cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

Re:Reviews for House of 1000 Doors: Family Secret Collector's Edition

[Post New]by cbtx on Dec 22, 11 10:18 AM
sassylassie wrote:
cbtx wrote:Well, CG, you are correct that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and in this particular case we are certainly at opposite ends of the spectrum.
I simply feel that when compared to many of the recent CEs that have been offered this game absolutely does not measure up. And that WS issue is huge for me when it comes to CE money. (Removing the WS x option shrank mine) If other devs can provide that option so can they all.
But I'm very happy that you like the game.

Did you try adjusting your Resolution? I have a 22 inch wide screen monitor and I have a full screen. Did you maybe think it's YOUR monitor? There is a recommendation on my monitor's res screen to set the res to that res. It doesn't seem to be a problem on anyone else's monitor. I agree with CasualGran a thousand percent. I don't normally buy CE's anymore but this one is a must have, and I bought it. The graphics are downright gorgeous. The one's who made this game is one of the top game makers out there.

Sorry, but the issue is not my monitor, but one of programming by the devs---this is straight from the good people at BF Customer Service.
A careful perusal of the various threads of the various games will clearly show that this WS issue is far more prevalent than you might think--check Valdy's comment in this thread , for example.

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Dec 22, 11 10:23 AM
Well CBTX, If it's so much a programming issue, how come most of us with wide screen monitors aren't having a problem? My game is running beautifully and I have a 22'' wide screen and I didn't have to adjust my resolution at all. And on tech reports on this thread I didn't see one with a monitor issue. If it was a programming issue, it would make sense that we all would have the same problem. About your PM's I don't know.

Edited on 12/22/2011 at 10:25:37 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Dec 22, 11 10:24 AM
Sheerija wrote:I was wrong to be sceptical about this game. It is a beautifully developed piece of work that took me 7 hours to complete, and I am an average speed player, not a slow one.

Every aspect of it has been honed to perfection so that it glides and flows wonderfully. Especially appreciated the navigation, after playing Bluebeard's Castle, where navigation was a nightmare.

I think everyone would agree that this is a true CE and real value for money.

Brilliant job, devs. You really know your stuff.

Couldn't disagree more---I look at the other recently released CEs and stacked up to some of them (for example, Ravenhurst) this one absolutely doesn't measure up-simply is not CE quality at all so no CE money here.

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Dec 22, 11 10:30 AM
I like Gran I disagree with you too, CBTX. This game is top notch and very much so worth a CE title. It seems to me a lot more love this game than EFR. I thought EFR was a terrible game and so did many others. More people are liking this one than EFR.

Edited on 12/22/2011 at 10:30:43 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Dec 22, 11 10:31 AM
sassylassie wrote:Well CBTX, If it's so much a programming issue, how come most of us with wide screen monitors aren't having a problem? My game is running beautifully and I have a 22'' wide screen and I didn't have to adjust my resolution at all. And on tech reports on this thread I didn't see one with a monitor issue. About your PM's I don't know.

The problem is much more prevalent in laptops such as Valdy and I both have. BF Customer Service could answer your query more easily than I can, but they have told me on several occasions that it is absolutely a programming issue. And you would need to check far more threads than this one.
Again, common sense says that if SOME games can be progammed to run correctly via aspect correction, them they ALL can be programmed to do so.
I'm very happy you are enjoying the game and delighted that it works for you!

[Post New]by margheritabella on Dec 22, 11 10:34 AM
Beautiful game!

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Dec 22, 11 10:39 AM
sassylassie wrote:I like Gran I disagree with you too, CBTX. This game is top notch and very much so worth a CE title. It seems to me a lot more love this game than EFR. I thought EFR was a terrible game and so did many others. More people are liking this one than EFR.

It will certainly be interesting to see how long it takes this game to overtake Ravenhurst's number 1 spot in the BFG list of top downloads. I thought EFR was outstanding. But we'll see. In the meantime, I'm so glad you are enjoying this one.

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Dec 22, 11 10:49 AM
cbtx wrote:
sassylassie wrote:I like Gran I disagree with you too, CBTX. This game is top notch and very much so worth a CE title. It seems to me a lot more love this game than EFR. I thought EFR was a terrible game and so did many others. More people are liking this one than EFR.

It will certainly be interesting to see how long it takes this game to overtake Ravenhurst's number 1 spot in the BFG list of top downloads. I thought EFR was outstanding. But we'll see. In the meantime, I'm so glad you are enjoying this one.

Gee, I wonder why Ravenhurst (being a BFG made game) was in the number one spot in the BFG's list of top downloads. You wouldn't think BFG is a little could be a little one sided in that aspect do you? Try putting this game on a global list and see how it would rate.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 22, 11 10:59 AM
I think it's time for a...

GROUP HUG, EVERYONE !!

(((HUGGLES)))

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Dec 22, 11 11:04 AM
sassylassie wrote:
cbtx wrote:

Gee, I wonder why Ravenhurst (being a BFG made game) was in the number one spot in the BFG's list of top downloads. You wouldn't think BFG is a little could be a little one sided in that aspect do you? Try putting this game on a global list and see how it would rate.

No, I do not think BFG would flat out fib about such a thing as several of their games never made it very high on the d/l list just as I do not think they are advising me incorrectly on the WS issue. I trust BFG to be completely honest and fair about virtually every gaming issue, and so sorry to see that you don't appear to. But we are getting too far off topic I think so let's just leave it that you love the game and me-not so much.
Enjoy!

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Dec 22, 11 11:06 AM
Valdy wrote:I think it's time for a...

GROUP HUG, EVERYONE !!

(((HUGGLES)))

Thanks, Valdy---I agree.

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Dec 22, 11 11:41 AM
CBTX would not be one I would group hug with trust me.

dogmama
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,998 Posts

[Post New]by dogmama on Dec 22, 11 12:35 PM
I dl'd the game to both my desktop (24 in) and laptop (17 in). Both play at full screen. I'm not sure it's a game problem as much as it might have something to do with a person's video card.

Finding the game quite fun and challenging as I try not to look at the SG .

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Dec 22, 11 12:42 PM
I have a 23" monitor (desktop) and as Cbtx mentioned, this game shrinks the playing area if I select the widescreen option. Fullscreen gives me black bars down the sides. Selecting both full and wide together shrinks it even further.

Is it my monitor? Several games play in widescreen (Pioneer Lands, Beauty and the Beast, 9:The Dark Side to name a few) but most don't. Whilst it could well be a programming issue, I'm more inclined to think that my graphics card simply prevents some games from displaying widescreen. Changing resolutions, as someone suggested, doesn't help. So either I miss out on many good games because of the black bars down the sides or I live with them. I choose to live with them

This game does look very 'CE-worthy'; I'm off to give it my full attention (complete with black bars!) and hopefully treat myself to a really good CE.

Happy Christmas everyone

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Dec 22, 11 1:04 PM
angelfish106 wrote:I have a 23" monitor (desktop) and as Cbtx mentioned, this game shrinks the playing area if I select the widescreen option. Fullscreen gives me black bars down the sides. Selecting both full and wide together shrinks it even further.

Is it my monitor? Several games play in widescreen (Pioneer Lands, Beauty and the Beast, 9:The Dark Side to name a few) but most don't. Whilst it could well be a programming issue, I'm more inclined to think that my graphics card simply prevents some games from displaying widescreen. Changing resolutions, as someone suggested, doesn't help. So either I miss out on many good games because of the black bars down the sides or I live with them. I choose to live with them

This game does look very 'CE-worthy'; I'm off to give it my full attention (complete with black bars!) and hopefully treat myself to a really good CE.

Happy Christmas everyone

I asked Customer Service that very thing (graphics card) and they indicated that some devs simply don't take the extra programmng step as to aspect ratio that causes the problem we have. The good news is that more and more devs are coming around to making the necessary changes--this just isn't one of them.
You have a wonderful holiday, too.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Dec 22, 11 1:15 PM
Nissiah wrote:Warning for those who avoid occult themes

This game is chocked full of it

Too bad developers cannot do ghost stories without it

[saving for saturday's CE]

Thank you, Nissiah, for mentioning the occult content. It lets me know that this is a game I would not feel comfortable with. I am in full agreement with you. I, too, wish developers would make a few good mystery games without any satanic or occult themes. Sadly, I have to say for this one.

staciepie27
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by staciepie27 on Dec 22, 11 1:44 PM
Hi everyone

After playing the trial, and then buying straight after, I have say that this game is a pleasant surprise, and I really enjoyed playing it. It has all of the hallmarks that we expect from CE games: beautiful graphics and music, great cutscenes and voiceovers, and interesting HOG scenes and puzzles. I played in hard mode ( long hint charge, no sparkles except for HOG scenes) off and on for most of the day, and finally finished after about 7 hours, so it is definitely long enough to warrant CE price, but I can see how it will not appeal to everyone.

There is ALOT of running around, I mean ALOT. You go from room to room and from one section to another most of the time, so you have to keep track of where you have gone and where to go next. There are alot of inventory items to use, and some are picked up and not used for awhile, while others are picked up and used more than once ( which I liked). The HOG scenes are not junkpile, and interactive, which is nice. The puzzles are varied, but there are too many key ones in my opinion. I also really loved the story although we have definitely seen a version of it before, but it was unique enough to keep me interested. But I can see how some people would think it is the same old-same old.

All in all, a very good effort CE game, there have been many worse than this offered here, some of which I own, but I buy alot of CE's so I try to be selective and let my opinion of the game rest on what the demo has to show me. So, for the most part, I have not been sorry that I purchased a CE game here. However, that said, there are some questionable elements within the game that may turn some gamers off for sure, occult themes and death, but nothing as questionable as some other games we have seen on here at all.

My grades:

Special Features( voiceovers, cutscenes): A
Graphics: A
Music: A
Gameplay: A
Puzzles: B+
HOG scenes: A( they can be hard)
Mode of play( hard mode) - B+( very good and challenging)
Game Issues: none
Overall grade: A

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 22, 11 2:06 PM
staciepie27 wrote:There is ALOT of running around, I mean ALOT. You go from room to room and from one section to another most of the time, so you have to keep track of where you have gone and where to go next.

You do realise that there is a map, which shows you where things need to be done, and you can use it to jump to the different rooms? Unless, this option is actually not available in hard mode.
I play the easy mode, and I find it very helpful when I am stuck that I can just open the map, check where I need to do something, and then jump to that room.

bfgHondo
Manatee
Manatee
3,712 Posts

[Post New]by bfgHondo on Dec 22, 11 2:43 PM
Hi fishies,

I just wanted to remind everyone that this thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you were looking to discuss certain aspects of this game with other players, please feel free to join in on the conversation already in progress over in the 'Comments' thread.

Finally, if you're experiencing any technical issues with this game, please let us know by posting in the 'Tech Issues' thread and by contacting Tech Support.

Thanks!

-bfgHondo

Edited on 12/22/2011 at 2:44:02 PM PST

[Post New]by Kellykay46 on Dec 22, 11 3:22 PM
Love this game!!

Go to: