staciepie27
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

Re:Reviews for Grim Tales: The Legacy Collector's Edition

[Post New]by staciepie27 on Jan 5, 12 7:02 PM
Hello Everyone

I am also somewhat disappointed in this game, as many other Fishies are, and although it is obviously well done, there seems to be something missing, that special something that makes a game worthy to be a CE and wanting to pay CE price to play it because it is so awesome that you cannot wait for the SE. For one thing, this game is very easy, even on hardcore mode, whereas the other Grim Tales game was much more challenging in my opinion. There are many hints on hardcore mode, just in the descriptions of the scenes, suggestions of what item might be good to use in such and such a scene, and that is annoying. Why have hardcore mode then if you are still given hints as what to do?The HOG scenes are nothing special, and disappointingly not interactive, which makes them somewhat boring. Although some of the puzzles are interesting, there is some originality there, the entire premise and storyline of the game is not that exciting. Werewolves again? Developers need to come up with some new themes.Why can't there be a sci-fi HOPA game?

I wanted to like this game, and it is okay,but just not interesting enough to buy as a CE. As others have pointed out, it feels like you are just "going through the motions" with this game, and there are many far superior CE games out there that have come out over the past few weeks.

Really too bad, as I was looking forward to this game for some time.

My grades:

Special Features( voiceovers, cutscenes): B
Graphics: B
Music: B
Gameplay: B
Puzzles: B+
HOG scenes: C+( meh)
Mode of play( hard mode) -C+ ( not hard enough too many hints)
Game Issues: none that I had in the demo

Final Grade: B

fireeyes5
Minnow
Minnow
205 Posts

[Post New]by fireeyes5 on Jan 5, 12 7:31 PM
The only real disappointing item in this game is the lack of a journal.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Jan 5, 12 8:15 PM
After playing the demo, I also feel that "something" was missing from the game. I just can't put my finger on what that "something" is. I haven't played the first one as I chose to buy another game during the end of the year sale. I will probably buy the SE when it comes out in a few weeks.

[Post New]by jailbird400 on Jan 5, 12 9:54 PM
[removed by moderator]

Edited on 01/06/2012 at 12:46:46 AM PST

OzzyRobyn
Minnow
Minnow
254 Posts

[Post New]by OzzyRobyn on Jan 5, 12 11:06 PM
[removed by moderator]

Edited on 01/06/2012 at 12:47:02 AM PST

[Post New]by IslandDaisy on Jan 5, 12 11:46 PM
I really felt compelled to post a comment about this game. While the storyline is not really my cup of tea, I absolutely LOVE the game mechanics. I was very happy to see these had not changed much between "The Bride" and "The Legacy".

Both these games have an option to change the brightness (or gamma), both have interactive maps where you can go directly to the place you need, which relieves the endless running around. Upside for "The Legacy" is the map is much clearer and easier to understand.

Challenging puzzles are a bonus, and it was nice to see a different variety of puzzle types not often used in this type of genre. Well done guys!

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Jan 6, 12 5:40 AM
I almost did not buy this game because I did not like it at first, but I got stuck for something to play so I did, and I am glad I did.

I agree that it is not perfect - the HOS are blurry and I had to use the hint a lot. Initially I thought it had poor graphics, but then I realised it was deliberate and in keeping with the theme and as I got used to them I began enjoying the game more and more.

There are loads of locations and it took me over 6 hours to complete overall.

So, not as good as some, but not as bad as others.

It kept me entertained well enough, so no real complaints.

Starchild6
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

[Post New]by Starchild6 on Jan 6, 12 6:20 AM
I an enjoying this game, but then, I really like vampires and werewolves and ghosts and whatever! Totally filled my 25" monitor with no special effort on my part, so I don't know why some people get black bars. I just started the game, and there it all was! Some great visuals. I, too, wish that the main character could show up without crashing, maybe take a bus? LOL! SG quite good, and I love maps. I like relaxing and not trying to remember where I am, makes all the backtracking tolerable.

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Jan 6, 12 8:35 AM
Excellent game! Gorgeous graphics and story line, adventurous and challenging, not too many hid obj scenes, the sounds efxs are awsome, of course this is based only by the demo version, it's a dark but not too creepy, very good hint system and a directional map with active locations, in short I really like it and I am going to get the CE, worthy surely, and who said that the wolves are all on the bad side, or dark side? Happy gaming to those whom love cubs!!

TimeKilla
Herring
Herring
399 Posts

[Post New]by TimeKilla on Jan 6, 12 12:39 PM
Really lovely art, huge world to explore, a few interesting inventory puzzles, some very nice mini-games and all that. Why isn't this game grabbing me? It's very nice game, it just isn't what I expected from this developer.

There are no extras - no interactive H0's, no items to collect (Like the doves in Templar), and no achievements. It's an Elephant SE dressed up as a CE.

The game looks right, but it plays like a rush job. Instead of figuring out which inventory items to use, you're running back and forth on busy-work errands. I found myself referring to the strategy guide often. Not because I was lost, just tired of all the jogging and didn't want to waste anymore time. Eventually I was too bored to continue and exited the demo with nearly a half hour left.

Which isn't to say that the game is all bad. It is, of course, absolutely lovely. The mini-games were well-done. There's a brilliant little leaf puzzle which took some consideration and quite a lot of trial & error. The H0s are a bit too simple but nice. I may buy it as an SE, depending on what else comes out at the same time. Perhaps if I'm already set up for the disappointment, the flaws will be easier to overlook. I just expect more from Elephant.

PS: Had the developers added a "no text hints for each inventory item" option, like we saw in Azada 3, I might have been more involved in the game. Telling me what item I need or which item goes where makes the game less challenging.

Edited on 01/06/2012 at 12:43:06 PM PST

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Jan 6, 12 7:27 PM
As several posters have already stated, the game just didn't grab me. I actually found it to be kind of boring. I used the strategy guide so many times during the demo, so that I wouldn't waste a lot of time trying to figure out where to go and what to do next. I think we're getting spoiled with the interactive h. o. scenes, which this game does not have. Interactive h. o. scenes are more fun. Also I really get annoyed with junk pile h.os. that are hard to see. I used the hint button usually twice in each h.o. scene, because I was tired of hunting through all of that junk. I don't even know if I will purchase this one when it comes out as a SE.

[Post New]by sharra456 on Jan 6, 12 10:14 PM
Demo Review: The music is very spotty - stalls a lot. Junk pile hos. Not impressed with quality control on this one. I do not understand the story line. Why not call the police or something? There are wolves in the castle for goodness sake and a missing baby. Maybe the main character could have had a dead cell phone or something. Just to blunder about does not make sense to me. I really miss having a journal; taking notes is a bore and using the strategy guide on every puzzle is too easy and a bore. Add a journal, fix the music and I might be interested in the SE. Perhaps the story gets better, the demo was too short to tell.

Rhysdux
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,219 Posts

[Post New]by Rhysdux on Jan 7, 12 12:35 AM
sharra456 wrote: I do not understand the story line. Why not call the police or something? There are wolves in the castle for goodness sake and a missing baby. Maybe the main character could have had a dead cell phone or something. Just to blunder about does not make sense to me.

Isn't it amazing that most of the characters in these supernatural horror games ever seem to have seen a horror-themed film or TV show and can't seem to figure out that wandering around alone in a place that's reportedly haunted or infested with vampires or werewolves might not be a good idea? I like the ones who want to use cell phones but can't because there's no signal, or who are trying to get out of a location and back to their car. That's rational.

But breaking your neck to get into an unlit castle that has at least two wolves wandering around it? I kept yelling at the protagonist to get back to her car, make a U-turn and drive to the nearest police station. Oh, and maybe call Animal Control.

I mean, obviously she has to wander around the castle for the sake of the game's story. I just would have liked it better if she'd thought of other options and had found, for one reason or another, that they didn't work.

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Jan 7, 12 5:38 AM
Rhysdux wrote:Not bad, but one problem I found with this was that at least one puzzle--the sliding bar puzzle on the second floor which is supposed to open the grating--is not skippable. I was playing on the easiest mode and couldn't solve it. There were instructions on how to solve it in the strategy guide, but I'm afraid I couldn't follow them very well

Without a skip button, I was unable to progress. There was no way to get past that area, and the game refused to give me hints for other areas. All it would say was, "There is a mechanism on the second floor that will open the grating."

Not a buy for me.

Check the lower left corner of the screen, and I think you will find a Skip button. I played the demo (love the game), and used the Skip button for this puzzle. Hope this helps.

[Post New]by florrete on Jan 7, 12 6:50 AM
Could anyone help me ,i cant play games fullscreen i have a 17" laptop Nvidia geforce gt55m graphics card .
Any help would be very appreciated .

Florrete

[Post New]by jcsmith6347 on Jan 9, 12 1:20 PM
finished the whole game and the bonus game I liked the game but the jumping back and forth drove me nuts plus the game was a little slow going from scene to scene

tomb57
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by tomb57 on Jan 9, 12 1:46 PM
A Nice Long! game, even in casual mode. Liked every bit of it.
Can't say enough good things about it!
Thanks BFG!!!!!

JamieJBD
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by JamieJBD on Jan 10, 12 6:26 AM
Not crazy about this game. I agree with what a few others said: lack of a journal and a bit boring. Not sure if I'll even buy the SE.

kmoar5
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by kmoar5 on Jan 10, 12 9:20 AM
Great game!! Nice and long and a fairly long bonus chapter as well! Well worth the money for it! Great Job!

[Post New]by cuttlefish5 on Jan 11, 12 4:07 PM
First time ever posting on this forum...so please bear with me...I thoroughly enjoyed this game...as so many noted the play keeps surprising you with more and more areas to explore ...it is graphically beautiful, I found new -to-me puzzles to solve, and though I didn't find the story line particularly intriguing, I did like the twists and turns of the game itself. I am very happy that I splurged on the CE ... I found the bonus play to be much more than I have gotten with other games...so was happy with that portion also.

I enjoy reading the posted opinions of others... a nice mix.
Thank you.

Go to: