dmcof
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

Re:Reviews for Shattered Minds: Masquerade Collector's Edition

[Post New]by dmcof on Nov 27, 11 11:57 AM
Just finished the game.. SUPERB hope there is a sequel.. Really enjoyed it.

[Post New]by msfaeriedust on Nov 27, 11 12:25 PM
Finished the demo with 18 minutes left. It was fun. But it felt like it was missing something. As many said before, there is no way to play in different difficulty mode. I did like that there wasn't (so far) a lot of pointless back and forth. The puzzles were super easy and were pretty spelled out (one had a diagram drawn under it which was pretty obvious) so it sort of took any challenge out of it. The cursor felt sluggish and if you accidentally pick up an item it's hard to get rid of it to put it back in your inventory. When this comes out as a SE I might pick it up. As a CE it didn't feel worth it.

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Nov 27, 11 3:44 PM
This game gave me a headache........mostly with the HOS scenes as objects were either the wrong color and/or blended into other objects so it felt more like work than fun. A challenge, yes, but not for me. I like the games to be enjoyable, not gratting on my nerves. Also, the music was really annoying and I say that as a first because most games have music I like.

Although the graphics and story line might be ok , it is still just another monster story. And there are some collections to make, which I don't like. Achievments, also a dislike for me.

Not spending my money on this game I'm afraid. Not even a SE.

MHO

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Nov 27, 11 5:29 PM
VAST is my favorite developer. I thought for awhile they had gone out of business as I hadn't seen a game for a long time but in recent months more and more have come out. Im overly excited to know they are working on another Nightfall Mystery one as well. I LOVE this game and was waiting for MCF on MAC and so I have 2 game club credits and am seriously debating just getting this game since we were delayed. It doesnt have a difficulty of option but I have yet to see things sparkle. Its not like some games where it holds your hand, in fact it lets you explore and so far the things to do are unique. I don't normally buy CE's but it seems to be a long game or it will be for me as I never sit all the way through games anymore but spread them out over a couple days so I always feel I got my money's worth. Also in the Bonus section are word puzzles and Im a sucker for those. Im used to games not filling up the whole screen and the fact VAST catered to its MAC customers as well is a huge deal for me. Even BFG Studios couldn't cater to its MAC customers even though they always do and VAST a developer who primarily releases just on PC first was able to give something to their MAC fans, means a lot to me. At least some companies are stepping up their game. Thanks Vast! Cant wait for the new NightFall Mysteries!!!! My favorite series of ALL TIME!!!! Even over MCF because of the INCREDIBLE Plot LINE!!!! =)

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Nov 27, 11 5:30 PM
I really like this game. It plays full screen on my wide screen, graphics are good, music is good, hog scenes are interactive, mogs are scattered throughout, puzzles are fun, and so far in the demo, I have not once pulled my hair out, lol. Will buy this one tomorrow.

Just as an aside...be careful using your bank cards in public. I found an 888.08 transaction on my bank account online. It wasn't mine, but someone had used my info. It is being investigated, the transaction was cancelled, as was my card. Have to get a temporary one tomorrow at the bank to use until I get my replacement in the mail. The bank has suggested I open a second account just to use for online purchases. They noticed I buy from Amazon, Big Fish, and use Paypal a lot. Said this would prevent my household accounts from being compromised. However, I do believe this was done after I used my card to buy dinner at a local restaurant. The waiter didn't return my card in a timely manner, and the online purchase was the very next day. So be careful out there. It is very frustrating to not be able to get this game tonight...I am so ready for a good hog, lol.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 27, 11 7:14 PM
Wow, great game! I have all 4 of the others from this developer and have never been disappointed. Very nice graphics and game play, games are not difficult but take some thought, HOGs are not difficult but some items you have to "look" for, music isn't too bad. I even like the story line, although it is nothing new. I will definitely purchse this game, but I already have 3 CEs this month, along with 3 SEs, so will have to let the pond refill first. Thanks for the great reviews.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 28, 11 1:35 AM
Has anyone any comments on how long the bonus game is, and what it's like?

skr041300
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by skr041300 on Nov 28, 11 3:37 AM
Decent game, but not loving it so far. A little bored. I think the game, while well done, is too straight forward and simple. Would have preferred more of a challenge.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Nov 28, 11 4:59 AM
Valdy wrote:Has anyone any comments on how long the bonus game is, and what it's like?
It's took me more than a hour.

SoManyCrimes
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by SoManyCrimes on Nov 28, 11 5:18 AM
In brief: Same old story for this site: high quality visuals and effects; well thought out setting and atmosphere; feeble plotting and writing that make the first two points irrelevant (at least for me). I gave up after the demo.

Longer Version: The gameplay was fine, perhaps a bit lacklustre. H0 scenes were well-constructed but the puzzles were trivial to the point of being a waste of time. Still, I'm all for having a difficulty curve in a well designed game, and maybe it gets harder after the demo.

As far as I can gather from the demo, a masked stage magician, Visage, is seeking revenge on New Orleans because his act was shut down after a police investigation. He's unleashed a mysterious fog which disfigures people's faces because.... well just because, as usual.

It seems churlish to complain that the plot is nonsense, although it would be nice to see some variety, not just in atmosphere but in characterisation. The antagonists in these games always seem to be evil just because they're evil, which is about the least interesting motivation you can give a character. Still, it's lightweight fluff not meant to be taken too seriously, and I don't blame the developers for sticking with what works.

But the actual nuts-and-bolts writing, as usual, is a deal-breaker. Everyone is given the same awkwardly phrased dialogue which permeates 90% of the games on here. The voice actors struggle valiantly but they were never going to succeed. That's a translation issue, of course, but there are deeper problems here. Faux newspaper reports, a staple of these games, proclaim things like "Visage's Las Vegas show shut down after an investigation was suggested by Lucy, the police chief's daughter." That would be bad in any language. It's like they've not even attempted to copy a journalistic style. "Lucy, the police chief's daughter"?? What's her surname? What's the police chief's name? Why do they have the authority to do any of these things? Almost all of the written material in the game shows the same lack of attention to style and atmosphere.

This might all seem like furious nitpicking, but it's not. It's the exact reason why I (and several other reviewers in this thread) feel like the game hasn't grabbed us. Because it doesn't matter how much you spend on bells and whistles, cut-price writing can deflate all that carefully constructed atmosphere in an instant.

Edited on 11/28/2011 at 5:32:13 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 28, 11 7:14 AM
dobbiemijnboekje wrote:
Valdy wrote:Has anyone any comments on how long the bonus game is, and what it's like?
It's took me more than a hour.

Thanks, Dobbie. That's good to hear.
And how did you like the bonus game? Something not to be missed or not very enjoyable?

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Nov 28, 11 11:41 AM
I waited a long time for this game, since mid Oct and I must say I was slightly disappointed. Played it over 2 days and enjoyed it well enough I suppose. Technically, for me, it was faultless, and I am surprised to read that some people had glitches in theirs. I really liked the story and the characters, though I thought the graphics could have been a bit more lavish, with a name like Harlequinn.

I found the puzzles very hard though, and had to skip a lot of them, which I hate doing, but in my case, there's no choice, I'm just not puzzle-headed enough to solve puzzles of those levels.

Maybe after Escape from Ravenhearst all games are going to seem a bit tame and I shouldn't use Ravenhearst as a yardstick.

A valiant effort.

[Post New]by angelplay197575 on Nov 28, 11 1:04 PM
Im totally stuck on the card door!!!! I don't know if im doing it wrong, or if it a bug!!!! Im so frustrated....I can't get any further!!!! Help!!!!

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Nov 28, 11 1:48 PM
I have all of the other games by this developer. I like their style. Graphics are clear, music not too annoying. The voices are odd...this is New Orleans and we have just creepy voices sort of British sort of not.... Hidden objects not too hard...some have other parts they need or they are hidden hidden and you have to move or open things to get to them. The mini games are not too easy but not too hard as to be frustrating. I only used the SG a couple of times so I am not sure about the CE...I have been somewhat disappointed in bonus games overall....some are like an afterthought. I will buy the game.

tomb57
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by tomb57 on Nov 28, 11 4:52 PM
Overall a good game, great graphics, sound,play length. SG is good if you get stuck.
Fast hint and skip recharge.
I Beta'd on this and thought it would be better than it actually turned out.
I would still recommend a CE buy due to the tedious nature of some of the puzzles.
No Bonus game- too bad, that was always a plus to look forward to.
HOS were good, as well the voice overs.
There are morphers to find, that took me by surprise, had to back track to get them all, but no apparent bonus for collecting them.
Like I said a good game, but not quite outstanding.
On a scale of 1-10, I would give it an overall 7.

[Post New]by abbeycreamcat on Nov 28, 11 5:46 PM
I beta tested Shattered Minds: Masquerade way back in June and have been waiting impatiently for its' release ever since, the minute it FINALLY appeared for purchase I snapped it up!

There are already lots of posts about the storyline so I am not going there and instead would like to say what I like about gameplay style.
It is certainly not the hardest nor the easiest HOG I have played, but for me the difficulty is just right for a relaxing sit down with a coffee or two.
Maybe I am a bit dumb but I find myself stuck all too often in these kind of games and have to revert to the walkthrough - so far with this one I haven't had to do so but at the same time I don't find it so easy that it's a boring no brainer.

Since purchase a few days ago I have only been able to sit down and play for a few short bursts totalling around 1 3/4 hours so far, and unlike some games, I have found that I can leave for a time then come back to it without wondering where I am at and what the heck I am supposed to be doing next, a big plus for me!

I love a map, but in this instance I am not disappointed that there isn't one as the backtracking is not such that I wish I had packed a cut lunch to take with me.

After the beta test I was also left intrigued as to where the storyline was going. With the twists and turns so far I am not sure where it is going to end up or whether I am going to get the extra CE value for money but I really don't care - this game has hit the spot and ticks all boxes for me, it is definitely a 'must have' - well done and thank you to Vast and Big fish, must get back to the game!!

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Nov 28, 11 10:36 PM
tomb57 wrote:Overall a good game, great graphics, sound,play length. SG is good if you get stuck.
Fast hint and skip recharge.
I Beta'd on this and thought it would be better than it actually turned out.
I would still recommend a CE buy due to the tedious nature of some of the puzzles.
No Bonus game- too bad, that was always a plus to look forward to.
HOS were good, as well the voice overs.
There are morphers to find, that took me by surprise, had to back track to get them all, but no apparent bonus for collecting them.
Like I said a good game, but not quite outstanding.
On a scale of 1-10, I would give it an overall 7.

There is a bonus game....you click on the car and then play on the steering wheel. After you finish that it opens up puzzle games which is kind of exciting to me at least. I love puzzles =)

cagamenut
Guppy
Guppy
154 Posts

[Post New]by cagamenut on Nov 29, 11 10:15 PM
I am really enjoying playing this game. Vast is one of my favorite developers and this story line is just creepy enough to suit me. I love creepy Perhaps I need to become more critical of the games, but length doesn't bother me as long as I enjoy the story line and the graphics. I don't always have time to play an entire long game so a shorter game is good at times. This doesn't seem to be an extremely short game, but I can always go back and play it again in the future. I buy CE games since I like knowing 'the rest of the story'. Sometimes the SE version is rather like reading a book that is missing the last chapter. No problems with the game and the SG is well written. Puzzles haven't been extremely difficult and I'm pretty much ignoring the morphing objects unless I fall over one. Thanks Vast and BF!

katiepops
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by katiepops on Dec 1, 11 10:00 PM
It seems like a good game, the only problem I have is when you click and find something it goes back to the scene even when you have nothing else to do. That is fine when there is something else but frustrating to do the extra click all the time to get out of it.
Other than that it seems like a good game to have in SE but not a CE for me.

sheneya
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by sheneya on Dec 9, 11 5:57 AM
Not bad but not great, I like the graphics, but some of the game play is silly, for example, if you take something out of your inventory and try to use it, but it doesn't work, you can't put it back into your inventory unless you swap with something else, and you can't leave the area without putting stuff down, which means every time you don't have the right thing but you've tried something similar in case it'll work, you have to go out of the entire game before you can continue.

for the moment 2 out of 5 stars.

Go to: