Re:Comments for "White Haven Mysteries" CE

[Post New]by sweeswee2003 on Jan 8, 12 5:26 PM
Was this out a little while ago or am I having deja vu? I don't want to D/L and find out I used my time up to test the game out. It looks very familiar

"White Haven Mysteries" CE - Very explosive beginning but very lame ending....

[Post New]by jodalee on Jan 8, 12 6:23 PM
This story had me on the edge of my seat during the beginning. Story line started out quite wonderfully. As the game progressed it became more and more sketchy and with the final scene, it almost seems as though the developer ran out of time or something. The story seems to just cut off. Atleast the bonus chapter seemed to neaten the ending and wrap things up a little better...

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jan 8, 12 6:43 PM
uwflossi wrote:Hello dear fishies, I really regret that I have bought this game. (Sorry, I am a German girl . It was short, not scary. The HOS in the bonus chapter were very boring. I counted 6 or 7 HOS with: 6 sunglasses, 5 golf balls, 5 pens, 5 numbers, 5 books, 5 letters and so on. And three!! keys for one door (Lab). Time consuming and nothing else.

Today I am a not so happy fish

Hi there uwflossi,
I agree with you about the H0 scenes in the Bonus Game. And I really thought that I knew what the ending would be seeing as how we were "replacing" things. But no, no solution and we'll have to wait until the next instalment. Hmph
I personally wished they had spent their time on developing the sequel to Voodoo Whisperer than this "blah" event.
Cheers

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jan 8, 12 7:07 PM
Thought this was another great game from GOGI and the graphics were great. Thought it had great music and liked that it has some pazazz to it. I guess it depends on what other gamers like but you should give this one a try. Didn't know if it would play smooth as I am in Florida and don't have my desktop which has a lot more HD.. but it played fine. Will probley wait until it's an SE as I have lots of free games and have to use them by the end of Feb.. Another fun game.. lately there have been a lot of them.

manticore
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by manticore on Jan 9, 12 2:02 AM
DragonLadyOz wrote:
manticore wrote:I know I'm probably in a minority, but I never play games with the sound on (I prefer to listen to music whilst playing), so I was a little disappointed to find that I couldn't even turn the sound down in 'options', never mind off .

Hi there manticore,
You could turn all of the sound down in the Options menu - music, speech and background effects.

Cheers

Thanks DragonLadyOz - that's what I usually do, but the sliders won't work in this game - maybe just my pc being awkward...... . No big deal

glb613
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by glb613 on Jan 9, 12 3:26 AM
angelfish106 wrote:
glb613 wrote:This game fills my 23 inch monitor without any problems and no black bars. I really think the poster with all of the display problems needs to look to computer as the source and not the games.

'The poster with all of the display problems', assuming you mean cbtx, is not alone in having no widescreen with most of the games on here. I don't either and I also have a 23" monitor. I use a desktop and I believe cbtx has a laptop. It's also doubtful we use the same OS or graphics cards; I have Vista HP and a Radeon HD5670 card.

I had Customer Services working for 3 days to try and figure out why I get widescreen on a few games but not most others. They could not find any issues with my PC or it's set-up and my resolution is set to the recommended level for the monitor; changing it does not help. And having just tried it, this game doesn't display in widescreen for me either but Fear For Sale: Sunnyvale Story did. So it clearly is not my PC that is at fault.

As both yourself and many others do get widescreen on almost every game but some of us don't, it does seem that somewhere in the programming of the game, something needs to be changed to give every type of set-up the option for widescreen. Some devs obviously have done this but most haven't. And until they do, we will keep on about it!

ETA: My graphics card has no option to change the aspect ratio, as mentioned by dk5793. But since some games do play in w/s, it doesn't seem as though that is the issue.

glb613
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by glb613 on Jan 9, 12 3:36 AM
As both yourself and many others do get widescreen on almost every game but some of us don't, it does seem that somewhere in the programming of the game, something needs to be changed to give every type of set-up the option for widescreen. Some devs obviously have done this but most haven't. And until they do, we will keep on about it!

ETA: My graphics card has no option to change the aspect ratio, as mentioned by dk5793. But since some games do play in w/s, it doesn't seem as though that is the issue.

It has to be your computer or everyone would have the same problem. That's how programs work. You need to select full screen not wide screen. Widescreen, just like with movies you watch on your TV, is designed to have the black bars on the top and bottom so you get the entire width of the movie or game. The next time the game has those bars, uncheck widescreen and see if it fills the screen.

GogiiGrace
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by GogiiGrace on Jan 9, 12 5:39 AM
Hey gamers,

Thanks very much for all your comments and reviews for White Haven Mysteries. We really appreciate hearing your feedback, both good and bad, as it helps us improve the development of future games! Thanks again!

Edited on 01/09/2012 at 5:39:51 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 9, 12 9:28 AM
GogiiGrace wrote:Hey gamers,

Thanks very much for all your comments and reviews for White Haven Mysteries. We really appreciate hearing your feedback, both good and bad, as it helps us improve the development of future games! Thanks again!

The one whose name shall not be named has appeared.

And thank you, nameless one, for popping in.

Poof11
Clownfish
Clownfish
503 Posts

[Post New]by Poof11 on Jan 9, 12 11:49 AM
I have finished the game and was let down. I think the developers got a little lazy towards the end with the strategy guide. When you begin the bonus chapter, for some reason the strategy guide does not go there. It kept taking me back to an area in the last chapter of the game. Maybe because I didn't use all of the items in my inventory, who knows, and if that is the reason, I shouldn't have been able to complete the game with open items. But, when you are highlighting the areas I am working in throughout the game...stay consistent. I also didn't like that the paper clippings kept going back to the first page and you had to hunt through them to find the new items that you received in your journal.
I also found this game a sort of "Deja Vu" since some of the areas seemed as though they were from a different game., especially in the beginning.
All in all, I should have waited for the SE.

player_pat
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

"White Haven Mysteries" CE -- gaming is in trouble! (SPOILER WITHIN)

[Post New]by player_pat on Jan 9, 12 1:33 PM
"White Haven Mysteries" is a huge disappointment. Besides going through hard-to-look-at graphics, the only game "mystery" here is finding some really terribly hidden objects. (You won't find a mystery in the plot.)

The Story line is so bad, I could not believe where it was ... (or, should I say, where it "wasn't") ... going? It stops dead in the middle of ... of ... of (Oh, I forgot already; that's how quick, unexpected, and unaccecptable the ending was!)

So, now the game's over--just like that--and they use a "multiple personality disorder" character to tell you it's over. Huh??? (As if that makes it okay?)

Yep, that's it, folks. There's no normal flow to this game. It's like they cut a game in half ... because it was getting too long ... going no where fast ... and it was as boring as heck. None-the-less, the multiple personality character appearing--out of no where on the scene--will justify "the means to their ending." (Oh, no it won't! LOL)

"Umm...," you say, "What happened to the mystery of the missing doctor?" Well, you have to buy the CE, because that's where the story of the doctor picks up (in the bonus round), after you were so abruptly and unexpectedly TOLD the game has ended.

And now you're told the little girl you're looking for--so you can help her--is maybe ... "you?" Who knows? Can't make hide, nor tail of this crazy game. The whole thing is unclear!

If developers have to have an OUT OF SYNC ending by using mental illness to blurt it out, then the gaming industry is in big trouble! The game is just as crazy as its story line. The developers are just as nuts if they think they can pull this off without people responding to the whole crazy thing! LOL Just how crazy or stupid do they think people are???

player_pat
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by player_pat on Jan 9, 12 1:40 PM
Poof11 wrote:I have finished the game and was let down. I think the developers got a little lazy towards the end with the strategy guide. When you begin the bonus chapter, for some reason the strategy guide does not go there. It kept taking me back to an area in the last chapter of the game. Maybe because I didn't use all of the items in my inventory, who knows, and if that is the reason, I shouldn't have been able to complete the game with open items. But, when you are highlighting the areas I am working in throughout the game...stay consistent. I also didn't like that the paper clippings kept going back to the first page and you had to hunt through them to find the new items that you received in your journal.
I also found this game a sort of "Deja Vu" since some of the areas seemed as though they were from a different game., especially in the beginning.
All in all, I should have waited for the SE.

Totally agree with you, Poof! The whole game is unorganized. I'm especially happy you noted the paper clippings being messed up. Nothing was in order in this game. I could not believe it! I had to keep going back to the notes to see if there was something wrong with my game's installation. I'll be remembering the developers of this game. I think I'll start a list of 'em!

player_pat
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by player_pat on Jan 9, 12 1:55 PM
BearKat wrote:Good morning, all. I'm on the fence with this one. I agree with all the good points already listed.Great graphics, and though the storyline has been used once or twice this has an interesting twist to it.
It has the things I usually buy a CE for,ie,SG,wallpapers, concept art, voiceovers always a big plus, and of course bonus play. No screen savers or music score this time. Which really isn't that big a thing with this one. Did anyone actually need the SG in the demo? I opened it just to see how many pages there were, but that is all. I don't usually waffle on a CE very much if I really like it! LOL. But with the CE sale not so very long ago, I am kind of full up with CEs now. Not that I'm complaining, just makes me unsure about this game. I'm leaning toward the buy button, would somebody please give me a push?
BK

Nope, don't do it! LOL The game is terrible; graphics are terrible, and the whole game is out of order. Hope this helps.

XtreemNorth
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by XtreemNorth on Jan 9, 12 5:59 PM
player_pat wrote:
BearKat wrote:Good morning, all. I'm on the fence with this one. I agree with all the good points already listed.Great graphics, and though the storyline has been used once or twice this has an interesting twist to it.
It has the things I usually buy a CE for,ie,SG,wallpapers, concept art, voiceovers always a big plus, and of course bonus play. No screen savers or music score this time. Which really isn't that big a thing with this one. Did anyone actually need the SG in the demo? I opened it just to see how many pages there were, but that is all. I don't usually waffle on a CE very much if I really like it! LOL. But with the CE sale not so very long ago, I am kind of full up with CEs now. Not that I'm complaining, just makes me unsure about this game. I'm leaning toward the buy button, would somebody please give me a push?
BK

Nope, don't do it! LOL The game is terrible; graphics are terrible, and the whole game is out of order. Hope this helps.

I hope you dont let someone tell you what to do. If you liked it, buy it, you can always wait until it comes out as a se. Graphics were good, and I thought the game was entertaining, I disagree with most of the posts, but to each his own

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jan 10, 12 7:08 AM
glb613 wrote: It has to be your computer or everyone would have the same problem. That's how programs work. You need to select full screen not wide screen. Widescreen, just like with movies you watch on your TV, is designed to have the black bars on the top and bottom so you get the entire width of the movie or game. The next time the game has those bars, uncheck widescreen and see if it fills the screen.

So that means cbtx, Valdy, myself and some others all have the same computer problem? Selecting full screen gives me black bars down the sides. Selecting widescreen does nothing or, depending on the developer, gives me the game displayed covering the entire screen with no black bars anywhere.

It would be of interest if you could explain how it has to be my PC that has the problem when some games do play in widescreen; Fear For Sale: Sunnyvale Story, Beauty and the Beast. all the MKFTP games, Pioneer Lands are a few that come to mind. Surely if it was a computer issue, no game would display widescreen.

sonofstar
Herring
Herring
361 Posts

[Post New]by sonofstar on Jan 10, 12 4:50 PM
I didn't even finish the demo for this game. You know, if I wanted to do depressed and anxious, I can do that all by my lonesome. I play computer games to give myself a break between projects and RELAX! That game is just creepy and nauseating. Not for me.

[Post New]by KaraWinters on Jan 11, 12 4:04 AM
I feel a bit jilted to be honest. I love the graphics and there was a lot of potential in the storyline, but it feels like they only kept it up long enough for the demo to last and that is it.

The first half of the game was wonderful with the voices interjecting and the sudden cut scenes. I really thought they were going to play up on the hallucinations like that one hide and find scene in the first half. Its almost as if they only worked hard enough for you to buy it. You're left alone for the second half, no voices or hallucinations reminding you that you were drugged. I also felt the twist, while it has potential throws the intro itself completely out of whack, while with stories like this intros are supposed to be misleading they are also supposed to hide grains of truth. There isn't that.

There is also a glitch in the game that allows you to see all the vial bottles before getting them all.

And finally I also question if there is an alternative ending. If there isn't there is something seriously not organized and I know the SG didn't say anything but I know I left at least four puzzles undone and still finished the game. So is that a case of unfinished programming or another ending?

[Post New]by sharonamato on Feb 26, 12 6:12 PM
Fear for Sale: Sunnyvale

Mr_Krabs
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Krabs on May 1, 13 12:33 PM
Just finished playing this game on my iPad and agree with a lot of the comments I've read - it did seem as if the developers ran out of ideas and it got progressively less scary (I like scary). But the thing that I really don't understand is the bit with the phone. Did I miss something? Why did I have to scatter the parts and hide part of it behind a wall?

Go to: