bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

Re:Reviews for Guardians of Beyond: Witchville

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Nov 17, 11 8:30 AM
I have really enjoyed the SE demo and will purchase. Interesting IHOS and different mini games which is a change from the ole "pipes", "push all buttons to match" stuff.

Yes, it is another "haunted" game, but what I don't understand is if you don't like these games, why play the demo?...it is pretty obvious what it is going to be BEFORE you subject yourself to the torture of "playing another one". Personally I enjoy them and find them all a little different from each other. Maybe you should try to develop one of these games yourself. Basically I am tired of reading reviews where players only whine about games being the same instead of what the game is really about. Stop your whining....don't play it if you don't like it the game subject.

Addition: Just finished this game and found it to be every bit as good as I thought! Some of the HOS are interactive and seem simple, but are tricky. However the HINT button recharges quickly and is a godsend in some cases to help you navigate at times. There are some of those awful Pipe type games.....but the SKIP button charges quickly and you can zoom past any games you don't want to bother with.

For once I hit a lucky streak with these games. You won't regret this one so don't let the whiners turn you away. Excellent length. Just remember to really keep you eye out!

Edited on 11/17/2011 at 3:27:52 PM PST

julie2753
Clownfish
Clownfish
542 Posts

[Post New]by julie2753 on Nov 17, 11 11:13 AM
@flossyti i also enjoyed Rhiannon that was a good one although i did keep getting lost, no sense of direction in games and real life.

xmaseve24
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by xmaseve24 on Nov 17, 11 12:06 PM
peh4psu wrote:I know everyone is getting tired of the same type of scenario in some of the games. What are your suggestions for a different type of game? Just curious.....

I like classic tales with good story lines.Graphics are important to me. One of my all time favorites is Phantom of the Opera. Good example! I dislike the clean hard lines of a "modern" scene, or as someone else mentioned, a gritty modern city scene.

How about 2001 space odyssey, 2000 leagues under the sea, Jane Eyre or even a good intrigue (not dark and spooky please.) I realize there are copyrights, but I'm thinking this "type" of story.

xmaseve24
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by xmaseve24 on Nov 17, 11 12:09 PM
gamineannie wrote:I came here looking for info on gameplay of today's release, but find only a few actual reviews in the so-called review thread. Thanks to those of you who managed to stay focused on the reason for the thread. I really appreciate your sharing your experiences, as well as some general gameplay information with us.
While I agree with many of the points presented in the many comments posts, I feel they deserve their own thread - oh, my, there is a comments thread available!

You're so right gamineannie...sorry! Got carried away, it is a subject I'm interested in.

sfcali
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by sfcali on Nov 17, 11 4:32 PM
KIW0612 wrote:The screen shots show a potentially gorgeous game - graphic wise. Unfortunately I am with the previous posters and am also soooo tired of the witch, demon, ghosts, evil, dark themes. Had we not been so overdosed on those, this may have been a buy for me. As it is, I'll wait for a better day Like, Drawn: Trail of Shadows coming out as a SE.

I don't buy a lot of hidden object/adventure games, so I'm not burnt-out on the genre. On top of that, I almost never buy "spooky" themed games. I honestly felt this one was not over the top on the spook/witch stuff at all... it played more like a Nancy Drew mystery to tell the truth.

I also like the story development in this game. I've rolled my eyes and stopped playing games like Dream Chronicles and Princess Isabella because the stories were far too corny and vapid. Witchville has some depth and I enjoyed the puzzles a lot!

roxiestar74
Minnow
Minnow
290 Posts

[Post New]by roxiestar74 on Nov 17, 11 5:18 PM
Woolster wrote:Hi Roxie Star
I have Beauty and the Beast and really enjoy it, in fact that game was the reason for coming back to . I quit for awhile because of the dark games, now I'm anxiously awating the Dark Parables Ice Queen game
Altho Beauty was a terific game I was dissappointed in the fighting the enemies, in the Bonus play. Cheers

Hi Woolster,

Glad you enjoyed Beauty and the Beast! I bought the SE, so I didn't play the bonus, sounds like I didn't miss much though. I didn't know there was another Dark Parables coming out soon. I liked Briar Rose more than I liked the Frog Prince, but I will definitely try the Ice Queen whenever it comes out. I also enjoy a good fairy tale game and hope that there are a lot more to come!

Take Care,
Roxie

divaprods
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by divaprods on Nov 18, 11 7:52 AM
peh4psu wrote:I know everyone is getting tired of the same type of scenario in some of the games. What are your suggestions for a different type of game? Just curious.....

There have been some really great games such as the Fiction Fixers, Mushroom Age, some the the Fairy Tale ones etc. I like the ones that take place in exotic locations such as the recent one in Venice. I guess I like fantasy w/out picking thru gore and ghosts/demons/etc. The talents that these developers have could be used to give us an exciting experience to take our minds out of the everyday w/out all the gore etc.
Oh and I loved the Dana Knightbridge series, hope to see more.

Edited on 11/18/2011 at 7:54:12 AM PST

tazdaffy
Narwhal
Narwhal
30,066 Posts

[Post New]by tazdaffy on Nov 18, 11 3:20 PM
Not the best HOG I have played. The sound etc. would not save so either keep redoing it or have not sound. No voice overs which for me can make the game sooooooo much better. Graphics ok.

2.5 (would have been more except for the problems & no voice overs).

Dianneamyte
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Dianneamyte on Nov 18, 11 10:24 PM
I am feeling the same as most of the other reviewers that I have been reading. Namely, that most of these games are all the same. Albeit, for the most part; they are beautifully designed and I can see that a lot of work and thought has gone into them.
When I first started playing this genre of game, I enjoyed them a lot but, these are pretty much beginner games even in the difficult modes.

I cannot speak for others but I am looking for games that are geared toward a more complex and logical way of thinking and playing. I am listing below some of the games that are an example of what I am referring to:

Syberia, games I and II
NiBiRu-Age of Secrets
The Art of Murder: Hunt for the Secret Files and Cards of Destiny
The Delaware St. John series.
Some, not all of the Nancy Drew Series

Theses are few games that I consider excellent.

I really miss these kind of games and hope that somewhere out there, there are devs who are listening to us.

Please do not consider this as a criticism of Big Fish. They are the best game site out there. The customer service is excellent as is the format they offer to us. I am just hoping that they are listening to us and maybe begin to offer some games like I have mentioned. Happy gaming fishies

Edited on 11/18/2011 at 10:28:06 PM PST

[Post New]by catsbeer2 on Nov 19, 11 6:38 AM
Not really impressed with this one....for a CE I was expecting better graphics; storyline was disjointed; too easy....wont be buying this one. sorry.....

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Nov 19, 11 10:35 AM
Not much too add. I do like this game.. and was sorry to see it end.. now will have to buy it to enjoy all of it. I do like the Vogat.. developers and graphics are always clear. I like storylines like this.. so it will be a buy for me.. Glad it's out in the SE form nowl

bahrnone
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by bahrnone on Nov 19, 11 1:30 PM
KICKI56 wrote:
FORTUNATUS wrote:
So far looks like "same ole same ole"....

Yeah, I get it that a lot of gamers are 'into' this stuff, but, MAN, am I tired of the witch, demon, ghosts, evil, dark themes..... ALL the eyeballs, skulls, spiders, bugs, snakes, slimy whatevers, and the game intro scene with the car goin off the road thing, delapitaded buildings, fire, hell and damnation. Enough all ready!

Yeesh!!!!!! Maybe I'm goin to play solitaire until things change.

I couldn't agree more. May I add... cemeteries, mental wards, evil Drs, crystals, saving the world, beings with red glowing eyes.
I am playing Fairway Solitaire, again. It's more fun.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Nov 21, 11 7:16 AM
Game is off the chain, I had many hours of fun with this game..
Happy Gaming Fishes!!!

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Nov 24, 11 8:50 AM
Bought CE

bluecat434
Clownfish
Clownfish
858 Posts

[Post New]by bluecat434 on Nov 28, 11 8:37 PM
i agree to a certain extent with other posters: i'd like to see more variation in theme than the 'old haunted mansion' one. still: i think this game is just beautiful. i love the graphics---i think they're imaginative, different, beautifully done. someone mentioned an absence of steam punk in general, but i thought there was some steam punk to go around here.

i'm not finished yet, so i can't weigh in entirely on the story---but it's looking for once as though there is no sympathy for witch burning. yay! that's a nice change of pace in my book. now if we could only get the spiritualists and the scientists together on a project...

i'm enjoying the mini-games so far, and H0 scenes seem challenging but fair. lots to do. i'm busy, therefore: content.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Dec 1, 11 9:47 PM
not the best game i have played, but not the worst either

Fifiluna614
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by Fifiluna614 on Dec 3, 11 3:05 PM

How about something with a sci-fi storyline, such as dealing with aliens on another planet or a space travel adventure? I'd buy one of those!

[Post New]by crazymomma1 on Dec 4, 11 7:04 PM
I agree with all or most of the reviews because I only read the first page. It seems like all they are offering right no are: ghostly, paranormal, and etc. I would like to see a game that you could play that would involve your mind a little more. Make you have to think and not have something appearing in your face and then disappear. I have played both of the Ravenherst and and have enjoyed them and was excited when another came out. But, again it back the same old thing. I have game credits that I want to use on a good game but I can't seem to find that game.

[Post New]by carolemoore1961 on Dec 4, 11 7:26 PM
The game didn't pull me in. The first page of reviews it seems like people are getting tired of hidden object games but that's about 95% of what I buy. This one just didn't grab me though and I am getting tired of only being able to play to a certain point and stops. I still have 21 minutes of game time left. This is a no buy for me.

reddleman
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by reddleman on Dec 12, 11 1:42 AM
It was a fantastic game but they used the same HOS for many different areas. They should have had a different HOS for each one because it wasn't a challenge finding the objects because eventually you knew where each object was. But all-in-all it was a great game. For those of you who moan, groan and complain about spooky games, I love them. Keep those kind of game developers. I play games during the witching hour and I sure don't want to play a Barbie and Ken game. Games that haunt and scare and put you at your wits end are the games they need to develope.

Go to: