MarkAlan
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

Re:Reviews for Otherworld: Spring of Shadows Collector's Edition

[Post New]by MarkAlan on Jan 22, 12 6:34 AM
The graphics are not my cup of tea, but I did like the fairy tale element. Did anyone notice that there's been no problem posting the name of the developer "BoomZap" here in the forum? Is that because if you purchase a game from their website it goes to Big Fish Games webpage?

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 22, 12 6:39 AM
MarkAlan wrote:The graphics are not my cup of tea, but I did like the fairy tale element. Did anyone notice that there's been no problem posting the name of the developer "BoomZap" here in the forum? Is that because if you purchase a game from their website it goes to Big Fish Games webpage?

Yes, that is correct. As long the developers don't sell the games directly from their own site, and have a link-back to here, then we can say the name.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jan 22, 12 6:42 AM
Valdy wrote:
MarkAlan wrote:The graphics are not my cup of tea, but I did like the fairy tale element. Did anyone notice that there's been no problem posting the name of the developer "BoomZap" here in the forum? Is that because if you purchase a game from their website it goes to Big Fish Games webpage?

Yes, that is correct. As long the developers don't sell the games directly from their own site, and have a link-back to here, then we can say the name.

I wondered about that too, but that explains it.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Jan 22, 12 7:01 AM
Another hit for BoomZap!

At first I thought Great More Black Smoke to get Rid Of. You don't have to though.

I played the demo on Casual mode but there are 3 modes to choose from! It came right up wide enough to fill my 17" screen .

Started out with good voice overs but they are there sometimes and others not. The graphics I found beautiful!

Like most BoomZap the hidden object scenes are not a list of items but find many of one item. I like this for a change.

Mini games are on the easy side but a lot of fun,unusual and skippable.

The SG stays with you as you play but you don't actually need it as far as I am concerned. The hint tells you what you need to do next if you are stuck. As far as I can tell by the SG the length looks good.

I really found the sound effects rather relaxing. There are birds tweeting and waterfalls that are comforting.

I definitely give this 5 out of 5 but since I have a couple CE's that I want first and I don't think I need the SG I think I will wait for the SE on this. Gotta cut corners somewhere right?

Great Game! Have Fun Fishies!!!!

Edited on 01/23/2012 at 3:57:07 AM PST

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Jan 22, 12 7:03 AM
I have already posted one review and I must say the game is nice but the longer I played it the worse it started to look the graphics are grainy and hazy looking and there are just way too many puzzles. Although this is a nice game it has turned into a disappointment for me. I don't mind some puzzles but that is just about all you get with this game with the exception of a few hidden scenes if that is what you can call them since all you need to find is a certain number of one item or pairs I was hoping it would be a few more hidden scenes but all I keep getting are puzzles and the game is becoming too tedious with all the puzzles and grainy graphics. The first creature I came upon was the fawn looking fairy the closer I got to her the worse she looked so I said okay maybe she was suppose to look that way but as I kept playing the game some scenes just got worse and worse just way too grainy and from there the game just went down hill for me and I just quit and removed the game and will not be finishing it the graphics are just way too grainy and too many puzzles, sorry but this one has turned out to be a disappointment especially after Maestro, although this one is still a nice game.

Edited on 01/22/2012 at 7:41:43 AM PST

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Jan 22, 12 7:15 AM
This review is based on the demo version. But up front I'll tell you I don't know if I have enough superlative adjectives in my vocabulary to do justice to this game.

Otherworld: Spring of Shadows is an amazingly beautiful and mysterious game - and most definitely otherworldly. Up front options include sliders for music and sound and buttons for fullscreen and custom cursor. (Widescreen support is automatic ) There are three play modes: Casual - with hints, skips and guided help; Expert - hints, skips and less guided help; plus a new mode added by the developer - Hardcore - no hints, no skips and no guided help (thank you so very, very much! You guys are so responsive to your fans! ) I'm going to be busy all day with this one!!!

What an enchanting story! This is the way to use children in a mystery - weave them into a gorgeous, yet sinister fairy tale type plot. The graphics are so breathtaking you want to reach out and touch things. And thank you for giving us a break from junk pile HOS. The voice acting is wonderful and the cut scenes flawlessly done. The music fits the mood and the game so perfectly and is easy to listen to while playing. It enhances the total game experience.

And as if the above weren't enough - there are achievements and extra items to find, too! My cup truly runneth over with this game.

I've got to get back to the game, but had to stop to give my preliminary review. This one is definitely a keeper - but I'm not at all surprised because Chris and his team never let me down.

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Jan 22, 12 7:17 AM
I love game and will be buying it! I have many of this developers games. There are three levels to choose from. SG actually stays open where you leave it and even opens to where you are when you need it. Good graphics, not too dark..which is a pet peeve of mine. You have to find gems, spiders, pottery parts...not exactly easy but not too dark to not be able to find the items. The music is rather soothing...instead of annoying. Lots of puzzles that are interesting.

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Jan 22, 12 7:47 AM
Review after demo:
Quite a nice game and I love playing it. The graphics are very very nice as is the animation within the H0 scenes. I like the interaction in the scenes also. Music - I listened to it just a bit to hear how it sounds and it seems quite appropriate to the game. I glanced at the SG to have a look at it and it does seem very helpful. I like the journal as it has 3 tabs for different info including a task list which I always like to find in a journal. Three levels of difficulty and achievements to accomplish - another plus. The story is somewhat "different" and I love the fantasy aspect. The H0 scenes aren't too prolific in the demo. The hint system works very well both in and out of the H0 scenes, and refills fairly quickly. The puzzles are "doable" without too much difficulty except one where I didn't fully understand the instructions. (I played the 'mid-level" difficulty.) I always like being able to "click outside the box" to close and not having to click the "X".

All in all, a very good game and I will buy it as a CE tomorrow when my next game credit will be available.

darksprires
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by darksprires on Jan 22, 12 8:26 AM
Not a buy for me. I really don't see why it is needful to have someone with a speech impediment doing the voice over. Aside from that, some of the scenes were grainy and there seemed to be a lot of mini games with not many clues to find.

I can't see this being agreeable as and SE game and I have much better options to use up my free coupons than this. Maybe in a year or two, if there is nothing else of any interest?

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Jan 22, 12 8:29 AM
hog scene mini review

wow..so many different styles of hog scenes....i am anticipating the next scene to see whats next,,,highlight to see what i have discovered so far,

they gave us regular hog scenes, fragmented, riddles,,like items, items related to each other,....awesome

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Jan 22, 12 8:54 AM
I really enjoyed the game and the bonus play- this is a lovely game overall with beautiful graphics.

When I started playing and there was a monster, wasn't that keen and I really did not start enjoying the game until the 2nd chapter started - then the game started to feel a bit more varied, colorful and a lot more interesting.

My one criticism is the skip button- (played casual mode here) there are so many puzzles- I cannot say too many as some folks might like to do every one of them but I got tired of doing the jigsaw and matching ones - and the skip button really took far too long- and a few did not even have a skip which annoyed me.

Apart from that this game is great if you like puzzle adventures, very few HOG scenes and what ones there were are interesting, l like the related pairs scenes.

The game took me over 6 hours to play (a lot of time waiting for that skip button and I am slow take my time) the bonus a good hour at least.

I will rate the game 4 and a half- loses half because of the long skip button time!

Great Job BoomZap!

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jan 22, 12 8:58 AM
Cute and pretty game with very nice graphics it looks like an alternative version to Alice in Wonderland, Like the music the adventure rather than cluttered HOS, we go around finding the objects to advance in the game.

Very nice for a change.

Definitely a buy for me.

Rainbow722
Flounder
Flounder
2,404 Posts

[Post New]by Rainbow722 on Jan 22, 12 9:16 AM
Thank you Boomzap and BF for a dual release!
I'll be getting the Mac version as soon as I can (money a bit tight right now).

Fun and beautiful game!

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Jan 22, 12 9:17 AM
Bored after 15 min, not my cup of tea !!!

sfcali
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by sfcali on Jan 22, 12 9:36 AM
This review is based on the first two chapters.

Approximately 6 hours with bonus content. It took me nearly an hour just to complete the first chapter, but I'm the type of player who likes to indulge in the surroundings and "staging" of each scene.

Atmosphere is just as important as anything else in a game and this has lots of fantasy ambiance in every detail from the style of artwork to the genre of music.

But it is in the story where Otherworld takes highest marks -- this is a story-centered adventure game, not a simple Hidden Object Game. You'll find very few hidden object scenes and the ones you do come across are not your typical-throw-a-bunch-of-random-items-at-you-in-a-messy-pile search scenes. That's absolutely fabulous in my book because I find most hidden object scenes to be arbitrary and annoying. Just how many times must we, over and over, search for cigars, baby bottles and hacksaws? Who even keeps all those objects in one spot, anyhow?

So, if you're a lover of H.O.G.s and that's what you expect to get, then this may disappoint. If you prefer story and atmosphere, Otherworld is very good.... think Azada: In Libro here. Lots of puzzles (although they are rather on the easy side) and a very interesting story about a girl trapped in the fairy dimension.

The C.E. gives you an excellent strategy guide built right into the game... it's neatly laid out with both pictures and textual instructions, opening to the part where you currently need to get through. There's also a bonus chapter (which I haven't tried yet) and achievements to earn.

A side quest to find all the hidden fairies throughout the game is also fun... I'm not sure if that's bonus content or part of the general game, though.

Finally, if you're tired of blue and hazy spooky games, while Otherworld does have a scary villain in it, the colors are bright and usually sunny. Very nice change from all the horror titles seen on BFG.

I recommend this game!

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Jan 22, 12 10:05 AM
sfcali wrote:This review is based on the first two chapters.

Approximately 6 hours with bonus content. It took me nearly an hour just to complete the first chapter, but I'm the type of player who likes to indulge in the surroundings and "staging" of each scene.

Atmosphere is just as important as anything else in a game and this has lots of fantasy ambiance in every detail from the style of artwork to the genre of music.

But it is in the story where Otherworld takes highest marks -- this is a story-centered adventure game, not a simple Hidden Object Game. You'll find very few hidden object scenes and the ones you do come across are not your typical-throw-a-bunch-of-random-items-at-you-in-a-messy-pile search scenes. That's absolutely fabulous in my book because I find most hidden object scenes to be arbitrary and annoying. Just how many times must we, over and over, search for cigars, baby bottles and hacksaws? Who even keeps all those objects in one spot, anyhow?

So, if you're a lover of H.O.G.s and that's what you expect to get, then this may disappoint. If you prefer story and atmosphere, Otherworld is very good.... think Azada: In Libro here. Lots of puzzles (although they are rather on the easy side) and a very interesting story about a girl trapped in the fairy dimension.

The C.E. gives you an excellent strategy guide built right into the game... it's neatly laid out with both pictures and textual instructions, opening to the part where you currently need to get through. There's also a bonus chapter (which I haven't tried yet) and achievements to earn.

A side quest to find all the hidden fairies throughout the game is also fun... I'm not sure if that's bonus content or part of the general game, though.

Finally, if you're tired of blue and hazy spooky games, while Otherworld does have a scary villain in it, the colors are bright and usually sunny. Very nice change from all the horror titles seen on BFG.

I recommend this game!

Thanks, you nailed it for me with your review, I'm buying!! Like you, love to 'dwell' and soak in all the surroundings while playing, even though I play on expert (and this game offers HARDCORE, yay!). So far lots of uniqueness in this game and gorgeous, whimsical fantasy detail. 6 hours sounds good yet also agree with other posters re: quality vs quantity. SO, it's.. HI H0, HI H0, off adventuring I go, (Can't contain my excitement)

Edited on 01/22/2012 at 10:19:27 AM PST

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jan 22, 12 10:09 AM

I recommend this game!

Brilliant - totally agree. Thank you!

fireeyes5
Minnow
Minnow
205 Posts

[Post New]by fireeyes5 on Jan 22, 12 10:56 AM
A definite buy for me...thank you BF and developers for a great game. I love the art and the game overall.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Jan 22, 12 10:58 AM
FORTUNATUS wrote:

I recommend this game!

Thanks, you nailed it for me with your review, I'm buying!! Like you, love to 'dwell' and soak in all the surroundings while playing, even though I play on expert (and this game offers HARDCORE, yay!). So far lots of uniqueness in this game and gorgeous, whimsical fantasy detail. 6 hours sounds good yet also agree with other posters re: quality vs quantity. SO, it's.. HI H0, HI H0, off adventuring I go, (C

Joyfullady
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,498 Posts

[Post New]by Joyfullady on Jan 22, 12 10:59 AM
This posting has been edited to make a change in my first impressions of the game being occult in nature based on the demo! This is a copy of my apology to Chris and the team!

"Chris, I wish to apologize to you and your team for my postings about your latest venture. I am a huge fan of Boomzap and especially the Awakening series. So when I saw the mythological creatures in the demo appearing as demons from the underworld - I was shocked and so disappointed thinking your group had sold out to those who are persuaded they can't make a game without it being full of the occult, dark side, blood and death - I cried and was outraged. It took a great deal of coaxing from some lovely friends to get me to view the walk through of the SE and then to purchase the game and try it yesterday.

Currently my 86 year old mother and I are on our sixth hour of game play, without skipping any part of it! The game is incredible and as beautiful and enchanting as the Awakening series! The coy pond still fascinates us. If the ending is as good as what we have played so far I will probably ask to exchange it for the CE!

Thank you, and again my apologies - I will change my comments to reflect the same! "

Edited on 02/19/2012 at 10:04:29 AM PST

Go to: