Linda_S_55
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Stories: Mountains of Madness

[Post New]by Linda_S_55 on Nov 19, 11 11:37 AM
WOW what a fantastic game. I hate it when the one hour demo is over. I was so engrossed in the game and suddenly it went away. Well, this is a definite buy for me.

Linda.

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

[Post New]by pgillenw on Nov 19, 11 12:50 PM
This is a definite purchase. The 60 minute trial has peaked my interest. Nice to feel cold after a summer in Phoenix. I'm freezing!!!!

bumblebea
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by bumblebea on Nov 19, 11 1:03 PM
geniegal wrote:Well, I lasted for 20 minutes. Got through the first scene. Found a bunch of dead guys and dogs, found a strange creature frozen in ice and opened a gate. The next thing I knew I was flying off somewhere in a plane and was told by the narrator there were bizarre ruins below. And wouldn't ya know, the plane crashed?

Sorry, but this story is not making a whole lot of sense. (And my explanation is probably not making any sense either)

I think I'll pass on this.

bumblebea
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

geniegal wrote:Well, I lasted for 20 minutes. Got through the first scene. Found a bunch of dead guys and dogs, found a strange creature frozen in ice and opened a gate. The next thing I knew I was flying off somewhere in a plane and was told by the narrator there were bizarre ruins below. And wouldn't ya know, the plane crashed?

Sorry, but this story is not making a whole lot of sense. (And my explanation is probably not making any sense either)

bumblebea
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

tazdaffy
Narwhal
Narwhal
30,066 Posts

[Post New]by tazdaffy on Nov 19, 11 1:11 PM
I actually enjoyed this game. The graphics were really good. Not quite what you expect for a HOG, but different games to play a little more strategic & it was a little short on the game play. does not have a walkthrough yet but I didn't feel like I ever needed it. If you get stuck just click on the hint bar in the game.

ARETHORN
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by ARETHORN on Nov 19, 11 1:22 PM
Being a fan of H P Lovecraft have just finished the demo and really enjoyed this game.This is an adventure game with a few HOG scenes added,great graphics,sound,and the usual variety of puzzles. I am just away to purchase using one of my punch card coupons.This game and story makes more sense if you have read H P Lovecraft and are into the Lovecraft culture and myths.Another decent SE game which recently are becoming less and less.

[Post New]by corwinky on Nov 19, 11 1:43 PM
I liked this a lot. It was more an adventure game than hidden object. It was nice to be wandering around somewhere that wasn't a haunted house or an abandoned hospital! Kind of short for me - about 2.5 hours - but part of that is due to the fantastic "Advice" function. (And a hint from SeverusSnape)

The advice button is a great innovation. One press tells you what to do next ("Open the locked chest") and two presses tell you how to do it ("Use the code xxxxx to open the chest"). It just doesn't let you get stuck, which has a lot to do with the speed of the game. No endless frustrating wandering around or having to stop and search for a walkthrough. When there are pieces of objects that have to be retrieved from different places, they're all in close proximity, so there's no trekking back to the beginning of the game to find that one last shard.

This is one of the most enjoyable games I've played in a long time!

[Post New]by corwinky on Nov 19, 11 1:45 PM
darkdisciple1313 wrote:Before the review, I have this to say: why, oh why, do people who stumble upon a group of dead people always have to "see what happened to cause their deaths" in games like this?

Presumably for the same reason the Enterprise always has to explore that forbidding unknown planet. It's a sci-fi version of those famous last redneck words: "Hey, y'all, look at this!"

[Post New]by corwinky on Nov 19, 11 1:46 PM
msdawn01 wrote:i 'm stuck, on my way to city ,can't figure out the markings ?

That bogged me down too. Hit the "Advice" button twice and it'll tell you what to do.

maizijane
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by maizijane on Nov 19, 11 3:17 PM
This was a good game but much too short. I got through it in less than three hours. I like games that keep me going for a few days.

sandhan
Clownfish
Clownfish
919 Posts

[Post New]by sandhan on Nov 19, 11 3:39 PM
I am a huge Lovecraft fan, and will probably buy this because of the connection, even though I don't expect an accurate depiction of his work. How could there be? (But wouldn't it be great?) I love his stories mostly for the brilliant way he used words, which can't be shown in a game. Although, even the mention of the dreaded Necronomicon reminds me of the way the gibbous moon leered down malevolently on the gambrel roofs of Innsmouth...

[Post New]by princessbutter1 on Nov 19, 11 4:08 PM
This is a great game the kind U get so wrapped up in that when the phone ring u jump I did buy it looks like I'm starting another card oh well this game was worth,

sleeplady
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by sleeplady on Nov 19, 11 4:16 PM
This one is NOT for me. I only lasted 15 minutes.

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Nov 19, 11 4:42 PM
I started playing this game, and I've played it before. I think it may have been released, but was so complicated they had to re-do it? I remember I didn't get very far the first time I played . This time they have hints to at least tell you where to head next. You have to figure out different puzzles, but there is a skip button. You have some HOG, but they are very easy, and you have to collect multiples of objects you see. My inventory is so full, it's hard to manage.
All in all, a very experienced game player may like this. I don't care for it, it's to much work.

huntn
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
1 Posts

[Post New]by huntn on Nov 19, 11 4:53 PM
Okay, so I haven't played the game quite yet but am extremely excited to. I've been reading some of the other reviews so far and most people are complain about story and game flow. Of course it's weird and confusing! It is based off of At The Mountains of Madness by H.P. Lovecraft. He is master of mystery and horror. His stories are consistently puzzling until the end and sometimes even at that it leaves you thinking by the end. Look at the roots of the author and the original story before you start complaining. H.P. Lovecraft is one of the most brilliant writers from the 20th century. His works are always so satisfying when you finish.

Inanga
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

[Post New]by Inanga on Nov 19, 11 6:20 PM
Love it, bought it, now stuck at the dots and glyphs puzzle to open the round door. I just don't get it LOL! Can anyone help me here please?

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Nov 19, 11 7:23 PM
I love adventure games and have played them since DOS but this one may not be for me. Based on playing approx 20-30 min of demo I got bored and didn't want to continue.

1) The story is based in a cold\icy climate/atmosphere so it was blah environment. (In addition, here in NE we lost power for 4 very cold days recently and I am still trying to warm up, lol).

2) The graphics are a bit too tiny and generally muddled for my liking and sci/fi fantasy based adventures rarely appeal to me in general.

3) From the beginning it was rather unclear as to what you are supposed to do (back and forth too often, too soon in the game). I do typically enjoy doing that if the graphics are appealing but this was very bland on the eyes.

May be a good game for others who don't mind those elements in their gameplay but I'll pass until/unless DD.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Nov 19, 11 9:43 PM
FORTUNATUS wrote:
1) The story is based in a cold\icy climate/atmosphere so it was blah environment. (In addition, here in NE we lost power for 4 very cold days recently and I am still trying to warm up, lol).

I bought the game... loved the storyline and want to keep playing. BUT I totally agree. There's no reason a game has to be all blue to indicate cold/snow. Watch the movie "Christmas Vacation" to see what I mean. It's cold/snowy but there's TONS of color. It's a copout on devs part to just use blue to indicate cold/snow. Much better if they added more color/visual elements to the game.

As I said though... it's a buy. Love adventure games... would be better if there were no H0 scenes but at least there's no repeats. ETA: DANG IT!! As soon as I'm past the demo and buy the game it's just repeat H0 after repeat H0... I HATE THAT!!! Items are easy to find, has an adventure feel with back and forth between scenes so linear thinkers may not like the play style. More ihog/adventure than hog I think.

Someone else mentioned that there's no voice acting and that's true however there IS a narrator that is very reminiscent of the Transformers movies. Wonderful voice... I started over once just to listen to the intro again.

Anyway... maybe not totally CE worthy yet but it's really close... maybe the next one will add the few extras needed to push it over the edge... morphing objects... bonus play... SG (although it's not hard enough to need one... and more voice acting throughout the game. I'll be watching for more from this dev...

Edited on 11/19/2011 at 11:38:50 PM PST

giddiup101
Minnow
Minnow
282 Posts

[Post New]by giddiup101 on Nov 19, 11 10:38 PM
Inanga wrote:Love it, bought it, now stuck at the dots and glyphs puzzle to open the round door. I just don't get it LOL! Can anyone help me here please?

Set the dots according to Book of entrance (5) in your notes.

Go to: