ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

Re:Reviews for Resurrection, New Mexico Collector's Edition

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Oct 27, 11 10:04 AM
This is not much of a review as I only played ten minutes of the game but, I wasn't impressed. First of all, it took more than four hours to download......and this is the first time that has every happened to me on this pc. Second, I didn't like the way the game started. We were kind of thrust into this harried Mother thing, neglected daughter, car accident beginning.

And I didn't really care for the graphics, story or hidden object scenes. Seems sort of through together and amateurish to me. MHO only.

Maybe if I play more of the game, it will get better. After waiting for four hours, I guess I owe it that much.

OKC Nanny

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Oct 27, 11 10:17 AM
I had also download problems for a few hours at the beginning. The game doesn`t grab me really. Storyline is uninteresting, graphic is okay (not really special, but also not bad), hogscenes are okay (the items aren`t tiny and easy to find). I will wait for the SE from this game these time

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Oct 27, 11 10:37 AM
The game downloaded for me in the average amount of time for a file this large.

I played 50min of the Demo.

The graphics are clear and bright for this darker kind of game. It has one of the creepiest atmospheres for games of this type. The setting, music and sound effects went together well to develop an "otherworld" effect.

The story is not a new storyline, but it is done differently. I'm feeling that I really want to find out what is going on in Resurrection, NM after playing most of the demo.

There are sparklies, but I did not find them annoying most of the time. The one bit that does annoy me is when the spot continues to sparkle after I've examined the area.

Some of the graphics and animation are cleverly done and I enjoyed them very much.

Sounds in the H0 scenes were annoying to me, but I imagine they were done that way to continue the scary atmosphere.

The Hint system is very good. Clicking the Hint button tells you where to go or highlights what you need to pick up. There is really no need for a Strategy Guide even though one is included in the game. You do have to exit to a menu to get to the SG.

I especially like the way the Hint system is done in the H0 scenes. You can click on an object and it shows an outline of the object in the lower right by the Hint button. Then if you click the Hint button it will highlight or circle the object. With this game I did not really need hints because the H0 scenes were well done with objects large enough to see without too much difficulty.

I wish they had done voice-overs because I think it would have greatly enhanced the game. However, I still enjoyed it with reading the dialogue. This is a game that I will buy as an SE because I rarely buy CEs, but that is not to say it isn't a good CE.

It is a shame that this game has had so many DL'ing problems because it is a good game that deserves to be reviewed on it's merit rather than the DL'ing problems.

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on Oct 27, 11 11:02 AM
Good Morning all
I downloaded at about 9am time, took about 10 minutes.
I liked what I played so far. Sparkles are driving me crazy. Hint system IS easier than strategy guide to find out what to do next.
Graphics are clear and sharp. Didn't notice any music at all not sure if my speakers were down all the way
Storyline(I love a story that keeps me wanting more) was not new but I found it interesting enough to keep me playing. Stuck in town ? need to get to daughter, no electricity, rusty locks, boarded up doors and windows. The usual roadblocks in a IHOG.
Not sure about a CE at this time of the month for me but for sure as normal priced game or a pc credit when it comes along.
Hope all those with problems downloading get that fixed ASAP. If you can TRY IT you might enjoy!

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Oct 27, 11 11:27 AM
Well, I finished the trial and it isn't as bad as I first thought. I actually got into it and was disappointed when the hour was up. However, I don't believe it is worth the price of a Collector's edition. Good enough, though, for an SE so I'll wait for that to come out.

A few too many hidden object scenes, I'll add, but the story did get better. Whatever that green wormy looking thing is, I really don't know but have seen that kind of thing in other games.

Will watch what others say but I won't be buying this now. I'll be patient and wait for the SE.

padres
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by padres on Oct 27, 11 11:55 AM
I feel badly for all of you having difficulty loading this game. Mine loaded up promptly and with nothing out of the ordinary.

I got through 50 minutes of the demo. That said, while there was nothing specifically wrong with this game, not much was right either. I simply found it boring. I wasn't at all invested in the story. Could care less whether or not she made it to her daughter's recital.

Nothing magical or beautiful about this one. Don't see it as a Collectors Edition at all. As a regular game, if there are no technical difficulties it would be okay. Kind of blah, but ok.

I will add that voiceovers would have made a big difference. The sheriff and the old man beg to have voiceovers.

Happy gaming.

Edited on 10/27/2011 at 11:57:18 AM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Oct 27, 11 12:18 PM
Well, I'm not sure why people have trouble downloading. Mine loaded in just under 5 minutes. Standard for a game of this size. I just hit chapter 2 when my time ran out. Graphics aren't bad, but would be better if the character movements were smoother; nice quiet music; click penalty, but very fast recovery; this game screams for voice overs, but otherwise okay; HOGs not difficult; the few games I ran across were simple.

Did not care for the SG. I prefer onscreen guides, not the need to click to the menu, click SG, click out of SG and click on resume to go back to the game. Too much "clicking!"

As much as I hate things jumping out at me, this one didn't bother me at all, but those of you who do probably will want to be prepared. Only saw a couple of snakes, one rat and the usual number of spiders. Of course it is easy to figure out the story line...same ole, same ole.

Actually this is a very nice game for a lazy day of just wanting to relax. I rather liked it. Not sure it is worth the price of a CE, but will put in my "wait and see what else comes along" puddle. Thanks for the reviews.

(oops, edited to fix a couple of spelling errors)

Edited on 10/27/2011 at 12:22:40 PM PST

OhPamela
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by OhPamela on Oct 27, 11 12:24 PM
I was really worried when I saw more posts for problems than for reviews, but I'm ever the optimist! When I tried to download it went great until 65%, then it stopped, so I closed the game manager & started again. It started at 65% & in 5 minutes it was done! I hope this helps! Oh by the way loved the demo!! I'm hoping for a sale this spooky weekend, but will buy no matter!

mlbmama
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by mlbmama on Oct 27, 11 12:48 PM
My review is pure and simple! Great game! I was disappointed when my hour was up and so I'm gonna splurge and get this one! (and I always wait on the SE after trying out a CE) I figure if I am playing a demo and I don't care that the time runs out...then its a no go! But I waited for this game for a while and was NOT disappointed!

KCErin
Guppy
Guppy
147 Posts

[Post New]by KCErin on Oct 27, 11 12:56 PM
It took about 1-1/2 hours to download on my machine. I bit slow for a fairly new system.

I am one of those who got really interested once it got going. I think I have the why and where of her predicament, but I want to continue to make sure. The characters introduced in the demo are interesting and I want to know their stories.

Voiceovers would have been nice, but only if the actiing was good. Some HOS were a little fuzzy, but the rest of the scenery was sharp and clear. I agree that the SG is nicer within the game flow rather than having to go click the Menu button. Not a showstopper for me though.

Beware: Lots of snakes, rats, and bugs. They jump out at you every now and then, so not for the fainthearted. At one point I found myself saying out loud, "Ew, go away."

I forgot to look at the guide to see the lengh, but it seem to have a few chapters. It could be a decent length.

I'm with OhPamela - a definite buy for a spooky weekend.

ARETHORN
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by ARETHORN on Oct 27, 11 1:06 PM
Finally got the game to download and started playing the demo and what a let down.Yet another game that is not worthy of a CE tag.As a few of the other posts have stated starts with a car crash(yes another one) the famous sparkles,plenty of HOG scenes with difficult and near impossible objects to find and your average run of the mill puzzles.I agree it does have a few jump out of your skin scares but i`m sorry this is another no buy at CE price and not even sure i will purchase it when it comes out as a standard release.Lets hoping there is something better to come this week.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Oct 27, 11 1:16 PM
Just finished the trial and it was an ok game. Graphics weren't as crisp and clear as some games but it was ok. Music was not my favorite. Didn't play any puzzles, don't think I ran into any? Download took longer than usual but can't have every game load fast. Storyline, I really don't know what it's all about but maybe if I played it a little longer would have found out. Won't buy the CE but might be a buy as an SE for me. Give it 6 out of 10 stars...

caput
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by caput on Oct 27, 11 1:18 PM
It downloaded fairly quickly but frankly, I just kind of found it boring after a half hour. I could not get into the flow of it , kept expecting it to get better but alas, it really never did. A no buy for me I am afraid.

Pixielate
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by Pixielate on Oct 27, 11 1:35 PM
I demoed the game and it's OK, not all that crazy about the graphics, or the story so I find it somewhat boooring. I know I'm probably getting jaded from some of the previous really good games, but I really don't think it rates a CE at all.

fireeyes5
Minnow
Minnow
205 Posts

[Post New]by fireeyes5 on Oct 27, 11 1:44 PM
Played the full demo and will probably wait for the SE. I, in the past, have bought all CE's when they first come out...after the demo. However, in the last month after I have bought the CE's...demos played great...downloading no problem, I get glitches either half way through game or trying to play the bonus. So I am probably an ex CE purchaser.

Thought story interesting
graphics kinda dark and grainy
turned music off
critters that jump out didn't turn me off on the game and some are really big
the hog scenes not too junkpiled
don't like having to leave the game to use the SG

Overall, will probably buy as an SE mainly because I am tired of having to get my money back for games that are bad quality control or don't play. Also tired of contacting CS and their requesting Dr. Felix report ...should just be able to play and enjoy not become a techie.

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on Oct 27, 11 1:57 PM
Well no need to mention that it took a while to get it started but thankfully had no problems with the gameplay. After my one hour trial was up I decided to pass merely because in my opinion this was a very mediocre game. Too many sparkles, alot of HOG scenes and although I wheezed passed untill I got my first soul free, I ran across one very lame puzzle (if you can call it that). The story is nothing to write home about, I have definitely been there and done that in fact I have too many teeshirts already. Graphics are good, music too tedious and the least they could have done is to splurge on voiceovers. Did I mention too many sparles?. Absolutely no challenge at all and from what I see, no puzzles either. Over all IMHO, not worth a CE price tag at all and I am very dissapointed that they are really lowering the standards of games these past months and camoflaging them with a CE lable. I would save my pennies on this game and wither spend a credit on it when it comes out as a SE or ad DD. Have a good weekend everyone and hoping that next week we get a reall treat for Halloween. CHeers.

maggisaxby
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by maggisaxby on Oct 27, 11 2:07 PM
well HELLO. took all day to download. Was already bored before playing.. It would have had to have gripped me in the first few mins. It did not. SPARKLES! No mode change. Have we not got over the difference between novice and experienced players yet? We need 2 or 3 or even 4 different modes ((I look forward to the (existentual ) forgive my spelling mode)) maggi

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 27, 11 2:14 PM
I finally got the game to download in a few minutes time.

And it was worth the wait. I really like this game. It has lots of animation in it, and just in the demo, I already got a bit of a scare once or twice. LOL

SPOILER ALERT

The game starts with: a car crash, granted. BUT... this was not what I have expected to happen. I didn`t even think it would happen, and it came quite sudden. Rather well done, I thought.

There is no voice-over, more is the pity, but there is a choice of custom and system cursor.

Kudos to the developers for allowing us to see the whole SG (strategy guide), including the bonus game.

I have a little trouble with some of the objects in the HOS (hidden object scenes). Although the graphics are all right, they are (for me at least) not good enough to show the objects clearly.

I like the story and I like the gameplay, and will buy this game. Whether I will buy the CE, I still have to think about, but I will definitely buy this game.

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Oct 27, 11 2:21 PM
Just one of many dark and gloomy games..nothing impressive as far as I'm concerned. Certainly nothing special about it to make it a CE. At first I thought there wasn't even a strategy guide. And having to click on the menu button to find said guide, which is one without the usually great detailed colored pictures of other guides, is a definite no no in a CE. Strategy guides should always be available within the game, so you can look from the guide to the game at the same time. I won't even be buying this game as a SE. This game just annoyed me so much that I didn't even bother to finish the demo.

Edited on 10/27/2011 at 2:23:03 PM PST

katejoe999
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by katejoe999 on Oct 27, 11 2:49 PM
I think this game gets better as it goes on. At the start I thought the same as a lot of reviewers here but got more into it as I went. I like the characters and how they relate to the 7 sins. You are trying to save souls in order to get back to your body lying in a coma in hospital. Okay - it has a fairly well worn plot but there were enough differences to keep me interested. I played for 3 hours last night and unless things get wrapped up quickly I reckon I've got a good hour or two to go.
I don't like the sparkles and it should have in-built SG and voice acting as a CE but other than that it's worth persevering!

Go to: