tofinofish
Shark
Shark
13,738 Posts

Re:Reviews for Haunted Halls: Fears from Childhood Collector's Edition

[Post New]by tofinofish on Oct 13, 11 3:22 PM
I really really liked this one.. the trail seemed only five minutes I was so involved in the game. It also made me think of Autumn_Leaf I think she would like the part where you get to use a chainsaw. When I save another credit I am definetely going to get this one.

The music was suitably spooky, the graphics I thought were clear and very well done. A regular Stephen King story line using someones fears against them. You should absolutely give the demo a try.

schobey
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by schobey on Oct 13, 11 3:34 PM
Kudos and ERS. Another winner. Great story line, good graphics, and reasonable lenght. Looking forward to more keep em coming.

iamlindy
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by iamlindy on Oct 13, 11 3:52 PM
I usually want ERS games as soon as they come out but not this one for some reason. I don't know if it was the story line but I lost interest about 20 minutes in and started thinking about other things I should be doing. For me that is really unusual. The game was OK but not great. For those of you who love it great and have fun playing. It just didn't catch me like the others have. Great scenes to look at and lots of things to find and do. There are other games that have my interest now I guess. Happy Gaming Fishies, thanks for all the great comments. I love reading the forums

yogagirl50
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by yogagirl50 on Oct 13, 11 4:03 PM
I love this game, but it is way too short and too easy. I am not sorry that I bought it at all - I really enjoyed it, but every segment was just too self-contained and solved too easily. I payed on casual, so maybe it could have been more challenging, but I didn't use a single hint and fpund my way through all of it very quickly.

ddr_cyclone102
Guppy
Guppy
136 Posts

[Post New]by ddr_cyclone102 on Oct 13, 11 5:03 PM
@iamlindy if you don't mind me asking what other games have your interest right now? I found this one not keeping mine also, and I'm not to happy about it. I loved the first one and was so eager for this one to come out and it was just ok. I'll get the SE when it comes out, but feel kind of let down. Was my expectations too high or what??? But it is a beautiful game let that be said the graphics were great

staciepie27
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by staciepie27 on Oct 13, 11 5:04 PM
Hi everyone

Overall, another great game from ERS. They consistently put out high quality games. However, that said, I found the game to be very easy, even on expert mode, although there are some very nice elements to it. Some of the puzzles are original, and the HOG scenes are well done, if not a bit junk pile. I also loved the graphics and cut scenes, both top notch. The music is rehashed from other ERS games, like Puppetshow and the other Haunted Hall games. They really need some new music.

My problem is that even though this game is great quality, it is far too easy for experienced expert players. The trial took me 39 minutes, and I have heard that this is a 3-4 hour game, which is really short for a CE edition. What I really would like is a challenging HOPA game that really elevates the genre, but I have a feeling it won't be from ERS. They seem satisfied in just pushing out the same old, same old, and their games are becoming to similar to one another in theme and look. It is getting harder and harder to distinguish one from another.

That said, new players to the HOG genre will most likely enjoy this game, and I would too if I hadn't already played a million games like this one before. There are so many "children-in-peril" games now. I wish game studios would produce some games with other themes.

My grades:

Special Features( voice overs, cut scenes): A
Graphics: A
Music: C ( same music from other games-boring)
Gameplay: B
Puzzles: B
HOG scenes: B( a bit junkpile)
Mode of play( hard mode): C( very easy in hard mode if you are experienced)
Game Issues: none
Overall Grade: B

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Oct 13, 11 5:12 PM
CasualGran wrote:
cbtx wrote:Another fantastic game from ERS.
Graphics are excellent--gameplay is precise and smooth--story is very engaging, but be warned that some of the themes involving childhood fears may be disturbing to some.
The only complaint is that this game, like ALL ERS games has no widescreen option. It seems to me that if other devs can easily provide this , ERS could too and it would make their great games even better! Just saying.
But overall a must buy.

Don't exactly know what you mean. I have a widescreen monitor, 1920 x 1080 screenresolutions standard, and the game plays perfectly fullscreen. So... maybe it's not ERS that's causing your trouble?

My monitor's recommended resolution is 1366 x 768 which is pretty standard for the laptops these days. About half the games offer this WS option, but apparerntly ERS does not--a real shame since there's not much programming effort to accomplish that. With no option for it at all, it's probably not going to change anytime soon. According to Customer Support, some devs do and some don't. Oh well, still a remarkable and beautiful game!

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Oct 13, 11 5:30 PM
Here we go again another great CE game. I haven't found one I did like.

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Oct 13, 11 5:32 PM
ddr_cyclone102 wrote:@iamlindy if you don't mind me asking what other games have your interest right now? I found this one not keeping mine also, and I'm not to happy about it. I loved the first one and was so eager for this one to come out and it was just ok. I'll get the SE when it comes out, but feel kind of let down. Was my expectations too high or what??? But it is a beautiful game let that be said the graphics were great

obviously Im not "Iamlindy" but Ive found a lot of hidden object games don't keep my interest anymore as I am not a new gamer and been with BFG since 2007, left for awhile but then came back in 2009 so I have played LOTS of games. I started realizing recently that I really like the adventure part of hidden object games and I start to cringe when I see hidden object scenes like they annoy me and I used to be a hidden object fanatic like had to have everything so I started checking out Adventure Games large file-adventure to be exact. Some you can't trial, others you can but I started trying out the ones you could trial and reading reviews and looking at snapshots and so I decided to just go for it. Ive wasted $6.99 on a bunch of casual games that bored me, why not try something new and BFG has a policy if it doesnt work they'll refund you so why not? So anyways I have become a big fan of adventure games. I started with the Art of Murder Series and now Im doing Syberia which is one of the best games Ive ever played. They are so engrossing, there are walkthroughs you can find online if you get stuck. 6.99 pays for basically a game that will take you at least a week if not more to play and so when the casual hidden object games are dry like most have been to me where Im bored in the recent months, Ive been playing adventure and I LOVE them. I cannot say enough good things especially since in a lot of them you have to use your brain to actually find out what to do, you can use a walkthrough but sometimes you have to combine objects, always remember to save the game while you are playing and before you quit it and they are really fun. just my personal opinion of course but if you like the adventure aspect of these games you should at least look into large file games. =)

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Oct 13, 11 6:14 PM
Well it looks like I'm in the minority here, but I won't be buying this game. I didn't by the prequil, partly because of that tentacled thing that kept appearing, it turned my stomach, and I thought it was depressing. Now to this extension of the first one....again, the tentacled thing...my big complaint thus far in the demo is when the developers feel they have to cloud over the hidden object scenes. I don't know if they do this because they think it makes the game seem more eerie, or what. I just know that it makes it harder from some of us to find the objects when we have to look through a cloud of smoke, even if it's only over part of the scene, as it is in the first two h. o. scenes. I don't know if this continues with every h. o. scene in the game, as I gave up and quit, it gives me a headache trying to find the objects when they do this. I also feel that there was way to much stuff in these scenes.

userfree
Guppy
Guppy
168 Posts

[Post New]by userfree on Oct 13, 11 7:36 PM
LovetoMissLisa wrote:There are just some words when reading a review that stand out and you don't have to read anymore. And those word's are ER's. That in it's self says it all. When looking for a good game if you see these letter's, you run to buy it. And if you see the letter's HdO, you run away as fast as you can. lol This is a great game and it's a buy for me. Has everything I'm looking for, widescreen,voiceovers,2 modes of play,great graphics,great story. It's ER's, I need not say anything more.

I rate this game: "FINE SWINE"
Great game with the best graphics and story. Bells and whistles, best, greatest, I love it.
‘ ‘
(o)LovetoMissLisa I couldn't have said it better; I too am a great fan ERS and when I download a game and see HdO, I immediately uninstall (maybe not the fairest of things 'cause we don't know if they've gotten better) This one's a winner as all the others.

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

[Post New]by Janie42 on Oct 13, 11 8:00 PM
Sadly agree with those who find Fears formulaic...
nothing special--& feel ERS (the dev) has really gone downhill--
esp. re creativity, quality & length.

From demo, seems a gimmick that Dr. is now using kids' souls!
Story's not much--Fears just uses kids' souls idea to string together each chapter's otherwise unrelated sceneries/environments, that's all.

Voiceovers are better than usual BUT everything else is not as good...
especially the graphics have really failed/disappointed.
(Just take a look at Black Cat & you'll immediately see how this game's graphics, lighting & special effects are quite poor in comparison.)

HOGscenes are especially poor! Beside they're mostly junkpiles, many objects are ugly, incompletely drawn/detailed & don't blend in or look right. You can ignore the search lists, just click on what doesn't fit or looks pasted on--seriously.

Worse, game is way too easy even in advanced. Puzzles are just ok so far, not challenging--& really, the plot is nonsense, e.g., put food on the back of a hedgehog?

Fears isn't as interesting as the 1st & production values & length (only 3-4 hrs for experienced) have really dropped: maybe ok as SE but not CE-worthy IMO.
Disappointing...

[ETA to add about short length.]

Edited on 10/14/2011 at 4:02:24 AM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Oct 13, 11 8:23 PM

I played the entire demo but it didn't engage me.

I think I'll quit HOGs and start back to straight adventures. I'm currently enjoying The Last Express and the new Blackwell. Blackwell Deception.

Happy Gaming!

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

[Post New]by pgillenw on Oct 13, 11 10:01 PM
I enjoyed the game -- great overall. Unable to complete due to the "water pipe" not being stored in inventory after HOS. Will reply when BF informs us the bug is fixed.

The games art work is superb and it tied in the nefarious Doctor's deranged doings quite well.

I look forward to replaying when the bug has been addressed.

I noticed that a poster indicated the game had no widescreen option. The game launches in widescreen. Perhaps the poster meant no windowed mode.

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Oct 13, 11 11:49 PM
TeamSD wrote:Developer: ERS Game Studios

I know what I should expect from ERS, and I never disappoint!

After I loved the first one and waiting desperately to rescuing Tim, this one is even better! Graphics are wonderful, scenes are interesting and story is very unique. The plot is similar to Green Hills Sanitarium but this time instead of fearing the patients, they're fearing the children! Puzzles in this game are really great, enjoy all of them so far. Voice overs are great, music are also really great. Some of us said that ERS used similar music in every if their games, music in this one are a bit different but still really great Another definite buy for me...

Grades:

Graphics: A*
Story: A*
Music: A*
Puzzles: A*
HOG Scenes: A
Fun: A*
Gameplay: A*
Overall: A*

My grades can be as high as A* or as low as F!

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Oct 13, 11 11:51 PM
To Team SD:

Do you people ever give a negative review? It would really be interesting to read a review that was something other than glowing from you.

Dianneamyte
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Dianneamyte on Oct 14, 11 1:27 AM
darkdisciple1313 wrote:Let me say right from the start that I don't believe this is a bad game, so as to stave off the inevitable, "You hate hidden-object games, ya big meanie!"

That's not it at all. It's just that after having sampled and/or played games like this for nearly two years now, I've gotten a little jaded. As such, while the story in HH:FCC is interesting, that's the only unique thing that would lead me to recommend this game. The gameplay is the same, the music is the same, the graphics are the same...you get the picture. While I have no problems with people playing things safe, I would love to see this company (and others) break out of its comfort zone and try something a little different. Too many game developers have gotten into such a rut that each new game seems just like the one before it, and that's just sad.

Now for the good news. Other than my light disdain for the "children in jeopardy" genre of thrillers (Mary Higgins Clark pretty much killed my interest in that particular style of writing), the story, as stated, is interesting, as was the previous one in this series. I'd love to hack off a few tentacles every once in awhile, as they are annoying beyond belief, but other than that minor quibble, the plot kept me interested enough to keep playing, even if the boring hidden-object scenes did not. I will admit that a couple of the puzzles were different than any I'd seen before (in particular, the one with the stalactites/stalagmites, which was quite fun), which also kept me interested. I also enjoyed the Myst-like use of books to go from one world to another (without giving away any spoilers).

So the verdict? The game, such as it is, is not bad. It's just...nice. That's it. I'd say buy it if you're really interested in this series. I won't be doing so this month, since I've recently spent over $80 on three game-of-the-year and ultimate editions of older games for the PS3, which pretty much blew my gaming budget out of the water. In a few months, I might get this, since it's really not bad. It's just...meh.

Enjoy!

This review pretty much sums how I am feeling about the ER games. Although they are beautifully done, they are all pretty much the same. And, in my opinion, pretty much for beginning players. I do wish that some more complicated games could be offered to us pretty soon. Does anyone remember the "Deleware St. John" series. If so, they are a good example of what I am talking about. Sure would like to s

[Post New]by LapTopDancerr on Oct 14, 11 1:36 AM
textrekkie wrote:This review is based on the demo version.

Haunted Halls: Fears from Childhood is the second in the Haunted Halls series from ERS. Up front options are the typical sliders for music and sound, options for full screen and custom cursor. Two play modes are offered, Regular cabin, the left background looks pretty good and shows a bird.........

This is the THIRD installment of Haunted Halls. The first one was an SE and the second a CE/SE. Originally purchased SE, never got around to reading reviews and then noticed as time passed, most reviews said the HH SE had an abrupt ending and the CE "cleaned things up". I then purchased the CE and have to agree with the majority of reviews for HH CE II.

Speaking of Bonus Games, I just read 3 pages of reviews here of HH III Demos and only 2 people said they purchased, completed the game but left out the important info all the demo reviews do not have...
The Bonus Portion.

When I read reviews I start with the last one written and work my way to the beginning until I have read enough complete reviews to make my decision.I'd like to know your general thoughts on the bonus and if the bonus is a necessary ending for the game, a trailer for the next game (sequel), a bunch of unrelated games/HOS, approximate length and if it ties up any loose ends in the main game. OR if it has a decent ending for all the SE buyers.
Thanks!

Edited on 10/14/2011 at 2:20:20 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 14, 11 2:33 AM
LapTopDancerr wrote:
textrekkie wrote:This review is based on the demo version.

Haunted Halls: Fears from Childhood is the second in the Haunted Halls series from ERS. Up front options are the typical sliders for music and sound, options for full screen and custom cursor. Two play modes are offered, Regular cabin, the left background looks pretty good and shows a bird.........

This is the THIRD installment of Haunted Halls. The first one was an SE and the second a CE/SE. Originally purchased SE, never got around to reading reviews and then noticed as time passed, most reviews said the HH SE had an abrupt ending and the CE "cleaned things up". I then purchased the CE and have to agree with the majority of reviews for HH CE II.

Thanks!

You are quite wrong, of course, LapTopCancerr. TexTrekkie is correct, and everybody knows that the CE always comes out first. Perhaps you just missed it.

The CE of the first "Haunted Halls" game came out on 28. October 2010.
The SE version of this game came out on 27. November 2010 - just as always, a month later.

ETA: And you don`t call it 2 instalments when first the CE and then the SE of the same game comes out. It`s the same game, after all. Just without the extras.

Edited on 10/14/2011 at 2:35:32 AM PST

[Post New]by Underthebridge on Oct 14, 11 3:05 AM
Thanks Big Fish and ERS...this game rocks...I will have to buy this one...xoxoxo

Go to: