bfgKenai
Clownfish
Clownfish
864 Posts

Reviews for Curse at Twilight: Thief of Souls Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgKenai on Jan 2, 12 1:38 AM
Hi Fishies,

Just swimming by to let you know I've gone ahead and stickied this thread, thanks for starting the discussion DragonLadyOz!

We’d love to hear what you think of Curse at Twilight: Thief of Souls Collector's Edition ; your reviews are very important to us and to other Fishies. And now you’re more than welcomed to post your thoughts about this game right from the Curse at Twilight: Thief of Souls Collector's Edition page over Here!

For more information about our Game Reviews, please click here.

Once you’ve submitted your review, please feel free to come back and re-post your thoughts in this thread. Remember, a lot of people who will be reading these reviews haven’t played this game yet, so if you’re posting any spoilers, please be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

You can also specify if you played the game from the trial version or the full version and on which level you ended your game play, so that other players can get more out of this discussion !

If you are experiencing technical issues with this game, remember to check out the support thread for this game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming and Happy New Year everyone !
bfgKenai

Edited on 01/02/2012 at 1:40:38 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

Re:Reviews for Curse at Twilight: Thief of Souls Collector's Edition

[Post New]by cbtx on Jan 2, 12 2:02 AM
Well, better late than never on the forum being on time but I'll bet the developer wasn't entirely happy about all that confusion.
About the game itself:
I usually believe that any game wanting double money MUST play widescreen on my laptop monitor, and this one does not (I know some dev reps have posted in the forums, maybe they can explain this omission). That being said, I can tell you that this is that very rare game that has so much going for it otherwise I'll probably overlook the WS failure. Seriously, this game is very unique and well thought out in so many areas that it becomes too captivating to pass up.
I won't repeat the positive aspects that have already been mentioned (see Valdy's excellent review above) but the game is in keeping with the superb technical work on "A Gypsy's Tale" and the entire Aveyond series.
The only thing I found negative was that sometimes the fragmented objects and coins were simply too small to see, but that's part of the challenge I guess. (A widescreen presentation would certainly have helped with that, huh Amaranth?)
Overall, great game that's well done and certainly worth consideration as a CE.

(Earlier somewhere in the forum of this game-maybe this thread-there was a reference to a compressed type of programming or folder. Sure would like more info on that.)

Edited on 01/02/2012 at 2:05:11 AM PST

[Post New]by heatherington on Jan 2, 12 2:44 AM
This game had a few frustrating aspects of it. Items would not return to the inventory tray without several clicks. Usually just a right click will do. The inventory screen was huge and took up the bottom 1/4 of the screen. It seemed like most of the mini games had a quick skip fill but when you came to a rune box the skip button took several minutes to fill. I felt like the harder it was to figure out the runes the slower the skip button. I loved the cottage with the cow but was a little disappointed that I only had to click on the udder to get the milk. In one of the Robinson Crusoe games I actually got to milk a goat. Taking screws out was easy, I didn't drop the tool. I kind of liked the silver, bronze and gold padlocks. The art work was great but was a little disappointed that we didn't get any bonus play. I enjoyed it though and played the whole game through without any glitches or problems. I felt a little trepidation when I found out the guy wanted my soul and was wondering how all that was going to work out. Made for an interesting day and I will be playing it again real soon. Usually I don't replay games for six months or more except MCF games so that says a lot.

ShazPG
Clownfish
Clownfish
688 Posts

[Post New]by ShazPG on Jan 2, 12 2:54 AM
Hi Heatherington, just a comment on the bonus - there IS bonus gameplay, but you just don't access it from the menu like you're probably used to. Apart from the additional puzzles guarded by locks throughout the game, everything behind the gate in the manor back yard is the "bonus chapter" that will not be present in the SE.

Edited on 01/03/2012 at 3:47:15 PM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 2, 12 3:12 AM
heatherington wrote:The art work was great but was a little disappointed that we didn't get any bonus play.

Hi Heatherington...

Check out my review at the top regarding the bonus game.

I have also seen someone else making a new thread regarding the bonus game.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jan 2, 12 5:51 AM
So far I have no problems with the game, I like it and bought it, it plays wide screen in my laptop, have not technical problems with it, I am taking my time to play the game as I usually do when I enjoy a game very much and I am playing in hard mode and have not been disappointed yet and neither frustrated.

I guess things no always goes smooth all the time and for what I have learn so far when it comes to the gaming experience is that no always everybody gets to be happy or enjoy a game without problems.

That is understandable, I truly hope that any difficulties people are having with the game gets resolved soon.

I still think is a great game to play.

grama4jr
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

LOVED THIS GAME

[Post New]by grama4jr on Jan 2, 12 6:08 AM
Very different was confused at first but I am 70 years old we ALL get that way eventually! The hint button was used a lot when I first started, and the stragety guide was a must. Didnt play all the demo and bought before I finished, it was that exciting!
Thanks BFG need more of these!
To each of you a Healthy, Prosperous and Happy New Year.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Jan 2, 12 6:12 AM
This is my dream-game. This is what I always hope for - that someone out there in the world of developers will go all out to create a game that incorporates everything possible, on a grand scale. Now Amaranth has done just that.

I won't give a list because it has all been said already. I simply endorse everthing positive the fishies have said about it and disagree with all the negatives.

It played without a hitch or glitch, smooth as silk. The scope of this game is unbelievable.

It's not just a CE, it's a Super Deluxe CE.

It took me 8 hrs to complete and I am still sad that it's over. It's positively awesome.

If there was an award for this type of thing, no other game would stand a chance.

I hope and pray that Amaranth have more in the pipeline. I will be first in line.

Absolutely splendid!!!

Edited on 01/02/2012 at 6:15:04 AM PST

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Jan 2, 12 6:37 AM
Sheerija wrote:This is my dream-game. This is what I always hope for - that someone out there in the world of developers will go all out to create a game that incorporates everything possible, on a grand scale. Now Amaranth has done just that.

I won't give a list because it has all been said already. I simply endorse everthing positive the fishies have said about it and disagree with all the negatives.

It played without a hitch or glitch, smooth as silk. The scope of this game is unbelievable.

It's not just a CE, it's a Super Deluxe CE.

It took me 8 hrs to complete and I am still sad that it's over. It's positively awesome.

If there was an award for this type of thing, no other game would stand a chance.

I hope and pray that Amaranth have more in the pipeline. I will be first in line.

Absolutely splendid!!!

Yup, and I'm looking forward to playing the SE version when all the bugs have been worked out. Despite the glitches I've found I'm a HUGE fan of Amaranth and I'd like to see what the rest of the game has to offer. All of their games that I've played have been well worth the money.

Edited on 01/02/2012 at 6:37:32 AM PST

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Jan 2, 12 6:40 AM
I played the demo with no problems. I loved the game. Nice graphics AND MY FAVORITE THING an option to brighten the screen if it is too dark. Hear that developers who like to make dark games...an option to lighten things up! Music was not annoying..a big thing with me. Good graphics. A combination of **** and find the parts game. I will be buying this one...not sure if CE or waiting until SE as yet.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 2, 12 7:28 AM
cottoncandy2 wrote:Yup, and I'm looking forward to playing the SE version when all the bugs have been worked out. Despite the glitches I've found I'm a HUGE fan of Amaranth and I'd like to see what the rest of the game has to offer.

I'm not sure what bugs and glitches you are referring to. There are none in the game as far as I, and others, are concerned. Sure, there are a few peeps who seem to have problems with the cursor, although there are always peeps who seem to have problems with a lagging cursor, but I never had such problems, and certainly not with this game.

MarkAlan
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

[Post New]by MarkAlan on Jan 2, 12 7:58 AM
After finishing "Brink of Consciousness: Dorian Gray Syndrome" in my opinion the best HOPA every made, I will naturally use that as the standard for all other titles in the genre. I found the low-res graphics were seriously lacking, which explains the small download size. I personally don't like FROGs, and this game would suddenly scatters the fragments all over the screen, so it was easy to see where they appeared. I didn't encounter any mini-puzzles in the hour demo. Sorry, no buy for me.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Jan 2, 12 8:02 AM
(Based on the demo)--(Re-posted from the Comments thread)

When I first saw the file size, I thought, "No way could a CE be that small"! What a nice surprise! It offers everything that a CE should, whether those things suit your tastes or not--integrated SG, wallpapers, concept art, music, and a very unique way of providing bonus gameplay!

It is the tried-and-true "I'm trapped in this abandoned, haunted mansion" storyline. And while it's advertized as a "Hidden Object-Puzzle-Adventure (H0PA), so far, it seems to be more "Adventure," which I like.

The Options menu is good--music, sound FX, and brightness sliders (nice touch); cursor and screen choices; two gameplay modes (yes, the easier one has "sparklies."). The graphics aren't photo-perfect--they're more comic-book, water-color perfect (nice artwork!). The one H0 scene I've encountered so far has items appropriate to the story--they're pretty easy to spot, and there's interaction! The hint system re-ups quickly, and also provides guidance and notes if there's nothing left to do in any certain scene--good job!

Collect gold coins in the various scenes (the amount you need is shown at the top of the screen) and a photo of that scene will appear on an interactive map! Just click to go there! Gotta love it! Find various keys throughout the game to unlock gold, silver, bronze/brass, and pearl padlocks to access integrated bonus gameplay--what a nifty idea! But how that will play out in the SE is another matter!

I suspect this game will offer several hours of enjoyment (if you're a "smell the roses" player like me)! The SG sports seven (or is it eight?) chapters, and the whole thing is included in the demo--WTG, developers!

Good way to start off a new month and a new PunchCard!

Regards and Happy New Year, elldee

bball111
Guppy
Guppy
194 Posts

Re:Curse at Twilight: Thief of Souls Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bball111 on Jan 2, 12 11:02 AM
agf8623 wrote:The game should take 8-10 hours to complete. The download looks deceptively small because an awesome compression technique was used to make sure the game doesn't take up too much space on your computer.

I hope more developers use this technique (whatever it is). Games are just getting to large for many hard disk drives. They are filling up.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jan 2, 12 12:18 PM
It wasn't one of my favorite games and deleted before trial was over.

XtreemNorth
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by XtreemNorth on Jan 2, 12 12:50 PM
I played the demo for about 20 min and decided to buy it. to me, its a pretty good game, I like having a variety of things to accomplish, such as finding the coins etc. Items are on the small side, but being able to brighten up my screen helps alot. The developers did a good job on this game. Not much else I can add apart from all the other comments. I recommend this game, it's not to dark or spooky but just the right amount. Thanks again for more home entertainment.

xxybcc
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by xxybcc on Jan 2, 12 1:35 PM
I thought this was a great game. I liked the mix in hidden object scenes. It wasn't straight hog, some fragment and riddle, this made the game extra fun. I had no Technical problems and the game lasted several hours. Fantastic game from a developer who doesn't put out a lot. I had a great time and the story was interesting. Top ten games for sure, for me.

[Post New]by jacquianne on Jan 2, 12 1:53 PM
Have bought and downloaded the game but I cannot get it to run. It posts message saying it maybe on wrong setting. Anyone help with this please????

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Jan 2, 12 2:53 PM
cottoncandy2 wrote:So far I'm very disappointed in this game. I found the pieces of the stone after reinstalling the game and found that (spoiler) you have to use the rock on the RIGHT eye first and then the left eye.

Now, however, I'm looking for the lever and there's a piece not there according to the guide. Never, ever have I had problems like this with any game on this site. Won't be buying this one until the bugs are fixed.

The guide tells you to hit the left eye with the rock, then collect somethng. That's all I had to do.

As for the lever, the last piece is impossible to see. If I remember correctly, it is in the lower right hand side somewhere around that chained bundle of boards. Just use a hint to find the area, and then click around like mad. It should then pop out. Also, do you still have the outline open?

Edited on 01/02/2012 at 3:01:09 PM PST

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Jan 2, 12 2:59 PM
fiestygrl1 wrote:Dragonlady, I did try the hint and all it did was point towards the rock and not where to find the missing pieces. I hope they debug this because it has potential.
Thanks!

Do you still have the rock outline opened up? If you don't, then the hint button does automatically point at the rock. When looking for the pieces of an object, you must always keep the "outline" open. Otherwise, they won't show up in the picture.

Go to: