roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Premature Burial

[Post New]by roaming on Nov 20, 11 5:21 PM
Well, I finally finished playing the game, and while it was much better than Murders in the Rue Morgue, it left me very unsatisfied. I usually like this game developer, but for some reason the Edgar Allan Poe games seem harder to figure out. Thankfully, I bought this one with a game credit. Again, I have to recommend the CE over the SE, since I kept having to get out and go to the walkthrough to know where to go or what to do next. In some cases I found I had to go back to a previous scene where I had missed something. Oh, well.

I do have to add, the voice of Victorine's lover was just WRONG! I would have like him much better if he had seemed less like a loser. I doubt Victorine's judgement in falling for him. LOL!

Edited on 11/20/2011 at 5:23:20 PM PST

kiwichook
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by kiwichook on Nov 21, 11 12:37 AM
Another fantastic game from ERS this is my favourite of the 3 EAPs I played on the advance mode and really enjoyed the difficulty level. HOS are a bit too easy but the mini games are good and there are some different ones. Generally not run of the mill the SE represents excellent game play time and value for money. Game played OK except for sound glitch when the detective first speaks to Julien nothing major though. Well done ERS and BGF 5 stars from me

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Nov 24, 11 7:13 AM
I tried the demo on two occasions and I'm just plain bored. More of the same ole same ole from ERS. And as usual it runs sluggishly in spots on my old 2004 PC.

Nothing new or novel here that I can tell and I couldn't even get through the demo due to the sameness. No buy.

Have fun those who aren't yet tired of ERS games.

karica
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by karica on Nov 25, 11 12:48 PM
Nice game nice price

cbellcrm
Clownfish
Clownfish
818 Posts

[Post New]by cbellcrm on Nov 27, 11 1:48 PM
Active areas: Some of the hot spots for places you can zoom in on never sparkle, even in easiest mode, and are very small, so expect to spend a lot of time slowly moving your cursor over the room looking for them. Lots of people, including me, missed the paint brush in the client's room. Most of the posts for help are from people who missed some hot spot. This makes using a walkthrough almost essential.

Hidden Object Scenes (HOS): Some of the names are strange. For example, when it asks for a "water can" it wants you to select the funnel. Objects which require some interaction are in red. However, some of the objects listed in black also require interaction. Examples are "snowflake" and "letter P." So you can't assume that just because it is in black you can just click on it and get it.

Puzzles: The puzzles are fairly simple, but fun. One puzzle requires two brooches, but you have to start playing it even though you only have one brooch, which was pretty confusing.

Skip and Hint buttons: Both buttons take a long time to recharge. (More than a minute for hint in easiest mode.) I detest being unable to play because I have to wait until the developer deems me worthy, but I bought this game anyway because the rest of the game made up for this annoyance.

Story: The story was good, but often illogical. For example, you spend a great deal of effort to enter a place where obviously nobody has been for years, only to discover it is where someone was buried two days ago. You go to a lot of effort to carefully remove a seal so that nobody can tell you opened the cabinet, then leave the cabinet open when you are finished. You try to leave no sign that you were there, while cutting carpets and ripping furniture upholstery. I guess they figure anyone who would buy a game with ghosts doesn't expect any logic.

Overall: A well done game. Worth the price. Definite flaws. Could be better.

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on Nov 27, 11 4:04 PM
another awesome dark tales story
great games and graphics and this was challenging from time to time
gl

KATE60
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by KATE60 on Nov 29, 11 6:34 AM
Just finished this game. Another EAP story . I really enjoyed this game, a little challenging in places especially for me .I am not the brightest tool in the box at times, but i do get there in the end. It was fun and story good ,also liked the graphics and had no problem with the characters, after all its just a game and fun hobby, for me anyway.

Edited on 11/29/2011 at 6:36:43 AM PST

Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Premature Burial

[Post New]by gpool23 on Nov 30, 11 3:13 PM
bfgRhone wrote:Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Premature Burial? Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions about the game in this thread. We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond! To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game!

A lot of fishies that will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

For any comments or discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum. If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to pop over to the support thread dedicated to the game <a href=http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/184914.page>here</a>.

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Dec 4, 11 4:15 PM
the game was just ok for me, the misdescription of some of the h.o.'s was tedious and the overall game premise was so similar to many other games

blujeens
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by blujeens on Dec 10, 11 6:29 PM
OK, here's my review on Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Premature Burial:

Graphics: The graphics during the regular part of the game were very good, in fact the beginning scene was so beautifully done that I watched it every time I started the game back up. However, I was very disappointed in the HOGs cuz they looked more like badly painted pictures than the rest of the game. I was shocked at the difference.

Voices/Sounds: Voice-overs were good. I liked the clarity of the voices, but I also noticed the accents used on names and places weren't pronounced correctly (just a little thing, I know!) The sounds were also good.

Music: Options only provided for Sounds and Music. I have to say that I was soooo disappointed that ERS was using the same soundtrack as some of its other games. I know that some fishes didn't mind that, but when I play a new game, I want to hear new music, not the same over and over again. In fact, the music sounded like it was just one or two tracks - very boring for someone who enjoys music.

Minis/HOGs: Easy and Hard were the gaming modes offered. I played the hard version, and it took me between 7 to 8 hours to play. Again, I couldn't believe the quality of the graphics during the HOGs in comparison to the rest of the game. It made it difficult to find the items for all the wrong reasons. Also, as some of the other fishes have already stated, several items were misnamed. Good thing there was no misclicking penalities that I found. The Skip & Hint buttons took a very long time to charge, and there was no hints to help during the rest of the game so you had to run around looking to find what you missed.

Game Overall: I'm afraid I wasn't as happy with this game as much as the rest of the pond. I felt the game had been turned out "prematurely!" Someone didn't do such a hot job checking this one over before letting it out. The story line was good, it had a real ending, but other than the graphics during the main part of the game, this was a real let-down for me. I'm sorry, ERS, cuz I'm usually so excited to see a new game of yours come out, but the only great part was the beginning cut scene. I might play it again... someday.

Recommendation: It's a decent game, and I'm glad I only bought the SE, but I have a hard time recommending this one simply because ERS has had such fantastic games in the past.

Out of 5 stars, I give this game

Liasmani
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
19,504 Posts

[Post New]by Liasmani on Dec 22, 11 1:10 PM
Fun Factor: 5 stars
Visual/Sound Quality: 5 stars
Level of Challenge: 5 1/2 stars
Average Rating 5 stars

Pros: Highly polish visual. Excellent voice over. Variety of puzzles and mini-games. Flesh out story.

Con: Trekking (for those who hate it.)

(This review is base on the game's demo.)

[Post New]by hineycream on Jan 3, 12 12:16 AM
Truly one of the WORST games ever!!!!

[Post New]by philanna3827 on Jan 8, 12 3:28 PM
What a wonderful game! Maybe I am alone on this but I LOVED the beautiful music.

[Post New]by SueBordian on Jan 22, 12 2:56 AM
I love the art work, as is usual with this series. Is there a walkthrough for this game?

skr041300
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by skr041300 on Jan 27, 12 11:20 AM
I really enjoyed this game; it didn't seem as "formulaic" as some of the other developer's games. Only two suggestions for future games: 1) please double check the HOS inventory names. There was some very strange labeling (either that, or the drawn representations were not done well). One example was that a "box" really looked like a ring. Second, PLEASE make the skip button on the mini games move faster. I like to play on the advanced mode so I don't have to see the sparkles, but I hate having to wait for the skip button (and hint button, for that matter) to recharge. It would be better if these could be tailored to the individual player, as other developers have done.

Otherwise, fun and challenging game. Thanks!

[Post New]by yellow_hat on Jan 31, 12 8:52 PM
Where is the wick for the chemistry set - for the acid ? I have played hundreds of HOGs and never had this many problems. I had to reference the walkthrough 10 times. I do not think there was much thought to the flow for this game. I bought it because I have the other 2. I am sorry I did not try it out first I would not have purchased it.

vetchick
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by vetchick on Feb 11, 12 2:52 PM
I waited eagerly for this game after the black cat. I was not disappointed! I loved this game as much as the last one in the series. I thought it was challenging but not so much that I had to consult the walkthrough very much. The story was great! One thing that was a little annoying was that the text did not match up with the characters' mouths when they spoke. But all in all, I am very happy with this game.

Seester2
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by Seester2 on May 30, 12 6:13 PM
Gorgeous game! Graphics are amazing, puzzles challenging but not impossible, intriguing storyline, perfect length. Love the interactive hidden object scenes! A 9 out of 10 for me.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 14, 12 6:34 AM
this game is a buy for us.----------doug & lisa

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Sep 14, 12 1:54 PM
Somehow I missed this game when it first came out and was surprised to find a third one during a recent sale. Review based upon completion.

This is the third spin on a classic Edgar Allan Poe tale, this time it's - Surprise - The Premature Burial. In the original there's a narrator from the ego perspective, no love story and no Auguste Dupin. As usual I have to say that I do not like literature being tampered with - in this case I can kinda forgive it since I was not familiar with the original story.

The Good:

+ graphics
+ game length

The Neutral:

o somebody please tell the person who speaks Dupin how to pronounce "Monsieur"
o some very strange pronunciation of French names from the other voiceover artists

The Bad:

- interactive clues in HO scenes not always clear
- in a few occasions senseless running around since you don't know what to do next

Bottom Line: Another well done part of the series.

Go to: