Great Game!

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Nov 11, 11 10:32 AM
Hey, Ivanhoe is here. haha

Hi, Ivan and thanks for being here. I just finished the game and here are my comments.

First, it's a great game. It's different from the run of the mill HOG games and that's a good thing. I thoroughly enjoyed this game. It was clever and interesting and very well thought out. The music, sound effects, and voice acting were all very good. It was much more an Adventure game than a Hidden Object game. It held my interest throughout and I enjoyed playing it very much. Also, there really were no major glitches and I had no trouble painting the lions. A few times, there were minor glitches, but I persevered and got through them. Also, the numerous Options were fantastic. Maybe next time you could include Gamma Correction, to change the Brightness of the game.

So the bottom line is that this is a great game and I highly recommend it. I rate it an 8.5 out of 10.

Here are my suggestions:

1) I'm not crazy about the flashlight scenes. I like having to fix power sources to light up a room, but don't really like hunting for items using a flashlight. There were too many scenes in the game where you had to use the flashlight, for my tastes.
2) The graphics were nice, but a bit dark and grainy. I know it provided the proper atmosphere, but I prefer brighter and crisper graphics.
3) The main character itself should speak. Here, you only heard the character you were talking to speak, but your character only used text. She should have spoken, too. Also, you had a Skip button for the dialogue scenes, but not a Continue button. I don't like to Skip the Dialogue, but I usually read what is being said before they finish talking, so I would like a Continue button to just move along to the next bit of dialogue.
4) The puzzles were great, but some of them were too difficult. Also, some Objects were too tough to find.
5) Sometimes, loading took too long when changing scenes. I also would prefer arrow pointers for movement.
6) The Hint and Skip buttons took a little too long to recharge for my tastes.
7) Finally, I didn't understand the ending, but I imagine there will be a Sequel.

Most of the above suggestions are minor points, when taken by themselves. But taken as a whole, they made a difference.

Again, it was a great game and if you change a few things for your next game, it should be 9.5 out of 10.

Thanks for this game and I look forward to your next game. Great job!

Edited on 11/11/2011 at 11:05:40 AM PST

sleuthster
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

Re:Talk with the developers of Red Crow Mysteries: Legion here!

[Post New]by sleuthster on Nov 11, 11 10:44 AM
Thank you so much for this game! IMHO it has nearly everything I could ask for. I play HOGS just for the interactive,adventure,mini-games and puzzel aspects of them. I HATE the actual hidden object scenes. Thank you for some lateral thinking and not telling me the exact thing I need for every interactive scene. You seem to appreciate the fact that we have brains. I would buy and play a game like this every day if it were available!

kspes
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by kspes on Nov 11, 11 3:25 PM
Nice to hear all those wonderful comments and ideas! Thanks fishies, you made my day

1) about the movement cursor - noted!
2) skip/hint time - you can change it in the settings if you don't like it
4) ofcourse some puzzles have to be difficult, they're there if you want to collect 100% of the achievements

@sleuthster: if you like Legien, you can check our previous game which is similar to this one: Tales from the Dragon Mountain: The Strix
---
Krešimir Špes
Cateia Games

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Nov 11, 11 9:26 PM
Hi, Kresimir.

I played it on Easy and I thought the hint/skip time, still took too long. In many games on Easy, it takes 20 seconds to recharge. I think yours took 45 seconds. So even if you need just 3 hints, you click on it for one hint, and then have to wait for it to recharge twice to get the next 2 hints. With yours, you have to wait a minute and half. With the 20 second recharge, you only have to wait 40 seconds. Waiting for the hint/skip meter to recharge is not really fun. As many people here often say, those that don't want to use hints, simply won't use them. But those that want hints, don't want to wait. If I had my druthers, I would have instantaneous unlimited hints without having to wait for it to recharge at all. A great thing about the game was that there was no random-click penalty.

Yes, I do realize that the game shouldn't be too easy and should present a challenge, especially to earn the Achievements. But I still thought some of the puzzles were too difficult and time-consuming and so I skipped them, which I usually don't like to do.

These are my suggestions. Obviously, you have to get everybody's opinions and see what they like and then hopefully implement what the majority wants next time.

I am going to try out that other game you mentioned.

Thanks.

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Nov 11, 11 9:48 PM
ivanbral wrote:
Lucy1997 wrote:Even after installing the fix, I can't get any of the lions into the paint. Would it help if I created a Dr. Felix file and sent it to BFG?

are you sure that you mixed all colors first? because, if colors are not 100% mixed, then you won't be able to dip in the lions and paint them.
to mix colors you need to find the paper with the color scheme first.

Dear Ivan and Kresimir,

yes, I had mixed all the colors, and the first time through I had tried to dip two different items in the paint and nothing worked, but I only tried to dip the lions after the fix. Got a helpful hint from a friend, which made me feel like a dunce, but I've gotten to the cemetery now and will leave the rest to the morning.

Thanks for a great game and for creating a fix that let us continue playing. You gave us all lots of choices to suit our skill level (or, at least, our imagined skill level...lol): I usually play at adventurer, and I liked being able to set the hint button on the slowest level to discourage my using it, but I also liked having a hint button in case I got really stuck. Also, even when the puzzles are easy (like the five boxes at Aunt Mildred's house) they are beautifully drawn.

[Post New]by karen18670 on Nov 11, 11 11:00 PM
Thanks for this game! This is a wonderful adventure game and I'm loving it. I've really missed this type of game for a while. I hope to see more of these in the future.

ivanbral
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
423 Posts

[Post New]by ivanbral on Nov 12, 11 12:00 AM
Hi everyone!

I can only say the same thing I said yesterday morning - it's great to sign in here and see such great comments and suggestions!

I'm really glad to see some good suggestions on how to improve our future games.So far we have:
1. Diary
2. Map of locations
3. Screen Gamma Correction (this is really cool!
4. Arrows instead "Walk" icon
5. Continue on dialogs (not only Skip)

all noted and to be discussed at Cateia Games for our next game!
thanks everyone!!!

Thank You!

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Nov 12, 11 2:06 AM
Hi, Ivan the Terrible! Bwhahahahaha I hope you know I am only joking. No disrespect intended.

You really are listening to the suggestions. That's very impressive, We know you can't please everybody and can't implement everyone's suggestions, but the fact that you are taking them seriously and will discuss them is very much appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time here.

Edited on 11/12/2011 at 2:07:24 AM PST

Spoiler Alert for 3 Lion Statues Mini-Game

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Nov 12, 11 2:46 AM
Spoiler Alert for 3 Lion Statues Mini-Game:

I see that many people are complaining that they are having trouble completing the puzzle with the 3 Lions. I finished the game before they updated it and before they updated the Walkthrough and I had no trouble with the Lion Mini-Game.

Maybe this will help:

1) First you have to collect 3 Lions, 3 colored bottles, AND 3 colored hearts. Only then, can you complete the puzzle.
2) When you click on the 3 buckets, a diagram appears on the right telling you how to mix the colors. For instance, to get Red, you have to mix Purple, Red, and Green. You will see that the diagram contains 6 colors: Red, Green, Blue, Purple, Gold, and Silver. 3 of those colors will be the colored bottles and the other 3 will be the colored hearts.
3) Besides being able to see it, when you click on an empty bucket, it tells you there are fragments of that color in there. So for the Red bucket, you have to pour in the colors Purple, Red, and Green, whether it is a colored bottle or a colored heart. You have to do this for all 3 buckets.
4) After that, you simply put one lion in each bucket and you'll get a Red, Gold, and Silver Lion.
5) Then you go to the 3 Stone Stands in the Attic and place the Lions from left to right in this order: Red - Gold - Silver. The hint there tells you that although it loves gold and silver, it loves Flesh and Blood even more. That's why red comes first.
6) When you complete the puzzle, it opens a Hatch at the base of the stands and you click on that to play a Match-3 mini-game. When you complete that, you get a Cross Key.
7) Then you click on the Man Statue, put the Cross Key on his chest, and you will get the Car Key. Then go back to the garage and take it from there.

I think some people are having trouble with the Lion game because they don't have all the colors they need. Some of the games will tell you that you are missing something and won't even let you start the puzzle until you have everything; but I don't think this mini-game does tell you that. It will actually let you put the colors you do have into the buckets, but you can't complete the game unless you have all the colors.

As a rule of thumb, if you enter a mini-game and the Hint button does not turn into a Skip button, that means you don't have everything you need to complete the mini-game.

I hope this helps and good luck to everyone. It is a great game and well worth playing.

Edited on 11/12/2011 at 2:54:51 AM PST

Another Suggestion

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Nov 12, 11 3:01 AM
Hi, Ivan.

Here is another suggestion. For all the mini-games, it shouldn't even let you start them unless you have everything you need to complete it. When you click on the mini-game it should tell you that you are missing something and can't attempt it until you get everything you need. If I remember correctly, the 3 Lions mini-game with the 3 buckets let you start it even if you didn't have all 6 colors.

Thanks for listening.

Edited on 11/12/2011 at 3:03:04 AM PST

ivanbral
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
423 Posts

Another Suggestion

[Post New]by ivanbral on Nov 12, 11 6:24 AM
Dominick_Fontana wrote:Hi, Ivan.

Here is another suggestion. For all the mini-games, it shouldn't even let you start them unless you have everything you need to complete it. When you click on the mini-game it should tell you that you are missing something and can't attempt it until you get everything you need. If I remember correctly, the 3 Lions mini-game with the 3 buckets let you start it even if you didn't have all 6 colors.

Thanks for listening.

good point! thanks!

Ivan

trout10
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by trout10 on Nov 13, 11 12:10 PM
I have just finished this game now i know i am 60+ but to be honest i didnt understand the game who was Legion was he the devil looking for a soul was the person in the car really dead what was the Red Crow society and the man smiling at the end,i am compleatly baffled,please help and put my mind at rest in understanding this game. Thank you

ivanbral
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
423 Posts

[Post New]by ivanbral on Nov 15, 11 2:10 AM
trout10 wrote:I have just finished this game now i know i am 60+ but to be honest i didnt understand the game who was Legion was he the devil looking for a soul was the person in the car really dead what was the Red Crow society and the man smiling at the end,i am compleatly baffled,please help and put my mind at rest in understanding this game. Thank you

yes, Legion is the very powerful demon. Red Crow Society has a connection to main character's family - as seen on the grandpa's tomb. It's a mysterious society that obviously has something to do with Legion as well.
I can not tell you more at the moment - more details will be revealed in the sequel

[Post New]by curiousme on Nov 15, 11 5:31 PM
I a stuck at the lions. I was able to color them, but cannot put them on the pedestals, there is no active areas to place them. Am dead in the water in this game.
Am I doing something wrong? I have already deleted the game and reinstalled.
Thanks

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Nov 16, 11 12:54 AM
I loved this game. Had no tech issues on my W7, although lion glitch on XP computer.
Made such a change to not have piles of junky HOG scenes, loved the difficulty level of the game, I never read story lines, so made no difference if it made sense or not. Would love to see some more games from you devs please!
It was one of the best games I've played in a long time!

[Post New]by Cuddlefish on Nov 17, 11 1:54 PM
Hi Ivan

Thank you for coming to the pond and talking with us.

I loved this game. it took me back to the reasons I started gaming (oh so long ago) to begin with. It was the right level of difficulty. Sometimes easy, sometimes medium and sometimes truly thought provoking.

A quibble or two - I too dislike looking for things in the dark with a flashlight. Am willing to put up with it once or twice but after that it gets old really quick.

I had no problem with the walking icons but i could have used a diary/journal where things I saw appeared. Once the picture of the statues was shown, I was unable to go back and look at it again.

Most who have written here, were fine on the colours, I found some of the time that the colours were too muted for me and I had trouble seeing them - like the second square where you have to fill in the blanks correctly, the X was way too dark against a darkish background.

I had no trouble with the plot and don't understand why anyone did.

I did have trouble with the ending. I want to see what happens next, and I want to see it now!

Thank you for all your hard work. Please produce the sequel soonest.

Cuddles

scs2
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by scs2 on Nov 25, 11 10:30 AM
I think it's great that the developers are logging in and listening to feedback.

I would have liked to buy this game, but I chose the interactive tutorial option -- which means that the top sixth of the lefthand side of the screen is completely obscured by a message saying I need more gold flowers way, way after I've completed the gold flower puzzle. This was mentioned by PC owners and has carried over into the Mac version. It doesn't seem to show on any of your lists of things you're planning to fix in this thread. I can't imagine anyone who chose the tutorial option would buy this game -- which looks like a good one from what I was able to see behind the irritating message. Seems a shame...

Edited on 11/26/2011 at 9:36:29 AM PST

vervaine
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,122 Posts

[Post New]by vervaine on Nov 26, 11 12:02 AM
First of all, I have to praise the difficulty settings. I noticed it changed to "custom" when I chose fast hint and no sparkles - if it holds in game, that's just awesome.

Unfortunately, I won't be buying the game due to no aspect correction option. Looking at stretched graphics makes me sick - I just can't play with distorted screen. I noticed that in the game the top bar disappears, but that's still not enough. The bottom bar needs to go too.
If you override my settings, please provide a way to change it back.

[Post New]by teacupsmommy on Dec 19, 11 4:42 PM
Hi. I like Red Crow Mysteries but here's my question. What does the word Contingiuos mean? In the beginning of the game when I have to rotate the flowers, I have no idea what that word means. I took vocabulary but never had that word.

abitmore
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by abitmore on Dec 28, 11 10:24 PM
Hello, Ivan! It's very thoughtful of you to come listen to us and very smart! ha ha There are a lot of very good suggestions. I just finished playing your latest game and really enjoyed it! I liked having to look for specific objects without having to go through a junkpile each time. If I want to spend my time doing that, I'll look for something on my desk! Twice, it told me it couldn't find a file (two different files), then dumped me out to my desktop. I checked and the files were there. Luckily, when I went back in, I was able to continue each time. I'm not sure if I'm playing the latest version or not but will install before I play the game again - and I WILL play it again.

I didn't have time to read all the comments but did someone suggest a diary/journal? Most developers drive me crazy, flashing their journals all the time, but used properly can be a great way to fill in a lot of gaps in the story, among other things.

Maybe it's silly, but I have to mention how much I enjoyed the artwork overall but especially pertaining to the wooden furniture and objects. I especially liked the desk that appeared to be made out of - was it a type of "flame" or "tiger" maple? There were several scenes where the piece of funiture or cabinet was just beautiful. Maybe one of your team enjoys woodworking or antiques? You put a lot of detail into your game scenes above and beyond what is required. Just wanted to let you know it was appreciated. I'm sure you'll have any kinks worked out in this game very soon. I eagerly look forward to the sequel! (I also enjoyed what I have played of The Strix. Maybe now would be a good time for me to go finish it!)

Go to: