textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Premature Burial Collector's Editio

[Post New]by textrekkie on Oct 6, 11 2:07 PM
The kindest thing I can say about the sound track is that it can be turned all the way down. Parts of it sound like a bad French "B" movie (or it could be a bad American "B" movie depicting life in France - take your pick); parts of it sound almost Romanian (and that's not intended as an insult to the good people of Romania); other parts sound like they could be from a movie about life as a beast of burden. But no one part of it sounds like it belongs in a game with this subject matter and all of the parts certainly didn't go together.

Of great disappointment were the HOS. They are re-used too often. The art work within the scenes was low caliber. There were scenes where I received items that I didn't have to find; scenes in which brushes looked like jar lids, purses looked like a scrap of fabric, a spike was a stalk of wheat, plurals often listed for singular items, plus there was a level of "clicky-picky" that got to be very frustrating in the interactive HOS and all interactive graphic scenes in the game (trying to put objects on tables, etc.). Most of the puzzles are very easy to solve; however, they were unique and interesting and fun to play. I'm still not sure what to say about the find the roses. What was that all about? Was it meant to be fun? They really weren't even hidden...

Total play time for me using the mode where the skip/hint button recharges more slowly and active zones are not highlighted, using no hints and no skips and no SG (which does bookmark) was 4.0 hours. The bonus game added an additional 1.0 hour, for a total of 5.0 hours game time. The bonus game does NOT affect the ending of the game and is not necessary to enjoy the natural ending of the game. It is an entirely separate addendum to the ending, which will not diminish the enjoyment of those who decide to purchase the SE. So for good storyline, story development, excellent graphics, good use of voiceovers, cut scenes, ambient/background FX, I'm giving the game 3 out of 5 possible stars. I'm withholding 2 stars for the music, the HOS scenes, the clicky-picky interactive scenes and all the clues given in object descriptions/game play.

Edited on 10/18/2011 at 11:49:26 AM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Premature Burial Collector's Edition

[Post New]by jkuci on Oct 6, 11 2:47 PM

Thanks, again textrekkie!

I was likewise not enthralled!

Maybe as a DD, I'll buy it....

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Premature Burial Collector's Edition

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Oct 6, 11 3:09 PM
I am buying this right away. I love this game.. Have all of the Edgar Allen Poe games and this one seems to be the cream of the crop.. Graphic's as always superior and music goes with the game play. Give this one a 10 out of 10..

[Post New]by HereF1shyF1shy on Oct 6, 11 3:30 PM
I really wanted to like this game but the demo left me feeling pretty so-so about it. I thought the H0 scenes were too dark, even with my screen at maximum brightness. Lots of similarly colored/shaped objects made the hunting around more tedious than fun. Take that for what it's worth, though, because I'm usually more interested in the mini games and puzzles than the H0's. Speaking of which, I thought the block moving puzzle to open the mail was very clever and unique. That was pretty much the highlight of the demo for me. Others have mentioned the music being less than stellar. I agree. For me, it was the repetition of the melody that I didn't care for.

I'm thinking I'll wait until the SE comes out. For everyone else, have fun!

P.S. I decided to go ahead and give the CE a try. I'm really enjoying it. The very slow recharges are both maddening and make the game more challenging.

Edited on 10/07/2011 at 4:56:19 PM PST

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Oct 6, 11 4:10 PM
Clear graphics, good sound, good game play. I's a buy for me event though I dislike this trend to CE's

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Oct 6, 11 4:21 PM
I just finished the trial and, so far, I really like the game. The graphics are awesome but, then, ERS games always seem to have beautiful graphics. I always play in the easiest mode and I find the help ample for me. I had no technical problems and the game-play thus far has been thoroughly enjoyable! I love the voice-overs. They are very well done! I have always liked Edgar Allen Poe very much, especially his poems. I will be adding this one to my collection, along with the other Poe games. Kudos to ERS for another GREAT game!!

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Oct 6, 11 5:03 PM
Loved the demo. Great graphics and love the voices. I really enjoyed the previous Poe's and almost purchased without the demo.

Like the storyline so far.

I hope this game last longer than 4 hours as a CE.

I wish ERS would change their SG, when you click on a picture in the SG you cannot click on the screen to re-read the SG. Having to click back a page or forward a page then go back a page doesnt make sense to me. I would have thought they would have changed this a few games back.

Happy game day

Finished the game and enjoyed the game until the end. I thought the ending was a little flat, it could have gone in so many differant directions. The bonus play didnt add to the story but did give it a small twist, in my opinion. Defineatly would not rate this one as spooky lol.

Edited on 10/07/2011 at 12:27:55 AM PST

[Post New]by weaverwoman on Oct 6, 11 5:34 PM
This is EXACTLY the kind of game I love. Great, CLEAR graphics. Interesting story line (even if I figured out the ending but, hey, this isn't Pultizer Prize materials here), good voice-overs (I really get tired of bad British or French accents), and doable puzzles. This game gave me several hours of enjoyment this afternoon. Thanks

moonladydi
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,113 Posts

[Post New]by moonladydi on Oct 6, 11 5:35 PM
Couldn't stop playing till I finished the game. I love ERS and thought the Bonus game was well worth the extra money. Quite complicated, decent length, and added a nice plot twist to the story. Had to skip a couple of the puzzles, definately not too easy although I could have worked them out with a bit of patience. Great game, and I'm happy I didn't wait for the SE.

grannyq
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by grannyq on Oct 6, 11 6:09 PM
0h my I couldn,t believe my eyes. I have been waiting for this superb game. I demoed it and loved the game. I almost didn't try the demo because I'm trying not to buy any CE's at this time. Money is tight but this game is right so I took the plunge. If you are holding back think again. This promises to be a great game!

Mapsman
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by Mapsman on Oct 6, 11 6:34 PM
textrekkie wrote:The absolute kindest thing I can say about the sound track is that it can be turned all the way down. Parts of it sound like a bad French "B" movie (or it could be a bad American "B" movie depicting life in France - take your pick); parts of it sound almost Romanian (and that's not intended as an insult to the good people of Romania); other parts sound like they could be from a movie about life as a beast of burden. But no one part of it sounds like it belongs in a game with this subject matter and all of the parts certainly didn't go together.

Of great disappointment in this game were the HOS. The art work within the scenes was very low caliber. There were scenes where I received items that I didn't have to find; scenes in which brushes looked like jar lids, purses looked like a scrap of fabric, a spike was a stalk of wheat, plurals often listed for singular items, plus there was a level of "clicky-picky" that got to be very frustrating in the interactive HOS and all interactive graphic scenes in the game (trying to put objects on tables, etc.). Most of the puzzles are very easy to solve; however, they were unique and interesting and fun to play. I'm still not sure what to say about the find the roses. What was that all about? Was it meant to be fun? They really weren't even hidden...

Total play time for me using the mode where the skip/hint button recharges more slowly and active zones are not highlighted, using no hints and no skips and no SG (which does bookmark) was 4.0 hours. The bonus game added an additional 1.0 hour, for a total of 5.0 hours total game time. The bonus game does NOT affect the ending of the game and is not necessary to enjoy the natural ending of the game. It is an entirely separate addendum to the ending, which will not diminish the enjoyment of those who decide to purchase the SE. So for good storyline, story development, excellent graphics, good use of voiceovers, cut scenes, ambient/background FX, I'm giving the game 3 out of 5 possible stars. I'm withholding 2 stars for the music, the HOS scenes, the clicky-picky interactive scenes and all the clues given in object descriptions/game play.

This is exactly the type of review that I look for because it answers the questions that I always have. I'm stealing your "clicky-picky" phrase for use in future reviews, BTW.

[Post New]by princessbutter1 on Oct 6, 11 6:41 PM
[i]Thanks fishes for telling me about the roses I was just taking them when I came to them now I know why

[Post New]by princessbutter1 on Oct 6, 11 6:42 PM
[i]Thanks fishes for telling me about the roses I was just taking them when I came to them now I know why

katejoe999
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by katejoe999 on Oct 6, 11 8:39 PM
Valdy wrote:
Valdy wrote:
alpha_Tau wrote:Potential spoilers!!!

Pepper010 wrote:... Just two very small nitpicks.

Along with this one: I wish that they had explained why you want the roses the very first time that you see one.

This one caught me out ...

Watch out!!! You can't complete the game without collecting all 33 roses.

The SG states that you will get a chance to collect any missing roses, but, right at the end, tells you that you have to go back through the game zones to find them!!!

If you don't want to be bored to death, make sure that you find them all. You cannot proceed to the bonus level without this.

The game has been a considerable improvement on more recent offerings, especially other CEs, which have often been faulty or relatively short, etc.

With all that, it's a pity that, as Pepper010 noted, the pre-requisite of the rose collection was not clearly stated at the outset, along the lines of "You will need to collect all 33 roses to complete the game.".

Best regards,
aT

Ah... So am I to assume that if I buy the SE, there won`t be any roses to collect, since they are to be used in the bonus level - something I didn`t know.

Can anyone advise me on the issue about the roses?

Thanks.

Just posted about this in another thread but will clarify here too. You do need the roses to end the game but they are part of the ending. You don't need them to access the bonus game. I would imagine that the SE will include collecting roses as they provide a lovely end

winkadink
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by winkadink on Oct 6, 11 9:05 PM
I definitely love this game. I have 2 other Dark Tales games, The Black Cat and Murders in the Rue Morgue and loved them both. When the demo finished I was very disappointed; I just wanted to continue playing. But unfortunately I have to wait for the SE edition because of lack of funds. Yes, thank you all for the great reviews. Most of the time I depend on them before I demo a game. But this one I knew I wanted tp try it right away because of my past experiences with the EA Poe series. I really like finding the extra items from scene to scene (in this case the roses). However, most games don't let you to track back through the scenes to locate the recurring item if you have not found them all by the end of the game. I wish developers would either let you track back or at least let you know before you leave a scene if there are more to find before you are cut off from that scene and can never return. Thanks.

kathey12
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by kathey12 on Oct 6, 11 10:50 PM
THANK YOU ERS and BF!!

This game was SUPERB!! I enjoyed everything the collectors edition offered!!
I was amazed at how the initial sketches became the final scenes! Bravo to the artists!

I appreciated the different puzzles! The interactive hidden object scenes were great!
This game had everything I could want in a hidden object/adventure game!

I am looking forward to the next ERS game!

zorroback2
Herring
Herring
302 Posts

[Post New]by zorroback2 on Oct 7, 11 3:38 AM
BRAVISSIMO to ERS & BFG!!!!

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Oct 7, 11 6:00 AM
Terrific game, thoroughly enjoyed it. I must say hats off to the one who completed it in 3 and a half hours!. Took me 4 and a half, but then I did use the SG an awful lot.

I saw someone referring to the 2 previous EAP games. I only have 1 so I'm off to find the third one right now.

Thanks Devs, keep up the good work.

Riverman73
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Riverman73 on Oct 7, 11 6:09 AM
In terms of gameplay, i like this one better then the last 3 or 4 ERS games: there is a bit more challenge to be found in using the inventory objects and some of the puzzles are more difficult then usual (I especially loved the post-office one).

But...

I have some bigger and smaller complaints also:
- That 'woosh'-sound whenever you find a Hidden Object or an inventory object is extremely annoying. Please ERS people, leave it out the next time!
- The graphics in the Hidden Object scenes have taken a step back in quality it seems. In earlier ERS-games they seemed more detailed.
- Allthough i havent finished the game yet, it seems on the short side again.
- Why are towns in ERS games ALWAYS deserted? i like to see some people and livelieness for a change.. lol

My verdict so far: 3,5 out of 5 stars.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Oct 7, 11 6:11 AM
I think I may have bought this game if not for all the HOGs. I couldn't believe how many there were. At each and every turn you have to play another and another, plus they aren't easy to find items. I didn't finish the demo due to this issue. I had 4 min left.

Go to: