oct 9, 11 10:45 AM
bfgRhone wrote:Hi everyone,

For the fishies that are experiencing problems picking up the letter "P" in the hidden object scene:

Use the lighter on the candle (to the right, on top of the coffin). Then, grab the candle and place it on the spider web with the acorn in the upper left corner.

Afterwards, you should be able to click on the letter "P".

When I played this HOS, it would only let me pick up the letter "P" after burning down the spiderweb.

sandr1, I'm glad to hear you got the game working after downloading it again, I hope you're enjoying it!

Oaktown1, the HOS in this game seem to have random objects, which means that only the "storyline" items in a HOS are the same, the rest of the objects may vary.
You could double check the walkthrough to see if there's a chance any HOS was missed or see if the Hint button can help direct you towards the right direction.

As for fishies with performance issues, if you haven't already, I'd recommend giving the steps in the below help article a go:

<a href="http://www.bigfishgames.com/help/index.html?rn=158">Game Crashing, Freezing, or Blank Screen</a>

If your game is still giving you trouble after completing those steps, please get in touch with our <a href="http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/144284.page">Tech Support</a> and one of our reps will be more than happy to work on this with you.

bfgRhone

Omg, that's a good example of bad programming but thanks for the help.

[Post New]by Piquina on Oct 10, 11 2:19 PM
Hello everyone! I love this game it's awesome! I read the book and I compared it with the game and it's unbelievable what you've achieved!

I'm really happy for that ^_^.

I post because I'm having a big trouble with a HOS is not showing... T_T I don't know how to get to the voodoo shop¿? I read the Strategy Guide in-game, and it said I had to play a HOS to get a male fish part to open the door but the HOS is not showing I don't even know where to find it....

Please help me, I appreciate it very much with all my heart!

[Post New]by Piquina on Oct 10, 11 10:37 PM
Piquina wrote:Hello everyone! I love this game it's awesome! I read the book and I compared it with the game and it's unbelievable what you've achieved!

I'm really happy for that ^_^.

I post because I'm having a big trouble with a HOS is not showing... T_T I don't know how to get to the voodoo shop¿? I read the Strategy Guide in-game, and it said I had to play a HOS to get a male fish part to open the door but the HOS is not showing I don't even know where to find it....

Please help me, I appreciate it very much with all my heart!

My bad! T_T I forgot to check the shoulder of the rider in the Town Square... I put something missing on his shoulder and suddenly the floor opened a new path way down... and there I got the HOS working!!!!!!!!! Yay! Sorry to bother thanks anyways! =D I LOVEEE THIS GAME!

JLnn
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by JLnn on Oct 11, 11 2:17 AM
Splinda0711 wrote:Hi - I cannot get the blowpipe needle into the ether. I uncorked the ether bottle and poured the ether into the dish. I read the lab notes. The blowgun is on the table next to the bowl of ether. However, when I try to place the blowpipe needle into the ether nothing happens. I cannot seem to get the needle to connect to anything in this scene.

Thanks in advance for any advice/help -

L

I am having the same problem. Any ideas anyone?

JLnn
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by JLnn on Oct 11, 11 2:20 AM
Just figured it out. Splinda0711, you have to first place the needle next to the blowpipe, in the position shown in the SG. You can then pick up the needle and dip it into the ether.
JLnn

[Post New]by lbeck569 on Oct 11, 11 5:58 AM
I was looking forward to starting this game, but highly disappointed I could never get the game to load!! I have never had an issue loading any game up until this particular one, and I exhausted all means after several tries. I hope this gets resolved soon.

Tink44
Squid
Squid
66 Posts

[Post New]by Tink44 on Oct 11, 11 11:29 AM
Downloaded OK but couldn't get past opening screen with titles etc. Wandering cursor and then froze. This only seems to happen on a few games ie The Bronze Horseman - can't get past the stepping stones nothing will connect to the cursor. Fed up again now as I was looking forward to playing. That's two in a week I can't try.

[Post New]by sanest on Oct 11, 11 11:54 AM
ERS games...such a shame...they are lovely and on my computer completely unplayable. It's just been the past year or so that they've turned so slow and lagging. I've missed out on the wolf game, Stray Souls, Green Hills, Venice and just last week, the Bronze Horseman. Stupid me, I try every ERS game that comes out, only to end up having to delete it in disgust 30 minutes later after I've watched the objects moooooove in slooooow motion acroooooss the screeeeen. It stinks and it's only the ERS games.

bfgHondo
Manatee
Manatee
3,712 Posts

[Post New]by bfgHondo on Oct 11, 11 1:42 PM
Hi lbeck569, Tink44, and sanest,

You may want to see if there are any updates available for your video card drivers and/or other graphics software. More information can be found in the following help article:

Game Crashing, Freezing, or Blank Screen

If your game still isn't running properly after completing all of the steps in the above help article, please contact Tech Support and one of our reps will be happy to assist you further with this.

Hope this helps!

-bfgHondo

[Post New]by ladysharon on Oct 11, 11 6:44 PM
where is the nut for final section i seen 2 others on here with problem but no one answers them

Opus1965
Guppy
Guppy
172 Posts

[Post New]by Opus1965 on Oct 12, 11 4:16 AM
I still cannot play this game. I've uninstall/reinstall GM. I've uninstall/reinstall game. I've updated my video card, Shockwave, and Flash. I click on Play and it does nothing. I click Play again and it tells me a game is already running and to see in the help for Error 809. I have a laptop from Dell with Win7 Home and I bought it in August.

I was, however, able to play it on my PC. It is also Win7 Home. But I bought it last year.

I sent a message to Customer Support, but they still haven't gotten back to me.

I want to purchase this game because I have the others.

gamunds
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by gamunds on Oct 12, 11 12:40 PM
ladysharon wrote:where is the nut for final section i seen 2 others on here with problem but no one answers them

[Post New]by Scarlett11551 on Oct 12, 11 4:24 PM
rue23 wrote:
susielee wrote:I would love to purchase the game, but, it's soooo SLOW. It's like everything is in slow motion. That takes all the enjoyment out of it. Don't usually have this problem.

I have this problem too!
I have learned some things that will help; if you change your color qualities setting to 16 bit and if you move your hardware acceleration down a couple of notches. Then a few things still move slow in ERS games but it's MUCH better and I can get through them. I used this for the most recent version of Puppet Show and the Werewolf game from ERS and Grim Facade: Mystery of Venice I hope it will work on this one as well.
You can access these setting by right clicking on a blank spot on your desktop and choosing "properties" then the "Settings" tab, then you click on "Advanced" for the hardware acceleration level
Hope it works for you!

Thank you, thank you. I always had a problem with ERS games, but I did what you suggested and now I can play them.

Edited on 10/12/2011 at 4:27:17 PM PST

[Post New]by cnew121 on Oct 13, 11 7:14 AM
In the left corner in the HOS one of the items is the letter P. I have clicked on it 50 times and will not work. Help please. I have already uninstall and re-installed. Now what?

chillygirl
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by chillygirl on Oct 15, 11 8:46 PM
I'm having a problem in the crypt in the bonus level. I've played just past the match-up game. I have a kitchen knife & a paper clip in inv. The SG tells me to go down the stairs & there will be a H O scene to play but....there isn't one. I am where there are doors & a table w/a vice on it. Have I missed something?

yup...I missed the spring.

Edited on 10/15/2011 at 8:58:53 PM PST

Go to: