Re:Comments for Drawn: Trail of Shadows Collector's Edition

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Oct 20, 11 1:08 PM
Janie42 wrote:
Probably many casual gamers don't care about technical aspects of a game, yet with ToS, like all Drawns, BFG achieves--again--a new technical accomplishment. These successes are always all about boosting player's immersion in the game world.

While I'm happy for those who love this series, and that they have a new one to enjoy.. I think that is an unfair statement.

First, Not all players on here are just casual gamers. I own(ed) many game consoles and consider myself a hard core gamer. Second, many casual gamers do pay a lot of attention to the technical aspects and details of the games they play that is very clear in all the details mentioned in the review sections. Many have very strong opinions and are very "vocal" if a game is not up to par not only technically, but on many levels. players IMHO pay more attention than most "hard core gamers". As games progress and more and more are CEs..its getting hard to impress some of the fish here. I think we all want to be very immersed in the games we buy. Many will judge a game based on how immersed they were when the demo ended and they forgot how long they had been playing!

I know its no small feat creating a game like this or many of the very technical well done games. It is (at least the 2 I played) a very detailed innovated lite adventure game. (It is far from hardcore however) It just isn't my , I care very much about the technical aspects of all the games I play, and I notice many details. I just don't care for the story line or style of this series. Most fish that feel the way too have also posted that it is a beautiful/innovated etc etc game.. we just don't like it..and everyone is entitled to play/buy what they like. There is no need to assume the level of knowledge one has of games, be it technical or other..just because they don't like one. Sorry, I know you meant well, but there is no need to defend the game you like if others don't. That's why there are so many different games here, so everyone has something they like.

Happy Gaming to those who love this series!

[Post New]by 70summerfield on Oct 20, 11 3:09 PM
When I started playing the first game of this series, I stopped, it was too confusing, too hard. ??TheDrawn series is a thinking persons game,with beautiful graphics, terrific story line, and thank goodness , more than HOG scene after HOG scene, If you.ve ever started and given up, you owe it to yourself to give iot another try, This third one of the series is different, but as enjoyabel, possibly even more than the first two, Needless to say, this is a definite buy for me and worth the CE money!

madragone
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by madragone on Oct 20, 11 3:26 PM
I haven't finished the game yet but just had to say it is wonderful! The graphics and scenes are amazing and the interaction with the book is great. The tips are really good and the puzzles fairly easy although sometimes you have to look around for clues on how to do them but this just adds to the pleasure of the game. Such a nice change from all the grim games there have been recently. More like this one please - I love it

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Oct 20, 11 7:55 PM
Janie42,
Quite a nice post and from a different perspective!

brewcan1
Guppy
Guppy
189 Posts

[Post New]by brewcan1 on Oct 20, 11 9:39 PM
Was it me or was this game fast.Not sure but for a CE it went quickly.$15 down the drain.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Oct 20, 11 10:57 PM
Delicious game. Wonderful graphics. Engaging story. I absolutely adored the books and the games within the story (just had to try all of the alternatives in the chalk story to have a giggle).
Yes, it did seem to go fast - but then I looked at the clock and time had also sped by as I was so lost in the wonderful experience.
Thank-you BFG Game Studios for a superb, artistic experience. (Though I missed one of the pigs!!) Guess I'll just have to be more attentive on my next try.
Cheers.

Edited on 10/20/2011 at 11:02:23 PM PST

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Oct 21, 11 12:11 AM
Loved this game and thoroughly enjoyed playing it!

One aspect of the game that I think puts it above the MCF, ERS, and later Vogat games is that all the movements, actions etc within this game are completed in a small area at a time. There is no going 6 scenes away to find the hammer to bring back 6 scenes to break the window. Or seeing the crowbar that you know you will need, but not being able to pick it up right now. These are things developers use to add to the length of a game without expending extra resources and do not add extra enjoyment to game play for me.

In Drawn ToS you play in a 3-4 scene area so no extra running back and forth to find something you couldn't pick up and use earlier. All of the gameplay involved is integral to completing the storyline and follows a logical flow. It is refreshing to find this type of game.

@Janie42,
I agree with your earlier post. The quality of this game is outstanding, particularly for a "casual" game.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Oct 21, 11 1:51 AM
Beautiful game - shockingly easy.

[Post New]by mikex6989 on Oct 21, 11 3:53 PM
this game is way tooo short! it took me about 3 hours long to complete. the last two i remember took me about 5-6 hours. also, this game should definitely not be collectors edition as there's hardly anything "collectors" about it. overall, the game is beautiful and a great story. but, definitely disappointed in the length..

[Post New]by LadyAlinna on Oct 24, 11 2:13 AM
The drawn series is absolutly briiliant, I played the painted tower and dark flight and so excited when drawn 3 was released. This is a brilliant game, I love the graphic and especially enjoy tne music, but a little bit comfused by the story in drawn 3 though. Drawn 3 is more like a prequel to the previours two, at first I thought the boy was Iris's father, but at the end Iris asked if the boy was Franklin, and if my memory's correct, in the cave that boy stood infront of a painting that pictured Iris's family's kingdom. So the entrie stroy in my view is that the boy, whoever he is, was taken into the world inside the paintings by the wizard, the stranger/player helped the boy defead the wizard, and the boy created Iris's kingdom, when the world he created again striked by the shadows, the stranger/player came back to help Iris. I don't know whether I guess right and can't figure out who the boy is................
Well, anyway, I do enjoy the game!

[Post New]by Phat1230 on Oct 24, 11 10:25 AM
When will it be ready for the iPad

MommytobeC
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by MommytobeC on Oct 24, 11 11:45 AM
LOVE IT!!!! Thank you for making another Drawn! It is one of the artistically joyful series I have ever played. Thanks Big Fish for continuing this aesthetically pleasing journey through Drawn
P.S. btw any plans for a fourth???

[Post New]by Anastasia20 on Oct 24, 11 5:30 PM
brewcan1 wrote:Was it me or was this game fast.Not sure but for a CE it went quickly.$15 down the drain.

I agree. I love the series, but this game only took me about 2 hours......disappointing

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Oct 24, 11 6:58 PM
Reading the comments leaves me in 2 minds - I've played the demo and wasn't nearly as "drawn in" if you'll pardon the pun as I was with the first 2 - the immediacy is gone and it's much less challenging. I'll have to give some thought to whether I really want to buy it and finish.....

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

Reading the comments leaves me in 2 minds - I've played the demo and wasn't nearly as "drawn in" if you'll pardon the pun as I was with the first 2 - the immediacy is gone and it's much less challenging. I'll have to give some thought to whether I really want to buy it and finish.....

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

phisherman
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

[Post New]by phisherman on Oct 25, 11 11:13 AM
I am glad so many people seem to be enjoying this game. As for me I just find it annoying. Especially the time it takes to load when starting and changing scenes.

JPCarol
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by JPCarol on Nov 1, 11 5:17 PM
I am so very disappointed in this game. The original game was excellent. The first sequel was good, challenging, but not as good as the first. This chapter is awful. The game is very short and there is not too much in way of challenge. The story line is boring and does not compare at all to the first two. The 3D screen gimmick is just that; a gimmick. It does not add to the game in any way.

I wish that I had played the trial version instead of paying first. I was just so sure that if it was part of the Drawn series that it would be worth the expense.

My advice to other is - wait for the regular edition and play on trial for free. You will probably be able to finish the game before your 60 minutes are up.

[Post New]by ReallyHelpless on Nov 2, 11 11:00 AM
Dialogue wrote:I, too, like the Drawn Series. I liked one better than two but the series grows on you. One must think to play these games and I normally need help with them. The second game had the hint system and I believe I got through it just by using it. The one thing I do not like about this one is not having a chance to skip a mini game in advanced/expert mode. I played the demo in advanced mode and did not run into problems but I was still in chapter one when I stopped playing the game. Now that I know I may get stuck down the line and can't skip a puzzle if I want to I'm not sure about the CE of this game. I might buy it and play in casual mode but I really like to avoid the sparkles. I even quit the demo and started again when I realized that I had forgotten to choose the sparkleless mode before the game began. I can always use the walkthrough if I really get stuck I guess. I would just hate to have to resort to that. But being an old adventure gamer who gets stuck sometimes, one gets used to it.

PS: Does anyone remember the King's Quest series or some of the other original adventure games? How about the Myst and Uru series. Now those are adventure games and the walkthroughs are provided on the web by other players after they figured out the game. Compared to those games, Drawn, though not a cakewalk, is a welcome respite.

I give this game out of 5.

[Post New]by ReallyHelpless on Nov 2, 11 11:12 AM
Dialogue wrote:I, too, like the Drawn Series. I liked one better than two but the series grows on you. One must think to play these games and I normally need help with them. The second game had the hint system and I believe I got through it just by using it. The one thing I do not like about this one is not having a chance to skip a mini game in advanced/expert mode. I played the demo in advanced mode and did not run into problems but I was still in chapter one when I stopped playing the game. Now that I know I may get stuck down the line and can't skip a puzzle if I want to I'm not sure about the CE of this game. I might buy it and play in casual mode but I really like to avoid the sparkles. I even quit the demo and started again when I realized that I had forgotten to choose the sparkleless mode before the game began. I can always use the walkthrough if I really get stuck I guess. I would just hate to have to resort to that. But being an old adventure gamer who gets stuck sometimes, one gets used to it.

PS: Does anyone remember the King's Quest series or some of the other original adventure games? How about the Myst and Uru series. Now those are adventure games and the walkthroughs are provided on the web by other players after they figured out the game. Compared to those games, Drawn, though not a cakewalk, is a welcome respite.

I give this game out of 5.

I do remember very fondly the King's Quest series - real adventure games, not hidden object, and Drawn is in this genre. But I was really disappointed with Trail of Shadows. It was not as complex and absorbing as the first two, and the puzzles were not very challenging. Also, I guess I was expecting to learn more about what happens to Iris and was surprised that this was a back-story about Franklin as a little boy. Not very compelling, and certainly not as rich with pathos as the other two. I was also a bit confused about the ending. If Franklin is such a master painter - it implies he created the world of Drawn - then what happened to his pallette when Iris was in trouble? I know it's silly, but ... Now, I guess I have to wait for Drawn 4 to find out how Iris is doing.

Go to: