Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Parables: Rise of the Snow Queen Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 1, 11 8:37 AM
VimsenGrr wrote:
Valdy wrote:[b]Is it just with my version of the game or do others also experience no voices at odd times? Right at the beginning when I was briefed, I didn't hear the voice. The first voice I heard was from the guide.
Then, when the children spoke to me, the started by saying "help us", and then there was no more voice-over for the rest of what they said.

So has anyone else experienced this or is it just me?

I've not had this problem. However, the voice-overs have very low volume. Even though I have the sound otherwise up high, I have to struggle to hear the voice-overes. That's really my only complaint about this game so far (I finished the demo).

If you read my follow-up posts, you will see why I (and others) weren't able to hear a lot of the voices.

Edited on 12/01/2011 at 8:40:10 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 1, 11 8:38 AM
SPOILER ALERT

CasualGran wrote:Morphing Objects? In my game I don't see morphing objects, and I'm playing in Casual Mode. Nontheless, could i be missing something?

They are very subtle in this game. The first one is in the courtyard on the left where the knight is at the top of the wall (or whatever it is), holding a sword. Look at the sword...

Edited on 12/01/2011 at 8:39:15 AM PST

bestmommat
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by bestmommat on Dec 1, 11 9:16 AM
Fantastic game!!!

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Dec 1, 11 9:23 AM
WOW! Another awesome and gorgeous game from Blue Tea

I can't really add to what has already been said. I loved it. I played in Hard mode and was worried about not being able to skip the puzzles but so far they have been fairly simple/logical (I was playing Urban Legends: The Maze) last night in bed and my goodness was that skip button used on some of THOSE puzzles

I just DON'T KNOW if I am going to go ahead and buy as a CE, that's all. My heart says YES but my head (and my Xmas budget) says WAIT!!! Will think about it. I get my usual credit next week so it may be within the realms of possibility that I just buy an extra credit then and get this lovely game. Or I might cave in tomorrow. I am safe tonight, I have to go out so can't play anyway

Based on the demo, I would easily rate this as a 4.5 game.

eta: My only gripe is the lack of morphs in Hard. I almost burst my eyes out of their sockets trying to find them at first, then got frustrated and forgot about them. Having whinged about the morph-overdose in the new Ravenhearst game, now I am bemoaning the lack of ANY in this game. WHY, Devs, WHY would you remove them in this mode?!

Edited on 12/01/2011 at 9:24:33 AM PST

knorthup
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by knorthup on Dec 1, 11 9:28 AM
knorthup wrote:Beautiful game, definitely five stars from me. Had several things to collect throughout the game, morphing objects to look out for, good map where you can "warp" to a room, lovely graphics, all the things I like. I had no problems with the voices, they all seemed to come in where they were supposed to. One of the games I will definitely buy in a CE as this is one of my favorite series. Glad it worked on my computer - I still have not bought the new Drawn or Ravenhearst games because they don't run well on my system. That was a disappointment for me as I really liked both of those series also.

Oops, my error, map does not "warp", but is still a good map, shows you where you need to go next. I still really like the game, on Chapter Four and am glad I bought it.

Edited on 12/01/2011 at 9:29:20 AM PST

dogma45
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by dogma45 on Dec 1, 11 9:44 AM
I couldn't add any thing more to what has been said by CasualGran. I bought it and am playing and totally enjoy this game!

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Dec 1, 11 9:45 AM
What a fantastic game! I got through the 2° chapter in to the demo, and I was amazed by the artistic beauty of this game! I loved the puzzle too so far, great graphics and fascinating storytale, I played other dark parables before, and I like the series a lot, so Blue tea games as well! The frog hid objct are very clear and not diffucult to find, the sound xf are awsome, and the dialogues crispy and well done, I think this game is a 5+ , but I can tell more once I 'll finish to play, but I am sure it will be among the best of the year!

midori2
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by midori2 on Dec 1, 11 9:59 AM
I bought this game immediately because I so enjoyed the first two of the series. I didn't even demo it before I purchased it, which I've never done before. Now I really wish I had, because so far I'm really disappointed. A bit too "ERS" graphics style for me. Lessons learned.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Dec 1, 11 12:09 PM
This review is on the completed game and will serve as an addemdum to my previous post.

Regular game time for me, playing in Hard Mode, with no hints, skips or strategy guide (and no morphing objects - grrrrr) was right at 5 hours. The bonus took exactly 1 hour, bringing total game time to 6.0 hours.The bonus game does honor the play mode selected for regular game play. The story in the bonus game doesn't in any way affect the regular story or it's ending.

While I was swept away with the sheer beauty of the game coupled with the music and the outstanding ambient FX, the story did not embrace me in the same manner. I didn't feel any urgency or threat or impending doom...there was just something missing - something not there - which was different for me in a Dark Parables game.

Most of the puzzles in the game were of two varieties and neither was difficult or interesting. There was also a few of the over-familiar "collections" puzzles. All of the HOS were used at least twice and in the bonus game most were used at least 3 times, as the bonus game covers a very small area.

Although I was delighted that the game had play mode options, I thought withholding morphing objects from Hard Mode players a huge oversight. Gamers love extras...especially morphing objects.

Overall, it seemed like the game had a canned or manufactured feel to it and that's a let down for me coming from my favorite developer. If it's a conscious decision on their part, so be it. I can only hope otherwise. 4 outta 5 stars.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Dec 1, 11 12:21 PM
I really enjoy this series and this is a very good edition. I really like the 3 different difficulty modes of play. The graphics are great and the voiceover's are o.k., but they put the voiceover sound's in with the music sound. I don't like this feature. I prefer my sound's to be separate, so I can turn down the music, but hear the voiceovers. This is the only negative thing I can say about this game. I will wait for the SE version to see if it's much different. But, if you are not familar with this series, be sure and try them. They are really good. Enjoy!

I rate this game: "FINE SWINE"
Great game. Bells and whistles, best, greatest, I love it.

TimeKilla
Herring
Herring
399 Posts

[Post New]by TimeKilla on Dec 1, 11 12:28 PM
Waiting on the SE, dang it! The game is too easy on easy or casual and there are no morphing objects in hard mode. I love, love, love the morphs and loathe hints and sparkles.

This game is really well done and gorgeous. I can't wait to play it but I just can't justify paying the CE cost for a game that is, for me, missing an essential part of the fun.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Dec 1, 11 1:19 PM
An absolutely beautiful game from Blue Tea Games. There are three levels to choose from and some of us really like more challenge in our games. The puzzles are relatively easy. Not a great fan of FROGS, but this one is alright. Not certain if I will purchase as a CE or not. Still working on the one from last week, which was a masterpiece.

Beadfisher
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by Beadfisher on Dec 1, 11 1:56 PM
Beautiful, nice music, but it looks cold and the weather outside is frightful. I'll wait until summer, when I want to feel cold.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Dec 1, 11 2:08 PM
Love this game. It's a FROG and always fun. I have all of the Dark Parables and this one is as good or better. Blue Tea games never dissappoints. Just got into the game and glad it's good in length. Another CE I will have to get.. I could spend all my days and nights playing games but have other things I must do. Haven't had any problems and puzzles seem to be something I can manage. Love the storyline, music and graphic's.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Dec 1, 11 2:44 PM
Wow! Awesome game. Excellent graphics, music nice, games very different and fun, game play excellent. I have the other two DP games and I loved them. This one definitely did not disappoint. I love FROG games and the occasional morphing object is a great addition as well.

Here it is December 1st and I am off to buy my second CE (one from last month). I need to pace myself! Thanks for the great reviews.

margit50
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by margit50 on Dec 1, 11 3:21 PM
played 5 minutes, will definitely buy.I love the game

Yosemite1956c
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by Yosemite1956c on Dec 1, 11 3:36 PM
I like the other two Dark Parables games but am not overly enthused with this one. It is pretty to look at but I'm finding it pretty boring. Too bad...I was looking forward to playing it.

jma0909
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by jma0909 on Dec 1, 11 3:54 PM
I am so glad to see this game! I beta tested it and have been anxiously waiting for it. It has some of the most beautiful scenes and graphics yet. Great game play. Interesting story. Off to buy!

raupenban
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by raupenban on Dec 1, 11 4:27 PM
This is an awesome game! My daughter and I love it! When purchasing a game, we choose the Mystery Case Files first, then the Dark Parables. You just can't get any better games. We buy them without first trying them, and have yet to be disappointed with any of them. Definitely worth the money for the CE.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Dec 1, 11 5:04 PM
This is a great game. Same great quality as the previous Dark Parables games. I like especially, that the game has a widescreen option (every Ce should have this option!), the graphic is pretty good and I like the storyline too. You can also choose between three different game modes. For me its a definete buy - as the CE

Go to: