XIII - Lost Identity

Re:XIII - Lost Identity

[Post New]by Coronagold on Nov 28, 11 9:06 AM
Forget the HdO thing. You don't sell HOGs with contemporary office and living room screenshots. Not anymore anyway. I don't really go for the whole goth scene but at least those games usually have the most fascinating architecture and designs.

SoManyCrimes
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by SoManyCrimes on Nov 28, 11 9:11 AM
shakeandcry wrote:What is wrong with HdO?

As a geek and a pro-writer, their copy paste trash offends me.

I think this might be what's confused cbtx (and me to a certain extent).

I can't disagree that the HdO games are poor quality. I've only played three and none of them were very good. And I don't doubt that all the complaints are justified.

But what game on here isn't a "copy-paste" job, at least in terms of plotting and design? They may not be recycling graphics, but the H0 genre is hardly a hotbed of originality. Yet it seems that the complaints elsewhere are far less vociferous.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Nov 28, 11 9:42 AM
I played the game and i enjoyed the game, Thx BF and Devs.This will be a keeper..

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Nov 28, 11 10:03 AM
I give HdO credit in that their storylines are usually somewhat of a change-of-pace and that they incorporate things that other game developers don't think of, e.g. the subway thing in the vampire game (which I happened to enjoy). Where they get bogged down is with their out-of-date game controls. If they updated them and brought them more in line with current-style game controls, they would immediately eliminate the knee-jerk "Oh, it's an HdO game - no buy!" responses they get just because people recognize their style from the screen-shots. Then the games would rise and fall on the merit of their storyline, graphics, and all the rest of the elements we normally base our opinions on.

Alpaca210
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by Alpaca210 on Nov 28, 11 10:50 AM
ok thanks molla

brewcan1
Guppy
Guppy
189 Posts

[Post New]by brewcan1 on Nov 28, 11 12:23 PM
Well,I bit the bullet and downloaded.I gave it my best effort but could only stand it for 30mins.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Nov 28, 11 3:20 PM
i think i've seen just about everything here... from the once and burned to the dutifully faithful... and while i am glad that the forums have given all of you a place to express your opinions, it disturbs me to see the rate at which the next guy thinks the last guy is 'wrong' in that opinion...

every game that comes along deserves someone to try it out and decide whether to can it or champion it, and every person here has the right to do just that... i'll admit that this particular developer is probably one of the most contentious - along with gfi/far mills - and i think it doesn't matter to them that they are the most or the least liked among developers... i truly think these folks just want to make games, and someone in marketing leaked the old adage that 'bad' publicity is still publicity...

why do i play these games? [at least as far as the free hour takes me ] sometimes it's because of the story they have chosen to pursue, as is the case here... mostly, it's because i'm looking for growth... unfortunately, the formula hasn't changed, so i haven't seen much of that... whether the game is about jack the ripper or alice in wonderland, captain nemo or bonnie and clyde, it can seem to all run together when the doldrums set in from scrolling through screens of directions how to play, limited search clues, clunky jigsaws, and the overwhelmingly lackluster feel that permeates every scene... but i keep giving them the chance to surprise me because sometimes it really IS about the story...

but sometimes it's also about presentation - and when some game can come along that picks up the tried and true missing/kidnapped loved one plus maniac divided by spooky house/deserted town equals must save the world... and deliver it with eye-popping graphics and stellar music and voice-overs that don't make a person cringe... and throw in a dash of puzzles to make the gears turn in ways one didn't think possible... it seems there is also an ad exec somewhere that says 'hey, we can charge more money for this because it's actually good'

frankly, i'd be happy for a little middle ground once in a while

vonniefaye
Herring
Herring
325 Posts

[Post New]by vonniefaye on Nov 28, 11 4:16 PM
Lasted about 10 minutes. 'nuff said.

Edited on 11/28/2011 at 4:17:18 PM PST

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Nov 28, 11 4:47 PM
cbtx wrote:My goodness----the bandwagon is large and loud!
Oh well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and mine is simply this----HdO games get a very bad and undeserved rap in the community.I think this game is clever with some interesting puzzles so I will enjoy it a lot. (And I won't be plagued with the buyer's remorse that I sometimes have had with some of the big bucks CEs that are full of hand-holding, sparkles, glitches, and messy story lines----and no, I won't name the games I'm thinking of)
But just as some devs get undeserved praise, this one gets undeserved negativity.
Just my opinion, of course.
Everyone enjoy!

I already left a review and came across your comments/review afterward and just want to say, KUDO'S I wholeheartedly agree with you!!

Agent_99
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by Agent_99 on Nov 28, 11 11:08 PM
ember89 wrote:i think i've seen just about everything here... from the once and burned to the dutifully faithful... and while i am glad that the forums have given all of you a place to express your opinions, it disturbs me to see the rate at which the next guy thinks the last guy is 'wrong' in that opinion
ember89 wrote:

(and then I Agent 99 say)Thank you ember89. I feel the same way. as this is not the reviews section and instead a (I guess) comments section, it would be nice if there were less as you say "the last guy is wrong" discussion. Everyone should be allowed to say why they dislike/like a game without expecting a backlash from others who don't necessarily agree. A little optimism about others, wouldn't go amiss

Edited for initially misquoting ember89 - my apologies! Ooops! Plus when trying to fix, clearly not as message editing capable.

Edited on 11/28/2011 at 11:47:53 PM PST

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Nov 29, 11 6:21 AM
Alpaca210 wrote:UMMM, can someone pleasetell me what a HdO game is and why they not good,, lol

it is a game producer and their games have been NO good

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Nov 29, 11 9:16 AM
I own up, I'm guilty of branding all HdO/Solilabs games as rubbish and not bothering to even trial them. So I gave this one a chance and to my surprise, I actually quite enjoyed it! While it does look somewhat dated in comparison to almost every other game offered, that didn't put me off. I quite liked the comic-book style of graphics; the story might not win the Nobel Prize for Literature but who cares anyway? It's just a game, not a thesis to earn an English degree!

The puzzle mechanics took me a while to figure out but once I got the hang of them, they were easy enough to manipulate. And at least the puzzles could be worked out and weren't totally incomprehensible (as in Escape From Ravenhearst).

I find myself feeling quite sorry for this developer. I doubt they have the resources available to make games like EFR and aren't likely to when their games are universally panned. And other devs are equally guilty of churning out the same style of games; ERS immediately comes to mind. Although their games are of a better quality, they're pretty much the same every time.

I will probably use a credit for this game; it was fun to play something that didn't make my head ache trying to figure out what on earth to do next!

SoManyCrimes
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by SoManyCrimes on Nov 29, 11 5:18 PM
angelfish106 wrote: The story might not win the Nobel Prize for Literature but who cares anyway? It's just a game, not a thesis to earn an English degree!

Actually the story (as in the plot) is from a Belgian comic book. It's been adapted many times before. So they've got something with a good pedigree to work with.

But I've seen this analogy (it's just a game, not a whatever) before and it strikes me as a little... unambitious. I don't think anyone is saying they want all the stories to be more complicated, or more thought provoking or more intellectual (whatever that would entail). They just want them to be technically better. As in have a better standard from sentence to sentence. Is that so much to ask? The translation for the first ten minutes of this was so bad that I'd be reluctant to say that the game was actually in English. I don't see how anyone could understand some of the dialogue without having to read it several times.

No-one's asking for perfection, or to have their world set alight by the prose. I'd be happy if it was just competent enough to fade into the background, instead of forcing me to stop enjoying my gaming experience to try and work out what's being said.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Nov 30, 11 2:04 AM
SoManyCrimes wrote:
angelfish106 wrote: The story might not win the Nobel Prize for Literature but who cares anyway? It's just a game, not a thesis to earn an English degree!

Actually the story (as in the plot) is from a Belgian comic book. It's been adapted many times before. So they've got something with a good pedigree to work with.

But I've seen this analogy (it's just a game, not a whatever) before and it strikes me as a little... unambitious. I don't think anyone is saying they want all the stories to be more complicated, or more thought provoking or more intellectual (whatever that would entail). They just want them to be technically better. As in have a better standard from sentence to sentence. Is that so much to ask? The translation for the first ten minutes of this was so bad that I'd be reluctant to say that the game was actually in English. I don't see how anyone could understand some of the dialogue without having to read it several times.

No-one's asking for perfection, or to have their world set alight by the prose. I'd be happy if it was just competent enough to fade into the background, instead of forcing me to stop enjoying my gaming experience to try and work out what's being said.

Whilst I take your point, I had no problems understanding the dialogue during the trial. It was perhaps trite and for the most part sounded unnatural but maybe this developer isn't English (I don't know their background). Translations into our language can be very difficult for some non-English speaking countries.

I don't expect perfection either; in fact I don't 'expect' anything from a game except to be able to play it with no technical problems. Every other aspect of the enjoyment from a game comes from the point of view of the player. This trial of this one was easy enough to play and actually quite enjoyable. If you feel the analogy was 'unambitious', well maybe it was but at my age, I don't have any ambitions

Go to: