Catfish_girl
Manatee
Manatee
3,605 Posts

Re:Group play for Scratches has started, you are welcome to join in.

[Post New]by Catfish_girl on Jan 28, 12 8:41 AM
Not a happy camper myself right now My game froze on me when I exited one of the upstairs room, the in game hint system suggested that I had forgotten something and then it froze. Lost quite some progress, which I have to redo. And the most annoying is that I am not really sure what was in my earlier save, so I probably will have to do some extra exploring where it is not needed, but just to make sure I have checked all rooms, all drawers and all closets.

Hi to all new arrivals. Hope your game behaves itself.

Edited on 01/28/2012 at 8:47:37 AM PST

vervaine
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,122 Posts

[Post New]by vervaine on Jan 28, 12 8:52 AM
Empty slots do appear - they are numbered from 1 to 10. The list is initially empty, so all you can see is numbers. After you save, it takes you back to the game with no confirmation, so you might want to enter the saving screen again and check whether the correct save information appeared - location and date. Unless the game isn't letting you inside the saving screen?

I managed to muddle through the candle hunt. I missed such an obvious thing that I'm almost too ashamed to mention it here Blasted drawer!
It's 5 pm.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jan 28, 12 8:53 AM
Mr_Russ wrote:Welcome to the club, cherbtoo. You did exactly the same as I did - which is wrong.
You don't click on the word Save the second time you see it, you click anywhere underneath it.

Great minds think alike

However a big THANKS for telling me what I did wrong

djrum525
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,389 Posts

[Post New]by djrum525 on Jan 28, 12 8:59 AM
I'd posted how to save before in the D&E thread and here it is. Sadly, I have uninstalled the game and can't check to be sure.

To exit - Hit the "Esc" key on your keyboard.
It should bring you to the "Main Menu".
Click "Save" and you should see numbered spots 1 - 10. I'm thinking these #s are light blue in color located towards the bottom of the screen.
Click on one of these numbers. I went chronologically, so I wouldn't get mixed up.
It should tell you the location where you're at. (Not sure if you have to hit "Esc" again or not?).

A confirmation should appear asking "Quit the game", Yes or No.
Click "Esc" to totally exit the game.

When playing again, from the "Main Menu" click "load". Click the number where your desired "Save" is. As you progress, saves can be overwritten.

jboliver1999
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jboliver1999 on Jan 28, 12 9:02 AM
Oh cherbtoo, that's awful . When you click save it should bring you to the save list of numbers 1 - 10. When you click on one of the numbers, it should ask you if you want to save the game at the bottom (or overwrite if you pick a number that already has a saved game) and when you click yes, it should bring you back to the game at the same place and time that you saved because it says game saved on the screen.

I just saw that Mr_Russ did the same thing. I hope you guys didn't get too far. The mechanics in each game can be so confusing because they can be totally different. I'm still having trouble remembering how to use the inventory.

vervaine
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,122 Posts

[Post New]by vervaine on Jan 28, 12 9:04 AM
Glad to hear it's working for you now, cherbtoo

Does anyone know where Scratches is saving the game? I can't find the save file anywhere. Not that I particularly need it for anything, but I like to know where the saves are.
EDIT: found them!! Scratches is saving each slot as separate file. So the good practice is not to overwrite one slot over and over, because if it the file becomes corrupted (unlikely, but...) you won't lose your whole progress.

Btw. Someone on the other page wondered how it's possible to identify items in the inventory. Select the magnifying glass and then click on one of the items. Michael will tell you what it is.

Edited on 01/28/2012 at 9:08:14 AM PST

PurrrThang
Herring
Herring
394 Posts

[Post New]by PurrrThang on Jan 28, 12 9:24 AM
glamma It will take me lots of time too so you won't be alone. It might be 10 AM in my game forever.

Mr Ross Thanks for the hint as I went back and got the other phone number. They don't look like what I'm used to.

djrum Thanks for the tip about making a map. Mine is unreadable so I'll need to do mine over.

Does anyone know how I can lighten my screen? I can hardly see in some places. I'm thinking I'll have to play at night in the dark.

Oh forgot to mention. I've only been clicking when my curser turns into one with a pointer finger or an open hand. Do I need to click at other times too?

Edited on 01/28/2012 at 9:27:46 AM PST

djrum525
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,389 Posts

[Post New]by djrum525 on Jan 28, 12 9:28 AM
Note that the clock won't change it's time if you've forgotten to do something. So, it was alot of back and forth for me, checking that darn clock.

Hi PurrrThang, I don't think you have to if the cursor doesn't change. But just to make sure, I would advise clicking and if it doesn't say anything, you're ok. Though I did click on every single painting in the whole house. Tedious at times, I know.

Edited on 01/28/2012 at 9:32:18 AM PST

jboliver1999
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jboliver1999 on Jan 28, 12 9:29 AM
PurrrThang, go to the setup and click on the gamma correction. If you keep clicking, it will change from disabled to low, then medium, then high. each time you click, you will see the screen lighten

I hope that helped .

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Jan 28, 12 9:40 AM
I have a feeling that the problem with the save first time through is that the slot numbers didn't show up. That's why I thought I had to click the word.
I got slot 4 by accident second time because I clicked mid-screen.
Now there is one in use, the rest show up.

I have just finished day 1 part 1. My sleep has been interrupted. I will come back to that later.

ETA Day 1 pauses at 7 pm.

Edited on 01/28/2012 at 9:58:20 AM PST

Tam5115
Clownfish
Clownfish
932 Posts

[Post New]by Tam5115 on Jan 28, 12 10:15 AM
I need to take a break! I'm in the Africa room upstairs. When I left the bedroom across the hall, it said I had a strange feeling I'd forgotten something or missed something. Anyone know what that might be? LOL

I haven't been downstairs to check the clock for awhile, I'm having trouble getting in the right places too. I'm either smushed up against something or at an angle. Driving me buggy.

govols2
Shark
Shark
11,575 Posts

[Post New]by govols2 on Jan 28, 12 10:16 AM
Well I have made a little progress. Have to play in brief spurts as either the game or the antibiotics I am on are giving me stomach issues.

I was able to put luggage down and explore first and second floor. Haven't went to third floor yet.

Thank you soo much for information on time. I had no idea about the clock.....in fact I am not even sure I remember where the clock is...

Had a brief moment of panic at the beginning of the game...thinking whoever was calling would hang up before I found out where the phone was LOL.

Have to go to work soon so I will play more tomorrow. Thanks to the tips on saving I was able to save no problem.

Tam5115
Clownfish
Clownfish
932 Posts

[Post New]by Tam5115 on Jan 28, 12 10:24 AM
Just wanted to add that I didn't seem to have any problems saving. Everything came up just as described. So, that's a relief.

I probably won't have time to play again until tomorrow. I sure hope I managed to accomplish something that made the time advance, I didn't check before I saved and exited.

Pinkrollsroyce
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by Pinkrollsroyce on Jan 28, 12 10:32 AM
Hi all

This is my first proper attempt at an LF game and I'm enjoying it so far, especially the basement!!

I've reached 2pm and am taking a break. My game froze at one point but I was able to flip over to my browser and back again and thankfully was able to continue. That gave me a start as I hadn't saved the game at that point.

Vervaine thanks for the tip with the inventory items. I've been picking up all sorts of things and been peering at them trying to remember what they were

I'm hoping to get some more playing time in tonight as I doubt I'll be able to do anything tomorrow. I might have to go and buy a pen as the cat ran off with the one that I was using and now I can't find one that works.

Hi Gove, hope it's not the game making you ill

glamma
Clownfish
Clownfish
736 Posts

[Post New]by glamma on Jan 28, 12 10:46 AM
It is 5:00 and I don't have any candles. I am glad it is really 10:30 AM and my power is working perfectly. Not sure what to do next, but needed a break.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jan 28, 12 10:48 AM
Well I have now replayed the ground floor again and it is a good job that I had to because, by forgetting to go back into a room and out through another door in there initially I had completely missed the kitchen, basement etc etc . Not only that but while I had clicked on the books in the pile I had missed a diary and the entries telling us about the Dhalmaar tribe .

Thanks to MrRuss for telling me to click below the word Save I have now managed to save it in Slot 2 (the slot numbers didn't appear until after the first save ) and I actually saw the words at the bottom of the screen ... Game Saved ... .

Alas my clock still says 9:00 o' clock but that is all I am playing today as my arm is complaining so I will bid you all adieu until the morrow.

and happy gaming everyone .

Gov ... highlight if you want to know where the clock is ---> bottom of stairs by front door ... sorry you have to work on a Saturday .

djrum525
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,389 Posts

[Post New]by djrum525 on Jan 28, 12 10:48 AM
To combat the slight, well sometimes, overbearing feeling of nauseousness, try moving slowly through a scene. Even though the 360 degree movement didn't bother me, there were times when my cursor spun me wildly around and created a feeling a vertigo or something akin to that.

Once you familiarize yourself with the general layout of the house and all the rooms, it's going to seem like your own house.
You won't need the map any longer, I promise.

luvtoread
Manatee
Manatee
4,081 Posts

[Post New]by luvtoread on Jan 28, 12 10:50 AM
Thanks for info, sunshine, it was a duh moment when I read your
post. I was in right room, just forgot to get luggage out of
inventory. was just waiting to plop it down!!! Sheesh, you think
I never played a LF game before!!
Well, after some topside necessary distractions, I am going back
to play some more

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Jan 28, 12 11:10 AM
vervaine wrote:Glad to hear it's working for you now, cherbtoo

Does anyone know where Scratches is saving the game? I can't find the save file anywhere. Not that I particularly need it for anything, but I like to know where the saves are.
EDIT: found them!! Scratches is saving each slot as separate file. So the good practice is not to overwrite one slot over and over, because if it the file becomes corrupted (unlikely, but...) you won't lose your whole progress.

Btw. Someone on the other page wondered how it's possible to identify items in the inventory. Select the magnifying glass and then click on one of the items. Michael will tell you what it is.

It was me! Thank you I hate it when I scroll over an item and it is not immediately obvious what it is
What a great team we have here. Thank you everyone!

govols2
Shark
Shark
11,575 Posts

[Post New]by govols2 on Jan 28, 12 11:13 AM
Pink . I think it is just the meds making me ill and the game is just not helping at the moment.

I have settings on slow and disabled on the other thing so best that I can do.

Thank you Cherb . I will check it tomorrow. I want to finish upstairs first and I am afraid if I go back in and check it now I will be late for work

Just out of curiosity...what time does the clock say when you first start the game ? Just so I know if I made any progress at all.

Go to: