jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

Re:Reviews for Drawn™: Trail of Shadows Collector's Edition

[Post New]by jkuci on Oct 20, 11 8:33 AM

I've cut myself down to 1 CE/month so this will have to wait but its a great game, none the less.

Next month......

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Oct 20, 11 8:42 AM
Having bought it this morning and finished it about 3 hours later, I'm disappointed with the length of this game. And the final scene froze me out, had to ctrl-alt-delete out of it.

Whilst there's no question it's beautifully made, inventive, funny ( I loved the mini-game where you had to draw the various escapes for the girl, made me laugh out loud!), challenging and just quality from start to finish, it is woefully lacking as far as length goes. The extras don't justify the price; bonus chapter is within the game, so I was left feeling cheated.

Very disappointing and an e-mail to customer support is on it's way.

cesse47
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
25,099 Posts

[Post New]by cesse47 on Oct 20, 11 8:50 AM
Played the demo ... Loved it ... Bought it!!!

I modified the movement just a bit ... perfect. I like the "feel" and visual effect.

Loved the inclusion of bits of humor; i.e., the "pooh" comment. Definitely a treat.

Haven't needed to use the hint system but checked it out and like that the hints are progressive. So, you can get one hint to point you in the right direction or continue clicking on hint to step you through.

As in the previous Drawn games, I feel the music fits the game. Turned the volume down a bit but did not mute it as I do in most games.

Loved the graphics. The storybook is great.

Looking forward to playing the rest of the game.

and to the Drawn Team -- WTG!!

midori2
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by midori2 on Oct 20, 11 9:00 AM
Cesse47: I agree with everything you said! It made my day when I saw the new game today was another in the Drawn series. Absolutely gorgeous in every sense of the word. I trialed it for a couple of minutes and fell in love, and bought it. It's brilliant!

[Post New]by HereF1shyF1shy on Oct 20, 11 9:04 AM
The Drawn games are visually superb. This one is just as beautiful as the first two. The music and the atmosphere make it a very immersive game. The Drawn series has a very unique look and type of game play that I can't compare to any others. It's also mostly puzzle-based, which I love.

To be fair--there isn't an integrated SG, but there are two levels of hints: one type is just a nudge in the right direction and the other is a very explicit "go here and do this" complete with picture. It's basically an SG that's embedded within the game rather than an actual book that opens up in a separate window. Honestly, I find this type of system to be better because there's no interruption with going back and forth or trying to figure out where to look to find the info I need. I typically try to use an SG only when I absolutely have to, and this eliminates accidental "spoilers" on things I don't want/need the answer to. But this is just my personal preference.

And now, I must go back to poking a monster in the eyes. Have fun, fishes.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Oct 20, 11 9:06 AM
While I absolutely all the different puzzles I have come across so far , the handdrawn graphics and the quite pleasant music playing in the background I have to say that I don't think this game is worthy of being called a Collector's Edition for the following reasons:

1. There is no separate bonus play. I have no objection to it being incorporated in the actual game itself as long as the game is made longer and I do not feel that this game is long enough .

2. If you click on the first item in the EXTRAS it is the CREDITS ...

Credits are always shown when the game is finished regardless of whether it is a CE or an SE.

This should not be classed as an extra because it is giving us absolutely nothing extra

3. The next item is the WORLD OF DRAWN ...

I thought I was going to see a brief summary of the story for each of the games. Not so. If you click on any of the 3 names all that happens is that you are taken to the download page for that game.

This should not be classed as an extra because it is advertising and the only ones benefitting from it will be BFG

4. The next items is ACHIEVEMENTS ...

There are 20 of these and, as some people like achievements, this gets a

5. The next is CONCEPT ART ...

When you can see the actual finished art masterpieces why would you want to see the rough sketches let alone pay for the privilege but there are a few people who like them so this gets a .

6. The next item is WALLPAPER ...

Why is this an extra when all we have to do is take a screenshot of any scene that we think is worthy of being used for wallpaper.

This should not be classed as an extra because it is giving us absolutely nothing extra .

7. The next item is the SOUNDTRACK ...

In this particular instance I think the music is nice enough that some people will like to listen to it again .

8. The last item is the FORUM ...

How many people will use this link as a way of getting to the Forums ... not many I bet.

I don't feel that we should have to pay extra for the link when we have the site bookmarked anyway.

I think this is a very good game but basically I have ended up paying double for nothing but the privilege of playing the game on the day of its release .

Finishing on a positive note the way I started, I would just like to thank Big Fish Studios for not making us colour perfectly within the dotted lines and thus enabling people with arthritic hands etc to be able to play the game

Cherb

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Oct 20, 11 9:12 AM
This review is based on the demo version.

Drawn: Trail of Shadows is as beautiful as its predecessors and the magic overtook me the minute I started the game and heard the first musical notes.

The story begins with Franklin and a very young Iris, sitting in front of a fire. Franklin is telling Iris the story of a boy who lived many years prior, who had "the gift" like Iris - the ability to draw pictures and have them come to life. This game is the story of that boy and his kidnapping by an evil wizard.

Up front options include sliders for music, sound and one to control screen movement (an important one for those who suffer vertigo or similar dizziness/nausea from screen panning/movement). There are buttons for Full Screen and Aspect Ratio (aspect ratio will provide distortion free full screen for those with wide screen monitors) and Custom Cursor. And if you take a peek at Extras, under Achievements you'll find there are just lots and lots of achievements to be gotten in this game (I think I've died and gone to heaven )

When a profile is entered, two modes of play are offered - Casual and Experienced. There is no explanation as to how the choices differ or the impact of choosing one over the other, something I feel should be explained. However I did notice that Casual has sparkles and Experienced does not. Other differences were not readily discernable.

There is no on-board Strategy Guide/walkthrough. As in Drawn: Dark Flight this game contains an on-board Smart Guide, a step-by-step hint system, although I thought it to be more of a "do this" thing - LOL, but then I don't use hints.

The game played very well for me and has all the Drawn elements I've come to love - beautiful graphics, enchanting music, wonderful storytelling, the pictures, the puzzles, pop-up books, achievements and best of all - the need to figure everything out with no hidden object scenes!

I knew I was buying the game before it came out. So I'm off to play for real.

Edited on 10/20/2011 at 10:24:29 AM PST

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Oct 20, 11 10:28 AM
darkdisciple1313 wrote:Well, hmmm.

The game is beautiful, I'll say that right up front. My computer's hard drive was screaming a bit during a few scenes in the demo, which means it's a graphics card hog (which seems to be a trend with this series, given that I couldn't even play the first one), so that should be taken into consideration before purchasing. The plotting and storyline was just okay (I tend to loathe prequels as a general rule...my thing has always been, if the story is getting stale, rather than going back to a time before the original story, start a new one). There were little things here and there that impressed me, but most didn't.

So what killed the game for me? The same thing, unfortunately, that's true with a great many games in long-running series: the sense of having eaten that particular slice of red velvet cake before. It's like having children, in a way. With the first one, the parents take pictures and video of every little burp, coo and giggle. The second one, fewer pictures, less video time, and a little less patience with things that they found so cute with the first kid. By the time the third child is born, the camera is in a box in the hall closet, the video camera is in pieces in the basement, and if the kid isn't the next Shirley Temple or Jonathan Lipnicki, most of the things they do are just answered with a shrug. This game is like that. Not at all bad as things go, but it's the third child syndrome in gaming form.

Also, if some people are finishing this in less than four hours, the game is way, way too short for a collector's edition, which is an automatic no-buy for me. Sure, the game may be a Van Gogh, but like a million dollar painting, you can only stare at it for so long before it just becomes another wall hanging.

Enjoy!

As usual: a great review!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Oct 20, 11 10:31 AM
Well, Cherbtoo pretty much summed it up for me. Not kicked out about the graphics, very confusing game play, hints not worth anything really, music okay. A little too easy for me, but beginners will probably really enjoy this game. Don't see that it is worth the CE price and won't purchase as an SE either. Thanks anyway...maybe tomorrow.

Just checked back to see that I had purchased the first Drawn and liked it, but this one just didn't hold my attention like the first one.

Edited on 10/20/2011 at 10:34:22 AM PST

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

[Post New]by Beingknown on Oct 20, 11 11:15 AM
OH MY GOODNESS! I am so HAPPY to have a new game in the Drawn series. Hip-Hip Hooray!

Drawn: Trail of Shadows, Collector's Edition has absolutely beautiful, interesting and crisp graphics. It offers an entertaining and original game-play style (unique to the Drawn Series) that I fully enjoy. The puzzles are fun to solve and the mini-games are quite enjoyable. The soundtrack is moving, sound effects well-done and I even like the voice-over acting.

Overall, I really love the look and feel of this game. I highly recommend it.

Kudos BFG!

staciepie27
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by staciepie27 on Oct 20, 11 11:42 AM
Hi everyone,

( review based on demo play- finished trial in hard mode in 35 minutes)

First of all, I am a big fan of the "Drawn" series of games and I think they are some of the most beautiful games ever put on a computer. The graphics are superb. The music is lovely. There are special touches within the game ( the interactive storybook especially) that make it a truly unique experience to play. I played on hard mode, but had no problem finding my way around, so the game is not too difficult. There is a hint system, but some beginning players may find it inadequate. The puzzles are unique and not ones we have seen before in countless other games. I didn't come across any HOG scenes within the game, but that is okay because I prefer adventure games over straight HOG games anyway.

I was prepared to buy it until I read some reviews of fishies who have completed the game, and I changed my mind. As much as I want to buy the CE edition of this game, I am not going to due to some fishies saying that it is way too short for a CE ( under 4 hours with bonus) and that the bonus content isn't all that great ( for example, the extra game play is super short and the other bonus content is not worth the extra money). So why pay for bonus content that is insignificant. Usually I don't care about length of a game versus price, but in this case, believe it or not, I feel that BIG FISH dropped the ball. I am not buying the CE because I don't want to be disappointed in the conclusion of the story at the end of the game, and that has never happened before with any game I have bought on here.Overall, I think that paying double for this game based on those very significant issues is silly, so I will wait for the SE version. This is very disappointing because I love the game. However, a game this stunning should have a long enough length and story to let it shine to its full potential, and that doesn't happen here. What a shame!

My grades:

Overall grade: B

Special Features( voiceovers, cutscenes): A+
Graphics: A+++
Music: A
Game play: A
Puzzles: A
HOG scenes: not sure if there are any
Mode of play( hard mode) - A ( excellent and challenging)
Game Issues: Length of game, bonus not worth the money - D This is a huge issue, and makes it a no buy for me.

FritzBear
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by FritzBear on Oct 20, 11 11:43 AM
It’s a delightful, dream-like enjoyable game.
Totally relaxing and entertaining.
A nice change from gloomy ghosts and desperate Victorian heroines trapped in gothic cemeteries
I have not noticed any problems so far and the mini-games are original and in a way very creative.
I like very much the graphic style and the elegant and sober way to display buttons to close scenes of to go to get hints.
I apologize for my strange prose, but English is not my mother tongue.
Definitely a game I’m glad to have bought, maybe it cannot please all, some people might find it apparently a bit childish, but it’s not the case for me.

anki6969
Minnow
Minnow
242 Posts

[Post New]by anki6969 on Oct 20, 11 11:50 AM
I didn´t like it at all!
The movement of the screen

I had read about that in advance but when I turned back the slider in options
it reseted back again

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Oct 20, 11 11:56 AM
What a beautiful game! I've only played for 20min and must buy, so I can finish playing.

The graphics are real "eye candy". The music is very relaxing and appropriate to the story as well as the voices.

I love the gameplay which is logical and intuitive. Sparkles in Casual Mode are helpful without being intrusive. Helpful comments appear above puzzle areas to help me know what to do next.

I tried the Hint/Help/Objective system to see how it worked. It is better than a strategy guide in my opinion. A click on the Objective tells you what to do next. If you're still confused, a click on the hint button shows you a picture of what to do. I like that much better than having to go find the strategy guide, the right page, and the right picture.

The picture book tabs are fun to see what will happen next -- brings back memories of the little pop-up books from years past.

Thank you to the developers for the attention to detail that I've seen in this game.

I'm playing on a new MAC with Lion and have experienced no technical problems.

wendylee
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by wendylee on Oct 20, 11 12:02 PM
I Love, love, love, the Drawn series!! So excited when i looked and saw that this was coming out!!
The whole game is a work of Art, Just beautiful graphics and it can be a bit difficult but that is part of the reason i love them.. You really got to look at EVERYTHING and think about every option,the hints are perfect because it doesn't just give it away you have to really think about your next move.So it takes a little longer... who cares?? i mean, its not meant to be played in a day! you can take your time and enjoy the lovely design and art that is all around you And i adore the voices! the old man's voice is so whimsical, It always sucks me right in to the story! I also love how fast it downloaded.Can't wait to get back at it

cheetiebug
Clownfish
Clownfish
537 Posts

[Post New]by cheetiebug on Oct 20, 11 12:06 PM
I am really glad I came here and read the reviews before upgrading my trial version to the ce. I thought the new Drawn was absolutely beautiful, but really short. I finished the game on the experienced mode in 33 minutes. For the 33 minutes I played the trial version, I was completely engrossed in the graphics. I even kind of liked the moving screens so many people are complaining about. However, being so short and fairly easy for a ce, this is a no buy for me.

Memonk
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by Memonk on Oct 20, 11 12:07 PM
How could anybody even experience the trial at any length when all your time is used up just opening the game. Disappointed!

pysen
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
1 Posts

[Post New]by pysen on Oct 20, 11 12:19 PM
The Drawn games is the best. Hope for more in the same class in the future.
This last game was shorter than the others I have to admit but also more inventive and surprising. Thumbs up for the developers of Drawn, you can be very proud.

Edited on 10/22/2011 at 1:54:15 AM PST

pixielily
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by pixielily on Oct 20, 11 12:40 PM
Great game and I enjoyed the demo, but, and it is a big but, the game is short. I estimate game play of maybe 3 hours and 3.5 with bonus chapter. Not long enough for me to buy a CE for sure.

I have the other Drawn games and I love them, but this will be a first that I am on the fence about buying the SE.

I give this game a 3 out of 5 for the shortness of game play.

asenski
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by asenski on Oct 20, 11 12:50 PM
I was actually looking forward to Drawn 3 (did not care for Drawn 2), but come on BF, I still got 27 minutes left in the 1 hour demo. What's up with that and it happens so much lately not getting a full hour. Just wondering, if I have still 27 minutes left, how long is the actual game? Can't see myself buying as CE, maybe later as the SE version. So far I did like, what I played, just not enough for an hours worse.

Go to: