Mimisix
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

Re:Reviews for Hallowed Legends: Templar Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Mimisix on Nov 10, 11 8:39 AM
After reading these reviews I feel like I was playing an entirely different game. I found it very convoluted. I played in Advanced mode and after playing for 30 mins was waiting for it to make some sense. I love Elephant Games and have purchased most of them, if not all. But, so far this is a no buy for me. Just didn't get it. The more I go back and read the reviews, I am very seriously wondering if I got a major glitch in the game download 'cause it really didn't make any sense.

LostForever
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by LostForever on Nov 10, 11 8:46 AM
When I go Noooo when the demo is over, it's gonna be a buy for me. Thanks BF and Elephant games.

Jolly6
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by Jolly6 on Nov 10, 11 8:47 AM
I've enjoyed other Elephant games and wanted to get excited about this one, but it just didn't grab me. Not a bad story line and great graphics, but I was a bit bored with the mini games and fairly easy HOG's and fairly easy to find inventory items. I was actually looking at my watch to see if the demo would end soon or if I should just stop on my own - something I hardly ever do. I may reconsider and buy this or use a punch card credit when it comes out as an SE. I didn't see anything here to make the CE worthwhile.

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Nov 10, 11 8:51 AM
I think this game is one of the best games ever!
The graphics, video clips, music, game play, HOG scenes...all are just superb!
Couldn't stop playing until I finished the entire game.
Nothing lame about it, and definately worth a CE price!
More like this please BFGs!
Two fab games two days running!

heartless500
Catfish
Catfish
1,605 Posts

[Post New]by heartless500 on Nov 10, 11 9:17 AM
while I thouroughly enjoyed playing the demo (was disappointed when it ended) and would really like to purchase this game - I wont be.

Why? because I cant buy it without the system trying to use my 2 game club credits that I am saving for the new MCF game later this month. Since this is a CE, I cant use coupon codes like I can (and have done) with an SE

Wise up BFG - give us the option to use game credits or not use them when buying a game!!! ANY game!

ok, rant over...

I would say that I am an average player - most games I can get thru without using a walkthru or SG, but then there are some that I do need one to get past a hard spot.
Since this demo is for the first chapter and may not last a full hour (depending on your skill) i finished it with 17 mins remaining in the hour...not fast, but not slow either.

Graphics in this game are beautiful!! very nicely done! not too dark at all.
Game did run in widescreen for me right from the start (XP, SP3, native res 1440x900) not sure why it doesnt for others, but i will not blame it on someone's computer...honestly, i am amazed when i see a square monitor still being used!

I tend to turn the volume down when playing - I dont like things to be loud, and I did adjust the volume sliders in this one too - but the music was ok, voice-overs are well done and dont drag on.

Cut scenes are very nicely done - not too dragged out.

H.O. scenes were clear enough, and things were cleverly hidden - not easy, but not too terribly difficult either.

The puzzles i encountered in the demo were not too terribly difficult - altho that ring puzzle in the attic did give me a fit - kept forgetting that certain rings move other rings, and which ones! (wasnt quite awake yet! LOL)

like i said, i would like to buy this one, but not going to use my 2 game credits on it.
If i had the option of paying cash, it would already be purchased. (and I dont buy too many CE's)

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Nov 10, 11 9:21 AM
I liked the game ....I don't have any money but, I liked a lot .......

forneymary
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by forneymary on Nov 10, 11 9:38 AM
some where i got the idea that templar knights were good guys. maybe i miss understood. it wasnt the only reason i didnt care for the game. i liked the cliff hanger at the end of the demo, the graphics, the hint system, and the short cut scenes but since when do you take an item out of inventory to use in the hog's? instead of inventory items coming out of the hog's!
i read the reviews while the game downloaded and started to think i was going to get a CE today but after the umpteenth time going back and forth, upstairs and down i changed my mind. interestingly enough the other Hallowed Legends left me feeling the same way. indifferent. as they say "you can lead a gamer to the game but you can't make him play". if i get bored enough i'll play just about anything but i wont play it first - i'll play it last. this one isnt the bottom of the stack but i wouldnt put it anywhere near the top either.

jackryan
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by jackryan on Nov 10, 11 10:03 AM
I have already played this demo some time back, and have been waiting for the normal game so I can buy it. Not sure about the CE, not worth paying for a cheat guide and graphic downloads !!!

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Nov 10, 11 11:08 AM
Oh My....., as soon as the demo started I knew it, (I am going to love this game, so much....really much...), the story is very interesting and intriguing, (especially if you are a fan of Templars' stories) and I am, the sounds xfs, are awsome, the graphics absolutly gorgeous, and the music is great, so powerful! I got the "terrifying beginning" achievement, I hope the whole game will be terrific as the start! What else to say?
I will comment more at the end, but it looks like this is going to be among the best of all!! Happy gaming!!

Edited on 11/10/2011 at 11:10:24 AM PST

kalalika
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
465 Posts

[Post New]by kalalika on Nov 10, 11 11:25 AM

while I thouroughly enjoyed playing the demo (was disappointed when it ended) and would really like to purchase this game - I wont be.

Why? because I cant buy it without the system trying to use my 2 game club credits that I am saving for the new MCF game later this month. Since this is a CE, I cant use coupon codes like I can (and have done) with an SE

Wise up BFG - give us the option to use game credits or not use them when buying a game!!! ANY game
!
HeartlessI have bought games before using my card to pay for them even though I had a game credit to use. If you check again, I'm sure you should be able to purchase this without giving up your credits....I'm saving mine until the new MCF game comes out too.

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Nov 10, 11 11:37 AM
forneymary wrote:some where i got the idea that templar knights were good guys. maybe i miss understood. quote]

Now that's contingent upon which side of the Crusades you were on

PurrrThang
Herring
Herring
394 Posts

[Post New]by PurrrThang on Nov 10, 11 12:50 PM

Wise up BFG - give us the option to use game credits or not use them when buying a game!!! ANY game!

Every time we buy a game we have the option to buy more credits. So anyone can just use the 2 credits they have and buy 2 more. To me it seems the same as paying cash. This way there would still be two credits remaining on the account and you'd have the new game.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Nov 10, 11 1:47 PM
After having a problem with the download I finally got to play and really enjoyed the trial version. Like that I can actually see the graphics and puzzles seem to be on the hard side, or so I think. Like to have the strategy in my pocket in case I get lost. I like the game developer and have a few of their games. Have to think about if I want to buy another CE as it seems I have bought quite a few lately.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Nov 10, 11 5:01 PM
Did I tell you I didn't have any money ....but liked it

glb613
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by glb613 on Nov 10, 11 5:30 PM
jailbird400 wrote:Looks like a great game! BUT...widescreen is a big deal to me when i am spending $14. I have a pc geared just for gaming. To many games out there that CAN fill my screen. No more CE that can not do this for me.

I have a 23 inch widescreen monitor and the game fills the screen.

Edited on 11/10/2011 at 5:30:56 PM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 10, 11 5:34 PM
Very nice graphics and game play; music not too bad; little voice in the background is a bit creepy; games fairly easy but need a bit of thought; HOGs not difficult but do need to "look" for some items. Nice SG as well. I really like Elephant games and have them all, but will wait on this one to see what else comes out this month. Doesn't seem very long (still had 24 minutes on my demo). Will put it in my "later" puddle. Thanks for the reviews.

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Nov 10, 11 5:37 PM
I agree with most of the reviews it is a great game. I know that are some people get bored very easily but it took me over 4 ours to finish the game then another 2 hours to play the bonus. I always buy most of the CE games since I find that they have more content.

I am sorry for those few didn't like it or want more for their money. Well then My Believe go out buy a game at a store.

The old saying" you can please some of people some of time & you can't please all of the poeple all of time.

Thanks again for a great game. I will enjoy playing it at all the levels.

SoManyCrimes
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by SoManyCrimes on Nov 10, 11 6:04 PM
A real mixed bag this one...

Despite the apparently short demo, it's actually quite a long game. Unusually, the later chapters seem to be longer than the earlier ones. So don't let the demo put you off. I would say I'm a very quick player, and it still took me about 4 hours.

I really enjoyed the beginning. The graphics and music are excellent, and the video scenes are exciting. I want to praise the developers for actually having a plot. So many games are just backstory, wandering round a set of locations trying to uncover what happened before you got there. Plenty of stuff actually happens in this game, and it feels like you're contributing to the story, rather than just tidying up after someone else's adventure!

The H0 scenes are fun, involving not only interactive parts but puzzles where you have to use your inventory items. Sometimes you can't even finish an H0 scene until you find the right item somewhere else. I enjoyed that a lot. The minigames are all good, with a nice mix of old and new puzzles. There are also some good options for how you want to play the game. I chose "Hardcore" and enjoyed having the temptation to cheat taken away. I really have no willpower!

But the writing and the story-telling..... Jeez....

It started off great. And you'll notice I say "story-telling" rather than story. The plot is good! Melodramatic hokum, of course, but you'll know from the demo whether that's your cup of tea or not. It certainly is mine!

But the problem is the story is terribly told. Common elements of Templar plots (Baphomet statues, Templar symbology, the Ark) are introduced without explanation. If you don't know anything about the Templars you'll never be any the wiser. They don't even explain who the Knights Templar were until 80% of the way through, and then it's only in a poorly written diary entry that you might not see and which comes from nowhere.

The writing starts well, but by the end its barely in English, with sentences like "Not only people, it seemed, that even the nature raise against them". The last scenes are extraordinarily awkwardly phrased, and you can hear the otherwise excellent voiceover artists struggling to deliver the lines.

The acting gets much worse, and by the end the subtitles and the spoken words don't match at all.

And it's not just the writing. By the end the game slowed right down and began to crash frequently.

I've never known a game deteriorate in quality so much...

Edited on 11/10/2011 at 6:08:37 PM PST

wolfrun_cb1
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by wolfrun_cb1 on Nov 10, 11 6:23 PM
Jools_99 wrote:It would have been a instant buy if i knew how many chapters there is. Some games I just know I will love and don't even bother with demp. This i played demo and quiet got into it, and been waiting a while for a decent new game.

But i will wait until someone posts how long this game actually is first.

J

There are four chapters but that doesn't really mean anything. Several people assume that if the game has a lot of chapters it's a long game. There is no way to tell how long a game is until you play it all the way through. This one is four chapters but who knows how long each chapter will be. This isn't like reading a book where you can see how many pages there is for the whole book.

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Nov 10, 11 6:33 PM
It's been a while since I've swam in the pond-been playing games here and there, but have so much going on in my life otherwise. I finished the sample version in about 38 minutes-but used the hint button frequently and skipped a couple of mini games. Someone earlier mentioned the widescreen issue. That used to be a problem for me too. But some time ago (and I do mean some time) I ran across a post from another fishie that helped me out and now it's rare for a game not to appear in full screen. I have a Toshiba satellite laptop. I run windows 7 home premium 64 bit. Here's what I did. I right clicked on my desktop. About 2/3 of the way down I clicked on " graphics options" from there I clicked on " panel fit" and selected "scale full scree" and voila-games with rare exception these days fill my wide screen. I don't know that it would work for everyone-I happened to be playing around on my mother's computer-it's an HP, and I couldn't find all of that the way I did on mine.

As for the game...I like it well enough, Graphics are crisp and well done. I like the different modes of play, achievements, etc. II may or may not buy. Someone else mentioned an MFC game coming out. Will it be an early or late birthday present to myself?

Go to: