Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Reviews for Fear for Sale: Sunnyvale Story Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 8, 11 12:25 PM
dancemom1 wrote:Again, the only complaint I have is that when you click off the custom cursor, you actually go back to the standard arrow and not a smaller version of the custom cursor. I know, small and silly complaint, but the standard cursor takes up much less space when you are looking for something, or trying to click on a particular object.

I often get the standard arrow when I click the system cursor, but more often than not the system cursor also changes when I hover over different areas. In this case, the system cursor only changes in certain places but not others, so I preferred the custom cursor, although it is rather huge. *sigh*

Anyway... bought the game. I blame Lady_Cav.

Mimisix
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by Mimisix on Dec 8, 11 1:07 PM
I bought this game after trying the demo and now very sorry I wasted the money. This is not CE worthy as far as I'm concerned. Same ole, same ole, and rather boring. Unnecessarily running back and forth just to extend the length of the game. I have the first Fear for Sale and thought it was so much better than this tripe. I have played the first one a few times but doubt that I will waste my time replaying this one.

I guess the only good thing I can say is that the music just played in the background and I didn't even notice it. Also, I do like interactive hidden scenes and a few of these were cleverly done.

The character acting was soooooooo smaltzy and just funny. Oh well, another good intention of mine (don't buy so many CE's) shot to hell.

Enjoy for those of you that like it.

Forgot to add one thing. It did draw me in with the demo but I now think that was the best part of the game. Kinda like seeing movie previews and then go see the movie only to find out the previews were the best part of the movie.

Edited on 12/08/2011 at 1:08:59 PM PST

Chexmixmonet
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,816 Posts

[Post New]by Chexmixmonet on Dec 8, 11 2:54 PM
meh

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Dec 8, 11 3:08 PM
This is a really good game - the graphic is really great and the game has a widescreen option! Storyline is also interesting. For me its a buy - but probably this time as the SE

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Dec 8, 11 3:11 PM
Finished the game! Good game, but not worth the CE price. Of course that's strictly my private opinion. Also about all that to-ing and fro-ing to search things together. Rather tedious in the long run.

The voice-overs were well done, but the characters shouldn't have been making the same moves over and over. I made them look like wood.

The length was OK, the H0 scenes though became more and more junkpiles you had to search more than once.

All in all, a good game for the SE price or a game-coupon.

3 out of 5

ARETHORN
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by ARETHORN on Dec 8, 11 3:35 PM
I agree with some of the other posts as i flew through the demo and thought the HOG scenes and puzzles pretty easy for an experienced player even on advanced mode.Still it looked an interesting game with nice graphics,music and a story that could develop.Not sure if it is worth paying a CE price for after reading comments on length.Will have to think about this one but will probably wait on the SE version coming out.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Dec 8, 11 3:38 PM
Well what to think.. some fishes love it and some don't. I can't say it's a bad game and rather like it.. Not all of us are expert gamers and like to have graphics that are clear and puzzles you are able to solve. I hate to admit but don't like it when I have to use hints to be able to finish games. It would be nice if all games were to everybody's liking but that's the way life is.. I liked the story of a house, instead of a ghostly figure or evil one to be the one that is causing disappearing. Who knows what is causing all this? Games should have different levels for people and the ones that are expects shouldn't try the easy way and then complain.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Dec 8, 11 5:05 PM

Whoa..... I WISH I had saved my credits instead of buying the last same ole monster mishmash recently. THIS IS A DEFINITE BUY for me!!! Guess I may have to lay out the hard, cold cash for this one, lol. Graphics, music, characters, storyline ++++.

Finally a spooky game that doesn't take itself TOO seriously and is fun, entertaining and eerie all at the same time.

Kudos to the developers!! YAY, PAR ~T

Edited on 12/08/2011 at 5:17:12 PM PST

XtreemNorth
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by XtreemNorth on Dec 8, 11 6:17 PM
For me, this game has it all. I dont expect hidden object games to be english literature, so any grammer or misspelled words is the least of my expectations. This is a really good HOG game with lots of adventure. Right off the bat it grabs your attention. I am able to spend more time playing the game than the strategy guide. The last MCF game had all the graphics I love, except it was hard, this game is really enjoyable. The characters are life like, the mini games are not bad at all, I am able to do them, usualy have to hit the skip button often. The hidden objects are nice size, I dont have to squint my eyes to find them. Lots of different places to check out and things to do in this game, just a nice variety.
I am one who loves games that are spooky and on the dark side. I have tried others dont need to mention names, but for some reason I get annoyed with fairies and things along that line. This game brings me pleasure on the darker/suspensful side.
Its nice to have choices of games and to demo before you buy. I really apprecaite that, if you dont like it, don't buy it. These games bring entertainment that I normaly wouldn't have. The biggest plus, is that I am entertained without anyone being here with me. Thanks for a great game, I think its even better than the last one. Off to go play some more. Great way to start the holidays.

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Dec 8, 11 6:34 PM
I like this game. The scenes are bright enough to see objects. The hidden objects are not a dark junk pile, but still a challenge to find. The hint button is helpful if you are not sure where to go next. I just wish the help button would recharge a little more quickly. The puzzles are good, just takes time to figure them out. There is a variety, of course the usual figure the door lock problem. When you return to a scene as someone has already said, the objects you found previously are back, don't like that.

This isn't the best game I've ever played, but it is enjoyable.

The only question is, do I want to spend $14.00 on a game or wait for the SE to come out.

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Dec 8, 11 9:51 PM
tj1147 wrote:
BearKat wrote:
The one thing I DON'T LIKE is the fact that the extras(wallpapers, screen savers,musical score and concept art) are not available during gameplay. I totally understand keeping the bonus play under lock and key, but, I like to enjoy these things WHILE I am playing the game. It adds to the total feel for the game. This is, however a personal preference and while annoying did not keep from purchasing the game. Just lessens my overall enjoyment of it.

I am curious...how do you use the wallpaper, screen savers, etc during game play? I've read other people post regarding this but I've never tried it and really don't know how. Too, how does it add to game play? I'm not trying to be difficult...I truly would like to know. Thanks for your help!!

tj

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but, I am just now getting back on line today.
I enjoy picking out one of the wallpapers to use as a desktop while playing a game and then changing it if there are several I like. Sometimes I use the screensavers, sometimes not. Depending on which shots from a game are used. I enjoy looking at the concept art during the game and comparing it to the finished product. I like to listen to the score and seeing what they named the music for each scene. While all of this can be done AFTER you finish a game, I like to do it while I am actually playing the game. I pay for it and some Devs make it available from the beginning.If one can do it, I fail to see why all can't. Like I said it is a personal preference. I prefer to do it while playing the game for the first time as I seldom play a game over right after I complete it. If it is available from the beginning it is easier to look at the concept art and compare. BK

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 9, 11 1:14 AM
XtreemNorth wrote:For me, this game has it all. I dont expect hidden object games to be english literature, so any grammer or misspelled words is the least of my expectations. This is a really good HOG game with lots of adventure. Right off the bat it grabs your attention. I am able to spend more time playing the game than the strategy guide. The last MCF game had all the graphics I love, except it was hard, this game is really enjoyable. The characters are life like, the mini games are not bad at all, I am able to do them, usualy have to hit the skip button often. The hidden objects are nice size, I dont have to squint my eyes to find them. Lots of different places to check out and things to do in this game, just a nice variety.
I am one who loves games that are spooky and on the dark side. I have tried others dont need to mention names, but for some reason I get annoyed with fairies and things along that line. This game brings me pleasure on the darker/suspensful side.
Its nice to have choices of games and to demo before you buy. I really apprecaite that, if you dont like it, don't buy it. These games bring entertainment that I normaly wouldn't have. The biggest plus, is that I am entertained without anyone being here with me. Thanks for a great game, I think its even better than the last one. Off to go play some more. Great way to start the holidays.

Totally agree with you, XtreemNorth.

And since I am not into mind-bending and really difficult puzzles, I am really pleased they are as easy as they are. I like not having to skip a puzzle, and I don't like spending an eternity on trying to figure out how to do a puzzle either. So this game - with its easy puzzles is just up my street.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Dec 9, 11 5:58 AM
Wow, what a great game! I just finished the game and played for hours. Great story!
Puzzles and HOS are very good.

Thanks BF and developers!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 9, 11 6:47 AM
Lady_Cav wrote:The bonus story is just as interesting, if not more so, than the game's story!

I have now finished the game, and agree with Lady_Cav: the bonus game is very interesting, and fun to play. I was not disappointed.

However, although I thoroughly enjoyed the main game as well, I was rather surprised by the very sudden ending of it. I felt as if something was missing, as if I should have done something else before, well... whatever happend at the end (won't say what so as not to spoil it).

But aside the sudden ending, this was a very nice game!

crowtrobot
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by crowtrobot on Dec 9, 11 1:37 PM
Chexmixmonet wrote:meh

Ditto.

The "house kidnapping" idea would have been good if the graphics had been spookier, but the graphics were a yawn. The game did drawn me in at all. I found I just didn't care. I will say one good thing: you can turn off the voices!

I liked the first "Fear For Sale" game but with this game I don't even know if I would buy it as a DD.

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Dec 10, 11 9:47 AM
I have read many other reviews....my opinion the games was rather enjoyable. Some complained the length was short & even finished in an hour??? What? That is impossible....this took me at least a total of 4 hours or more...the bonus content was decent too & played very well into the story line. I like this CE very much & was very pleased....

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Dec 10, 11 9:56 AM
darkdisciple1313 wrote:I agree...meh.

It's not bad, but not worth the collector's edition price. I just couldn't get past the whole "haunted house that eats people" silliness to enjoy the game beyond the demo. I mean, really, what's next--a haunted car that assaults young girls (oh, wait, that was a really bad 80s movie)? A demonic garbage disposal that terrorizes cats? An evil garage that grinds up and spits out Yugos? Oy vey, already. I kept expecting a bad Eric Clapton impersonator to pop up in the background, singing the spoof song "I Ate the Sheriff (But I Did Not Eat the Deputy)."

Anyway, as with so, so many collector's editions that were released this year, there was nothing I saw amazing, wondrous or spectacular that would keep me interested enough to spend money for the whole shebang. Perhaps as a daily deal, or maybe when it comes out as a standard edition and I have a token to waste, I'll get this one. Otherwise...nah.

I LOVE your comments darkdisciple. They are actually more fun than the games in question. BTW I love Eric Clapton. But you certainly have a way with words.

The rest of y'all, enjoy!

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Dec 10, 11 9:59 AM
Sorry - didn't realise there wasn't any room. I LOVE your reviews, darkdisciple. I also love Eric Clapton.

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Dec 10, 11 11:14 AM
Based on the demo, I like this game, quite a lot, a thriller with a twist of paranormal, which is helpful, in this case, better say for this "cold case" investigation!
Th graphics are very good, and the story is intriguing enough to want you keep playing, after all, someone innocent has paid for something he didn't commit, and I hate that, so I want to catch the real responsabile, and this game is what is about.
I solved with no problems the puzzles so far, and didn't look at the strategy guide, up to now, anyway I l enjoy to play something diffirent from the usual evil/monster, spooky deadly magic ritual,,and so on...., to me it's a buy, but I don't feel yet to rate this game,,,, later on...!

[Post New]by shawnagong on Dec 10, 11 6:16 PM
I am pretty upset, I like to look at the reviews and get an idea of the quality, challenge and length of a game before I commit to buying it as a CE. The only time I havent done that is when it is part of a series that I already enjoy.
I read several reviews that said this game was at least 4 hours, it took me maybe 3 (including the bonus) and I think I represent the average player. I am not a beginner but certainly not an expert.

I liked the game but was really surprised at the ending (before the bonus chapter) It seems like it kind of just ended, without feeling a sense of tying up any loose ends.
The art work was good and I appreciate the mini puzzles, but otherwise I would say this would've been fine as an SE, if they can tie up the ending better, that is.

Go to: