xxybcc
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

Re: Reviews for Mystical Island

[Post New]by xxybcc on Jan 10, 12 12:00 PM
I had a bunch of coupons and I bought this game. It actually is not a bad game. Yes, I had a problem with the translation. There was way too much dialogue. But, overall it was just the type of game I wanted to play today. No haunted house, no ghosts, no amusement parks. There is most certainly room for improvement, I suggest others try it before making up their minds based on the forum reviews. What may not appeal to some may appeal to others.

[Post New]by 70summerfield on Jan 10, 12 12:01 PM
The only good thing I can say about this game is that it plays on my Netbook, unlike many of the games lately. But the game is beyond boring,going from HOS to HOS. I'll save my coupons.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jan 10, 12 12:11 PM
Well, I played the demo, it has a nice opening and nice scenery, the music is not bad, the dialog boxes were OK, no something I prefer, I had some problems with finding objects but thats all.

No a bad game, it is a HOG after all, if you are used to the more high end looking and playing games this one will not meet to your expectations.

Bellsprout
Salmon
Salmon
2,692 Posts

[Post New]by Bellsprout on Jan 10, 12 2:05 PM
On a scale of 1 to 10 - this is a 1. The English translation is appallingly bad, including mistranslation of many of the objections in the H0 scenes. Even when you figure out what is really meant in the story scenes, the dialogue is almost unbelievably stilted. H0 scenes were somewhat blurry, I couldn't actually see many of the objects.
IMHO, this game should have been beneath BFG standards.

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Jan 10, 12 2:07 PM
cbtx wrote:This game is from a dev I am not familiar with---HBM

From their website, it looks as though this is their first entry into the HOG market (previous games are action types), so I think we need to cut them some slack for starting the learning curve. Perhaps the reviews here will give them a better insight into the tastes of their market.

I like the look of the graphics, though.

[Post New]by doofenschmurtz on Jan 10, 12 9:25 PM
BFG What happened to quality control.I can't believe you put this game out on the market!

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Jan 10, 12 9:56 PM

I played the whole demo.

My main problem with it is that there are no environment sounds to let you know that you are, indeed, on a tropical island. That, and the music (short looped) seemed more like it would suit a spaghetti western film.

The graphics were a bit dark but quite nice, actually. There were little animations, also, that were good.

A good effort by, I presume, a new developer. I couldn't get excited enough about the game to buy, but I wish this new group well and I'd be happy to see any new, improved, offering.

[Post New]by superchevyguy on Jan 11, 12 12:26 AM
Id rate this game at about a 3 out of 10. very glitchy, didn't keep my interest, tired of waiting for things to load and useless dialog scenes.

Rose151
Clownfish
Clownfish
520 Posts

[Post New]by Rose151 on Jan 11, 12 12:27 AM
cbtx wrote:Addendum to the previous review:

I went back and checked the strategy guide and was really amazed as to the detailed page by page and step by step help that it offers--it adds a LOT to the desirability of the game. It is located in the "help" section of the main menu. A great idea, and a real surprise. And, amazingly, the guide has only a stray error or two in translation, unlike the text of the game itself.
But seriously, the guide is better than some of the ones I've seen in some recent CEs.
Kudos to the dev team for this addition to the game!

I have to agree with everything you've said, not only here, but in your previous post. I think this is a great game and got it with a coupon. Honestly speaking, I'd have bought it if that had been my only option.
What I like is the attention to detail and the clear graphics.
The monkey with the pipe and the dog with the bone are just a few "extras" that this developer put in, along with the picture of Groucho Marx in the Editor's office. Many times, (and I have been guilty of this as well) we are so busy looking for things that we don't take in the picture as a whole.
If I see another game by this developer, I will certainly give it my full attention.

Sheila155
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by Sheila155 on Jan 11, 12 4:20 AM
I didn't like this game. Too repetitive and boring. All about finding things----then being told what to do with them ( as if you couldn't work it out for yourself!)-------a minigame after you do the required searching, and most of these were simple and i didn't find anything new in them.
The game has a very 'old' feel and look to it, like games that were out 5 or 6 years ago. **** scenes were not very clear at times, although when required to find multiples of things (eg 20 photographs) they were much more visible.
I particularly disliked the out of focus scenes----made me feel a bit nauseous----and all the people jumping in and out to talk. I know you can skip the dialogue, but if you want to follow the story you need to read it, even if the translation isn't very good! To be honest, I understood most of what they were trying to say.
There were a few items in the **** scenes that weren't well translated, and that was a bigger problem---used the hint button a couple of times with these.
I persevered for my hour's trial, in the vain hope it might improve as it went along.
Wish I could find something positive to say about it, but this gane is definitely not for me! Sorry!

ruthb1146
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by ruthb1146 on Jan 11, 12 5:44 AM
THEY REMOVED MY REPLY BECAUSE I SAID THE TRUTH, THAT THE GAME WAS TERRIBLE.....TERRIBLE......TERRIBLE.......DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Jan 11, 12 7:40 AM
Review after playing demo:

I don't think I like this game.

To me, the graphics are "harsh" (other than the characters). Music? I turned on the speakers for a minute to listen but turned them back off - I don't normally use speakers but just wanted to listen a bit. The hint button recharges very quickly...and I did need it to find a couple of items in the H0 scenes because of the dark areas where they were hidden. I like to be able to see the whole list of what I need to find at one time...not finding a few then more being added to the list.

Bringing items to use from the inventory required "dragging" them rather than the click-and-use that I am used to seeing. The puzzles weren't too hard but in one of them after I completed it, I couldn't go to the next scene so I thought I'd done something wrong. I used the hint button but it didn't show anything I'd missed so I tried skipping the puzzle but had to click twice to get it to skip. And some didn't have very clear instructions.

Some items were "misnamed" according to what I'm used to but it really didn't bother me because if I couldn't find an item I clicked on what it might be until I found it...most of the time. Some were extremely well-hidden in the dark areas of the screen. The dialog was a bit "different" but that is to be expected in that every developer doesn't speak English and somethings might be lost in translation. Again, that didn't bother me.

What I didn't like was there was "too much talk and not enough action". I have made it to the scene with STD...and I do not like those at all!

I will think a bit more before getting this game but I am afraid that I will pass it by.

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Jan 11, 12 10:09 AM
Well, I gave it about 30 minutes. Not a very good game. Very boring. I have been spoiled by way better games.

[Post New]by CinJoy on Jan 11, 12 4:44 PM
Very slow and boring. Not remotely fun. I lasted 16 minutes with the sound off and will not finish the demo.

kpacoma
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by kpacoma on Jan 13, 12 6:49 AM
Simple, beautiful
I like it!

[Post New]by Littleswimmer on Jan 15, 12 1:26 AM
This makes the third game in a row I have tried, and did not like. I am glad I closed my account because I am just not finding any good games on BF any more.

Becca_jxxx
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Becca_jxxx on Jan 16, 12 11:41 AM
I do not like this game, I found it boring and the mistakes in the dialogue annoyed me. I did not like the puzzles. It does have good graphics though.

Not a buy for me.

Edited on 01/16/2012 at 11:44:21 AM PST

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Jan 21, 12 6:41 AM
Well, this was a bizarre game. Pay heed to all the negative reviews here because basically everything that was written is true. There is a good chance that you won't like this game.

However, for some even more bizarre reason, I actually completed the game. What makes it even stranger is that I hate HOS and this game was loaded with them. Yes, the dialogue had very bad translation, but it didn't bother me; it made me laugh. There was way too much dialogue and no voices, so after awhile, I just clicked through the dialogue. There was also no navigating through the game. You never walked from scene to scene and picked things up along the way. Basically, you'd start a scene by talking to a character and then do a HOS or 2. Then there would be a mini-game, then more dialogue, then a few more HOS and then another mini-game, and then you change to a new location and repeat the routine. You also play as 2 players; a man and a woman.

So from my description the game sounds awful. However, it actually was pretty good. The main reasons were that it was very easy to get around the minor random-click penalty, so I random-clicked away and the hint meter recharged in about 22 seconds, so the HOS really weren't that bad at all. Also, some of them I actually liked (gasp). I liked the ones where you had to find 24 scraps of a newspaper or 24 photos. They were pretty easy. There are also some spot the differences games. The mini-games were different and for some reason the game held my interest. I hadn't played many games during the holidays, so maybe that's why I thought this game was okay.

I rate it a 5 out of 10.

Edited on 01/21/2012 at 6:44:15 AM PST

bfgHondo
Manatee
Manatee
3,712 Posts

[Post New]by bfgHondo on Jan 24, 12 1:56 PM
Hi fishies,

I know this is the review thread, but I just wanted to let you know that we've released an update for this game that includes updated text to improve the English throughout the game.

For more information on how to get the newest version of this game, please click on the following link:

UPDATE! New version available for Mystical Island! January 24, 2012

Now, back to the reviews!

-bfgHondo

Edited on 01/24/2012 at 1:56:16 PM PST

FishyFemale
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,174 Posts

[Post New]by FishyFemale on Jan 10, 13 9:55 AM
Well, it's been a whole year since the last post to this thread which should tell you something. I saw that it's offered as the DD today and with the almost unanimous one star votes it got, I wondered why. I read how awful it was with the missnamed items and poor dialog since English isn't the native tongue of the devs, so why didn't they get translators to proofread it? I wanted to check it out for myself because of its unintentional humor because of all its flaws. Although the misslabelings had been fixed and the story moved along smoothly, it loaded slowly and completely froze out my computer and I couldn't even break out of it normally and had to push the on/off button. Ultimately, I uninstalled it because of this since the scenes took too long to load. I'm wondering, though, why this is offered as a DD to the club members since it's so poorly rated and reviewed. I'm not a club member but I'd be ticked to pay monthly fees to have this lower quality game offered as a DD.

Edited on 01/10/2013 at 9:58:15 AM PST

Go to: