Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

Re:Reviews for Midnight Mysteries: Haunted Houdini Deluxe

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Jan 28, 12 3:05 PM
spikescajunmom wrote:...You find clovers throughout the game for a special extra, don't know what. You also search for ravens to get additional hints.

If you find 40 clovers, you unlock the Unlimited Hidden Object Scene mode. Playing all of those extra hidden object scenes is one of the Achievements. They differ from the h.o.'s in the game in that there are 4 or 5 pages of items to find in each h.o. You very nearly empty the h.o. scene by the time you are done. I missed a couple of the clovers, so am playing again to get the "find all 70 clovers" achievement.

Liasmani
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
19,504 Posts

[Post New]by Liasmani on Jan 28, 12 5:46 PM
Fun Factor: 5 stars
Visual/Sound Quality: 5 stars
Level of Challenge: 5 stars
Average Rating: 5 stars

Pros: Excellent visuals and sounds, variety of puzzles, cover collecting, raven collection and walk-through built in (for those who hate exiting the game and going back in.)

Con: Trekking (for those who hate it)

Disclaimer: This review is based on the game's demo.

XtreemNorth
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by XtreemNorth on Jan 28, 12 6:15 PM
I didn't even bother with the demo this time, I knew it would be a great game. what a variety of things to look for, this is great!

I'm taking my time on this one, well sorta have to, items are a little small and the scenes are on the dark side but it adds to the game.

All in all, this is one of the best games, and I hope they continue this series, totaly awesome, thankyou Big fish.

MURPHY
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,237 Posts

[Post New]by MURPHY on Jan 28, 12 6:27 PM
[removed by moderator] you really outdid yourselves with this game. It was absolutely intriguing from beginning to end. It was without a doubt one of the best games, if not the best, we've had in a very long time. The graphics were superb, storyline really held my interest, and it was the kinda game you didn't want to stop before you got to the end. It gets five stars in my book.

Edited on 02/09/2012 at 5:19:27 PM PST

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Jan 28, 12 6:36 PM
What a breath of fresh air this game was! I love the storyline (always was fascinated with the story of Harry Houdini) and the nice twists in the game. I am not crazy though about it not showing the main menu at the very start of the game. It didn't give the player a chance to realize there were achievement awards to try for. I am not a fan of them anyways, especially the ones you get that is part of advancing in the game. I do like to try for some of them though.

I do like the collectibles but not being penalized if I don't find them all (if you don't find all the clovers you can't unlock the extra hidden object games. I paid for the game, therefore I should be able to access all areas of the game.

I do wish it had a map. The graphics are clear and crisp.

I like that the devs are listening to us and not having clues/messages stay around after we have clicked on them.

It was a definite buy for me whether I had credits or not. Good offering BFG!

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Jan 28, 12 7:23 PM
Review after playing part of demo: I like this game so far.

The graphics are quite good although some areas are a bit dark in keeping with the storyline. The bits of music I listened to seemed appropriate also (but I normally don't use the speakers except to "try out" the sounds and music. There are interactions in the H0 scenes which I always like. I didn't encounter a misclick penalty although I clicked a lot to see if there was one. I like the items to find for achievements but some are really tiny and hard to see - some blend into the background or other objects so I have to look carefully. I try to find those before I do anything else in the scene because I tend to forget to look for them if I don't. There are some really "startle" moments!

The hint system works well both in and out of the H0 scenes. The puzzles thus far have not been difficult and fairly good instructions are given for them. The "journal" is nice to have. No map though and there is a good bit of "back-and-forth" but I like that in a game. I clicked for a hint outside of a H0 scene to see how it worked...and it does fine but if I had to go back several areas, the arrow pointed each step of the way until I got to where I needed to be even though I clicked the hint button only once.

I noticed that I have to wait until the "person" stops speaking in a scene before I can click on something even if I see it and know I have to pick it up. Too, I have to sometimes click on an object that I get for inventory in a H0 scene as it doesn't automatically go into inventory. There is some combining of objects to be able to use them. Sometimes these instances seem to slow me down with having to wait.

I was not very impressed with the SG when I checked it (but I normally don't use them anyway) as it doesn't seem to really keep up with where I am although it does not go back to the beginning each time which is a big plus.

I played the demo in casual mode so that may be why the above-mentioned negatives slowed the game for me. I will try in a more advanced mode to see if that helps.

I will "buy" this game with a coupon - both because I need another punch to fill a card for this month and to see if I think I will like buying DE games. It is a good "test" game for the new tier.

purplemist
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by purplemist on Jan 28, 12 8:57 PM
I like many others am a fan of the Hidden Mysteries series.
I love the dark aspect of them and find I am never bored even when I play them again and again.
Same goes for this one. I too enjoy seeing the old familair crow the office and find the clovers...which is where I go nutty..lol
Makes you feel like you have come home again after being away
Also very happy to see that some intelligence has been shown by the developers and they have made it a normal game and not an CE
With no lost to game play (so far)
Graphics great..music the same as in others very familiar love it.
Am off to buy now and finish playing.
Very happy fishie

Joyfullady
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,498 Posts

[Post New]by Joyfullady on Jan 28, 12 10:19 PM
First I love the idea of the Deluxe Editons with SE, bonus plays and none of the other junk. The price is great as well. The developers of Midnight Mysteries have a wonderful talent in presenting story lines in a unique way and they come up with some interesting mini games. I have enjoyed their games, but some of the borderline occult and paranormal items I do not care for. Until this game there has been a way to skip over most of them.

When I trialed the game I enjoyed the story line and mini games very much, knowing Houdini was a wonderful illusionist with a strong dislike of those claiming to be spiritualist. I also knew the animosity between Doyle and Houdini and the story of Houdini's wife. The mini game play were illusionist tricks and the "ESP" titled games were strategy games. The same with the illusionist table and no seances were presented except in brief in the beginning introduction. Enjoying the game play and strategy I was on the brink of should I or should I not purchase it or so I went through the SG and didn't see more then illusionist tricks. Unfortunately - the whole SG should have been presented.

After purchasing the game, again I should have checked the SG first thing - my fault entirely, but didn't want to spoil the game play. In the Mark Twain one I was able to skip over some of the game play that I objected to. There arrived a point where I discovered I would have to take part with a spiritualist using Tarot cards, a crystal ball, seance and other spiritualistic occult materials in order to sadly finish the game. I will be returning the game since I am unable to finish game play. Graphics were very good, some places were dark and some items small but it didn't detract that much from game play for me.

I would ask the developers to please create some similar games without the seances, Tarot cards etc. - with all that talent I'm sure you can come up with equally challenging and wonderful games for those of us who don't like the dark side.

schobey
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by schobey on Jan 28, 12 10:46 PM
Kudos to and the devs. This game was well worth it. The graphics, the length of the game. I give this game 5 's. Keep em coming.

[Post New]by Coronagold on Jan 28, 12 11:35 PM
No Bonus chapter. Nuff said for a CE. It's not like the graphics were as good as Snow Queen. They aren't. Bye.

grannyq
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by grannyq on Jan 29, 12 12:03 AM
Eisteepfirsich wrote:I am not a big fan from this game. I have tried this game, but didn`t liked it really. Nothing new or special with this game. For me its a no buy
Frankly, I agree with you. I bought this game but wish I had not. I found myself bored. I don,t think I,ll buy any more of these series. They seem repititious.

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Jan 29, 12 8:23 AM
Voice over has not been a strong point for the Midnight Mysteries series but the story line, graphics and sound have been. This game is one of the best for this dev.
I like the Deluxe form to the game with the SG included so that you do not have to go out of the game look at the walkthrough. I will be buying this game.

Edited on 01/29/2012 at 8:33:12 AM PST

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Jan 29, 12 8:23 AM
Loved it, loved it, loved it! What a surprise this week! I found myself so invovled in the plot that I wikipdiaed like crazy to find out more about the story. The develoers were right on it! I had no idea!
Thank you developers..a well organized and developed story,obviously well referenced, then you added gorgous art work, great graphics and head scraching games and H.O. sites. I only wished it had a bonus section so I didnt have to stop...yet.
This game is well worth owning. It takes you everywhere in this era..the hidden objects are date appropriate for the most part.
My only issue, and it is a small one, is the light show/card show between loading..it's not a bi g deal but I always had to look away so I missed the graphics in this but I figured it wasn't worth a headache.
This one is a serious keeper! Just followup on this, developers, we can't get enough.
kris

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Jan 29, 12 8:25 AM
Loved it, loved it, loved it! What a surprise this week! I found myself so invovled in the plot that I wikipdiaed like crazy to find out more about the story. The develoers were right on it! I had no idea!
Thank you developers..a well organized and developed story,obviously well referenced, then you added gorgous art work, great graphics and head scraching games and H.O. sites. I only wished it had a bonus section so I didnt have to stop...yet.
This game is well worth owning. It takes you everywhere in this era..the hidden objects are date appropriate for the most part.
My only issue, and it is a small one, is the light show/card show between loading..it's not a bi g deal but I always had to look away so I missed the graphics in this but I figured it wasn't worth a headache.
This one is a serious keeper! Just followup on this, developers, we can't get enough.
kris

nyc240
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by nyc240 on Jan 29, 12 10:08 AM
A great game. Graphics were top notch, not the usual cartoon quality so many devs love. Story was interesting, gameplay smooth and puzzles were fun. Loved it--more please!

mcbay111
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by mcbay111 on Jan 29, 12 11:42 AM
Valdy wrote:Good morning, fishies...

This review is based on the trial version, which I played in Easy mode.

There are 3 gameplay modes.

The SG (strategy guide) stays open where you left it.

There are only 2 choices for the custom cursor: large and moving, and small and still. No choice for system cursor.

There is no voice-over. [end quote]

Hi everyone. I was wondering Valdy or anyone else who can answer my question What is a voice over. I see you all reviewers use the term voice over often and I am very curious as to what you mean? Thank you so much .

pegod
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by pegod on Jan 29, 12 1:44 PM
I loved this game!! Intriguing game play. Very helpful strategy guide so there was no frustration when I got stuck. A pleasure to play. Bought it after ten minutes into the trial version. Can't wait for the next one.

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Jan 29, 12 2:27 PM
I just finished the game and I loved it. I liked having the strategy guide, it was helpful during my "what do I do now" moments, but wasn't much help with the mini games. I found the scenes rather dark, but the graphics were clear. The storyline was interesting, it puts a new spin on Houdini's life and death. It is a great addition to the Midnight Mysteries series.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jan 29, 12 4:23 PM
An excellent game. I enjoy Midnight Mystery games. I am not certain if this was to be a CE and they changed their mind. Anyway, I like it. The graphics are beautiful as usual. However, they are no voice overs and I have no ideas why did not include voice overs as they have had them in the past.

Edited on 02/09/2012 at 5:16:36 PM PST

gamer_girl_09
Guppy
Guppy
113 Posts

[Post New]by gamer_girl_09 on Jan 29, 12 7:19 PM
I downloaded the trial version and am REALLY loving this game so far. I didn't want to purchase any more games this month because I just finished filling up my second game card, but I didn't want to

Edited on 02/09/2012 at 5:17:44 PM PST

Go to: