sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

Re:Reviews for Death Under Tuscan Skies: A Dana Knightstone Novel Collector's Edition

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Nov 6, 11 1:42 PM
Excellent game. Worth the money for me. However, it is not a smooth game. I have a very modern computer and there is alot of skipping and jerkiness with the game. However, I am happy that there are few HOGs and more adventure and minipuzzles. The artwork is okay. I would prefer more voice overs. However, not bad. I always wanted to learn Italian, so now is my chance to pick up some words. Very similar to Spanish, which I teach, so it has been fun for me to try to figure out the words. Didn't think I would like it after first downloading it. However, it has proved to be a great game. A very heart jerker, however. Sad story of unrequited love. Enjoying the game immensely but tired of the jerkiness. Maybe needs an update, BF?

Lyvia
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

Re:Reviews for Death Under Tuscan Skies: A Dana Knightstone Novel Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Lyvia on Nov 6, 11 2:01 PM
Poutoule wrote:I'll be the only one who got bored with the game....
Graphics are good, clear, but so cold and sometimes colors are too bright to be true (flowers outside especially). I felt like going through a technical book.
Mini game after mini game, very tiring.

I'm with you (and I liked the first Dana Knightstone). I only played the demo, but I was really bored. I did like the graphics and story, but there wasn't much there there. When I won the award for 15 minigames, I couldn't believe I had played that many. They didn't require much thought. I played in advanced mode, but it just wasn't interesting and was way too easy.

I do like my games more on the difficult side. As a DD, they've got a sale, but I won't but this or the SE.

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Nov 6, 11 2:09 PM
Well, about the only positive thing I can say is that the graphics are lovely. It is called a h. o. adventure game, and I am 50 minutes into the game....and not one h. o. scene. I preferred the previous Dana Nightstone Novel game much more. Also, a big no no for me is to have to go to the menue to get to the strategy guide. This takes us way to much time, as far as I'm concerned, when you feel you need to check the sg often to figure out what to do next, or you're having trouble with a mini game. I don't buy CE games that make you do this. Call me picky, but it's just something that I find annoying. I may get it with a pcc when it comes out as a SE, when I can run off a walk through on my printer. I didn't finish the demo as one of the buttons needed for the gate in the garden didn't make it into my inventory, so I cannot procede; and there's not enough time to go back and play under a new identity to see if it shows up next time.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Nov 6, 11 2:13 PM
grandmab3248 wrote:Well, about the only positive thing I can say is that the graphics are lovely. It is called a h. o. adventure game, and I am 50 minutes into the game....and not one h. o. scene. I preferred the previous Dana Nightstone Novel game much more. Also, a big no no for me is to have to go to the menue to get to the strategy guide. This takes us way to much time, as far as I'm concerned, when you feel you need to check the sg often to figure out what to do next, or you're having trouble with a mini game. I don't buy CE games that make you do this. Call me picky, but it's just something that I find annoying. I may get it with a pcc when it comes out as a SE, when I can run off a walk through on my printer. I didn't finish the demo as one of the buttons needed for the gate in the garden didn't make it into my inventory, so I cannot procede; and there's not enough time to go back and play under a new identity to see if it shows up next time.

Hi gramdmab - if you go into the journal and click the redtab - you'll be taken to the Strategy Guide. Hope this helps.

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Nov 6, 11 2:25 PM
textrekkie wrote:
grandmab3248 wrote:Well, about the only positive thing I can say is that the graphics are lovely. It is called a h. o. adventure game, and I am 50 minutes into the game....and not one h. o. scene. I preferred the previous Dana Nightstone Novel game much more. Also, a big no no for me is to have to go to the menue to get to the strategy guide. This takes us way to much time, as far as I'm concerned, when you feel you need to check the sg often to figure out what to do next, or you're having trouble with a mini game. I don't buy CE games that make you do this. Call me picky, but it's just something that I find annoying. I may get it with a pcc when it comes out as a SE, when I can run off a walk through on my printer. I didn't finish the demo as one of the buttons needed for the gate in the garden didn't make it into my inventory, so I cannot procede; and there's not enough time to go back and play under a new identity to see if it shows up next time.

Hi gramdmab - if you go into the journal and click the redtab - you'll be taken to the Strategy Guide. Hope this helps.
Textrekkie: Thanks. grandmab

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Nov 6, 11 3:50 PM

So far (demo) I'm loving it as much if not more than the first Dana Knightstone game, .... graphics are wonderful, storyline intelligent and intriguing... mini games on the simple side, yet that's ok bye me because the storyline is great and I want to continue on to gain plot time.

I will buy this as a CE versus SE because:

1) It appears to be among the rare superbly crafted games that encompass moral character, plotline and quality graphics along with a wee bit of spookiness (ie. versus the current trend of drab, dismal, decrepit, bleck, etc scenerios, of which I can only play in very small doses) AND because it's more of an ADVENTURE, woohoo!

2) I get 3 punches on my card (another game sooner)

and because...

3) I want to!!!!!!!!, heehee

Way to go, BF!

Edited on 11/06/2011 at 3:57:45 PM PST

kidzz3
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by kidzz3 on Nov 6, 11 4:39 PM
I may be the only person that says this... BUT!

While this was an enjoyable game for a lazy Sunday... it was entirely too easy. I finished the entire game in Advanced Mode (including Epilogue) in 4:49:48.

While I appreciate being able to choose "Advanced" I'd really like to spend more than 5 hours on a CE. I seriously don't feel like I got my money's worth. I can't imagine how boring this game would have been in casual mode with sparkles everywhere.

As far as those folks upset about the hints available in the journal and dialogue... I didn't use them. I clicked on the journal when it sparkled because the sparkles bug the daylights out of me.

I did refer back to the journal for reminders on what the clues were for specific mini-games at times but generally speaking, they were entirely too simplistic and didn't really require any thought whatsoever to complete. Process of elimination was usually enough to stumble upon the correct solution.

All in all, this was not a game that required any kind of actual thinking or deduction on the part of the player. I wish BFG would have a rating scale that would give us a clue ahead of time as to how hard a game would be.

As I said... I like them to last more than 5 hours for 6 chapters and a bonus game.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Nov 6, 11 4:42 PM
(Disclaimer--25 minutes with the demo)

Sheesh--Unlike some folks who use this thread every Thursday and Sunday to bemoan the CE/SE differences, I'd like to offer a Review! And we're certainly not all Mensa members--a lot of us regular gamers do have a good bit of "actual thinking" and "deduction." (And I've yet to set a stopwatch when playing a game.).

The developer (BoomZap) has given us yet another very quality Adventure (with a bit of hidden-object scenes tossed in). The first "Dana Knightstone" game was surely good, and this one is, too. The premise? Travel to Tuscany (Italy) and delve into an adventure about a years-old mystery.

The intro sets the bar quite high, especially with the voice acting. I really liked the Options Menu, including the game cursor, which worked smoothly. The musical background is a soothing piano-style. The graphics are "primo"! You can really tell that the artistry is well done.

There's a Hint system (bottom right) that re-ups a bit slowly, and a "Journal" (bottom left) that includes tasks and the integrated Strategy Guide.

As with the first "Dana Knightstone" game, this one is kinda like reading a follow-up novel. (Do we wanna have a sequel to Charlaine Harris's "Dying For Daylight"? Heck, YES!)

Regards, elldee

Edited on 11/06/2011 at 4:55:27 PM PST

Kathyju77
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by Kathyju77 on Nov 6, 11 6:42 PM
Totally enjoyed this game. The color and graphics are very good quality. The story line was decent and the HOs were fun with the interaction. Enjoyed the puzzles too.
An absolute thumbs and high recommendation!

MarkAlan
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

[Post New]by MarkAlan on Nov 6, 11 7:56 PM
KathyGriggs wrote:It would be grand to be able to have both the CE & the SE available at the same time so we could choose!

One of the selling points of the Collector's Editions is "Early Access".
When Big Fish Games began in 2001, the cost of games were $ 19.99.
But over the years, due to competition and the economy, prices began to drop.

To recoup the costs on games, the "Collector's Edition" was born and the prices went back up.

If both the CE and SE were offered simultaneously, the SE would be the unanimous champion, given the fact that most gamers lack patience.

Edited on 11/06/2011 at 7:59:15 PM PST

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Nov 6, 11 10:41 PM
Like Shadowfax and others, I found this game quite easy in general: most of the hidden object scenes weren't too tricky, and for those who like a lot of hidden object scenes this game will disappoint. It's more of an adventure game, with some hidden object scenes and some silhouette object scenes thrown in. And you do have to be prepared for a story about romance among dead people since the main character writes historical romance novels.

Most of the mini-games weren't that tricky, but the game sure has a lot of them and of all types (the only kind it didn't have was "find the differences"). The sliders were a little challenging because the pieces are only bi-directional (EITHER up or down OR side to side), and a couple of the mini-games are difficult: in one, you have to figure out what pictures have in common, and the last scene in that mini-game really stumped me.

I liked the opening chapter, which takes place in a library: Italian libraries, of course, don't use the Library of Congress classification system, but I liked that the game actually made an effort to have us use the library as a library. I also liked being surrounded with Italian signs. The reproductions of buildings were not solely related to Tuscany (the coliseum is in Rome) and some locations didn't look too Tuscan, but it made the game fun for me. The chapters do get shorter as you go along. Also, throughout the game you have to examine the scenes quite carefully, because some of the objects you need to solve other puzzles are hard to find.

No hidden object game lasts as long a good time management game like Royal Envoy or a good adventure game like Totem Tribe, but the play time for this game is very good. The main game and the bonus game took me just under six hours. I wouldn't say this is the greatest game or the most creative game ever produced, but it's a good game. I'm not sorry I purchased the CE because I wanted a game to play today, but I didn't think that the bonus game added much to the story, so the SE will get you a long-playing game for half the price.

Edited on 11/06/2011 at 10:42:50 PM PST

dashes
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

[Post New]by dashes on Nov 7, 11 4:56 AM
JUST ANOTHER HIGH - QUALITY GAME FROM BOOMZAP THAT HAVE EVERYTHING ON THE EXTRA CONTENT :

CUTSCENE

CONCEPT ART

MUSICAL SOUNDTRACK

STRATEGY GUIDE

WALLPAPERS

EPILOGUE OR BONUS GAMEPLAY

AND WORTH TO BUY!

SoManyCrimes
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by SoManyCrimes on Nov 7, 11 6:57 AM
A review based on playing the demo of Chapter 1:

Not my kind of thing, I'm afraid: hopping between improbable mechanical contrivances that seem to serve no other purpose than to string out Dana's research in order to collect notes between lovers that have no reason to be there (why send a note directing Eva to a book just so she can find a second note?? Just write your message in the first note, Giovanni!).

I know these things go with the territory like hunting through heaps of junk for twenty items only to then just keep one of them, but here there was basically nothing plausible here. Why was the Chancellor's office hidden behind a statue? Won't people need to see him for University business? The whole world seems to be constructed exclusively for Dana's benefit, which makes the story very difficult for me to swallow.

Still, there are lots of different mini-games (I got the achievement for finishing 15 during chapter 1!), and mercifully few hidden object scenes (or probably far too few, if they happen to be your cup of tea!) but I'd like something a bit more challenging: I've still got twenty minutes left of my demo and I'm already on chapter 2 (of 6?).

The voice acting is good, and the graphics are very nice, although I'd have preferred an actual Italian setting rather than the sanitised fantasy they've gone for. But I suppose it's in keeping with the genre, which, as I said, isn't really my thing. If you're after some breezy escapism I imagine it's perfect.

I would like to mention the writing. It's not particularly ambitious, and I wouldn't say it was well-written. In the voiceovers Dana relies too much on empty clichés (about one per sentence!) to be convincing as a writer/lecturer. But it is all clear, competent and as far as I could see there were absolutely no mistakes. If this sounds like damning with faint praise then it's not: hardly any of the games on here are mistake free in the demos, and the mistakes usually ramp up towards the end. I have a strict policy now after demoing so many lacklustre games that I stop playing the demo if I find any mistakes in the first fifteen minutes.

This is the only game in the past few weeks that has passed the test!

So well done Boomzap for actually putting the effort in. I'll certainly be trying any future offerings.

Edited on 11/07/2011 at 11:05:04 AM PST

spenny1
Catfish
Catfish
1,637 Posts

[Post New]by spenny1 on Nov 7, 11 7:41 AM
Well this is a pretty game, but nothing really grabbed me. I did play for the full hour trial, and whilst it was a nice way to pass the time, I don't think I'll be buying it.

There are plenty of puzzles, which is normally a big plus for me, but there's not a lot else really. I was actually quite pleased when I came across a **** scene! The puzzles were all so easy that it just felt like padding.

I think for younger players this would be a lovely choice, or just some lazy Sunday afternoon time passing, but personally, I like a bit more of a challenge.

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Nov 7, 11 8:54 AM
This is such an excellent game. I spent about 10 hours living in its zone and was happy to do so. It is well worth the CE.
The plot line will keep you going, I didn't miss voice overs..sometimes they are wonderful but just as likely to detract (wonder if talkies were seen that way)
Awesome Art. The gang in Polant really outdid themselves. The gameplay is smooth, almost effortless. Even I could handle most of the games..some took some patience and head scratching but fun, nevertheless.
Every room you go into has oodles of things needed, played, minigames..it goes on and on.
So, since everyone else has written a lot more technical stuff than I, just believe me..this is a GOOD one.
kris

jlbaughn1
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by jlbaughn1 on Nov 7, 11 10:13 AM
This game was absolutely beautiful from the music to the graphics. The story line was very intriguing throughout the entire game and the bonus epilogue. The mini games were very well thought out and not the usual connect the pipes, etc. I completed the regular six chapters and bonus epilogue in 6 Hours and 21 minutes. I play the advanced mode and did not skip any games. Don't rush this one, relish the game play and atmosphere. Truly a 5 star game!!

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Nov 7, 11 11:17 AM
Beeee-u-ti-ful game. Nothing hard or taxing, but that is Ok once in a while. It did have H0 scenes, just fewer than usual, with more adventure and puzzles that were fairly easy. The scenery is very pretty and the gaphics are clear. I relished this game so much It took me about 9 hours taking everything in and trying not to skip anything or ask for clues. Games in my opinion shouldn't always be something that is super challenging. Once in awhile its nice just to have something fun and easy and this game was just that. .

Edited on 11/07/2011 at 11:23:30 AM PST

Kyasarin
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by Kyasarin on Nov 7, 11 1:27 PM
I'll definitely be buying this one. I loved the demo. It's challenging, visually stunning, got an intriguing plotline, and the voiceovers are actually fun to listen to. Can't decide if I want to buy it now or wait until next month. I might just buy it now, even though I shouldn't be spending money!

roxiestar74
Minnow
Minnow
290 Posts

[Post New]by roxiestar74 on Nov 7, 11 3:33 PM
Loved the first game, and was excited to see that the sequel was out. Played the demo and it didn't blow me away, was going to wait for SE, but then I remembered that the demo of the first game started off slow for me as well, and that it wasn't until after the demo that I really started to get hooked and love it. The weather is crappy outside and I am looking for something to pass the time, so I decided to buy the game despite the fact that I did not love the demo. I am hoping that it will be like the first game was for me and get better as it moves along.

I know that there are probably H0 scenes somewhere in the game, but I did not encounter any during my demo. Lots of puzzles though. If you love H0 scenes more than puzzles than this game might not be for you. I prefer doing more puzzles than H0 scenes, so it is right up my alley.

ETA: I finished the game. I felt as if it got better after the demo and I enjoyed it a lot. It was a nice change having a game with more puzzles than H0 scenes, I would guess that there were only 5 or 6 H0 scenes in the whole game and they were spread out. There is a lot of interactiveness in the game, picking up objects and finding a place for them, and that usually involves doing a puzzle. I played most of the puzzles without skipping them and they were fun. In general, the game is challenging without being too hard.

The length was really good. It took me around 7 hours to finish the whole game including the bonus. I am slower than some of the other players here so it might not be as long of a game for everyone, but I think for most people it will still be longer than the average game. The bonus game didn't really add much to the story and it was my least favorite part. It did not feel cohesive with the rest of the game and seemed like a last minute add on. So if you are on the fence about whether to purchase the CE or SE, I think that you won't be missing out on much if you get the SE instead. Especially since the strategy guide isn't really needed since the hint system is really good. I don't even think I used the strategy guide. But if you are like me and can't wait for the SE, I don't think you will be disappointed. It was one of the most fun games I have played in a while. It also made me want to play the first Dana Knightstone game again. I think I liked that game a little bit more than I liked this one, but they are both fun, original, high quality games and I hope they make another one in the future.

Edited on 11/13/2011 at 3:34:08 PM PST

[Post New]by spikescajunmom on Nov 7, 11 10:13 PM
I was happy to see this come out. I beta tested it and really enjoyed it. If you like the first one you will most probably like this. A good mix of puzzles and hidden object. Very good graphics, good storyline, music was good (if you choose to play music) and you can choose skill level. I'm buying as a CE!

Go to: