ivanbral
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
423 Posts

Re:Reviews for Red Crow Mysteries: Legion

[Post New]by ivanbral on Nov 9, 11 4:33 AM
thanks everyone for comments and suggestions! We appreciate it!

Having a Diary could be a good idea and we'll look to have one in our next game.

MerryAnne
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by MerryAnne on Nov 9, 11 4:33 AM
I agree with others comments, this is a lovely looking well made game.

Delighted to see the options menu has the custom cursor toggle button which makes a game playable or unplayable for some of us.

All in all, two thumbs up for this one.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Nov 9, 11 4:50 AM
Ivanbral, it's great to see you here again so soon! We loved your first game, and this one looks great, too. It's a definite purchase for me.

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Nov 9, 11 4:54 AM
ivanbral wrote:thanks everyone for comments and suggestions! We appreciate it!

Having a Diary could be a good idea and we'll look to have one in our next game.

Well on the strength of this one I'll be buying your next game for sure. It's nice to see such a mature well thought out game. The puzzle difficulty is perfect and there doesn't seem to be anything frivolous in it. Very nice game guys.

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Nov 9, 11 5:09 AM
Absolutely LOVE this game! Makes such a change to not have piles of various objects in HOG scenes!
Music not irritating, puzzles aren't too difficult, three choices of difficulty levels, seems quite a long game too The game play is excellent, graphics a bit fuzzy but for a non CE are well done..
Just can't wait for the W/T as totally stuck at the cemetary!.

Edited to say I managed to finish the game with only one need for the W/T! And it's taken me a good 5 hrs of game play.
Best game I've played in ages...do hope there's a follow up. And will look out for more games by these devs!

Edited on 11/09/2011 at 7:53:14 AM PST

poggyapoo
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by poggyapoo on Nov 9, 11 5:32 AM
adrienne1 wrote:
Nilosh wrote:Looks like I'm the first one here.....Downloading it as I write and looking forward to spending the MANY club credits that I still have on hand. I still think we should be able to spend them on CEs as there is not much else to buy. Interesting storyline and will be back for review. Cheers everyone

I thought 2 club credits could be used to buy a CE. I may be wrong but it may be worth checking on this

you can spend two GAME CREDITS on a CE, but NOT by using game codes sent by email. I have actually asked the question at BFG but no!

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Nov 9, 11 5:36 AM
i bought it and i'm playing it when children will be busy elsewhere,because i don't want to be distracted!
what was the first game from cateia?
this one is good one,with story,atmosphere,puzzles(sometimes hard ones)not too much hidden objects scenes,just enough !
very well done!go on ,Ivan of five

ivanbral
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
423 Posts

[Post New]by ivanbral on Nov 9, 11 5:41 AM
in fact there are several our adventure games available on Big Fish, like:
- Tales from the Dragon Mountain: The Strix
- Hotel
- The Legend of Crystal Valley
- Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe New World

Our first game released on BFG was The Legend of Crystal Valley back in 2009

grammyapples
Herring
Herring
343 Posts

[Post New]by grammyapples on Nov 9, 11 5:54 AM
I am loving this game!
I have gotten stuck a few times but just keep going back and forth until it dawns on me what I should do. Right now I seem to be looking for another wire or cable for the gas tank, and perhaps another headlight.
I have a few other games from Cateia Games and they are awesome.
I see our "Walkthrough Guru Margie" has posted that there will be a walkthrough from developer, for us older folk with "Much gray hair", and Less gray matter". LOL

Rhysdux
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,219 Posts

[Post New]by Rhysdux on Nov 9, 11 6:30 AM
There is one word for this game, and it is FRUSTRATING.

Half of the problem is that the graphics are very dark, which means that unless the cursor changes as I glide the mouse over them, I won't see a thing. Even if I do see something, the odds are that I won't be able to tell what the something is supposed to be or what item I'm supposed to use. I went through this game feeling half-blind.

I kept finding things that were supposed to be hints--as with the one for the drawer with the angel medallion key or the old paper that you put over the symbol stone in the garden. But neither told me anything about how the designers wanted me to think. "14=1"? Well, I tried pushing 1 and 4 on the clock to start things off. I never in my life would have thought that this meant "Start at the 14th hour, which is 2...because to me, 2 p.m. is 2 p.m., not 1400. And I never did figure out what to do with those symbols. You can't push the ones visible through the holes int the paper, and I hadn't seen any symbols that had resembled them up till then.

Clicking the hint button did no good, either. It just directed me back to the unhelpful hint area, as if to say, "Well, the answer's right THERE. Why aren't you GETTING it?"

Rarely has a game made me feel so stupid.

And saving the world? Forget it. I couldn't even get the hood of the car open. I did manage to attach two weights to the crowbar, but I needed a third and--as usual--couldn't find what I needed. For two cents, I'd have said," Screw trying to fix this pile of junk," and just started walking down the road away from Aunt Mildred's house...but of course you can't do that.

As for the "saving the world from demons" thing...eh. I spent the past week in a shelter, and I heard more than enough apocalyptic drivel from one of the women there. I'm tired of demons. I'm tired of the apocalyptic or post-apocalyptic futures being presented as the only futures in games. I'd like a game that focuses on a positive future for a change.

The best I can say of the game is that I can see that the designers put genuine effort into it. They tried. But this game did not work for me on a physical, mental or emotional level. It failed in every respect.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 9, 11 6:47 AM
ivanbral wrote:in fact there are several our adventure games available on Big Fish, like:
- Tales from the Dragon Mountain: The Strix
- Hotel
- The Legend of Crystal Valley
- Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe New World

Our first game released on BFG was The Legend of Crystal Valley back in 2009

I'm afraid I never liked the graphics, and in some cases the gameplay ,of any of these games, and never bought them. So no wonder I don't like this game either.

Edited on 11/10/2011 at 5:54:39 AM PST

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Nov 9, 11 6:55 AM
I don`t like this game very much. The graphic isn`t really good on my laptop, very fuzzy. Items are often tiny and not good to see. The storyline is okay. For me its a no buy

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Nov 9, 11 7:47 AM
Nice combo of easy and not so easy puzzles. I like that its more adventure than H0 scenes. I don't care much for this type of graphics (a bit grainy IMO) . Overall this looks like a well made game and a definite buy.

Edited on 11/09/2011 at 4:35:30 PM PST

[Post New]by Crystalscove22 on Nov 9, 11 8:27 AM
CasualGran wrote:(This IS the review thread, but looking at the first gamerposts you could have fooled me )

Hi Ivan! Always great a developer joins in to answer our comments and questions! Welcome!

First my compliment because of the options menu. We can choose three modes to play: easy, casual and adventure, we can get rid of the sparkles (!), we can even choose not to hear the audio! Awesome. These options, and I haven't even mentioned them all, certainly should please everyone!

Within 5 minutes I've deceided to buy this game. It looks beautiful, the story is intresting, and there are voice-overs, which is a favorite feature to me.
OK, the graphics look a little grainy, but I suppose that's just the style of this game. I accept it, and am happy to be able to purchase a good game for the regular price!

If you like this game like I do: Enjoy!

I

I couldnt agree more with you CasualGran; I come to this forum looking for reviews on the game ; but more & more lately I cant find an actual review and in this case was almost impossible. Yours was the 1st I came across. Thank you.
Thanks too to Ivan for checking in. Its great to know you are interested in your product !

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Nov 9, 11 8:42 AM
I have only played 15 min. of it ....& that's all I can take , Sorry , No appeal at all ...

moesart
Minnow
Minnow
242 Posts

[Post New]by moesart on Nov 9, 11 8:49 AM
tuttepeever wrote:This game needs a walkthrough. Stuck on the drawer. Have a picture, a piece of paper with code of some kind and a bullet. Can someone help.

You have to solve the 9 flower puzzle first. Then you can work on the drawer. The bullet has nothing to do with the piece of paper.
hope that helps.

dogma45
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by dogma45 on Nov 9, 11 8:53 AM
WOW! just played a few minutes of demo and i know it is a buy for me! Beautiful game and i am catching on how it works. got to go to work but looking forward to playing this evening.

jawfish
Herring
Herring
349 Posts

[Post New]by jawfish on Nov 9, 11 8:58 AM
Sorry have to agree with several others upthread that I don't care for this game, the graphics are quite fuzzy compared to many recent games. The dev's last game, Tales from Dragon Mountain, also had the same graphics, quite blocky looking. Hope the graphics can be improved in next game.

sarah451
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by sarah451 on Nov 9, 11 9:16 AM
- Great variety of options!
- Not a real HOG; more of an adventure with a few things to find that are in groups.
- A bit grainy, but it takes me back to Myst, so I won't hold that against it; however, it does make some things hard to find.
- Lots of games these days have a magnifier or hand show up on everything you should pick up. Not so here. For some of us, that's a great challenge; others might find that makes it tough, especially since the graphics are not so clear, light and bright. From one comment in this thread from the developers, that hand appears in Adventure mode for everything you should pick up, but not in easy or casual. That seems backward to me.
- Lots of things to be done are not obvious, even in easy mode. Again, that's either great for a challenge or annoying as all get out. Only you know which sort of games you prefer.
- There's no diary. Nothing stores the clues you've come across. In one place, there is a set of codes you will need later, but when you get to where you will use them, you either need to go back, have a very good memory, or refer to the screen capture in the walkthrough. Again, this either means you have to be more involved and take notes (you should see my Visio maps for all the Zorks!), or it will drive you nuts.
- Some of the mini-games are harder than usual; e.g., the water valves. Minis like that are usually a process of elimination, but this one reuses some valves, making it extra difficult, and I didn't see any hints for the sequence anywhere.
- Depending on your mode of play and how quick you are to solve or skip puzzles, this one might be a bit short. I played easy, skipped the dialogs and 3 puzzles, and got 2/5 of the way through in the free hour. That means the whole game will probably take me under 3 hours even if I don't skip anything else. Syberia took days even with a walkthrough for rough spots.

A few glitches:
- I had all the dials on the first door set properly, but nothing happened. I double checked the colors. I got out of the puzzle, came back in and reworked it, then it solved.
- When I zoom in on the cupboard in the garage, it tells me that I need a tool to remove the bolts. That is wrong. What I need is the missing dial. Fortunately, it's pretty obvious, but somebody didn't do enough error checking or beta testing.

All in all, a nice little adventure game.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Nov 9, 11 9:23 AM
This review is based on the demo.

Red Crow Mysteries: Legion is one of those games that requires some time and persistance. It is slow in the start up and somewhat confusing initially, but it has the makings of a good adventure. But unfortunately for me I was short on time this morning and not able to give it all the patience or attention it probably required.

Up front options. There are 4 Volume butttons: Master Volume, Music Volume, Voice Volume and Effects Volume.

View Options are Full Screen, Custom Cursor and then below, an option for Wide Screen Borders. I like to play in wide-screen mode. (If I play in full screen, I want to know that the aspect ratio is honored.) So I click on the button that says Wide Screen Borders - thinking that meant wide screen mode - but it doesn't. So I'm not sure what this button means.

The story - you wake (because someone is telling you to) in a bedroom that looks like yours but something seems off. Your supposed to find your mother in the garden. However first you have to find six gold flowers. (But you really have to find nine gold flowers). Then you can leave that room. and continue, but from there you have to solve more puzzles to leave another room to get into another room, to solve more puzzles and no sign of mother and the garden yet. Whose house is this anyway?

I'm a little puzzled (litterally) up front, because I don't have any idea what is going on with the story. Why am I trying to find my mother in the first place? If this isn't my house, then where am I? Without anything to draw me into the game, I'm just not there. Like I said, it could be that I just don't have the time today. But I can see the potential. The graphcis are okay on the closeups, and scenery, but not so much on the furniture and walls, etc.

All in all, the storyline needs to be developed and out there faster. The graphics need work as they appear much too blocky in some scenes; the puzzles encountered in the first 30 minutes of the game seemed so random why do I have to find a knife, cut a chair to find a puzzle piece, solve a puzzle and shoot a lock off a door, just to go to another room? It's too much. And the option screen - really needs some explanation...I can appreciate all the choices - but what are they for?

Edited on 11/09/2011 at 9:35:28 AM PST

Go to: