VOGAT
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

Re:Reviews for Guardians of Beyond: Witchville Collector's Edition

[Post New]by VOGAT on Oct 16, 11 6:21 PM
Yogagirl, Calsmom,

Thank you very much! We really appreciate your opinion. I am very happy to read your comments. It is so nice! Thank you!

Askold

 
Nissiah
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

Re:Reviews for Guardians of Beyond: Witchville Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Nissiah on Oct 16, 11 6:50 PM
VOGAT wrote:Dear players,

Please write here your thoughts about the game. It is very important to know your opinion. What do you like? What do you want to improve? Together we will make our new games even better! That's all for you, we appreciate you very much.

Thanks in advance.

Askold & Vogat team


Askold,

Vogat games are of high quality and I look for them. However, when the storyline contain Demons/Witchcraft, I do not purchase. I understand that some consider anything in a game is "just a game." Along the lines of this logic, the storyline could be ANYTHING. Why do storylines ALWAYS follow a standard recipe where is something EVIL to overcome? And that would be OK if the Evil was a person, but the story ALWAYS twists that the villian really wasn't That Bad, but they were controlled by an EVIL entity.

And even in this story: the description: "use dangerous witchcraft, and save the town! "

If we, as the "detective" in the story, can only resort to Dangerous Witchcraft to Save the Town, it infers that we, as the detective, really have no skills or logic on our own, and need to Become Evil to Figh Evil.

I would buy a nice scary ghost story, a haunted house with lots of scary rooms, and the ghosts may not even know they are dead. They may or may not see humans in the house. They are not there because of a Curse, they are there for reasons unknown, and the detective really never gets an answer. I have been waiting for a long time but nobody EVER does this storyline.

I can count at least a dozen Demon/Voodoo games from various developers which I have not purchased this year, and I never plan to.

One game I did purchase regarding the ghosts of miners, and it looked good and I played till the end, and then at the very end, a Demon appears and explains that the villian was motivated by the Demon. As if to say, if it were not for these Demons, everyone would be nice. Is this what everyone believes?

 
TimeKilla
Herring
Herring
399 Posts

Re:Reviews for Guardians of Beyond: Witchville Collector's Edition

[Post New]by TimeKilla on Oct 16, 11 7:54 PM
textrekkie wrote:(Note to developers - please read) However, even if playing in expert mode, everything that is clicked on and everything that is retrieved contains hints stating what needs to be accomplished or the purpose of the item, thus defeating the purpose of expert mode. In a game that has a built in strategy guide/walkthrough and a hint system for those that wish to use them, why does the game have to have all of these embedded hints? Okay - rant over.



Askold: The above perfectly sums up the main reason why I'm undecided. Between the text hints, the items that need to be combined wiggling when you pick them up, and slightly too easy mini-games, a lot of the challenge is gone. I love that you offer an advanced level and without those hints would buy this game immediately. (even though I have swore off CE's, or at least tried to.)

Which is really too bad because everything else about this game is excellent. Sure it starts with a car crash and then sends you off to help your fill-in-the-blank but that seems to be the "Once upon a time" of H0 games. It sets the mood.

The mini games are decent, just a touch on the easy side. Several of them were very clever, even though they were based on the usual puzzles. Obviously a lot of thought went into them, which I do appreciate. There is one slot machine game that was terrific, almost made me wish for a skip button.

Graphics and music are especially nice. The story sucked me in almost immediately. H0 scenes are fun. (That's purely subjective, YMMV.) Inventory-related puzzles are intriguing (as long as you don't read anything that pops up on the scene.)

There's a tantalizing preview of the bonus chapter that was almost enough to make up for the lack of challenge. The art is even better than the main game and the story seems like it could unfold into something very special. It's the main reason I'm tempted but I'm too tired of getting bored half-way through to risk it.

Edited on 10/16/2011 at 8:01:25 PM PST


 
jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

Re:Reviews for Guardians of Beyond: Witchville Collector's Edition

[Post New]by jkuci on Oct 16, 11 8:05 PM

VOGAT wrote:Dear players,

Please write here your thoughts about the game. It is very important to know your opinion. What do you like? What do you want to improve? Together we will make our new games even better! That's all for you, we appreciate you very much.

Thanks in advance.

Askold & Vogat team


Hi, Vogat team!
I'm a story based game buyer - whether HOG, straight adventure or other genre. If the story is written well, with interesting characters, and melds with good gameplay then I'll always be a happy buyer. I, unlike many players, enjoy dialogue.

Your game F.A.C.E.S. was the last CE that I bought and I really enjoyed that game even though I'd never before (or since) been tempted to buy a game about an insane asylum - but somehow your gameplay and story pulled me into the escape experience. The bonus play on that one was just as good as the main game - some thought it was even better.

I've enjoyed all of your games that I've bought even if I wait for the SE on some. I look for your company name with the certain anticipation that you will offer a quality experience without becoming formulaic.
I will be waiting for the SE on this one but I will buy in the future.

Keep up the great work!!

Edited on 10/16/2011 at 8:11:12 PM PST


 
cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

Re:Reviews for Guardians of Beyond: Witchville Collector's Edition

[Post New]by cbtx on Oct 16, 11 8:57 PM
VOGAT wrote:Dear players,

Please write here your thoughts about the game. It is very important to know your opinion. What do you like? What do you want to improve? Together we will make our new games even better! That's all for you, we appreciate you very much.

Thanks in advance.

Askold & Vogat team


Congrats to Askold and the Vogat team--another excellent, story driven game that I have already bought and have every one of your others (except one) that you listed.
My one concern is why the widescreen option actually shrinks the size of the screen when it is clicked. As examples, this Guardians game opens in full screen and when the WS option is clicked it shrinks to about half of the size and the Reincarnations from last week opens in widescreen and when the WS option is clicked it goes to full screen. This is true with all your games where a WS option is in the menu. This is backwards of how it should work! Any thoughts?
Again, WS option not working correctly doesn't change the fact that your games are super!

 

Re:Reviews for Guardians of Beyond: Witchville Collector's Edition

[Post New]by boomerang9939 on Oct 16, 11 10:16 PM
Loved the preview, will likely buy the game.

How many people welcome the screensavers and concept art additions to the games?

Have a great gaming week!

J

 
govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

Re:Reviews for Guardians of Beyond: Witchville Collector's Edition

[Post New]by govegril on Oct 16, 11 11:43 PM
I was quite ready to buy this but did not.

I am just tired of the usual HOG forumula- and like to see something a bit different than the back and forth searching for tools and keys.

The Reincarnations series at least is broken into different stories which keeps the interest up

I also wish Vogat would cut down the number of HOG scenes.

I think this will be an excellent SE purchase but as far as CE value - I Just don't feel it here.

I would love to see another Cindy's Travels...





 
nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

Re:Reviews for Guardians of Beyond: Witchville Collector's Edition

[Post New]by nomatt on Oct 17, 11 12:00 AM
VOGAT wrote:Dear players,

Please write here your thoughts about the game. It is very important to know your opinion. What do you like?
Askold & Vogat team


Ok, Personally, I like the puzzles to be a little harder, not too difficult but hard enough to make you think to solve them. The Hidden Object scenes, to me, are just a way to get that missing key, blowlamp, plank of wood etc, that you need to carry on. Too many Hidden Object scenes make a game tedious I think. Puzzles and figuring out what to do next is the recipe for me.
Thanks.

 
dakini
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

Re:Reviews for Guardians of Beyond: Witchville Collector's Edition

[Post New]by dakini on Oct 17, 11 1:49 AM
Really enjoyed this game. I'm always happy to see the Vogat logo at the beginning of a game. The hour flew by and I was sorry to see the time was up. What more can you say. I will probably wait for the SE but it is possible I'll splurge. It ran beautifully in Lion.

 

Re:Reviews for Guardians of Beyond: Witchville Collector's Edition

[Post New]by hideobjectaddict on Oct 17, 11 9:52 AM
govegril wrote:I was quite ready to buy this but did not.

I am just tired of the usual HOG forumula- and like to see something a bit different than the back and forth searching for tools and keys.

The Reincarnations series at least is broken into different stories which keeps the interest up

I also wish Vogat would cut down the number of HOG scenes.

I think this will be an excellent SE purchase but as far as CE value - I Just don't feel it here.

I would love to see another Cindy's Travels...



NOTE: This is not personal towards any fishy, just an example I continue to see in review forums for HOG's. "I also wish Vogat would cut down the number of HOG scenes."
I always look for guidance from the fishies who've gone before me & give their insight, always grateful for the reviews, but, I cannot, for the life of me, understand why anyone would look for, try, download, play, buy, & then comment & complain about "too many HOG scenes". Why are people playing, D/L, & buying, or even trying the genre "Hidden Object Games"??? What is the point? Hidden Object means Hidden Object. What are people looking for in a Hidden Object Game other then **** games? What could possibly be the expectations? (BTW, expectations are an appointment with disappointment). Maybe it's a blessing in disguise, because I'm looking for HOG's. Respectfully, hideobjectaddict

 
pjarra
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

Re:Reviews for Guardians of Beyond: Witchville Collector's Edition

[Post New]by pjarra on Oct 17, 11 11:17 AM
hideobjectaddict wrote:
govegril wrote:I was quite ready to buy this but did not.

I am just tired of the usual HOG forumula- and like to see something a bit different than the back and forth searching for tools and keys.

The Reincarnations series at least is broken into different stories which keeps the interest up

I also wish Vogat would cut down the number of HOG scenes.

I think this will be an excellent SE purchase but as far as CE value - I Just don't feel it here.

I would love to see another Cindy's Travels...



NOTE: This is not personal towards any fishy, just an example I continue to see in review forums for HOG's. "I also wish Vogat would cut down the number of HOG scenes."
I always look for guidance from the fishies who've gone before me & give their insight, always grateful for the reviews, but, I cannot, for the life of me, understand why anyone would look for, try, download, play, buy, & then comment & complain about "too many HOG scenes". Why are people playing, D/L, & buying, or even trying the genre "Hidden Object Games"??? What is the point? Hidden Object means Hidden Object. What are people looking for in a Hidden Object Game other then **** games? What could possibly be the expectations? (BTW, expectations are an appointment with disappointment). Maybe it's a blessing in disguise, because I'm looking for HOG's. Respectfully, hideobjectaddict

 
skr041300
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

Re:Reviews for Guardians of Beyond: Witchville Collector's Edition

[Post New]by skr041300 on Oct 17, 11 11:25 AM
Vogat games are very well done and this is no exception. However, I have to say that I was bored with this game. Maybe it's because I play so many of these types of games. But I think that the story line was just not that interesting and the adventure not that challenging. I also thought that the navigation/cursor was a little "sticky."

 
pjarra
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

Re:Reviews for Guardians of Beyond: Witchville Collector's Edition

[Post New]by pjarra on Oct 17, 11 11:29 AM
I can see where where govegril is coming from. This game is listed in the Adventure category as well as the HIdden Object category.
The reason why we download a game is because in the trial you sometimes don't know how many H0 scenes there are. We try, it looks reasonable so we buy only to find out that the game is overloaded with H0 scenes.
I myself prefer few H0G scenes as to me they are just time wasters and most times they serve no other purpose than to give everyone what they ask for--longer games; how else. I like the game and will probably buy as an SE.
The fault lies with BFG for listing the games in both categories. Don't mind some H0 scenes but prefer as few as possible.
So, that is why we try, download, play and complain.

 
dogma45
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

Re:Reviews for Guardians of Beyond: Witchville Collector's Edition

[Post New]by dogma45 on Oct 17, 11 11:56 AM
Bought the game and played all day Sunday...Great game and fine graphics the story
was interesting. A good game and lots of fun!

Edited on 10/17/2011 at 11:56:36 AM PST


 
steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

Re:Reviews for Guardians of Beyond: Witchville Collector's Edition

[Post New]by steve_san on Oct 17, 11 4:20 PM
darkdisciple1313 wrote:Let me say up front that I liked the game, even though I won't be purchasing it as a collector's edition. My reasons are the same as usual: the game is too easy for me (which is true of a lot of these types, now that I've been playing them for so long...it's kind of like getting really good at chess after playing tons of games, really); and from other reviews and posts, I get the feeling that the game would be too short for me to totally enjoy it.

For those who would purchase it, I think there is lots to like. For one thing, there are no missing people to find, which is always a plus. The gameplay is not unique, but fun enough to keep the average player entertained. The graphics are of a quality typical of this particular developer. The music...well, I always can turn it down and pull out my old Psychedelic Furs Greatest Hits CD.

I refuse to get into another "oh, no, it's another evil game!" debate--suffice it to say that some people will be offended by the subject matter. I leave it to the individual player to decide whether or not to purchase it based on the plot of the game.

So, unless you've blown your entire gaming budget for the month (which I have), by all means, get this. Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with waiting for the standard edition. In either case, enjoy!



Speaking for myself, I am not offended by any of the dark-themed games any more than I am offended by spiders, snakes, mice etc. as some others are. It's only a game - and they are really just 1's and 0's on a screen. . It's just my preference. I believe there are just a few too many dark themed games for My tastes.

 
msdezza
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

Re:Reviews for Guardians of Beyond: Witchville Collector's Edition

[Post New]by msdezza on Oct 17, 11 5:31 PM
I beta tested this game and I knew right away this was a game I had to buy.
I found it had all the elements in a game that I loved ...Well done Vogat and keep up the good work well appreciated. Cheers from another happy fish ...

Edited on 10/17/2011 at 5:32:05 PM PST


 

Re:Reviews for Guardians of Beyond: Witchville Collector's Edition

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Oct 17, 11 8:43 PM
I won't repeat it again, but basically I agree 100% with what Nissiah posted above.

I used to really enjoy VOGAT games. However, lately they have just really gone past the point where I enjoy them. I couldn't even get past the demo for FACES as it was just too weird and disturbing. This game again goes into the evil, dark witchcraft-type of game. Not as out there as FACES, but still a walk on the dark side. Personally, I am getting tired of the same dark games and I am finding I no longer purchase them. There are so many different storylines that could be made. Something different would be refreshing. This isn't a direct critism of Vogat, but for developers as a whole.

As for this game, it really seemed too easy. I only had to consult the strategy guide once and that was to find an object in a hidden object scene because the scene was too dark, the item was tiny, and it blended into the scenery too well. Maybe these games have gotten too easy for me because it is the same formula that I have been seeing for the last 2-3 years. In fact, to me, the storyline was boring as well. Been there done that. No need to revisit again.

The graphics were good, but again, too dark. I did enjoy the number of hidden object scenes. I loved the fact that part of the bonus chapter was available to not only see, but play so one could see if the bonus chapter warranted the cost of a CE. The strategy guide was good and again, I liked the fact that I it was a full guide so I could see how far I had gotten into the game. Will I purchase it? Definitely not as a CE because I already have enough games of this type. I might as a SE, but I am starting to feel that the only way I will see a change in the subject matter is to vote with my wallet and so I will probably pass on this one all together.

 
Hoggywizard
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

Re:Reviews for Guardians of Beyond: Witchville Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Hoggywizard on Oct 18, 11 12:02 AM
Gooday Fishees

 
bootsie21
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,188 Posts

Re:Reviews for Guardians of Beyond: Witchville Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bootsie21 on Oct 18, 11 12:16 AM
Have just finished this game - loved it Vogat! Thank you

 
KathyGriggs
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

Re:Reviews for Guardians of Beyond: Witchville Collector's Edition

[Post New]by KathyGriggs on Oct 18, 11 1:01 PM
care___916 wrote:Played the full demo. Graphics are great as usual for Vogat. The beginning of the game was not very exciting like their other games, it didnt grab me right away.

I am disappointed that there are no voice overs. They do voices so good a real shame this game didnt have that outstanding feature. I like the SG that kept your place.

I did have the full screen for my large screen. I have win 7.

Still a little disappointed as Vogat is in my top 3 favorite devs.

Will have to think about purchasing this one.

Happy gaming


I agree! I am going to wait for the SE to come out. Looks like a good game, but for me, not good enough for the CE price.


 
 
 
 
Go to: