cbellcrm
Clownfish
Clownfish
818 Posts

Re:Reviews for Hidden Expedition: The Uncharted Islands

[Post New]by cbellcrm on Dec 10, 11 4:23 PM
Sequels that aren't:

One of my pet peeves is a game series that isn't true to its predecessors. For example, the Margrave series starts off about a realistic, working class girl and suddenly in the third game she's a witch. Hidden Expedition started off as straight hidden objects with very few really easy puzzles, then suddenly morphed into an adventure game with harder puzzles and nested, interactive hidden object scenes.

If you really liked Hidden Expedition: Everest with its blend of educational, factual information and hilarious scenes like the elevator to the top of Everest, you probably won't like The Uncharted Islands. If you really like The Uncharted Islands with its extensive journal, challenging puzzles, and mostly interactive gameplay, you probably won't like Everest. The only thing those two seem to have in common is that they were done by the same studio.

Poobearz had it exactly right:
I strongly suggest downloading the trial, not going by your previous experiences with the series.
(continued)

cbellcrm
Clownfish
Clownfish
818 Posts

[Post New]by cbellcrm on Dec 10, 11 4:30 PM
DragonLadyOz says she is a Hidden Expedition fan. DragonLadyOz, how can you be a fan of a series when the games in the series have nothing in common?

Limey_scale refers to these changes as advancements. Having better graphics or adding voice overs is an advancement. Changing from a straight hidden object game to an adventure game isn't an advancement. What's next? Maybe we'll get a Hidden Expedition game that is a Match 3, time management, or builder game.

BUYER BEWARE. Just because you liked one game in this series, DON'T buy another one without demoing it first, because you never know what you'll get.

cbellcrm
Clownfish
Clownfish
818 Posts

[Post New]by cbellcrm on Dec 10, 11 4:40 PM
Now that I've had my rant about the series, here's my review of the game.

Skip button takes 120 seconds to charge, even in the easiest mode. I've read a lot of forums and I've NEVER heard ANYONE complain that the skip button recharged too quickly. I STRONGLY resent paying money for a game and then being told I am not allowed to play it for two full minutes because I dislike a particular type of puzzle. Insert here the strongest expletive you know.

On the other hand, I've heard LOTS of people complain about sparkles. Why bother to make a hard mode if it still has sparkles? Do these developers have ANY idea what their customers want?

(continued)

cbellcrm
Clownfish
Clownfish
818 Posts

[Post New]by cbellcrm on Dec 10, 11 4:49 PM
But by far the worse thing about this game was best expressed by LoveMyBook:

A game should not be about EXACT pixel placement and clicking.

I sometimes have to check a walkthrough because I missed a navigation arrow or didn't pick up something I needed. But for this game I had to constantly check because I COULD NOT play the game simply by clicking on the obvious location. For example, at one point I thought "I probably need to put the trap here on the floor." I tried about a dozen times to put the trap on the floor, but it didn't work, so I went on to do other things. When I got to a dead end and couldn't do anything else, I checked the walkthrough and found out the trap DID go on the floor, I just hadn't clicked on the EXACT right spot. Check out this forum and you'll see that most people's problems were not finding an object or figuring out what object to use, but finding the exact right place to click to get the game to register what to do.

Some minigames were click and drag, some were click to pick up and click again to drop, and NEVER any clue in the instructions. Several times I clicked EVERYWHERE and couldn't get the game to respond. The instructions were (inseert the strongest expletive you know).

crowtrobot
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by crowtrobot on Dec 13, 11 7:25 PM
cbellcrm wrote:But by far the worse thing about this game was best expressed by LoveMyBook:

A game should not be about EXACT pixel placement and clicking.

I sometimes have to check a walkthrough because I missed a navigation arrow or didn't pick up something I needed. But for this game I had to constantly check because I COULD NOT play the game simply by clicking on the obvious location. For example, at one point I thought "I probably need to put the trap here on the floor." I tried about a dozen times to put the trap on the floor, but it didn't work, so I went on to do other things. When I got to a dead end and couldn't do anything else, I checked the walkthrough and found out the trap DID go on the floor, I just hadn't clicked on the EXACT right spot. Check out this forum and you'll see that most people's problems were not finding an object or figuring out what object to use, but finding the exact right place to click to get the game to register what to do.

Some minigames were click and drag, some were click to pick up and click again to drop, and NEVER any clue in the instructions. Several times I clicked EVERYWHERE and couldn't get the game to respond. The instructions were (inseert the strongest expletive you know).

I agree with you. And to make it worse, the game makes smart-aleck comments while you're trying to hit the right spot!

I also agree with you about game series that change their genre. Mystery Case Files games were originally straight HOG games. Return to Ravenhurst changed that. Totally different from the original MCF Ravenhurst. When I got HE Devil's Triangle I had only played straight HOG games and was surprised to find that game wasn't one. I've grown to like the game, but that one and this one both have killer mini-games. Playing the demo on any game is definitively recommended; just because you like one game in a series doesn't mean you'll like them all!

[Post New]by mheeran on Jan 6, 12 8:09 AM
I am EXTREMELY disappointed in this game. First of all, the story for this game is a continuation from their last game, but it took them so long to release it, that I have forgotten the original story line. Second, I am finding their hidden object scenes overly hard. I usually use some hints, but I'm using tons of hints this time around, and most of the time, I never would have ever seen the object where they placed them. Things blend into the background way too much. It should be a challenge, but this is really frustrating. And finally, the game keeps pausing for me, so that I click on something and nothing happens, I have to wait a few seconds and click again to take action in the game. This is making moving around and completing puzzles extremely difficult. I thought it might be my computer, but I opened a different game with similar graphics and functionality and had no trouble. If this had been my first Hidden Expedition game, I'd never buy another. I hope that their next game is much better, doesn't take such a long time to release, and has a new story line unrelated to this one.

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on Jan 9, 12 4:19 PM
terrific graphics
awesome game play
good puzzles
lots of fun
great characters
good challenges
i loved it!

Seester2
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by Seester2 on Jan 23, 12 6:17 PM
I like this game OK. The graphics were good except some of the hidden object scenes were very hard to see, especially the under-water scenes. The objects were small and blurry in those. Also, if you had to put an object from your inventory on another object in a scene to activate it it would tell you it wasn't the correct thing to do unless you got it on exactly the right spot, which was a little frustrating, especially when you know you had the right object! Other than that, it was a good game. It is a fairly long game with several levels that took a while to get through. I give it a 6.5 out of 10.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Feb 18, 12 10:19 AM
I demo this game when it come out as a CE, I put it on my wish list, and totally forgot about it.

I love the graphics and the story line was interesting enough for me to want it.

But for some reason I deleted and forgot about it until now browsing to see which games I have missed.

What a delight to get it now on SE and on sale!!!!!!!!!!!!!

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Jun 15, 12 10:56 AM
poobearz wrote:I also bought this with no trial based on the fact I love the others and have played them multiple times. Big mistake. I literally forced myself to finish it just to make sure it didn't get better further on.

Storyline was so boring and almost non existant. The underwater scenes were horribly designed, very hard to look at long enough to do the levels. For the first time ever I found myself just hitting the hint button to show me the objects because I didn't want to sit and look for them. When a game feels like a boring job, it's not worth the credit. Wish I had skipped this one or tried it before I bought it.

You know in the first few minutes if you will like it or not so I strongly suggest downloading the trial, not going by your previous experiences with this series. No more Hidden Expedition buys for me without trying them. Lesson learned.

Well, I did try the demo and thought within a few minutes that I would love it, ao I bought it after finishing the demo, and now I'm sorry.

As others have said, I've completely lost the thread of the story due to having to stumble around trying to figure out what to do or find objects that are too small or impossible to see. In the matching pair scenes, I kept hitting the hint button just to get through the scene.

The puzzles are diabolical. On some of them, figuring out the instructions is harder than working the puzzle.

I have to agree with poobearz. After the first chapter, the game begins to feell more and more like a boring and extremely difficult job.

I wasted my money, because I no longer have any interest in finishing this game.

Edited on 06/15/2012 at 10:59:07 AM PST

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Mar 9, 13 12:05 PM
Review based upon completion of the game.

So we left our explorer in Devil's Triangle when she crashed into the water trying to escape. This is still featured in the overview map for the game. We will visit three more islands. Washed ashore, you pick up some useful items and it's off to explore. You will see strange things, including the strangest spider I've ever come across. (Hint: Mona Lisa)

The Good:

+ graphics
+ videos very well done
+ some very unusual puzzles
+ a few hidden object scenes are a series of scenes of four words that are based on each other (for example, find a key to a box, then in the next list open the box and pick up four things in it, next set pick up the box etc.)

The Neutral:

o I put it into neutral rather than bad because it might be just me, but some puzzle instructions made me go HUH? - in the end the instructions were far more complicated than the puzzles themselves

The Bad:

- hint system (outside of HO scenes) utterly useless, especially on the final island
- tiny to minuscule hidden objects
- lots of backtracking because the game doesn't tell you what to do next (again, especially on the final island, but also on the first)

Bottom Line: It might be game funk or casual game burnout, but for me the game dragged on and on and on, and I had to force myself to finish it. Definitely no recommendation from me.

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Apr 26, 13 11:33 PM
I just finished Hidden Expedition: The Uncharted Islands having bought it in July last year. I started this game several times and just could not get into it Well, when selecting what to play next I decided to play it through and am glad I did It was slow getting into as the gameplay is somewhat different from my usual games BUT after I decided that referring to walkthrough and using occasional hints would not be a crime Whoopi, I liked it

I liked the graphics, colors and the HOS and Mini games once I got used to the play, storyline was pretty good to I'm going to give this one &1/2 out of 5 because the developers appeared to go to a lot of trouble to make this unique and fairly unpredictable

For what its worth Hidden Expedition: Amazon is still my all time favorite even though it is a bit hokey, Hidden Expedition: Devil's Triangle - didn't really enjoy at all & Hidden Expedition: Everest was O.K.as I DO NOT like timers!!!! but it was kind of fun. I have not played H E :Titanic.. Suggest you read the prior reviews, especially the positive ones
Happy Gaming

Edited on 04/26/2013 at 11:38:02 PM PST

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jun 6, 13 11:56 PM
Seven HO Types In One Great Adventure

BASED ON COMPLETED GAME

Rarely would many of us say that the HOS were a SERIOUS CHALLENGE, compared to puzzles. This game delivers several different HO types that will have you seriously searching:

• Standard Interactive List (with silhouette option available)
• List with 180 deg Pan
• Multiples (Find 8 things forbidden by Mom)
• HO Progressive Puzzle
• Related Pairs
• Poisoned HO
• Deliberately Monochromatic Environment

The HO PROGRESSIVE PUZZLE is similar to PROGRESSIVE SILHOUETTE HO, where you must find one item to get the next and so on. In this version, you get a LIST OF 4 ITEMS, some of which go to your inventory, and are needed to find the next list of 4 items. This goes on until you clear all 5 or 6 lists and get the necessary item. You have the option to SKIP and you can get a HINT without forfeiting the puzzle, and it is just a hint. (Try burning the canvas, for example).

The POISON HO is made particularly difficult by the colouring, and the fading in and out of focus of the items. Similarly with the MONOCHROMATIC HOS are deliberately difficult.

Although there are many HOs in this game, and they are very much MORE CHALLENGING than most, the game is also a PUZZLE ADVENTURE, with many interesting puzzles as well. A number of these are also PROGRESSIVE, taking several steps to be solved.

EXCELLENTLY DESIGNED & PRODUCED, the GRAPHICS are first rate, crystal clear except where they are deliberately designed otherwise.

The STORY is a bit FANCIFUL, and doesn’t hold tightly together, but at times the characters are quite funny, and the whole game is a ROLLICKING PIRATE ADVENTURE.

I recommend this game!

Go to: