gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

Re:Reviews for House of 1000 Doors: Family Secrets

[Post New]by gingergal on Apr 24, 12 4:25 AM
When I first played a few minutes of this I thought it would be super easy but it wasn’t. Just got round to playing it and I really enjoyed it.

Morphs on a SE, really appreciate that. I liked the puzzles, the setting and gameplay. Some of the hidden object scenes weren’t junk pile and they were all interactive. I did have to replay them a few times which I don’t like. They also had mega sparkles on them on advanced setting which I don’t like. But they didn’t have a random click penalty so that was good.

Apparently there was a transporter map which I completely missed. but the backtracking wasn't excessive. I also missed quite a few morphs, as I was concentrating on gameplay.

Interesting plot and a good length of game play (over 6 hrs on hard, rare hints, no walkthrough.) I appreciated the SE ending 100% complete. I am glad I didn't buy the CE as this was long and I was ready for it to finish.

I had a couple of minor glitches – hint button wouldn’t work sometimes and the log puzzle was so fiddly. I had them in the right place but had to redo it 3 times before it registered.
Really a very good and enjoyable game.

out of 5 (I keep 5 stars for excellent games)

meanbusiness
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by meanbusiness on Apr 27, 12 5:31 PM
All the perc points have been listed. I would just like to say this has been a stunning game from the first page to the last page of the bonus game. Story a winner, graphics beautiful, game play really fun and the length absolutely super. Worth every penny of the CE price.........

[Post New]by Ancientsymbols on May 16, 12 1:28 PM
I really enjoyed this game, loved everything about it.

Fifiluna614
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by Fifiluna614 on May 30, 12 12:21 AM
I played bought House of 1000 Doors: The Palm of Zoroaster first, & now it looks like I'll be buying House of 1000 Doors: Family Secrets, too. I just finished 40 minutes of the demo, & altho it doesn't look like it will have quite as exotic locales to visit as Palm of Zoroaster, it still has the same beautiful graphics & fun gameplay. A tiny quibble in that the puzzles are super easy, but that's not necessarily a bad thing because they don't slow the pace of the game. The objects in the HO scenes are clear & easy to spot, so they make you go thru an extra step in order to retrieve half of them. But that's OK too because it usually just means opening a box or a drawer or hitting something with a hammer. They are the kind of HO scenes where once you find objects, new ones replace them, so there are a lot of objects to find.
The story line also appears to be slightly less exotic: you are trying to put souls to rest & clear their good names as opposed to locating crystal skulls in order to kill a demon. But the game moves along at the same crisp pace as the other one & I already found myself wanting to see more. I never even glanced at the walkthru for either game because the hint button points you in the right direction if you get stuck, there's an interactive map, & the puzzles need no extra clarification. If you prefer games that are really tricky & super-challenging, then this one may not be for you. But if you like ones that make you think WITHOUT pulling your hair out by the roots (like me!), then you'll probably love it.

GAME COMPLETED SEVERAL TIMES

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Feb 15, 13 5:00 AM
GAME COMPLETED SEVERAL TIMES

Wonderful Game

Developer: **** Games Five-BN
Release Date: Jan 2012
Extras: none

Great concept for a game – a ghost house that has an uncountable number of doors to other places and times. Plenty of room for many sequels that still allow an infinite variety of adventures.

The game also has excellent graphics, quite different characters, and beautiful ambient sound and music. I loved the HOs with their high degree of interactivity and quality graphics, but there was a greater emphasis on the adventure aspects, which were very well done.

There was some degree of travel involved, and a map might have been a good idea, but I managed without. Hint directs you to the right location without requiring refill time, so it’s a good navigational tool.

There are the ever-popular morphing objects, not necessarily easy to find, and once you’ve completed a particular adventure, you can’t go back to get them, so keep your eyes peeled!

Highly recommended.

Edited on 02/22/2013 at 4:57:40 AM PST

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Apr 5, 13 7:22 PM
This is the best game I've played in a long time. Graphics are great, music is just right, w/s fit beautifully, and the story line was awesome. I like these kinds of games where you have to explore an old house. Even thought there are portals, it was not disconnected from the main game. Everything flowed logically, didn't use hint button or map at all. Really no need. There's a lot to do, but even the puzzles were fun! This game is excellent and I strongly recommend it, if you like rummaging around old houses!!

[Post New]by Claire_2 on Apr 12, 13 11:52 PM
I really enjoyed this game. The HOs are nicely interactive, and the mini games are good, although a bit too easy. The characters and cut scenes are a bit outdated and are not as polished as the rest of the game. This is the first House of a Thousand Doors I've gotten into the Beyond Objects. Nice touch. Keeps one interested. I was a little disappointed when I played through the second time to find the rest of the Beyond objects; (only found 34, so I'll be playing again) the HO scenes didn't change.After finding this forum while trying to figure out what you get if you find them all, it seems that the game designers would realize that a lot of us re-play and it would be better if the HOs changed. It would make it more interesting. All in all, though, an excellant game. Can't wait for the next one!

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Jun 10, 13 4:04 AM
I bought this game quite some time ago and played it without reviewing it. I just finished it again, and there was much that I did not recall from the first playing. Could it be that different each time it's played?
gingergal wrote:I had a couple of minor glitches – hint button wouldn’t work sometimes and the log puzzle was so fiddly.

I also had trouble with the hint button not working for a few minutes, and the map wasn't working either, but it wasn't a serious problem, and after a bit all was well again.

I didn't think the continuity was all that great, and it did get tedious toward the end. But I would still give it a solid four stars!

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Aug 1, 13 7:09 PM
I just got around to playing this game. really enjoyed it.

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Oct 31, 13 4:46 PM
A very good game I originally bought a couple of months ago just because it completed my 3 'House of a Thousand Doors' collection and I played it first and not very enthusiastically until I started to get into it very good graphics, sound, Jump map, Morphing objects and music that tended to make me sleepy
After reading so many positive reviews I can see why so many liked it, and looking forward to playing the other 2
The game played smoothly and I recall no frustrations in storyline and give it a
and1/2 for enjoyable game

Go to: