Trigger51
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Trigger51 on Nov 23, 11 6:28 AM
I have to put my 2 cents in.

I was never a big fan of H0 games to start with. Junk piles with tiny objects. Find 15 or these. Items that were not to scale, didn't fit the time period, or had nothing to do with the story. I like the PA part of an HOPA game. The H0 part was just a means to an end. But without the H0 scene, the game would be over in no time.

Large file adventures are the type I like. They last a lot longer than a few hours. But most are way off the difficulty and complexity scale, so I don't buy many of those either.

I didn't like the morphing, especially with leaves fluttering around, lightning flashes, and the rain happening at the same time. But it's just another means to an end - get the hidden object. And some of the objects were VERY small. I never used so many hints, even on the first scene. And by the way, the hint only worked on the MO scenes, not to indicate what actions to take or where to go.

There is a market here to fill the gap between a relatively short HOPA and a large file. I think that's what this game tries to fill. That's why I might buy it as SE. I liked the recent MCF games (but not the earlies ones, I don't remember why), but the jury is still out on this one.

caput
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by caput on Nov 23, 11 6:30 AM
Just finished the trial and I have a whopping headache. Loved the graphics, loved the twists and turns and mental challenges. Even loved the music and I usually lower that. But the morphing objects? A little of them goes a long way and I found myself staring so hard that my eyes ached. At the last I found myself resorting to the strategy guide to find them and what fun is that! Sorry to say it is a no buy for me.

Cazzle18
Guppy
Guppy
146 Posts

[Post New]by Cazzle18 on Nov 23, 11 6:32 AM
OMG I've been playing 5 and a half hours.....in one word FAB U LOUS!!!!!! It's insane.....difficult and frustrating in areas ........not too many cut scenes.....the hidden object games are a bit iffy tho lol (I'll be dreaming about 'morphing objects')......I love the correlation between Madame Fate and Ravenhearst....it's now making sense....Wow It is an amazing game....Welcome back Bigfish.....this is a game I'll play over and over again !!!! (unlike 13th skull lol) xxxxxxxx

[Post New]by cornardtye on Nov 23, 11 6:33 AM
I was really keen to get into this. I loved the other Ravenhearst games. However morphing objects only? No way- it's too boring . A no buy for me.

[Post New]by farfromthefar on Nov 23, 11 6:49 AM
I love it. Hunting for the morphing objects allows you to savor the amazing graphics and is a lovely change from 15 bolts. The problem solving is fun, not always your intuitive guess. I am a slow player, and I am looking forward to many days of enjoying this unique and beautiful game. The pace is relaxing but play is enthralling so I am so glad I just went ahead and bought it the moment I had decided from the demo that it would play well on my computer. Kudos Big Fish.

[Post New]by lefteyeshut on Nov 23, 11 7:06 AM
This is a really great game. I enjoyed the morphing **** scenes very clever and nicely done. the graphics are wonderful and the music fits the story line very well. This game is definitely a buy for me

ARETHORN
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by ARETHORN on Nov 23, 11 7:11 AM
Have just downloaded demo and starting playing.Stunning graphics,sound effects and probably a great story but have been totally thrown off by MORPHING graphics in HOG scenes.Sorry BFG i want to play the game solve the puzzles and enjoy the story not sit around and try and spot objects changing in the HOG scenes some which are very difficult to spot and also i found interrupted the flow of the game.So i am totally undecided wither i will purchase this game or not.Surely there must have been negative comments about the morphing graphics when the game went out for beta testing and a comprise made of some morphing mixed in with your normal object finding.What a huge disappointment as i was really looking forward to playing this game !!!!!!!!!!!.

judyglenning
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by judyglenning on Nov 23, 11 7:11 AM
I'm a big fan of MCF games but I still can't believe how great this game is. The morphing objects scenes put me off at first but I quickly got used to them and really like something different in a game.
Although I love CEs I rarely use the strategy guide. Not this time. I've been back to the guide more times than my pride would like to admit. Trying to play it without as an SE wouldn't be good for me. It's wonderfully tough. Loving the challenge.
It's a long one, don't worry about the length of the demo. I played for about 5 hours before stopping for a break and there's still a long way to go.
Thanks Big Fish for the best game ever, you've really outdone yourself this time.

arfur99
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by arfur99 on Nov 23, 11 7:21 AM
Hi Fishies.
I was fortunate to Beta this a few weeks ago and I knew then thatr this was going to be a BUY for me. Outstanding is the only way that I can describe the game. Even if I hadn't tested it I would have brought it unplayed due to the name MCF. Love all their games and this takes the lead even if I've only played the trial version. Well done to BFG for bringing this one out so soon. Its going to be one heck of a challenge for me, about 2 weeks to finish I reckon going on the size of the game.

arfur99
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by arfur99 on Nov 23, 11 7:22 AM
Hi Fishies.
I was fortunate to Beta this a few weeks ago and I knew then thatr this was going to be a BUY for me. Outstanding is the only way that I can describe the game. Even if I hadn't tested it I would have brought it unplayed due to the name MCF. Love all their games and this takes the lead even if I've only played the trial version. Well done to BFG for bringing this one out so soon. Its going to be one heck of a challenge for me, about 2 weeks to finish I reckon going on the size of the game.

mainegamer
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by mainegamer on Nov 23, 11 7:25 AM
Micha1234 wrote:I played the whole demo which for me was a lousy 30 minutes....and I'm not a fast player by any means.

The graphics are good, game works fine, have windows 7.

Have to agree with some of the other comments here about morphing objects. A couple of them in the game are fine (most I overlook anyway) but every "HOG scene"...?!?!?! Really???????
I don't have the patience to sit here and by chance look at the right part of the screen to find all of them. And some of them are rather small. Turned into a wild click fest for me after a bit. Also, I had to click on some of them more than once, wouldn't count the first time around.....

SG.....won't even go there......looks to me like they got plain lazy not adding ANY text at all.

And as someone mentioned before.....sometimes not very logical....a can opener to move a rock????

The game is not particularly spooky to me. Still waiting for that "intense psychological thriller" part.

I think it can't touch RTR and Dire Grove by a long shot.

In the end I'm enough of a sucker to buy it anyway.....go figure.......

Ditto for me! I was really worried about whether this game would download and run on my laptop, which is sometimes a real pain. Luckily, it downloaded and ran the trial version without a problem. Love the graphics, story line, humor, sound effects and music. I HATE the morphing objects!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a short attention span and also find the moving leaves and raindrops to be a real distraction. In the end, it's a buy for me, if for no other reason than to see how it all ends! BFG- I hope you're keeping track of the number of negative comments on the morphing objects- I don't want to seem them in the next installment

Tundei
Clownfish
Clownfish
653 Posts

[Post New]by Tundei on Nov 23, 11 7:38 AM
Only played the demo and I'm LOVING it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just perfect for me! Great graphics, lot to look at. Plays smooth, and full screen on my 17 " laptop. Great job !

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Nov 23, 11 7:46 AM
I was soooo looking forward to the new MCF game ALL year! I mean ALL year ...as in from last Thanksgiving day! I have to say I am mildly disappointed in this game. Only mildly but for me mildly disappointed is saying a lot. I am not experiencing the HUGE amount of giddyness that I normally experience with the release of a new MCF game.

It took me 30 minutes to play the demo and I didn't rush through it. I wouldn't say I am a fast player either. I would say I am a slow player who has played these games for a very long time and probably gotten used to how things are done in these types of games. I have enjoyed seeing more of the grounds of Ravenhearst Manor and the absolutely gorgeous graphics and the "fun" dark and eerie story of it all and playing the detective.

The morphing object scenes are an interesting departure from the usual hidden object scenes and there are no text at the bottom of the screen to tell you what you are looking for since it would be two objects and it would pretty much be feeding us pablum to have text at the bottom so I understand the reason for that. Emma's locket is over at the bottom right of the screen with the number of hidden objects left to find so that is somewhat helpful. I am finding that I need a hint about once every 3rd MOS (morphing object scene) or so which is about normal for me so that is not a problem.

Here's my beef...I LOVE Hidden object scenes and That's why I play these games. Morphing objects to ME are like sprinkles on the top of the cake. To make the WHOLE CAKE full of sprinkles is just ridiculous just because a few like the morphing objects the developers have swayed with the few. LOL! Okayyyy! LOL!

The other thing is that I don't normally complain of eye strain or migraine's with these games and I now have a migraine after playing the demo, which as I said only took me 30 minutes and I feel nauseated. I would directly associate it with the MOSOD ...YES I mean Morphing Object Scene Over Dose! I feel like barfing and I am not saying that to be mean! Please developers...take a good thing and give it in small doses...don't over load us with something like that!
Now I have to take this game that I have been looking forward to all FREAKING YEAR and play it a little at a time because it literally makes me sick! AGAIN I am not saying this to be mean because I LOVE BIG FISH GAMES AND I AM A HUGE FAN OF MCF. WAHHHHHH!!!

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Nov 23, 11 7:57 AM
MCF?... Sign me up!

Instant buy.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Nov 23, 11 8:03 AM
Don't get stressed/a migraine. Just relax - enjoy the unbelievably beautiful view in front of you and take your time.

TooOld2Play
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by TooOld2Play on Nov 23, 11 8:10 AM
I tried the demo and it seems like a terrific addition to the Ravenhearst collection. The MOS (morphing object scenes) are unique to gameplay and although I am still, as others, on the fence on this "twist", I think that someone thought outside the box on this one. Like Micha1234 I played the demo in about 30 min. Will wait for SE.

Godolfin
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by Godolfin on Nov 23, 11 8:19 AM
enigma5619 wrote:does not run smoothly
cursor continually getting stuck
double images
hope this clears up later
i love MCF
it would be a shame to miss one!

I agree. I have all the requirements for this game and I even did a big cleanup (deleted old games, defragged etc) to free up space and the game is still too choppy for me to play. If I take off the high def and play windowed it moves a little smoother but not much.

blooms
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by blooms on Nov 23, 11 8:21 AM
Unfortunately I bought before I tried. JUst was excited it was Ravenhearst....BUT I hate the morphing!!!

[Post New]by ScillyGirl5 on Nov 23, 11 8:28 AM
This is what I think sofar,and I'll keep it short and sweet:
Good ~great graphics, music, story, sense of humor,the puzzles, and I love how the previous games were integrated into this new one,such as basic layout of the area, seeing the remnants of old puzzles we solved in previous chapters,it ties up this edition nicely with the two previous ones,and gives a lovely sense of continuation of story.
Not-So-Good ~the HOGs have been changed from looking for items on a list, to looking for Morphing Objects and no list.I like MOs, but to have entire H0s scenes replaced by only MOs is a bit too much,umm,ok,it's a lot too much.So I find myself having to choose twix staring at the screen waiting and waiting to see something morph,or using a hint and it not giving me a hint,but directly pointing to the object(s). HOGs and MOs are like salt and pepper,not enough and things are bland/boring,but too much is overwhelming.

I had no trouble downloading this game,and have not encountered any technical problems. I am enjoying this game,and look forward to finding out how the story continues ~and of course I hope you'll sharpen your pencils and get started on a fourth chapter to this awesome series!

ETA:
I am about 1/2 way through the game now,and would like to add that while I still think it's abit heavy on the Morphing Object scenes,they do add a neat twist to the game!

At this point I would like to commend all of you who have created this game,it is bloomin' brilliant ~frightfully shocking,and terrifying,and explores a whole new level of horror.

Your warning that this game is not suitable for children,or those faint of heart, is well advised,and I hope those of a more temperate disposition heed it!

I am well pleased with having purchased this game:
Well done BFG!

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 4:13:02 PM PST

onelifesdream
Flounder
Flounder
2,271 Posts

[Post New]by onelifesdream on Nov 23, 11 8:32 AM
yourshannygirl wrote:I was soooo looking forward to the new MCF game ALL year! I mean ALL year ...as in from last Thanksgiving day! I have to say I am mildly disappointed in this game. Only mildly but for me mildly disappointed is saying a lot. I am not experiencing the HUGE amount of giddyness that I normally experience with the release of a new MCF game.

It took me 30 minutes to play the demo and I didn't rush through it. I wouldn't say I am a fast player either. I would say I am a slow player who has played these games for a very long time and probably gotten used to how things are done in these types of games. I have enjoyed seeing more of the grounds of Ravenhearst Manor and the absolutely gorgeous graphics and the "fun" dark and eerie story of it all and playing the detective.

The morphing object scenes are an interesting departure from the usual hidden object scenes and there are no text at the bottom of the screen to tell you what you are looking for since it would be two objects and it would pretty much be feeding us pablum to have text at the bottom so I understand the reason for that. Emma's locket is over at the bottom right of the screen with the number of hidden objects left to find so that is somewhat helpful. I am finding that I need a hint about once every 3rd MOS (morphing object scene) or so which is about normal for me so that is not a problem.

Here's my beef...I LOVE Hidden object scenes and That's why I play these games. Morphing objects to ME are like sprinkles on the top of the cake. To make the WHOLE CAKE full of sprinkles is just ridiculous just because a few like the morphing objects the developers have swayed with the few. LOL! Okayyyy! LOL!
Edited for space.

Hi Shanny! So good to see you, but so sorry the game made you ! I just have to add that I completely agree with your comment above (highlighted). Those are things that should be "in addition to". Makes me feel like a lot is lacking in the game and so far, not scary at all. I'm holding off and probably wait for the SE. Hope you feel better real soon! I know how certain games can make me sick, so I completely understand. Hope it passes very soon! ((((Shanny))))

~Dream

Go to: