Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for "Haunted Manor: Queen of Death"

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Mar 22, 12 3:13 AM
Nicely made game typical of its genre with lots of creepiness and the usual "rescue your family's souls from the evil one" theme.

I found some of the hidden object scenes perplexing at first, because when interacting with items, the objects revealed were not always items that needed to be found (at least not the first time around).

Also, whilst it starts out as more of an adventure game with the occasional H0 scene, by the end you need to find 12 items, each of which is contained within a hidden object scene. This means you had to play 12 hidden object scenes one after the other with nothing else in between. This got a bit much for me and by item 7 or 8 I was clicking indiscriminately on anything just to collect all 12 and get the H0S over with. I feel that for those of us who enjoy the adventure part of this game genre more than endless junk piles, this part could have been done better.

Having said that, I did enjoy the game overall - good music that fit the atmosphere, lovely artwork and not too much running around. 4 out of 5 from me.

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Apr 16, 12 7:00 AM
I enjoyed Lord of Mirrors... Don't like sparkles...

I'm going to buy it anyway. I can't explain why.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Apr 29, 12 10:47 PM
I'm a beginner. It took awhile for this game to get going and I was frustrated for awhile. I gave it one more chance before putting it away until I had more experience playing HOGS and I'm so glad I did. The storyline is great, the graphics are great, I got into it, I knew what I needed to do and where I needed to go to find what I wanted, and I just had fun.

I give it four (maybe four and a half) out of five stars, highly recommended!! A+++++!!!

Edited on 04/29/2012 at 10:53:05 PM PST

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Apr 29, 12 10:49 PM
laurakay76 wrote:Oh my lord.

I would venture to say I'm not even halfway through, but this is hands-down the creepiest game I have ever played! The storyline is terrifying if I think about it too much, and the setting is perfectly macabre. I think the scariest part, for me, is the child's voice that sometimes sings in the background about "He's behind you...he's watching you!"

The gameplay is a mix - maybe some find the sparkles too hand-holdy, but I think there's a very satisfying amount of things to be solved on my own so I don't mind a little assistance. Some of the puzzles had me totally stumped. The hint button recharges fairly quickly and I don't ever feel too lost...just lost enough.

The only thing I really don't particularly like is whenever the demon appears, and vanishes while hissing "I am evil!" Well, duh. Thank you, Captain Obvious.

Overall, this is one that's probably going to haunt my sleep for a few days! Great job to the developers!

Is that what that voice was singing? I couldn't tell! But I did hear "I'm eeeevviiilll...." After awhile I just ignored the daemon major. Now I have to go back to hear that voice but it doesn't start up until at least halfway through the game. Maybe I'll just take your word for it.

Edited on 04/29/2012 at 10:51:32 PM PST

boobailey
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by boobailey on May 18, 12 4:53 PM
Great game!!! Loved it. The graphic's was perfect. The color nice and everything was clear. There were many and many HOS. The puzzles were fun and the instructions were easy to follow. The story was good.

Paul4455
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by Paul4455 on Jun 26, 12 9:52 AM
sunidayz wrote:I was waiting for this SE to come out since playing the CE version awhile back. I really liked the CE version and just finished the SE version demo and bought it. The graphics and music are excellent in this game . The gameplay is fairly easy to follow and you have the hint if you need to push in the right direction. The **** scenes I found were challenging and the mini games also , but there was a quick skip button on the minigames. I would rate this a 9 out of 10.

My hint quit working 3/4 through the game. All it says now is "maybe there is something to do elsewhere" with no pointer. Without the pointer, whats the use of playing the game? I never play the hard mode.

[Post New]by sheilanuttell on Jul 9, 12 2:31 PM
where do i get the stratage version of this game

cirig
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by cirig on Jul 22, 12 11:39 PM
I love this game! The creepy music, the soul sucking monster and especially that horrible "He's watching you" song scared me perfectly! Bravo to Top Evidence
Studio and to BFG!

An added note to my fellow fishies: The hints are very generous in the SE version, and there doesn't seem to be any loss in not having the bonus game, so if you're wondering whether to buy the CE, my vote (for what it's worth) is no.

cirig
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by cirig on Jul 22, 12 11:43 PM
"My hint quit working 3/4 through the game. All it says now is "maybe there is something to do elsewhere" with no pointer. Without the pointer, whats the use of playing the game? I never play the hard mode.

I encountered that, too, I think it does it when you are too far away from an "active" area. Just keep moving around in the game, going to different locations, and when you get close enough to the next hog or mini game or whatever, the hint will start showing you arrows or highlighting a spot again.

[Post New]by nanatoni5 on Sep 24, 12 12:57 PM
All the way through except the last Demon. Can not find. What is the potion?

yvie
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
8 Posts

[Post New]by yvie on Oct 29, 12 8:51 AM
Love this game! I didn't need to use any cheats or walkthroughs. The hints were perfect. I am proud! Well done big fish authors!

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by cat52 on Oct 30, 12 1:49 AM
My hint quit working 3/4 through the game. All it says now is "maybe there is something to do elsewhere" with no pointer. Without the pointer, whats the use of playing the game? I never play the hard mode.

When that message comes up, it means there is an active HOS somewhere you can play.

On replay - I also found myself getting this message when there was something lying around waiting for me to pick up - in my case, one of the scepters. (added in edit)

Edited on 11/07/2012 at 8:45:19 AM PST

Tailteann
Clownfish
Clownfish
584 Posts

[Post New]by Tailteann on Dec 30, 12 8:37 AM
cat52 wrote:

When that message comes up, it means there is an active HOS somewhere you can play.

On replay - I also found myself getting this message when there was something lying around waiting for me to pick up - in my case, one of the scepters. (added in edit)

The purple hint arrow, which in this game is really helpful if you don't want to be wandering around trying every room -no jump map!-, stops working when your inventory is empty or doesn't have enough multiple items to complete a task.

Then you have to go from room to room in all the areas getting that message until you find a hidden object scene where you'll earn a new object. When that happens the purple arrow pointer comes back when you hit the hint button.

Apadenska
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by Apadenska on Mar 10, 13 8:41 PM
This game kept me on the edge of my seat. All kinds of interesting puzzles and hidden objects. A few teasers when you grab at things, but I had fun. Played all the way through with only a break to feed my cat and dogs. There was a lot of responsibility put on the shoulders of this young girl in the story. Have fun fishes!

Jerry99
Guppy
Guppy
105 Posts

Reviews for "Haunted Manor: Queen of Death"

[Post New]by Jerry99 on Apr 17, 13 9:11 AM
I did enjoy the game, but too many HOS. Also needed a map, many locations to move back and forth between. The Hint system was very good though. Excellent graphics and I woud recommend this game.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Jun 24, 13 10:24 PM
This is a terrific game! I loved playing it and was sorry when it was over. Sometimes I do think games run out of steam before the end and the devs add another chapter or chapters just to add to the length. In this one, at the end you have to find 12 objects and visit 12 HOS to do so. At this point there are no hints to tell you where to find the HOS. A game-lengthening device? Maybe, but I didn't have the feeling that the game had run out of steam.

The artwork is amazing -- beautiful, complex and spooky. There's a little repetitive tune that accompanies the HOS -- very haunting, almost hypnotic -- that, along with the ambient sounds, adds to the overall creepiness of the game.

WARNING - if you are easily creeped out by things that go bump in the night, and/or are sensitive to vermin, insects, snakes and the like, please play the demo before buying!

I think the lack of a map may actually add to the overall haunted ambience, since you have to walk through every room of the mansion again and again.

This is one of the best games I've played, maybe the best, and definitely better than Lord of Mirrors.

Edited on 06/24/2013 at 10:24:49 PM PST

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jun 25, 13 12:33 AM
In A Word, Dull

BASED ON COMPLETED GAME

Off we go to rescue our twin sister again, who of course lives in the spooky family mansion. Our parents have been killed, murdered, or have they? The opening cutscenes for this game are a bit long-winded, but the VOICEOVER is good, and it is a good introduction to the STORY, which only unfolds as we progress through the game. Although it involves the twin sisters from the original Haunted Manor game, it is not a sequel.

The VISUALS are clear and light, but difficult to describe. The GRAPHICS seem as though they’ve been painted in OIL, with a thick brush. There is a definite TEXTURE to them, and they are quite interesting. But they are far TOO MONOCHROMATIC for my taste, I never knew there were so many different shades of brown and grey!

The MUSIC, as with the first game, is DISTINCTIVE. Choir-like VOICES, REQUIEM-style tracks. Very WELL DONE, but it overshadowed any AMBIENT sound there may have been.

The game is MOSTLY ADVENTURE with a lot of HOS, in the form of INTERACTIVE LISTS. Items are generally clearly visible and the scenes are not too cluttered. Each scene is visited TWICE. In the final moments of the game, they are all revisited again, in a kind of TOUR OF THE GAME, to wrap everything up. Normally I quite like this, but there are 12 HOS to visit, one after the other, and it IS the third time.

PUZZLES are FEW and generally NOT TOO DIFFICULT, but some are DECEPTIVELY SIMPLE, and I, at least, had to skip. SKIP is QUICK. HINT is Very. Very. Slow. It is DIRECTIONAL outside HOS, except near the end of the game, where it reverts to “look elsewhere” comments.

The ADVENTURE component ANNOYED me. I was forever TOING & FROING, NO MAP, and often at a loss as to what to do next. There was just so much ground to cover, it was impossible to keep track of where everything was, so too much time was spent looking for the “lock that needed that key”.

Oh, and no widescreen option, so the images were noticeably stretched.

Playing this game dragged a bit. I needed to get help too often, and the monotony of colour didn’t help. Not a favourite, not even an also-ran, but it is okay, I guess.

I don’t recommend this game.

[Post New]by lindakathy on Oct 1, 14 5:11 PM
I should have read the reviews first.
I want a choice of difficulty.
Showing me every move is no fun.
Just uninstalled it.

Go to: