sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

Re:Reviews for White Haven Mysteries Collector's Edition

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jan 8, 12 12:11 PM
Excellent game. I generally don't like all the asylum games, but this one is pretty creepy. Not certain if I will purchase the CE, but it is interesting to me. [removed by moderator] Anyway, I personally like the game. This secret developer is known to produce great games, and this one is no exception. Dittos to Valdy, who best outlines the mechanics of the games. He is probably your best evaluator on this game site. Dittos to what he has already stated. Try turning off the lights and playing this game. It really takes it to a new level.

[removed by moderator]

Edited on 01/08/2012 at 2:40:18 PM PST

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Jan 8, 12 12:44 PM

Edited on 01/08/2012 at 2:37:54 PM PST

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Jan 8, 12 12:50 PM
In the beginning, I was enjoying the game. The background music is eerie, and the voice over of the "evil" one was cool. It wasn't too hammy. However, I really get annoyed when an h.o. scene is nothing but a junk pile. I didn't come across any mini games or puzzles, unless you count making the soup, in the demo....so I can't comment on those. I will probably purchase (with a pcc or gc) this game when it comes out as an SE

[Post New]by SIRSLIMMYEEL on Jan 8, 12 1:23 PM

Edited on 01/08/2012 at 2:33:40 PM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jan 8, 12 1:27 PM
This game looked very familiar, and then I remembered that I beta tested it some months ago. I liked the graphics, voice overs and game play. Yes, there are a lot of HOGs, but that's why these games are called hidden objects. This did seem to have a bit more than usual. A lot of running around, as usual. Same old story line, but I don't pay much attention to that anyway. Didn't see anything that scared me, but maybe I haven't gotten far enough in the game.

Not sure if this is CE worthy, because I don't know how long it actually is. All is all, I did like the game, but will put it in the puddle and see what else comes out this month before I decide whether to purchase or not. Thanks for the reviews.

adr8p
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by adr8p on Jan 8, 12 1:32 PM
I played the demo for 35 mins then found i was bored and couldn't really care whether the woman lived or died or even escaped! It didnt scare me even when i followed the advise at beginning and played in the dark with the sound on (headphones on). Its just an average game to me, nothing special, played many a game that started the same way.
To all those who like the game, have fun

[Post New]by SIRSLIMMYEEL on Jan 8, 12 2:33 PM
Hey, its me again Skimmy, if any one thinks that the ****'s are hard to find, try "Mystery of the Earl" these ****'s are a walk in the park compared to that one. I agree we have had a lot of crazies in a sanitorium but each has it's own thing. I have never seen one that tells you to shut off your lights when you play, thats a new one on me..

bfgHondo
Manatee
Manatee
3,712 Posts

[Post New]by bfgHondo on Jan 8, 12 2:36 PM
Hi folks,

In addition to reserving this thread for reviews of this game only, please keep in mind that it is against our Forum Rules to discuss moderator actions:

*Do not discuss moderator disciplinary actions. Moderators will not discuss actions and ask that you do not either. Posts that contain this information will be removed and may incur further disciplinary action.

If you have any questions, please contact a moderator directly.

-bfgHondo

rubylace66
Guppy
Guppy
162 Posts

[Post New]by rubylace66 on Jan 8, 12 2:43 PM
i can understand people getting tired of the same old stories in games,but honestly it would be very hard if not impossible to think up different storylines for so many games...i dont really take much interest in the story anyway..and i would prefer the developers to put thought into the puzzles and HOG scenes
if i want a great story i will go to the library
just my thoughts..i realise a lot of people will disagree and that is their right of course
..actually i rather like the crashed car and the rain and the old mansion..it always does it for me

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Jan 8, 12 3:02 PM
I too hoped that, though I have found all the object on the phone, and wished would have been a one time only type scene, said that, I found the game really good, with a clear and well detailed strategy guide, really a nice new thing, but the story is really sad and spooky, not in the mood at this time, so I'll think about it, maybe I wait for the SE!
Cheers!

quote=Valdy]
shagwendy wrote:The H0 scene with the phone was something else again, though

I liked that one. And I liked it even more that you could SKIP this HOS.

[Post New]by 12Peaches on Jan 8, 12 3:30 PM
As already stated, once again a mental hospital, once again a dark theme. A complete disappointment. I am not going to buy anymore games or even play/test anymore games like this one.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Jan 8, 12 3:32 PM
I enjoyed the demo and thought it was going to be a great game from a great dev BUT after finishing the CE I cannot beleive this is from my favorite dev!!

I did have to use the SG as usual but they changed the format of the SG and I dont care for the new changes.

The story could have been great but I felt let down, just is not up to the excellance of all of their other games I have. I love the dark and spooky games but this one just didnt hit the mark. I thought at least towards the end of the game there would be a twist to the story and not end as you knew it would by mid game.

Really disappointed with this purchase.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jan 8, 12 3:37 PM
I for one am tired of amnesiacs, asylums, hospitals, and mad scientists/doctors. I realize it is quicker and cheaper to modify code you have already written, but sheesh, enough is enough.
That being said, this game has enough improvements to make it stand out.The strategy guide is a mixed blessing. It is nice to have one that follows you along the story, but for those of us who only use the guide when we are really stuck, it is not as helpful as being able to scroll through it to find the error of our ways. The telephone HOG was a great puzzle.
[removed by moderator]

Edited on 01/10/2012 at 2:05:09 AM PST

huffpatsy
Herring
Herring
301 Posts

[Post New]by huffpatsy on Jan 8, 12 3:45 PM
Well, I played it all the way through and got to the bonus round. Made it inside the door but could not go forward from there, so needless to say, I was disappointed. Not one of my favorite games but I stuck with it. Did not think it was worth a CE price.

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Jan 8, 12 4:11 PM
Sheerija wrote:The mechanics of this game are excellent, but unfortunately I found it tedious. It's like I always say, you cannot get the "feel" of a game from the 1 hr demo. Some fishies have disputed this, but this game is a case in point.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with that. Nine out of ten times I can decide within the first 20 minutes if I'm going to enjoy the game enough to buy it -- if it will hold my interest that long. The graphics in this game were okay, but pretty is as pretty does. it doesn't make a good game to have terrific graphics. I played this one for about a half hour hoping it would get better for me, but unfortunately not. They just switched a house or castle or whatever for an insane asylum but everything else was pretty much what I expected.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jan 8, 12 5:21 PM
I finished the game, and I really enjoyed playing it. Yes, there are lots of hos and I still like them. Didn't have many puzzles, and I didn't skip any. Didn't use the guide too much as hints were sufficient most of the time. The bonus ending was kind of a surprise...not all wrapped up with a nice, tidy, happy ever after, lol. Not sure if there is a sequel coming, but I am ready if there is. I did take my time and the game lasted several hours for me.

There may come a day when I don't enjoy these games...but they are still my favorites, and I could play a new one every day. Of course some are better than others, and some place more emphasis on the hos, while others are more puzzle and adventure. I enjoy most all of them, and I am glad that we get a variety. I like some of the light hearted ones, but the dark, eerie mysteries remain my favorites.

[Post New]by sweeswee2003 on Jan 8, 12 5:30 PM
[removed by moderator]

Edited on 01/10/2012 at 2:27:24 AM PST

darkhalf01
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by darkhalf01 on Jan 8, 12 7:01 PM
It looked like an ok game, but I found it way too easy on hard mode and there were too many HOS. Maybe it's just my "middle-aged" eyes, but I found the text for the HOS way too small and fuzzy, which ended giving me a headache, so I packed it in before the end of the demo.

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Jan 8, 12 7:45 PM
[removed by moderator]

Edited on 01/10/2012 at 2:27:49 AM PST

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Jan 8, 12 7:52 PM
Based just on the demo, I really like this one! The voice-overs are excellent, the hints are helpful and refill quickly, and the graphics are quite good. I agree with what several of you have said about there being an onslaught of mental hospital games but I especially like this one because it seems a bit more realistic than some of the previous games with the same subject. Also, while it is on the easy side, I would rather a game be easy instead of frustratingly difficult. I don't want to play games to make me frustrated. I want games that help me chill out!! I'm not sure whether I'll get the CE or the SE but, either way, it's a buy for me!

Go to: