Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

Re:Reviews for Haunted Manor: Queen of Death Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Nov 20, 11 4:26 AM
I like this game much more as the previous game, which I have already replayed last week. This is a very good game with good graphic, storyline, puzzles and hogscenes too. I don`t like that the game hasn`t a widescreen option and we can`t look on the full strategy guide and extras in the trial time. For me its anyway a buy as the CE

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 20, 11 4:30 AM

Edited on 11/20/2011 at 12:52:03 PM PST

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Nov 20, 11 4:50 AM

Edited on 11/20/2011 at 12:54:11 PM PST

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Nov 20, 11 5:41 AM
I have to agree with you. I thought maybe it was just me but reading your comments I am not alone. Your comments are right on the mark.
Top Evidence Studio has developed Haunted Manor: Lord of Mirrors, remember?
And that was a game I gave 5 stars, because of the crystal clear graphics and the thrilling story line.

And now we have this girl-twins horror story as the follow-up. Well, I have to say, this one will not get 5 stars out of 5 from me. I was horrified seeing (highlight to read) my own mother (playing the headcharacter of course) die in that carriage right before my eyes. Does a thrilling storyline have to be like this to attract players? I don't think so. And then that (highlight to read) creature stealing souls. Detestable to look at, as are all the other hellish images in this game. To me this is just overdone and unnecessary to make a game thrilling. The excitement has to be more in the structure of the storyline, in the elements of surprise. Not in horrifying images and death tokens everywhere.

So, although this game has quality, looking at the graphics, I'm really on the fence if I should pay the CE price for it. I'm not even sure if the SE price wouldn't be too much.
I just don't like it much. I even stopped the demo because I just had enough of looking at all those hellish images.

Give it 2 out of 5, just for the clearness of the graphics and the effort of making this game.

Edited on 11/20/2011 at 5:49:19 AM PST

[Post New]by willie11 on Nov 20, 11 6:00 AM

Edited on 11/20/2011 at 12:04:55 PM PST

0Jade
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by 0Jade on Nov 20, 11 6:19 AM
Um... mixed feelings on this one. Yes, there are single sparkles everywhere you need to look, and Hidden Object games. The puzzles are there as well, some fairly easy, and some harder but they did a great job of making most of them I played feel new. The music was haunting and eeries, and I even found myself rocking and humming to the HOG music - spooky. What about that haunting voice that periodically says "I am evil...." EWWW!

Basic story - twin girls, one with affliction, one without. Nanny took afflicted girl into a mine where she found a curse amulet which turned her evil. Other twin comes back home to find out what happened and help save their souls.

Not sure it it's worth the Collector's Edition price. I have found over time that with very few exceptions, I'm perfectly happy with the Standard Editions of most games.

Edited on 11/20/2011 at 6:22:50 AM PST

Sherryah
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
479 Posts

[Post New]by Sherryah on Nov 20, 11 6:32 AM
care___916 wrote:I liked this game. Good spooky looking mansion lol.

Graphics so far are absolutely clear and love the style. I am disappointed that a CE doesnt have voice and the SG should have been available in the demo.

Off to purchase. Happy game day to all

I also am disappointed that there are no voices especially in a spooky haunted house. I prefer voices and expect them in CE. For people that don't care or don't want to listen there should be option to mute voices, however Game developers don't take away the sparkles or voices, just give people options and this goes for music also. I am surprised how people have posted about sparkles insulting peoples intelligence. In my opinion people have been rude,disrespectful. I also have a right to my opinion. We agree there should be casual and expert level but insulting and thinking they are better game player than a person who appreciates extra help in a game,or someone else boasting they never look at Walkthru or SG, it would be rude of me to say what I think about people like this so I will not finish my sentence except stop insulting others! they do not have a lower caliber in game playing there money is just as good as yours! you don't want to know what I think of people who put others down! All of us play games to escape reality, have fun for a short time. I don't want to say what I think about cruel People who write insulting others just because "they can" it would be rude and insulting if I did! Why? All becuz some people appreciate the help in a game. This doesn't make them less intelligent! Its a game! Its not life! Its not a college course! Did you ever think not everyone speaks English as a 1st language? I know people that use these games to learn better English and sparkles are really appreciated by them. I have never written a message like this but it takes the fun out of reading reviews when people insult others and say things intentionally to hurt others even if names are not mentioned. Ok now I am going to download this game and will buy it, Sparkles and no voices included. Something I have noticed I am a member of other forums and people don't talk disrespectful putting others down, boasting,their questions do not go unanswered when they ask for help, I try to help others but so few do, this is why I am just a minnow in BFG pond I don't come here that often. Today I came to read reviews of the game and I just couldn't hold back my feelings any longer

Edited on 11/20/2011 at 6:34:27 AM PST

dawn_j72
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by dawn_j72 on Nov 20, 11 6:34 AM

Edited on 11/20/2011 at 12:06:41 PM PST

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Nov 20, 11 6:39 AM
I don't understand why you don't understand why some people don't like sparkles. It's like playing 'hide and seek' with everybody standing in the open instead of hiding. It's like hunting Easter baskets but they're all sitting right there on the middle of the lawn. It's like doing a crossword but all the letters but one are filled in for every word. This would have been such an excellent game with a 'no sparkle' option. We keep mentioning it because some of us don't want sparkles and won't buy a game that has them. How is the developer to know unless we tell them? I would have bought this game, in fact it's killing me not to, but I won't buy anymore games unless they have an advanced mode to turn off the sparkles. [removed by moderator]

Edited on 11/20/2011 at 12:09:13 PM PST

DoobieBear
Flounder
Flounder
2,169 Posts

[Post New]by DoobieBear on Nov 20, 11 6:41 AM
Pickles77 wrote:Well then I must be very young (at 60) and very immature then cause I just LOVED the game, it was very well done, the graphics are beautiful and love the gameplay. The sparkles don't bother me one bit, I just ignore them anyways. As for being dark, etc. the game is called Haunted Manor: Queen of Death......self-explanatory to me! You are able to view the video so if you think a game is going to offend you or that you won't like it, why even bother to download it? Simple as that...I don't very often express annoyance at some of the comments on the forum but when someone infers that only the immature or very young would like a game, it bugs me. I know were are all entitled to our opinion but there is such a thing as diplomacy towards other fishies.....so, my rant is over ....I am definitely going to buy the CE, thanks Developers and BFG for bringing this game to the Pond. Happy Gaming all!

I agree with you 100%. Especially the parts I've bolded and colored in red. Not sure why people expect to love every game that BF has available every single day but it says more about them than the game when they lump everyone that likes the game under an "immature" label.

The game isn't for everyone, no game is in my opinion. I happen to enjoy the game enough that I purchased it and that's unusual for me to do that anymore with the cookie-cutter format of so many of the games anymore.

The story is interesting to me and the sparkles aren't enough to distract me from what the goal is. I don't have my sound on so can't comment on that. The artwork is exceptional. Since it only feels like I'm halfway through the game right now, I'll come back when I'm done to give a proper review.

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Nov 20, 11 6:48 AM

Edited on 11/20/2011 at 12:58:53 PM PST

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Nov 20, 11 6:57 AM
In the part of the demo I've played - I really like the game.

The graphics and artistry are very well done. (No comment on music as I didn't have the speakers on.) The puzzles/mini-games are good...some I haven't seen before - but so far not too difficult. Regarding the H0 scenes I've encountered thus far - yes, we do have to move some objects to look under/behind them for something we may be searching for from the list and they aren't always there...but that is OK...if we found something behind everything we moved we would soon "know" that is where to look. I like H0 scenes that are "interactive" but haven't come across any of those so far (and I don't know if the game will have them).

Sparkles..yes there are many. Even when clicking on some of them, nothing really "happens" except I'm told something else may be needed or might need to be done. This gives me a bit of a "heads up" to try to find something somewhere else.

Lots of wandering around and trying to remember where I am and where I need to go...I love it!!

Overall, I would much prefer different difficulty levels for those who do/don't like sparkles and/or hints. Sometimes I do..sometimes I don't. I certainly will get this game...just not sure yet whether as CE or SE (although sometimes I'm afraid a CE won't be released as a SE!). Times are a bit hard for me now financially so I wish we'd have a really good CE no more than once a week or twice a month and some good SEs or DDs daily to use coupons on.

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Nov 20, 11 7:00 AM

Edited on 11/20/2011 at 12:59:07 PM PST

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Nov 20, 11 7:20 AM
Based on the demo, and in spite of the negative comments, this game looks to be entertaining and challenging enough. In the space of an hour or so's demo play, I have come across a myriad of objectives to accomplish and precious little in inventory. This means quite a bit to to'ing and fro'ing before acquiring new objects, and then trying to remember the location where they need to be used. So, in this case, the sparkles will be helpful to me.

The graphics are well done, and everything is bright enough to see, even though the theme is dark and evil. There are plenty of creepy crawlies for those who don't like them - spiders, snakes, bugs, rats, etc. H.O. scenes are interactive, no click penalty that I noticed. Puzzles vary from easy to difficult. No voiceovers but subtle sound effects. The music is perfect for this game; I love the haunting music of Mozart's Requiem which adds to the macabre story line!

The story is that you return to the family mansion to rescue your twin sister, who might be under the influence of a curse. There is an evil nemesis seen several times in the demo and many areas to explore. It's up to you to stop the curse and free the souls of those who were attacked. The game has 5 regular chapters and 1 bonus chapter. The bonus chapter S.G. has 12 pages, which is more than some of the chapters, so it appears to be long enough. I was close to finishing the 1st chapter the demo ended, so if each chapter is the same length (?), then this might perhaps be 5 hours or longer. Off to play.

arthurC
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

[Post New]by arthurC on Nov 20, 11 7:25 AM

Edited on 11/20/2011 at 12:15:18 PM PST

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Nov 20, 11 7:36 AM
[removed by moderator]
I just found the whole game boring.

Edited on 11/20/2011 at 12:17:55 PM PST

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Nov 20, 11 7:48 AM
After a while the sparkles seem to be less invasive, or maybe I just stopped looking.LOL!
After working 8 hours a day 5 days a week, running a home and whatever else comes along, it is nice to have a good game to play and enjoy.
As Poutoule mentioned, there are items to pick up that are not obvious.
This appears to be a good length so far.
Please dev's, I respectfully request that you include a choice of difficulty if you expect us to pay double the price of what I otherwise consider to be a "normal" priced game.
Well made game, worth trying the full demo if you can.......................

ETA. Forgive me, if some of you thought I was boasting about not using a WT or SG, unless it was absolutely necessary. It is just a fact!
There are no WT's or any help, when we beta games and that is my own personal way of playing, with as little help as possible, like back in "the old days" before WT's and especially SG's were invented! LOL!
I hope I have clarified this.

Edited on 11/20/2011 at 8:16:20 AM PST

marsute
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by marsute on Nov 20, 11 7:58 AM

Edited on 11/20/2011 at 12:59:39 PM PST

Dawspaws
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by Dawspaws on Nov 20, 11 8:25 AM

Edited on 11/20/2011 at 12:30:44 PM PST

PurrrThang
Herring
Herring
394 Posts

[Post New]by PurrrThang on Nov 20, 11 8:27 AM
The graphics are wonderful and I liked the games I found but I do agree with Cherb to please not do that beetle game with spiders. I know I had a look of distaste on my face playing the beetles but I did like it because it was something new and unusual.

I thought that the hidden object scenes were clear but unusual in that they had so many drawn items compared to the actual items. The story was interesting to me and I wouldn't mind finding out what happens.

I make notes to myself about games I test and mine included:
Test SE for DD if ever it is one.
The reason I don't plan to buy this game even as a SE is because I was unable to tell what to do next a number of times. I don't want to pay full price for a game where I have to use lots of hints or a walkthrough multiple times.

Pickles and Valdy I have to say that it has always been a pet peeve of mine that in describing their dislike of games many people use terms that are a put down to others. Hand Holding is the other one I can think of. But it doesn't bother me like it did at first. If I see those negative terms including short game I often think I better test as this game may be just right for me. We all have different talents and therefor are able to do different things and in different ways

For Example, I love trying new recipes. I suffered a brain injury and for some reason can now comprehend things better watching videos than reading recipes. Thank you to The Rachael Ray Show, The Cooking Networks and my Hubby who records things on our DVR.

Go to: