Marciepie
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

Re:Reviews for Haunted Halls: Fears from Childhood

[Post New]by Marciepie on Nov 29, 11 9:03 AM
I stock pile my games, so I just got to this one.
I agree for the most part with what everyone said. My biggest issue with this game is that it seems the developers got ahead of themselves. They came up with something a little different with the stairs and doorways, but ran out of steam on the last two doors. Seems like they just wanted it to be over because they ran out of ideas. The last two doors took such a short amount of time and brain power it distracted from how much I enjoyed the first part.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Dec 7, 11 8:05 AM
Marciepie wrote:I stock pile my games, so I just got to this one.
I agree for the most part with what everyone said. My biggest issue with this game is that it seems the developers got ahead of themselves. They came up with something a little different with the stairs and doorways, but ran out of steam on the last two doors. Seems like they just wanted it to be over because they ran out of ideas. The last two doors took such a short amount of time and brain power it distracted from how much I enjoyed the first part.

ditto!

Liasmani
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
19,504 Posts

[Post New]by Liasmani on Dec 22, 11 7:26 AM
Fun Factor: 5 stars
Visual/Sound Quality: 5 stars
Level of Challenge: 4 stars
Average Rating: 5 stars

Pros: Highly polish visual. Excellent sound quality. Plenty of areas to explore. Variety of puzzles and mini-games.

Cons: Trekking (for those who hate it.)

(This review is based on the game's demo.)

Edited on 12/22/2011 at 7:26:38 AM PST

manxie273
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by manxie273 on Jan 23, 12 10:49 AM
Well for me this game was OK, but didn't have the same feel as the first Haunted Halls - which I enjoyed more than this one. That said, it was worth the money as a SE as I got a few hours of play out of. Graphics were clear, didn't have too many problems finding ****'s, puzzles were fairly easy. 3 out of 5.

leslie5270
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by leslie5270 on Mar 24, 12 9:46 PM
I was so disappointed! From all the great reviews I'd read I expected a really fun and interesting game. The first four vignettes are well done, pretty fun and moderately challenging. The remaining three are much less interesting and much less challenging. In many, many HOGs the last few chapters feel as though the designers had gotten tired of the game and just wanted to finish it...which is how I got to feeling about this one myself. There were way too many HOGs in the last chapters and the HOGs got ridiculous in the last, very silly, scenes. The end of the game made the mad doctor seem like a caricature; not scary in the least. I did get to save the sweetheart, but it was so silly and so easy that I didn't feel particularly satisfied. I really wish I had gotten this game on a $2.99 deal.

To be fair, I thought the graphics were very nice and the music and sound effects added to the game. With a little more thought and effort from the designers,this could have been a really good game.

oscar66
Herring
Herring
307 Posts

[Post New]by oscar66 on Mar 30, 12 7:47 PM
I also got the feeling the last couple of children were rushed along. It wasn't a bad game overall just rather rushed after the first three kids were rescued.

education69
Minnow
Minnow
238 Posts

[Post New]by education69 on Jun 19, 12 6:19 AM
Much better than the first game, however I must have missed something. I got through the entire game without seeing anything of Tim's sister other than her picture.

KimK27
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by KimK27 on Jul 17, 12 5:23 PM
Not liking this much as much as Green Hills Sanitarium. Fewer puzzles, more HO scenes and I like it the other way around better. The puzzles that are in this game seem pretty easy.
But what really bugs me is that in some of the HO scenes, there are multiple items of something on the search list, but only one of those items is the correct one. In one I just completed, I was supposed to find a hook. Fine, except the two hooks I clicked on weren't the right ones. Had to use the hint to finally get it. Also, there was an iron ball that was supposed to be found. Okay, click on what looks like it, didn't work, figured it looked sort of like a bomb without a fuse, move on. Finally had to use the hint and I was surprised to find out is was the fuseless bomb thing after all. Just didn't click on exactly the right spot on the thing, I guess. It's just frustrating.
Probably will end up deleting this game after completing in. Not one of the ones I'll play repeatedly.

tdf3k
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by tdf3k on Oct 14, 12 12:57 PM
I loved this game. It kept my interest. So many different things to do.
Does any body know another game like this? I would appreciate your input.
Thank you to the creater of this game.

WolfandMoon
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by WolfandMoon on Dec 13, 12 7:18 PM
I Love this game. I finished this game the other day and I must say this whole series is quite amazing. The story is unexpected and very original. I find the story is much as important than the game play and graphics. This game is dark, eerie and held my interest, just as much as the first game. Some may get a. The game was long and had a lot to do and see. Behind each door was something unexpected and it started right from where the first one left off. I enjoyed this entire game, and it will be worth replaying.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Dec 29, 12 6:03 AM
this was a great game, it is even better than ones before it. it was a great task to decide how to solve the puzzle. can not wait for the next one.----------doug & lisa

Seester2
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by Seester2 on Mar 20, 13 7:09 PM
Except for the creepiness (getting tired of the dark games) it was a very good game. I liked the interactive hidden object scenes. I also liked the was each chapter stood on its own, you didn't have to go from one end of the world to the other on a map. Story was interesting...mini games challenging but not too hard. Only had to use the hint a couple of times. Could have been longer, though. I give this a 6 out of 10.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jul 22, 13 5:34 AM
Dr Blackmore’s Bringing Nightmares To Life!

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
An impressively scary introduction shows a small girl awake in the night, with terrifying transformations all around her, including a really evil looking teddy bear. We feel a sense of urgency, as well as general creepiness and vulnerability, and are reminded that Dr Blackmore, with his disgusting tentacles, is still out there...

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
The technical quality of the graphics of this one are less impressive than in the first game of this series, even though they are far more interesting and creative, with surreal touches that evoke an instant emotional reaction. Again, there is voiceover only for the narrator of the introduction, but he is well done. The environmental sounds vary from mild to almost unendurable, but appropriate to the location.

WHAT’S HAPPENING
This story picks up from where we left off in the first of the series (Green Hills Sanatarium). The mad and evil Dr Blackmore has escaped us and taken that boyfriend of ours with him into some sort of portal, so now we must confront the doc of his own turf. This turns out to be a weird fragmented corridor in space. We soon discover that the doctor has kidnapped 5 children and is feeding off their fears. We must save them from their worst fears turned real, before seeking out Tim (the fool who got himself kidnapped, twice).

MAKING PROGRESS
The game is primarily about HO scenes, there are a lot of them and they are all visited twice. There is a little animation and some interaction in them, which is a nice improvement. Puzzles are a bit harder than in the first game, and I found I had to skip a number of them, although there’s nothing we haven’t seen elsewhere.

The nature of this story is purely imaginary, so that has allowed for some interesting twists in the adventure. I really enjoyed this aspect. Figuring out how to defeat some really scary monsters and rescue the children is really quite challenging. The action is broken up into self-contained chapters, so a map is not at all necessary, but we do have our electronic notebook with us, which keeps track of the story, and gives background on the fears.

FAMOUS LAST WORDS
This game’s appeal is its very simplicity, at a time when games are getting relentlessly more complex. The focus is on playing the HO scenes and finding ways around the obstacles/monsters. And that's why I like it!

I recommend this game!

Go to: