mkinyon
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

Re:Reviews for Reincarnations: Back to Reality Collector's Edition

[Post New]by mkinyon on Oct 9, 11 9:44 AM
I finished the demo in about 45 minutes in so-called Extreme mode. I am not sure how long it would have taken in Casual mode (20 minutes, perhaps?). Aside: As is typical with these games with prearranged demos, there seems to be the usual crowd of folks believing they were promised 60 minutes of demo time. One would hope that a second look at the download page would convince those people that there is no such promise. To those who realize what it actually says there, but still believe that 60 minute demos are essential: I disagree with you, but respect the fact that your point of view is not based on a misperception.

Getting back to the game: first, I'll note that I did not play the first two Reincarnations games, and so will refrain from comparisons. The art style of this game is, not surprisingly, reminiscent of other Vogat games, such as Elixir of Immortality or Gravely Silent (unless my powers of reminiscence are weak). So if you don't care for that style, you won't like this either, but I think it is fine. The hidden object scenes are very mushy, though. The number of such scenes is acceptable to me, not too many, not too few.

The yellow and orange door lock puzzle does indeed have slightly wonky controls. The puzzle itself is not hard in the sense that it is clear what you have to do. But you have to have a pretty steady touch with your mouse or (in my case) touchpad to move the parts around.

The strategy guide is accessible from within the game (that is, it is not necessary to go back to the main menu). I checked it once just to see if it would stay open to the last page read after being closed and reopened, and yes indeed, it does. Thanks to Vogat for getting that right. The game is not difficult (so far), so I am not sure how much the guide would really need to be consulted during game play.

I agree with those who have commented sardonically on the opening cut scene. I am becoming convinced that besides having time traveling grandfathers, another thing common to hidden object game protagonists is that they must have very high auto insurance rates.

All in all, I would say this is an OK offering from Vogat. I am not sure if it is CE worthy and will wait until the early buyers comment on the bonus play before deciding. For the SE version, I would lean in the direction of a buy, and certainly would with a punch card credit or as a DD.

EDIT: After reading additional comments on the bonus play, I have decided not to purchase the CE version.

Edited on 10/09/2011 at 3:22:51 PM PST

probaby221
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by probaby221 on Oct 9, 11 9:58 AM
The game will play except the sound seem mess up... does anyone experience the same thing

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Oct 9, 11 10:59 AM
Love the game. Have the frist two and they seem to get better with each one. Graphic's are great and storyline a good one. I enjoy the games by Vogat and can't wait to get back.. It will be a buy for me..

ELadyG1013
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by ELadyG1013 on Oct 9, 11 11:25 AM
Downloaded the Demo and played the full 60. It was not bad ! Actually I liked the game, I'm not sure if I want to buy the CE, but will consider it. It's definately my kinda game...you know...a tad spooky...with ghosts and run down buildings. Graphics are really nice, hidden objects are not hidden in darkness ( I HATE when Devs do that). Over all this will most likely end up in my collection Thanks to the Devs and BFG for this one!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Oct 9, 11 11:32 AM
Played this one in casual mode and had 24 minutes left in the demo. I'm not speedy, but I'm also no slow poke, so you will need to gage for yourself. I have the other two Reincarnation games and liked them both. I like this one as well...very nice graphics, music and game play. HOGs not difficult, but some take a little thought, same with the games. Didn't notice any "fuzzy" graphics. Interesting story line, different for a change (has that silly "blinking eye" fx). Will buy this one, even if it is a CE.

Thanks for all the reviews. They are all helpful.

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Oct 9, 11 11:39 AM
My review after demo:
I like it and will most likely buy it.

There is the usual "back and forth" which I do like. I didn't check the SG but others have very good comments about it. I do like the bit of interaction in the H0 scenes as it gives a bit more to do. I don't really like having to click "OK" when I've finished the scene and find something I need. I prefer to click the item and have it go directly into inventory. As usual for me, when I enter a scene I will "look" at everything before I try the H0 scene...this gives me a "heads up" of what I might need in the future. The graphics are good - just not quite as sharp as I like. I skipped the yellow/orange door puzzle too as I did not understand exactly how to do it...I should have checked the SG or come here to see what others did! I cannot remember another game telling me after the demo (if I have time left) that I can replay the demo with another profile name...not saying it hasn't happened...just I haven't noticed it before.

Overall, a good game and a sure-buy for me.

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Oct 9, 11 11:54 AM
Rudygeegee wrote:TeamSD -
Do you have any games that you have rated entirely as A*? Looking for the ultimate HOG/Adventure game....already have about 50 that are pretty good...

Grades:

Graphics: A*
Story: A*
Music: A*
Puzzles: A
HOG Scenes: A
Fun: A*
Gameplay: A*
Overall: A*

My grades can be as high as A* or as low as F!
[/i]

In MY opinion,these games take the cake in my library & the ones I replay the most
Phantasmat (this is a GREAT game)
Mystery Trackers: Raincliff
Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove, Return to Ravenhurst, 13 skulls (MCF, all their games are good)
Vaultcracker
Shiver:vanishing Hitch hiker
dark parables: briar rose or exiled prince
nightfall mysteries: curse of the opera OR asylum conspiracy
penny dreadfuls-sweeney todd
hidden expedition-devils triangle
vampire saga-pandora's box

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

[Post New]by vingilot on Oct 9, 11 11:59 AM
Graphics were a bit on the fuzzy side in some places here as well. H0 scenes are lists and include a couple of interactive items. Puzzles so far are on the easy side. I played the demo in extreme mode and nearly finished the first chapter in the hour, so for me, looks to be on the short side. I did result to the SG once; couldn't figure out where to put that derned squirrel.

I'll be waiting for the SE but look forward to it eagerly.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Oct 9, 11 12:35 PM
I loved this game, I know as soon as it comes out in SE i will buy, Thx DEV's and BF, You have out done yourselves on this game,,Be sure to have something awesome for Halloween like 13 skulls part 2, I still play that game over and over it is one of your best games..happy gaming fishes

schobey
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by schobey on Oct 9, 11 1:38 PM
Bought and just finished the game. I really enjoyed this game. Keepem comming Kudos to you and the devs. Checked out the other games at the end and I've played and got them all. (Over the time when they wew offered) Thanks again. OMG I just morphed, how cool.

Edited on 10/09/2011 at 1:41:33 PM PST

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Oct 9, 11 1:42 PM
This game is o.k. Kinda blurry and grainy. I really enjoyed the first 2. So far the first one was my favirote out these. The story is very confussing, but I've played the first 2, so I know where it's going. All in all it's an o.k. game. But, I think I'll wait for the SE version myself. But I do love the developers. Enjoy!

I rate this game: "PIGLET"

PIGLET:
Good game. I like it! Hog,Frog,Ihog,Adventure . For true lover's of these types of games
‘ ‘
(o)

ledheadmelli
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ledheadmelli on Oct 9, 11 1:48 PM
I never participate in arguments at this forum - it's the one safe place on the web where I can have intelligent and funny discussions without having to wade thru racist, political and religious mudslinging. However, and maybe I'm just having a pissy day, two postings really upset me here.

The first one concerned a comment that people who have to decide between the CE and SE due to budget concerns perhaps shouldn't be buying games. Maybe the poster didn't realize how insensitive that kind of remark is, but there are a lot of people suffering these days, myself included. Still, I allow myself the small bit of escape of buying a game or two every month. Sometimes more when there is a good sale or I'm close to filling a punchcard. But I could win the lottery tomorrow and I will still think long and hard before I pay double for a game just because it has an extra 40 minutes of play and wallpapers. I always have been and always will be frugal - it's how I was raised. I've been trained well to survive in this type of economy, but others are just learning, and they don't need to be insulted by cavalier comments about whether their spending habits meet someone else's approval.

The other comment concerned Team SD, who always posts first when a game comes out. I don't know this person from Adam, but I think it's very unfair to make the accusations that were made, especially in a public forum. I've seen a similar comment in another thread, and it was explained that Team SD (who is 3 hrs ahead of Seattle) has permission from BFG to start the thread early so that there will be plenty of info for us West Coasters by the time midnight rolls around for us. Hopefully, a moderator can clear this up here, rather than just remove the offending posts and leave others wondering whether such accusations could be true.

I don't want to start or participate in an argument, just want my pond to stay as unpolluted as possible. Let's play nice, shall we?

Riverman73
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Riverman73 on Oct 9, 11 1:50 PM
A short review about halfway during the game:

Very ugly looking cutscenes and a bit confusing beginning.

The graphics in the first chapter seemed less good then those in the first 2 Reincarnations games.
The Hidden Object scenes are not overly difficult, but rather unclear graphicwise with a lot of tiny objects also.
Some familiar puzzles, some new ones. You can click the hint-button for instructions.

2 out of 5 starts up to that point

The quality of the game became surprisingly better in level 2. The graphics were more clear and not so overcrowded, the use of inventory objects was challenging in a fun way and there were was a fun puzzle were you had to change two chameleons to look like eachother (sort of: 'spot' the differences and change those by using several objects).
While i was often annoyed by level 1, the gameplay in level 2 seemed a lot more fun. My manor complaint still are the rather unclear, graphically poor Hidden Object scenes. You don't suspect such low quality scenes in a CE, at least I don't.

Level 3 seems to continue in the vain of level 2 qualitywise. So overall this might a be decent game after all: 3 out of 5 probably, but i doubt this is worth the CE price overall.

Edited on 10/09/2011 at 1:53:06 PM PST

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Oct 9, 11 1:56 PM
sunnyglow[i wrote:(]Removed by moderator)[/i]

i find teams reviews fair and informative, and calling someone out and accusing them of being a alsia is against tos....and no wonder people stop giving reviews with replies like this.....bizzare!!!

Edited on 10/11/2011 at 3:54:22 AM PST

Dialogue
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by Dialogue on Oct 9, 11 2:01 PM
I played about one half hour of the demo. I will definitely buy it. The three modes of play is a very good idea. I wish more developers would do this. Casual is good for people who don't play a lot of these type games. Challenge is good for me as I usually need instructions/help in a few minigames within a game. The expert mode is something I'm not quite ready for yet. No help at all? Not my cup of tea. At least you can skip the minigames if you want to although you'll have to wait awhile to do it. I hope Vogat continues these options. I like their games and will continue to buy them. I'll have to wait until I can afford the Collector's Edition though. I like to buy Collector's Editions for games that the deveopers spent some time on. They deserve it if I can afford to pay it.

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Oct 9, 11 2:05 PM
Review on demo only:

I liked that there were 3 options of difficulty however, the only way to get NO sparkles was to play the expert level and in that level it gives you no direction on mini games and no hints in the hidden object scenes. I could deal in the H0G scenes but some of the mini games I needed guidance on and there's no skip so I fumbled around on the orange/yellow one for a while, wasn't really clear at first so I found that weird. Why couldn't the advanced level have no sparkles but at least give some guidance to what to do in mini games? That option would have been nice.

Sound controls were weird, had to turn up sound effects as the music drowned it out. The music did not seem fitting to the game, it made me feel kind of depressed while I was playing it so I turned it down some. The FONT on the hidden object scenes was extremely small like prolly 11-12pt and interactive but the graphics weren't the best and totally junk piled and it was hard especially since I had no hints. Like I looked for a "cap" forever thinking it was like a baseball cap but it was a bottle cap. Would have been nice to fine tune that as I was just clicking randomly at that point and got lucky.

There are 4 chapters and an underwater world bonus game. The chapters seem short but there are lots to do. In the hour of play, I got about 3 pages into the 2nd chapter so it seems to be a 5 hour game? (MAC users get the full hour, not the sample) I did have to replay the same hidden object scenes at least 2-3 times in the first chapter and there was A LOT of hidden object scenes, way more than I like.

Will I buy this? good question. Not as a CE thats for sure but I used to love Vogat games because they were out of the ordinary. They had their own formula with bright, inventive games and I liked they did stuff that other developers didn't. Like they had eerie games and mystery games but they always kept the game bright as if you weren't in a spooky game and they had cute creatures and just out of the box thinking especially the 2nd in this series but I feel like they are now changing their style to go along with whats popular not realizing that their games, the way they used to be, were very popular and it seems a lot of fishies feel like I do, and want that old, unique style back that made their games so special. Maybe a SE buy? Im just not as moved as I was when I played the 2nd one

Edited on 10/09/2011 at 2:10:23 PM PST

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Oct 9, 11 2:11 PM
schobey wrote:Bought and just finished the game. I really enjoyed this game. Keepem comming Kudos to you and the devs. Checked out the other games at the end and I've played and got them all. (Over the time when they wew offered) Thanks again. OMG I just morphed, how cool.

wtg on your morph schobey, can you give a approx time on game length

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Oct 9, 11 2:47 PM
This will be an addendum to my initial review after playing the demo version.
Total game time for me, playing in extreme mode with no hints, no skips and no SG was 5 hours. The bonus chapter added 1 hour (barely) for total game play of 6 hours. The bonus chapter does honor game mode choices. The SG does bookmark.

The game is split into four different stories (or books) representing past lives. The thrust of the stories are that the main character wasn't everything she/he could have been in that past life and didn't do all that could be done to make the lives of others better, save the lives of others, do the right thing...something(we're not actually told what he/she did or didn't do--just that they didn't do the what they shudda/cudda.

The stories were interesting, but without much, I dunno, zing to them. They come off rather flat and matter of fact. No emotion, no goosebumps...nada. There are many, many HOS, all used at least twice. I did find a few items that were "clicky-picky" (had to click the tip of a sword, not the handle; the bottom of a bottle, not the top, etc.), but just a few. Between the HOS and the puzzles (all of which need several pieces found before working), I felt pretty worn out at the end of each book. The music was pleasant and complimented the game. I kept it on low all during play. Overall, the game was enjoyable but not memorable and not the best I've seen from Vogat. The bonus chapter is another story/book. It has no effect on the ending of the game, since each book is completely it's own tale, so people buying the SE won't miss out on anything, except another book except sadly, in this case, it happens to be the best book.

For interesting storyline/story development, game graphics, technical gameplay, FX,etc., play modes, and music I'm giving it 3 and 1/2 stars. I'm withholding 1 1/2 stars for murky HOS graphics, short bonus chapter and the "blahs". 1/2

Edited on 10/11/2011 at 8:17:20 PM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 9, 11 3:10 PM
Thanks for the review, Textrekkie. I always look forward to hearing from you what you thought of the bonus game.

However, on this occasion, because I was able to see what`s in the bonus game when I looked at the SG, I didn`t need to wait to realise that I didn`t want to play the bonus game. It wasn`t for me. So I am waiting for the SE to come out.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Oct 9, 11 3:34 PM
A little hazy as to how to start the game, and the door puzzle is zonkers, but neither is a show stopper. Good graphics and sound. Not as good as the earlier Vogat games, but still worth a look. It's a buy for me. Your mileage may vary. Try the free demo.

Go to: