dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

Re:Reviews for 9: The Dark Side Collector's Edition

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Dec 4, 11 6:40 PM
As usual, cherabtoo said it all. Very nice game, great graphics, music and game play. Very nice SG. I even liked the games. Some were a bit taxing, but nice for a change. The only thing I didn't like is the cursor. If I want the system cursor, I want the plain old arrow, not a smaller version of the game cursor. This seems to be happening in a lot of the games lately.

Not sure how far I got, but just finished in the library before my time ran out. Already bought two CEs this month, so will have to put this in the puddle for a few days. Definite buy for me. Thanks for the reviews

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Dec 4, 11 6:45 PM
darkdisciple1313 wrote:Sorry, but this must be done:

Given that this takes place in and around Prague, one would think there would be more Czechs and balances when it comes to magic. If The Descendant gets paid for this, will the Czech be in the mail? If someone from Prague has a tattoo, is it called a Czech mark? And, finally, if somebody works at the shopping center, putting money amounts on products, are they called Price Czechs?

Done now.

As for the game, I kind of liked it, but there were several things that had me rolling my eyes from second one. If the main character were really me, my first question would have been, "But what if I don't feel like being The Descendant? Maybe I have plans next Tuesday." Also, whoever cast the voice-over actors must be deaf, because the acting was not just laughable, but near-criminal. The dude playing Sir William made Forrest Gump sound like Al Pacino. The second knight...spoke in...short phrases...and took...forever to say...his few lines. I wanted to take the halberd from the nearby suit of armor and smack him with it.

Beyond that, the gameplay was what eventually sold me on the game. I loved most of the puzzles (I could have done without a certain pipe puzzle...grrrrrrrrr...but I eventually figured it out), enjoyed the hidden-object scenes and didn't mind the somewhat vague storyline. I do, however, have the same problem that others have with the lack of logic in games like this. Yes, I can see the point of using a sledgehammer to take down a wall. The same object can also be used to knock down a rusty grate, but nooooooooooo...not in this game. We are almost in the year 2012, people; the things that made text-based games more difficult do not work quite as well in ones with graphics, where more obvious choices should apply.

I'm still up in the air as to whether or not I'll buy this as a collector's edition. There's enough here that I might, unless something better comes down the pike. If I were to give it a score, I'd like to give it...not a 9, but a 7. It's good, but there's too many silly little things that keep it from being great. This IS Sir William, SIGN-ing oFF.

Enjoy!

I had a good laugh while reading some of your post, darkdisciple! Thanks for adding some humor to my day!!

[Post New]by NancySusan on Dec 5, 11 12:26 PM
Some very funny comments on this game, including darkdisciple -- I wish we had "like" buttons on the forums. Anyway, the game, well the trial of the game -- I played it in medium hard mode and agree with a lot that has been said -- good graphics, good movement (most of the time) between scenes. The story line was kind of bewildering - for a while I had no idea if I was on the side of right or not lol. I imagine we are on the side of right. As far as I could see, the hint button worked extremely well outside of the HOS, and that leaves only the SG for the minigames, which were, even using the question mark button for help, a bit difficult (I also am not a fan of pipes); rather than lose time to them I skipped a few and looked one up in the SG. The voice over actors sounded so mid-American (I have no idea if he was/they were -- the voices sounded like the same actor, actually) -- as people have said not the best acting on earth, and the evil male chuckle was tiresome after a while. I'm a singer so I almost don't care what the music is, I like music, even though right now I can't even remember the music in this game -- must have been really memorable. I liked the game, but am not sure if I would get it as a CE.

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Dec 5, 11 9:03 PM
Great game! Sure, it had it's quirks and I think everyone has mentioned them all. It is after all, only a game and one by a new developer. For a first game, I think they did a fine job and hope they take all of our comments under consideration for their next endeavor. (And release it soon!!) Very long play bonus game. I'll definitely replay this gem!!

Dialogue
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by Dialogue on Dec 5, 11 10:57 PM
I agree with the players who say this is an interesting game. The voices are a little strange and the dialogue is stilted but it is still good. I do not care for the graphics. They are clear but they are flat. Other well made games have graphics that look more three dimensional so the player feels more immersed in the game. Nevertheless the game is nice looking, the story is interesting and the game play is fun. The thing that turned me off to the game the most was the fact that the player is again in a medival castle. When I went to the Play Favorite Games web site and saw the screenshots of the game I realized that there was a lot more to the game than ancient castles. I probably would have realized this had I looked through the strategy guide.

The only other thing I did not like about the game is the looping music. Turning the music off took care of that problem.

I think this game is interesting enough for me to buy. I rate this game out of five s.

I almost forgot, I was shocked by the click penalty that popped up. It was a little frightening but I was also intrigued by it. The game is well developed. Well done Play Favorite Games.

[Post New]by PlayFavorite on Dec 6, 11 12:13 AM
Thanks much for all reviews! We will take in consideration all your thoughts about game, to make sequel even better.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Dec 6, 11 8:51 AM
Itsupikachu wrote:

Given that this takes place in and around Prague, one would think there would be more Czechs and balances when it comes to magic. If The Descendant gets paid for this, will the Czech be in the mail? If someone from Prague has a tattoo, is it called a Czech mark? And, finally, if somebody works at the shopping center, putting money amounts on products, are they called Price Czechs?

Done now.

As for the game, I kind of liked it, but there were several things that had me rolling my eyes from second one. If the main character were really me, my first question would have been, "But what if I don't feel like being The Descendant? Maybe I have plans next Tuesday." Also, whoever cast the voice-over actors must be deaf, because the acting was not just laughable, but near-criminal. The dude playing Sir William made Forrest Gump sound like Al Pacino. The second knight...spoke in...short phrases...and took...forever to say...his few lines. I wanted to take the halberd from the nearby suit of armor and smack him with it.

Beyond that, the gameplay was what eventually sold me on the game. I loved most of the puzzles (I could have done without a certain pipe puzzle...grrrrrrrrr...but I eventually figured it out), enjoyed the hidden-object scenes and didn't mind the somewhat vague storyline. I do, however, have the same problem that others have with the lack of logic in games like this. Yes, I can see the point of using a sledgehammer to take down a wall. The same object can also be used to knock down a rusty grate, but nooooooooooo...not in this game. We are almost in the year 2012, people; the things that made text-based games more difficult do not work quite as well in ones with graphics, where more obvious choices should apply.

I'm still up in the air as to whether or not I'll buy this as a collector's edition. There's enough here that I might, unless something better comes down the pike. If I were to give it a score, I'd like to give it...not a 9, but a 7. It's good, but there's too many silly little things that keep it from being great. This IS Sir William, SIGN-ing oFF.

Enjoy!

I had a good laugh while reading some of your post, darkdisciple! Thanks for adding some humor to my day!!

Me too! Loved it!

Dialogue
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by Dialogue on Dec 6, 11 12:36 PM
PlayFavorite wrote:Thanks much for all reviews! We will take in consideration all your thoughts about game, to make sequel even better.

I'll be looking for it.

celticwolf55
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by celticwolf55 on Dec 7, 11 5:24 PM
Really nice game. I have been backing away from CEs because of disappoinment with the extra content. This one really grabbed me by the throat, however, and I decided to buy. I am not in any way disappointed.
The graphics are great, the game is not linear. The cursor flowed smoothly, the **** scenes were easy enough, and it has a built in strategy guide. What I really liked was that the mini games were, at times, quite different than what we have all become accustomed to in look alike games by the dozens. I found many of them difficult enough to give up and consult the strategy guide for assistance in solving the puzzle. I say assistance because I would get a quick peek for a head start, then go ahead and finish solving on my own. Quite challenging at times, I must say. I enjoy working the old gray matter and this game was no walk in the park. It contains a few "jump out of your skin" scenes...a slight heads up for those with jumpy nerves or a heart condition. Just be aware that things jump out and scream at you on occasion.
At any rate, the game is enjoyable for both beginner and old hands. The extra content continues the story and is worth the trouble and the buy. Happy Gaming!!

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Dec 7, 11 8:02 PM
Been so, so, so busy I haven't had time to play - but this was one I bought after not even half the demo! I can't exactly put my finger on it - but just had to buy! I CAN say things like "great graphics" "cool story" (though what is it with Prague this year? lol) fun puzzles, well done H0 scenes - and of course my favorite - acheivements!! Still - it was more than that which made me shell out my 2 credits - just some insant "wow" factor for me with this game!! Now I just need some time to play...

Freka
Herring
Herring
304 Posts

[Post New]by Freka on Dec 7, 11 9:13 PM
I demo a game and buy, put on the "buy" list, or put on the "no buy" list. This one is on the "no buy" list with the comment: I'm not ready for this yet.

I enjoyed the game but found myself mostly using the SG for the next step. (Not always: when the demo ended I was in a H0 ahead of the SG.) So I know I need more practice with adventure games before tackling this one. If we have another CE sale, I'll probably buy it to go into my stack. But I am not going to spend two credits or $14 on a game for which I need this much hand-holding.

I like the game. I enjoy the different puzzles. So far, I've found the story rather intriguing.

Someone complained about not being able to use a sledgehammer on the grate. Hey, didn't you notice? You can use the crowbar on one grate, but not another grate -- where's the logic in THAT?

If you like adventure and H0Gs, I think you'll love this one.

jcsgame
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,392 Posts

[Post New]by jcsgame on Dec 8, 11 11:53 AM
A very nice and game with good, clear graphics. The Strategy Guide retains you place and I found it to be helpful on occasions. I like the fact the Collector's Edition allows for a better finish to the game. The normal ending would be just fine, but the additional is worth it (in my opinion). Hope others enjoy this game as much as I did.

pjplanner
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by pjplanner on Dec 8, 11 4:36 PM
Finally finished the game in advanced/expert/masochistic mode and I loved it!! Very long game with many hours of intriguing play and difficult, challenging puzzles - some of which took half hour to complete. I am so looking forward to more games from these devs as they have given what we have been asking for - three game play levels, great graphics, lots of mini games, puzzles, and a few hidden objects and not much hand holding. Some of the music reminded me of Elves in LOTR films and was not intrusive. Well worth the money for the CE as the bonus level actually took me 2 hours to complete although you do visit the same **** places as in the first levels. Only critisism is that some of the objects to find were in the wrong time slot - eg. screws, aeroplane, etc. that are misplaced in a medieval storyline.
Overall - a great big

lizamama
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by lizamama on Dec 8, 11 8:47 PM
i tried the demo for about 20 minutes and absolutely loved it. have been looking for a game like this since i played the drawn series. don't really know what lies ahead but i hope there no morbid dark creepy psycho scenes those kinda depresses me. now i have to decide on CE or SE (or my pocket has to)

lizamama
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by lizamama on Dec 8, 11 8:51 PM
vicalana wrote:
Itsupikachu wrote:

Done now.

Enjoy!

Me too! Loved it!

oh i love this keep it up

lizamama
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by lizamama on Dec 8, 11 8:52 PM
PlayFavorite wrote:Thanks much for all reviews! We will take in consideration all your thoughts about game, to make sequel even better.

yay sequel pleeeease

tomb57
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by tomb57 on Dec 11, 11 2:41 PM
Very nice game with great graphics, story, sound, and length of play.
CE edition well worth it for the SG, which I needed, due to the puzzles, that were a little complex here and there.
The Bonus game is a plus also.
Well worth the CE price for this game-try the demo-and You will buy it!
If I had a rating system, this would be a "9", no pun intended!

doneganart
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by doneganart on Dec 16, 11 11:16 PM
Probably one of the best HOG I have played in a long time - Not only great graphics and story but it was a very long game and well worth the money for the Collector's game.

Good Job!!!

[Post New]by cyclonetracey65 on Dec 17, 11 10:17 PM
Never written a review before, never been moved to write one before. I bought this on the basis of reviews here, I generally fill a punch card a month, so I am a regular.
I loved the fact that it had the three "difficulty" options, Casual, Advanced and Hardcore. I bit the bullet and went Hardcore!! The story is great, that graphics wonderful, and the story had good continuity, which a lot of these games don't, I find.
I loved the way the characters talk to you. And I loved the little award system as you progress through the storyline. My one minor negative, was that I thought the HOGS were a little easy.
On the other hand the puzzles were awesome, I spent almost 2 hours trying to get the 9 cogs in place, didn't use the strategy guide at all. I really enjoyed this game, more than any other I have played, I would give 9: The Dark Side a 9/10. The collectors edition is worth it for the extra puzzels alone!!

[Post New]by cyclonetracey65 on Dec 17, 11 10:24 PM
tj1147 wrote:I've been "reviewing" the "Reviews for 9:" so maybe I can post my question here...(I've not yet started the demo).

As others have mentioned the achievements, I'm wondering - if there is an achievement to be won for not using the hint button in advanced mode, do you achieve it if you play in the mode that doesn't offer hints? (Hope that makes sense!).

As soon as the DL is finished, I'm off to trial this game but feel based on the excellent previous reviews that I will be buying it!

Yes it does, I played Hardcore, no hints and I got the 2 achievements for the 2 "lesser" levels

Go to: