skr041300
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

Re:Reviews for Revenge of the Spirit: Rite of Resurrection

[Post New]by skr041300 on Dec 7, 11 1:42 PM
Great game! I love how there are a lot of different scenes and the use of inventory items is not overtly obvious or linear. The graphics are very good and the hidden object scenes are challenging, but not overly so. I played on the expert mode and the hints recharged reasonably quickly. My only hesitation is the game length. I don't want to waste a game credit on a game that I came close to finishing during the demo. Since there is no strategy guide or walkthrough I have no way of knowing how long the game is.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Dec 7, 11 1:42 PM
Finally I get to use a credit before it expires! Very nice game. Clean, clear graphics, voice overs good, music good, HOGS not difficult at all. Nice games. I liked it, I bought it. Thanks for the reviews and the nice SE.

angelfishsb
Minnow
Minnow
258 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishsb on Dec 7, 11 2:32 PM
I really like this game. I had a lot to figure out but the hint button was a big help. I had to go only once to the walkthrough, which is what I like. Also it was as long as some of the CE's I have bought and just as enjoyable. Thank you delevolpers, keep them conimg.

Edited on 12/07/2011 at 2:33:19 PM PST

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Dec 7, 11 2:38 PM
darkdisciple1313 wrote:This was just an average game for me, not something I'd spend money on, although I'm sure others will enjoy it just fine. There was nothing that caught my interest enough to want to play any further than the demo, since the storyline is similar to several that have come out lately. The gameplay and puzzles, even on the harder difficulty level, were too easy for me, which means the game would likely be too short for my taste (in point of comparison, I've recently completed another game similar to this one that took me close to 17 hours to finish, merely because the puzzles were somewhat dastardly--it's not on BFG, however, so I can't recommend it through this site, sorry).

I have to agree with others who have mentioned the complete illogical use of certain objects during the early part of the game. This has recently come back as a trend, and I wish it would stop. Gamers, in general, are a smart bunch to begin with, and with more people playing games like this one, folks tend to get insulted when they are told that they can't use one object that would work perfectly well for a certain task. Being forced to use a tool that doesn't show up until several scenes later is more than frustrating. It would be like purchasing a new washer and dryer, only to be told that you couldn't clean your clothes until you bought the proper matching knobs to use to run the dang things, only they weren't, by the way, sold at that store. Logic really needs to come back to games like this, rather than increasing the length artificially by preventing creative ways of solving problems. Too many game developers have been influenced by the Saw movie series, methinks, where Jigsaw forces characters to do things his way, or die. Real life generally doesn't work like that, so neither should computer games.

Anyway, enjoy!

You've said it! I underline every word. So come on devs, make more games again with logical gameplay! Thanks!

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Dec 7, 11 4:02 PM
Love this game... am really enjoying playing. not quite done yet, just got into the church. Thanks BF

candybrand
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by candybrand on Dec 7, 11 4:02 PM
thanks fishies for the review, i'm off to download and see if it's all you say, got a credit to use, hope i can use it on this one, be back after i play the demo to give my review

spyque
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,211 Posts

[Post New]by spyque on Dec 7, 11 4:17 PM
I wasn't too sure about this game at first, but I did the demo and the more I played the more I enjoyed it. The music wasn't really annoying, the sounds were good and the hidden objects were downright hard in some spots! My DH loves to help me now and then on hidden object scenes and HE had a rough time!
The graphics were nice for that particular setting (rainy and dismal).

Really found myself liking this game. It was enjoyable.

judyglenning
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by judyglenning on Dec 7, 11 4:46 PM
Great game. Looks like it was developed to be a CE with the extra game play at the end.
Ax in the jail cell is OK with me. If I want reality, I'll watch the news.

SoManyCrimes
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by SoManyCrimes on Dec 7, 11 5:35 PM
Not quite sure what game others were playing. I thought it was pretty horrible. I know I'm not always positive but this seemed much worse than usual.

The graphics were grainy and dated. The hidden object scenes were junkpiles, with completely random objects in them. In one interactive scene I had to find a "hedgehog pilot" who apparently "likes to fly a crop duster so needs googles and a helmet"!! How does that fit in with the theme (small town horror)? How does the main character know that that's what the hedgehog needs? And why on earth is this hedgehog pilot outside a hospital?

The game logic was, as others have noted, severely lacking. Only specific inventory items can be used in places where several would clearly work. There are puzzles to get a key AND pick the lock that the key goes to. That's not how locks work! You only need to do one of those things!

Items are in the usual random places and locations are cluttered. Passwords sewn into bike seats, wrenches in alcoves behind bricks. The initial location, a police cell, has an axe, a hangman's noose and a skeleton in it! I guess this is supposed to be storytelling, to tell me what sort of place this is, but it's so haphazard that it just seems like no thought was put into it.

The writing is clumsy, the journal is full of weird non sequiturs and the extracts from the novel which you find are excruciating, even if they're supposed to be parody. It clearly hasn't been proofread. The voice acting is some of the worst I've heard in a long time. Almost all of the main character's emphasis is wonky.

The plot is a mess, and starts with a ghost in the windscreen which causes you to swerve off the road, which is a device I'd be very happy if I never saw used in a game again.

No, game plots don't have to be realistic. But they do have to have internal consistency otherwise there's no way for the player to engage with the story. If you don't know what's possible or likely in a setting then you can't know what to expect, can't be surprised, and can't understand how to react to plot developments. So there's nothing left but to just let it wash over you and shrug. For me, that's no fun.

I almost gave up after about fifteen minutes, when I found a letter signed "adoring Adora". But I struggled on for a bit. I wish I hadn't. Sorry, but I think this has basically nothing to recommend it over countless other games on here which pull off the same theme far more competently.

Edited on 12/07/2011 at 5:53:36 PM PST

[Post New]by jailbird400 on Dec 7, 11 5:54 PM
]
Dear Big Fish,
Thank you for all you wonderful games. I love this game. I come to the pond to have relaying casual gameplay.Dont get me wrong i like mind-bending twisted getting bald spots, adentures too. But some time i just want to sit back relax and flow through a game thats not 20 hours long or at times are neverending on other sites i will not mention. So please keep them coming There are games for all of us. I visit you more often then any, because of the variety. [

Edited on 12/07/2011 at 5:56:00 PM PST

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Dec 7, 11 5:59 PM
Nice to see a (generic) game once in a while ....Like the old days ...Too many CE's , nice home grown surprise !!!

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Dec 7, 11 9:24 PM
I guess this is just an OK game. The hidden object scenes seemed crowded and grainy. This game is not unlike so many others we've had before, and others that very much better. I'm not sure I would even buy this game if it was a DD.

27heb49
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by 27heb49 on Dec 7, 11 11:29 PM
cbtx wrote:Based on the trial.

Fly Wheel Games is the developer of this one, and I don't recall any other games by them just offhand so they are new to me.

Fly Wheel Games brought us Incredible Adventures of my Mom. Sad to say, I'm one of the people who have had a glitch in this game - didn't have any trouble playing Incredible Adventures. Hmmm - will wait and see what fix the devs come up with.

[Post New]by ladybaroness33 on Dec 8, 11 1:52 AM
care___916 wrote:Off to purchase this game. The graphics were clear and sharp so far in the demo and these old eyes had no problems. Liked the creepy storyline.

Wow walkthrough is all ready up and going. Nice work BFG!!!

Happy gaming

Looking forward to what the pro reviewers think of this game.

[Post New]by ladybaroness33 on Dec 8, 11 1:55 AM
Glsd I am not only one with "old eyes"..some games r so dark I have 2 put my nose right up 2 screen.Enjoy...I shall buy when I finish 9 Dark Parables..a wiz game.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Dec 8, 11 4:39 AM
A wonderful game, thoroughly enjoyed it. It's just a shame it's so glitchy. These devs could have more sales if they fixed it. I'm wondering why BF don't tell them that. It gave me a lot of problems but I was enjoying it so much I just persevered.

twinkeeper
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by twinkeeper on Dec 8, 11 7:00 AM
I absolutely loved this game! Not too hard, not too easy!

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Dec 8, 11 9:36 AM
wow the dev's out did there selves, Keep the games coming to us DEV's this game is off the chain, Loved everything about your game..Thx BF..

debzzzzy
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by debzzzzy on Dec 8, 11 11:52 AM
Hi

debzzzzy
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by debzzzzy on Dec 8, 11 11:55 AM
hi ss didnt finish lol

Just to say i betad this seemed ages ago now, but did like the concept of the game.

Lots of glitches then but seemed as though they ironed out a lot of them. Not all though.

To buy or not to buy is another question, loads of puzzles which I like, but not sure about story line.

Graphics good, **** good too. Will finish demo and make my mind up then.

Deb

Go to: