moonweaver
Flounder
Flounder
2,108 Posts

Re:Reviews for Brink of Consciousness: Dorian Gray Syndrome

[Post New]by moonweaver on Jul 3, 12 1:31 AM
I finally finished the game tonight. I had started it weeks ago, then got stuck and went on to other games. When I went back to it, I couldn't remember much about it, so started over with another identity. This time I used BF's walkthrough when I got very stuck and couldn't figure what to do next, or how to do it.

I found the game very creepy, and I don't usually like creepy, but I admit I was hooked. Like most of you fishies, I got lost quite a few times, wandering around trying to find the area I needed to go to. In real life, I get lost easily, and I'm no different in this kind of game. If the map had transported me to areas I had been once, it would have been easier.

The puzzles were challenging, but I managed to finish most of them without skipping. The few I skipped were usually because I didn't understand the mechanics of how to manipulate the game pieces.

HOG scenes were fun; I like it when you have to combine two objects in order to get the one you need, and there were a couple of those in every Hidden Object scene.

All in all, a long and interesting game. I'm a slow player, so perhaps found it longer than some fishies.

But now back to the new Flux Family game, which is much lighter. I need a break from goosebumps!

PS: I also only bought the SE, so don't know what the real end is. But I'm assuming that somehow, Oscar survived, to terrify again in the future.

Re: the reference to Dorian Gray; in the original book, and the movie, Dorian Gray was a narcissist. He couldn't bear the thought of growing older, so made a pact with the "devil", so to speak. As mentioned, the portrait of him as a young man aged, and also showed the degradation of his soul, so he hid it in a closet. His physical self remained untouched by time or experience, until the end.

boobailey
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by boobailey on Sep 13, 12 5:48 AM
Loved this game. Lot's of fun and full of spooky creepy game play. The graphic's were perfect. The narrator was creepy. The puzzles and HOS were fun. I have both games and recemmend them both.

77Emma77
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by 77Emma77 on Sep 17, 12 3:05 PM
how does the story conclude? will he try it again, hence an open end so that there will be another to the series?

[Post New]by RenaissanceMom on Sep 25, 12 9:36 PM
Quite a long game and the nicest assortment of puzzles - most of them unique - that I've seen in a long time! You sure couldn't say you run out of things to do and places to go.

Very smooth functions and the voice acting was pretty good, but OMG can that guy talk! I had to cut him off at every sentence because he was driving me batty.

Highly recommended and quite a lot of fun!

doziedoats
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by doziedoats on Nov 16, 12 1:49 AM
This was the best game that I have played in a heck of a long time. For that matter, forever. As far as the people that are crying about the "nothing to do in the room right now". So what. It just means I don't have have to go through every item in the room. Also for the person talking about the maps being worthless. Wrong. Once you have caught on to them it really simplified the game. All around I am a pretty happy camper. A big thumbs up!

[Post New]by dimichan on Nov 23, 12 11:19 PM
I find myself agreeing with Gingergal.

The good:

The voiceovers rocked. Atmosphere A+

Graphics were pretty good. Having just finished up "Surface: The Noise She Couldn't Make" I can say there was room for improvement - but - that said? Still very good.

Nice story/plot. Seeing the childhood revelations as you go along was great. Some sympathy for the villain sure didn't make him less creeptastic.

The only MAJOR drawback for me was the tremendous amount of real estate with no transport map. I mean seriously, there would only be ONE item and one interactive item/minipuzzle in each room, the rest was travel time and a lot of it. If you absolutely hate backtracking and a lot of running around - it may well spoil the game for you.

It didn't spoil it for me - but unlike some other games, I had to do this one over a period of days - my head was more involved trying to keep a mental map of what was where than anything else, and that DID interfere with some of the fantastic immersion into the atmosphere of this game.

Overall very nice, but I'd give it a B due to the running, when the rest of the experience deserved an A+.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jan 11, 13 11:15 AM
this is a well & crafty game. GREAT for HOS lovers, it has a good plot and puzzles. we recommend this one, 5 stars.----------doug & lisa

[Post New]by tigerlpn on Feb 21, 13 9:29 AM
Terrific game, wonderful graphics, very scary. I'm glad I didn't finish it at night or I would not have been able to sleep. Enjoyed this completely. I love games that challenge me. Thank you, BFG.

Apadenska
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by Apadenska on Mar 4, 13 2:01 AM
I almost drowned with all the twists and turns in this game. I creeped myself out by playing it in my den with the lights turned out. I raced through the game in casual mode, even skipped a few puzzles when I realized how long they would take. It's almost 2 am so I best hide under the covers. The only thing else I will say, is there is lots of suspense!

Mapsman
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by Mapsman on Mar 4, 13 4:00 PM
Interesting game. I'm about 60% through it. I have to keep exiting because the travel back and forth is wearing me out. This game would really be improved by a transport map. I don't like games that are long just because I have to keep walking all over the place to find one item, then back to use the item. After a while, I just don't care any more. Keep the darn girl. I'm going out for pizza and a beer.

armadillogirl
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by armadillogirl on Mar 12, 13 5:32 PM
Well, I got headaches trying to 'return' to places I'd already been. I spent more time wondering around looking for where I needed to be than actually playing the game. If it were easier to get around, I might have enjoyed this game.

GAME COMPLETED SEVERAL TIMES

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Mar 14, 13 6:33 AM
GAME COMPLETED SEVERAL TIMES
Top Quality Game

Story: Become Sam Wilde, an investigative journalist, and pit your wits against the murderous genius known only as Oscar. Oscar has your fiancé, and while threatening her, he plays a maddening game with you, in which you must solve the puzzles and escape traps he has set for you in his hideout, a labyrinthine old mansion.

Developer: Magicindie Softworks
Release Date: Jan 2012
Extras: Interactive Map, Film Grain Option

This is an elegantly designed, superior game, serious and challenging, with a disturbing story aimed at grownups.

For me, it is its atmosphere that makes this game. The quality of the visuals is exceptional throughout. The interactive HO scenes are clear and relatively easy, though they play with the lighting a bit. Watch for some interesting uses of light to add realism.

Oscar’s voice actor gives an award-winning performance and just gets creepier and more oppressive. You, on the other hand, have only a range of grunts, sighs and coughs for expressing yourself. Along with a subtle but effective musical score, this game’s sound is at least as important as the visuals in creating a truly chilling atmosphere.

As well, the game is not easy. Despite an excellent interactive (not jump) map, just getting around the enormous mansion is tricky. There are a lot of puzzles and some of them are quite difficult. It'll keep you on your toes.

Go to: