arthurC
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

Re:Reviews for Jewel Quest: The Sapphire Dragon

[Post New]by arthurC on Jan 12, 12 7:12 AM
I'm a sucker for all the JQ series .. can't resist them, but i'm a bit of a JQ purist .. I HAVE to get five gold stars before I continue. This is the whole point of the game, far as I'm concerned. No gold star .. no achievement. I've been playing level one for three days .. and I still can't crack the fifth gold star.

This is going to be a toughy I think!
Jo

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Jan 12, 12 4:13 PM
arthurC wrote:I'm a sucker for all the JQ series .. can't resist them, but i'm a bit of a JQ purist .. I HAVE to get five gold stars before I continue. This is the whole point of the game, far as I'm concerned. No gold star .. no achievement. I've been playing level one for three days .. and I still can't crack the fifth gold star.

This is going to be a toughy I think!
Jo

Hi Jo, I sent you a PM.

s_tickle
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by s_tickle on Jan 16, 12 8:35 AM
After reading alot of "not good" reviews, I decided to download and then buy. The trial doesn't do this game justice, as in alot of other demos. There is a reason for picking certain characters on each board. For me, it didn't get challenging until around level 100 but then again, I'm pretty good at M3's and figured out what characters to pick and when early on. I highly recommend this game, several different M3 boards, timing gets harder as the game progresses.

[Post New]by andyou on Mar 1, 12 4:56 PM
I'm a huge fan of the Jewel Quest series. They tend to require a little more brain power than the typical M3. Sapphire Dragon will provide many hours of entertainment. I only care about the boards and skipped the story. It was somewhat annoying having to click away from the story all the time, but I found it's a lot less distracting if you mute the voices.

There a lot of variety of boards. The new Path Finder board is particularly fun. As is the Flood board. I was surprised those pesky monkeys didn't make an appearance this game.

I have one major gripe. The normal setting is a lot harder than the advanced setting if you're going for all the possible stars. (4 for normal, 5 for advanced) This is because in the normal play, the number of stars depends on your score. So if you take too long and get a low score, you won't make four stars. But in the advanced mode, you get five stars just for beating the board. I played the advanced mode first, so if anything the normal mode should have seemed even easier.

So basically, the advance mode of the game is useless if you want harder challenge.

However, overall, if you like M3 games, this is worth your money.

nwind
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by nwind on Mar 10, 12 12:11 PM
Loved it! The best of the best! I loved being able to select different characters with different abilities for the various challenges. Love the story line and the Journal notes to tell the story. The only thing I really hated is when it was over. Of course I played it again, but hope to see another Jewel Quest done this way!

Sophira
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by Sophira on Mar 29, 12 12:47 AM
I really enjoyed the game and now am going back and again playing the boards I enjoyed. The challenge now is to level up all the players to their maximum and get all the journal entries.
I like the variety of boards and playing them again with different characters changes the situation each time.
I am certainly getting my money's worth plus some!! Thanks!

[Post New]by LauraMiller on May 6, 12 9:00 AM
This is a pretty good Jewel Quest, but after the first cut scene I skipped all the story bits. I have no idea if that affects my ability to play it, as I'm only in the third or forth level. It's moderately annoying to have to keep clicking the skip button to get to the next board, but I can live with it, I guess. The music did get irritating and repetitive, though.

I DID like the extra strategy element involved in picking a character who has powers uniquely suited to a particular board. Didn't care about them as characters at all, though, and hated the voiceovers.

Dear developers: For what it's worth, you really don't need to invest time and resources in the story. If I want a story, I'll read a book or play a HOG. Here is what I like about Jewel Quest, and would like more of:

Colorful, interesting tokens that have various cultural "themes" and change from board to board. It's especially fun when you animate them on mouseover

Fun, exotic backgrounds to look at.

Nifty sound effects.

A variety of extra challenges like locks, monkeys to cage (loved those!), ice cubes to melt.

A variety of power ups and ways to get them.

Not too much fanfare with every little achievement, with the huge CONGRATULATIONS and trumpets playing and endless score-running animations. It's not that big a deal and gets tedious to sit through since those parts can't be skipped. Some fuss when a stage is completed is nice, though, especially if it's pretty to look at.

As long as the interstitial puzzles are fun, they make a nice change. I can't remember which JewelQuest had the moving background were you had click on as many birds or stars as you could spot, but that was fun. Did not like the game that had all the HOGs in it, though. HOGs are difficult to do well, and while I do sometimes like them, I don't want to deal with them in the middle of a Match 3 game.

Pat_ric_ia
Guppy
Guppy
199 Posts

[Post New]by Pat_ric_ia on Sep 11, 12 6:40 AM
Hi all, Well, you certainly get your monies worth with this game!!! I think it has been one of the longest I have played with Big Fish. I enjoyed the challenges but must admit that all that writing (the story and the conversations between the characters etc) became tiresome after a very short while. I started reading the journals but gave up after a while as it was so boring. The game was good and the basic story line was easy to follow - even though there were too many 'disasters' and 'happenings' to be believable. I also enjoyed the variety of game play as well as playing to 'charge up' the different characters. Another successful Jewel Quest! I look forward to yet another to fill the long winter months. (It may be only September but the supermarkets have all the Christmas stuff accumulating on the shelves, so Winter here we come I guess!) Love to you all xxx Pat_ric_ia xxx

[Post New]by scientifickitty on Dec 4, 12 3:04 PM
Just got about a quarter of the way through the second realm, and I have to say, I'm disappointed. Normally I don't really expect too much from these games - low expectations, seldom disappointed, etc.

However, while I'm not expecting realism or the like too much (considering the fantastical element!) I have to say I found the sudden almost political twist plus apparent aversion to anything remotely resembling realism not only disappointing but kind of offensive. The character development (such as it was) had already become pretty predictable, the inclusion of an apparent political point of view along with an apparent total lack of a clue about what scientists in the field do or don't do hit a real low point.

I quit the game and I'm disappointed that I bought it. As low as my expectations were, they still managed to underwhelm me. The game play isn't interesting or innovative and without that, they should at least have managed better writing and characterization. Or at least used Google to find some real people to talk to for clues...

[Post New]by pennbeth on Jan 9, 13 5:18 AM
I thought, silly me, that this was going to be similar to JQ, the Sleeping Star. I was WRONG..... I don't find myself enjoying it at all. You can't really win the game by getting better or using strategy or any such. If you want to "win" you just go to the advanced level and if you finish a game you will get the 5 gold stars. Hardly a challenge. I will be putting this game back into my list and try to find another one I can enjoy playing. This one is truly a WASTE!!!

sammi21
Guppy
Guppy
150 Posts

[Post New]by sammi21 on Mar 27, 13 12:23 AM
All finished....much to my disappointment! I love ALL of the J.Q. games and take great pleasure in the struggling at times to beat the serpent...It started off quite slowly, so I thought I was going to be bored, but, soon... in to the action....Bit of a silly story....they ALL should have died a dozen times, so....we skip that part and get on with the game..As usual, GREAT....Good to come back to --every couple of days....MORE ! MORE! MORE ! of J..Q. please! sammi...

sammi21
Guppy
Guppy
150 Posts

[Post New]by sammi21 on Mar 27, 13 12:30 AM
Great game, but would have liked more melting ice cubes, monkeys to boxes etc...These extras MADE the J.Q. earlier games...Us avid fans love a challenge, SO.......more ot THE SAME please...AND... To all who didnt like this game, there's always the demo...You know, try before you buy...If you didnt like it, you're not a J.Q. fan are you? Thanx B.F. again....sammi..

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Sep 26, 13 8:01 AM
A definate no buy for me. Straight match 3 with no diversity. I found it confusing as to what its real plan really was. Very annoying tutorial which I chose to turn off almost immediately...maybe there was something buried in it that might have helped figure out just what was up with this game. Finally got so bored I didn't even finish the demo time....I've certainly seen better, more entertaining match 3 games. 1 out of 5 on my scale.

Go to: