CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

Re:Comments for Mystery Case Files: Escape From Ravenhearst CE

[Post New]by CasualGran on Nov 23, 11 2:27 AM
My expectations were very high so, when I saw the game announced as the TGT I immediately bought if for 2 gamecredits. And I must say, I was a bit disappointed the game didn't open full screen on my W7 system with a 24 inch monitor. I will have to adjust my screen solutions for openers...
Oh well... I have to do this for more games, so this can be overcome.

But... it appears that there are no H0 scenes. Just this looking for morphing objects Second disappointment. I like morphing objects, but than more as an extra... Well, I'm hoping the game itself is worth this change.

So far I give this CE 3 out of 5

Off to play! And then maybe I'll revieuw it later, with or without changing the number of stars.

Enjoy fishies!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 23, 11 2:30 AM
MargieB wrote:The answer to your question is in my post above. Don't want to spoil it for anyone You can PM me if you need further details.

MargieB

Sorry, can't see it. Must be blind. LOL Will PM you.

CndnPhoenix
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by CndnPhoenix on Nov 23, 11 2:58 AM
Someone said it perfectly after 13 Skulls came out: "The reason we liked Ravenhearst and Return to Ravenhearst, was because the puzzles within them were original, creative and inventive."

Bingo! Nailed it. It has been so long since I have seen a really creative puzzle.

And...
Morphing objects are not really any different than 'spot-the-difference' puzzles, except that instead of looking back and forth from one pic to the other, you stare at the middle of the screen and wait for your peripheral vision to see the change.

EDITED to say: I WAS WRONG.

I just finished this game, and have decided it is the best game I have ever played!. I wrote that stuff above, without giving it a chance. (Shame on me.)

Edited on 02/02/2012 at 12:02:22 AM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Nov 23, 11 3:02 AM

Wow! I just woke up and I see Christmas presents are here early!
Thanks, BFG!

[Post New]by belle201 on Nov 23, 11 3:05 AM
I've played it for about half an hour and I LOVE it I was very dubious about the MOS at first, but I actually like them. It's nice to see a change in the traditional hidden object format. Plus, when I get down to those last one or two morphing objects and finally spot one, I have a proud moment of 'AHA! Caught you!! Sneaky little sucker...'

New MCF...It's so hard to make myself hit the quit button so I can sleep!

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 3:07:08 AM PST

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Nov 23, 11 3:06 AM
I wish the demo was a little longer. I did not realize it would be so short. I got a really bad migraine staring at the screen for all of the MOS. Wanted to play later for a short time to see if it was really the game or just being tired but I used all my demo time up. boo hoo

Not real sure if I want a game with that many MOS, would have liked it if we had ihogs and wos.

I know alot of fishies are super happy and hope all have fun

I had a black margin all around the game? thats a new one for me.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Nov 23, 11 3:11 AM
I heard it was all morphing objects from beta players and was still hoping that it wasn't true but, apparently, it is true. I can't even drum up enough enthusiasm to download the demo. Maybe down the road if I have nothing else to play. Looking for morph objects as the main objective of a game sounds completely boring to me. Bummer.
ETA: I finally downloaded the demo to try. I just couldn't stand it. The graphics are absolutely stunning but as much as I want so badly to adore this game, waiting for objects to morph is a bit like watching paint dry. Why, oh why, did they do this to such a great series.

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 10:46:10 AM PST

silver64
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by silver64 on Nov 23, 11 3:20 AM

My download (UK) took about 10 mins and game play is without any difficulties whatsoever. Playing on a new laptop with great specs. but just in case I did all the updating recommended to play.

I have totally gone off ****'s and dont even bother to look at them any more, never mind demo. That said MCF is my weakness and I was always going to get this game as I have all the others.

The MO are a very welcome change from **** and as MargieB said be sure to check other areas for others as I found some where I least expected. And as previously said its the last 2 or 3 that are the hardest to find

The graphics are just fantastic - I have HD graphics on my machine so the whole experience is wonderful.

I am taking my time with this one, trying hard not to use the SG but I am now stuck so thought I would have a break and come to the forum to see what others think of the game so far.

Silver

cme550
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by cme550 on Nov 23, 11 3:20 AM
I love the morphing object H0 scenes! It's different! Glad the game is here already, what a pleasant surprise! I hadnt expected it until tomorrow! Bought!

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Nov 23, 11 3:21 AM
I played the demo long enough to make sure it would work on my system, and the full game is downloading now.

I'm very impressed! It does look like they've done a bang up job on this newest MCF. I'm so glad to return to Ravenhearst! It's great to see items from RTR. I admit to extreme gratification at seeing that blasted whack-a-troll lying broken in the water. Sweet revenge.

The graphics and sound are superb, haven't played with options, but I will when the entire game is up. It fills my 22" screen perfectly and everything runs smoothly. I, for one, think that the morphing scenes are a great new twist on the hidden object scene! I enjoyed it.

It will take much resolve on my part to concentrate on Thanksgiving preparations and family for a few days until I have the time to properly devote to what looks like the best MCF to date.

jboliver1999
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jboliver1999 on Nov 23, 11 3:24 AM
I just finished the demo (29 minutes) and I must say the replay value for this MCF as opposed to RTR or Madame Fate is almost nil. The "list" of items will never change because they are all morphing items rather than hidden objects. I agree with Valdy, half MOS and half HOS would have been a better choice.

The graphics are great except for my inventory list was a little cut off. When I started, my screen automatically tried to adjust but I'd have to do a little more if I bought the game.

I wish the strategy guide gave a hint to the amount of chapters in the game. I don't want to spoil the game for anyone so I'll be vague. I went to a part of the game that is not part of the demo (not in the SG) and it wouldn't give me the last morphing item. I guess I wasn't supposed to be there. Oops

LittleFish884
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,181 Posts

[Post New]by LittleFish884 on Nov 23, 11 3:28 AM
I downloaded & played the demo first, wanted to make sure it worked on my system, which it does. It is very slow to load, but the graphics are very nice, & I am not getting any jerkyness or lag.

However, after the demo, I am already bored with the morphing objects - looks like someone got a bit too excited with their new toy (morphing software that is). A regular H0G scene with a few morphing objects within the scene, would be better in my opinion - I can see this version getting tedious

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on Nov 23, 11 3:29 AM
Oh Happy Day.....................Finally it has arrived and one day before my Birthday, I will accept this as my first gift and I am happy to say, it downloaded without a hitch, no problems with cursor or gameplay. I held my breath for 30 minutes while playing, crossing fingers and toes. Its a buy for me and will keep this jewel for the week-end. Thanks so much BFG and happy gaming to all.

prchalpn
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,132 Posts

[Post New]by prchalpn on Nov 23, 11 3:32 AM
I demo'd the game first and it is beautiful and dark as i expected it to be . Had no problems with game play or cursor lag. But like govols2, I'm having trouble locating the strategy guide. It's like it's over lapping my screen too(it's a 20"). Keep clicking but can't seem to pin point it.
I've been waiting for this game and I'm not disappointed! Just from the demo, I was hooked after 5 mins. Couldn't hit the buy button fast enough.

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Nov 23, 11 3:55 AM
I can't even try it yet. I keep getting 'installation failed'. I've submitted a report but it's killing me not to be able to demo this. I almost never buy CE's but I've been holding on to 2 credits just for this one and now I can't use them. I have NEVER had any sort of trouble with any game here, why now?, why this game? It installed the DD just fine. WAAAAAAHHHHH

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Nov 23, 11 4:24 AM
The graphics are great, and even on my older pc I had no problems with the d/l or playing the game. Dark, spooky atmosphere it is all there. One can see that a lot of time and work went into this game. However, and these are just my comments, I played for 42 mins. and began to think of the line from the old Carol Burnett movie "Are we having fun yet?" Me? Not so much. Between the lightning flashes, the thunder and straining to catch a glimpse of MOs (great in moderation,but finding in great quantities IMHO is a little like watching grass grow), I have developed more than a hint of impending migraine and must stop playing now. Also one of the main reasons I buy CEs is for the integrated SG. I did not find this one really all that helpful. I still have time on the demo and will try the game with sunglasses tomorrow if possible. If that fails to help then I will be disappointed, but, it will be a no buy for me even as an SE. For those who are able to play the game I wish you the joy of the challenge.
Happy Gaming All
BK

ETA: The sunglasses helped with the flashing lights, etc, but just made it even harder to find the MOs. Playing thru a whole game with my eyes squinted is not something I want to do. I won't be playing this game even as SE.

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 11:54:57 PM PST

[Post New]by goodwinalana on Nov 23, 11 4:43 AM
[b][b] I'm so disappointed in this game .I have the other Ravenhearst but I mean no offense fishes.I love this game but to replace h og for morphing don't like it looks a lot of work went into this game but why couldn't they make it so if you want to look for the morphing objects or switch to search for items.There was another game that had this I can't remember the name to tiered.I think a lot of fishes would love that.I know I would So on that note will not be purchasing this game.Unless they change it no buy here. If other fishes like the morphing then have fun.Happy Gaming

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 4:44:51 AM PST

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Nov 23, 11 4:46 AM
Did you see the banner on TGT page: "Get a free limited-edition MCF badge pin when you purchase this game today!"

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 23, 11 4:57 AM
tj1147 wrote:Did you see the banner on TGT page: "Get a free limited-edition MCF badge pin when you purchase this game today!"

Yep, only just appeared. All those messages are very contradictive. On the main page it says you get a badge if you buy the CE, and on the main game page it says you get the badge if you buy the game today. AND there is a message in the CCC that if you buy the game within 48 hours, there will be a surprise for you - or something like that. Very confusing.

Either way, I bought it "today". LOL

AvgSpock
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,044 Posts

[Post New]by AvgSpock on Nov 23, 11 5:00 AM
Hi shagwendy,

Sorry to hear you are having such difficulties. I would be so disappointed and frustrated, too! Wish I could lend you mine to help out. Hope you can find a solution soon.

CndnPhoenix wrote:
<snipped> And...
Morphing objects are not really any different than 'spot-the-difference' puzzles, except that instead of looking back and forth from one pic to the other, you stare at the middle of the screen and wait for your peripheral vision to see the change.

Thanks CndnPhoenix,

My not being a fan of "spot the differences" might explain why I did not enjoy the MO scenes. I tried your technique out and it was a bit easier to spot them but, on the flip side of that, I felt even less immersed in the game that way. Nonetheless, I really wanted to thank you for making them a little less tedious for me.

ETF: Oops... wrong word

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 5:17:39 AM PST

Go to: