care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

Re:Reviews for Ghost Towns: The Cats Of Ulthar Collector's Edition

[Post New]by care___916 on Feb 12, 12 11:24 AM
Completed the demo.

This game did not feel like a CE to me. No voice overs in a CE is a big deal for me. As another reviewer stated I also was not able to read the first sentence of the game, it was a flash and gone. Will there be other fast flashing wording in the rest of the game?

SG not available in demo. So will not know if it is worth a CE price. Artwork/graphics were ok but not sharp and as clear as I like.

Storyline not holding my interest, I know we are to help a young boy but what are we doing???

This game felt like a decent SE to me like we use to get. If this is a 3 hour game as previously stated this CE isnt for me.

This game will be a pass for me and not interested in a SE either.

Happy gaming to those you enjoyed this game

HOaddict
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by HOaddict on Feb 12, 12 12:16 PM
After reading the reviews, and usually giving credulance to the reviewers, I was prepared to dislike this game. BUT, not so!

I found the plot interesting, the hidden object scenes were clear and appropriate, Although I am usually very fussy when purchasing a CE, the music was not "annoying" and the running back and forth was not a hindrance to my purchasing this game.

I did purchase it.....and am not disappointed!

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Feb 12, 12 12:19 PM
I thought the game was just okay. I wouldn't buy it as a CE but will get it when the SE comes out. The HOG scenes were very grainy and hard to distinguish so things were for the most part tough to see. The hint charged a bit slower than I would have liked. To me it's frustrating when you absolutely can't find a couple of items and have to wait a long time for the hint to recharge especially when you're playing on the clock.

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Feb 12, 12 12:32 PM
jkuci wrote:I have 6 cats who, I know, would chew on my carcass if I died suddenly and therefore couldn't feed them for any extended length of time - I don't begrudge them that

ONLY 6 ???

Try having YES, you counted correctly; MOST of them have been SORELY abused so out of 21, 16 of them are special-needs cats. I wouldn't give up any 1 of them and yup, being a person who lives alone (?!?!), if I were to die, they'd be welcome to eat my body in the hopes of staying alive until my disappearance was accounted for. That is, of course, if my St. Bernard didn't eat the most portions of me.

MEnr56

winkadink
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by winkadink on Feb 12, 12 3:13 PM
Yes, I’d get this as an SE; I did not want the demo to end. The puzzles are kind of easy but at least do-able and are fun. The hidden object scenes are hazy but the items can be found. I think of "junk pile" as scenes that have absolutely nothing to do with the game and the items do not get added to the inventory; the item that does is one that is not in the list to find. So I didn't feel these are of the "junk pile" nature. The graphics of the people are illustrations and not real like but that is ok since other graphics are pretty good. Find the 24 cats throughout the town - things like this always help make the game more interesting. Not having voiceovers does lower my opinion but I would buy it as an SE or dd definitely. Hope you give it a try. I would rate it and a half.

margit50
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by margit50 on Feb 12, 12 3:42 PM
I played the demo, i did like the story. I read in some reviews that it was not widescreen, but it covered my widescreen (laptop). This game will go on my to buy list. I love cats and have 2. I never turn on the sound, so I have no idea how good or bad the sounds are. I would be interested if the bonus game is needed or not.

krinneyd
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by krinneyd on Feb 12, 12 3:43 PM
MinnieK wrote:I appear to be in a minority on this point but for me the fact that there is no voiceover is always a big plus.

Yup, voice overs generally sound phony. Also, really not impressed with the fuzzy HOG scenes ...to me that smacks of lazy & sloppy artwork....(you know, make it fuzzy so "we" don't have to work to hard to hide this stuff). I prefer interactive HOG scenes otherwise the many HOG's get pretty tedious as this one has. The switch from comic book to fuller graphics was just annoying and a turnoff. I love having games available every day but I'm seeing a lot of sloppy thinking just to churn out more CE's. I ALWAYS turn down the music, it's annoying after the first 10 minutes - but do like it as a very quiet background. I love the story line, nice change. And the little extras...creepy tree twig, etc. The pages just keep getting shorter. And I see this one is tricky....longer than usual bonus chapter....sneaky. I like it but I will wait for a sale...since the bonus chapter is longer I will want to play it, so no SE for me.

Thanks Big Fish for all that you do. But I would really like to see longer games....getting disillusioned with them getting shorter and shorter. :/

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Feb 12, 12 8:15 PM
Hmmm, interesting game. Graphics were a bit fuzzyin the beginning, but then cleared up and weren't bad at all. Music okay, but got annoying after awhile. This game definitely would benefit from voice-overs...even a little now and then. Story is a bit choppy in that you don't really know what's happening (things just sort of happen out of nowhere and no explanation), although I'm pretty sure I figured it out already. Hint system good, HOGs fairly simple, games aren't many but not difficult either.

I did not like the fact that I could not look at the SG. It helps me determine how long a game may be. I see that there are only 54 pages with the bonus chapter. Not a very long game for a CE. I will probably wait for the SE, but not sure I want to spend even that much. I do like the story line though, so will put this in my puddle and wait to see what else comes up. Thanks for the reviews.

mrssharon
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

Reviews for Ghost Towns: The Cats Of Ulthar Collector's Edition

[Post New]by mrssharon on Feb 12, 12 8:32 PM
I did not care for this game when I beta tested it and I don't really care for it now.

The HOG scenes are not very clear and the items tend to blend in. Mind you, I don't want to just find everything in a couple minutes, but when my eyes are weary, it just doesn't work. And the very first puzzle is so easy a six year old could figure it out.

I thought in the beta test there was a lot of to and fro and they didn't address that. I don't necessarily need a linear game, but this is beyond ridiculous. I spent most of my time clicking to get to someplace for something I needed only to have to click a number of times to get back where I was to use it.

The story line is not unique at all. Why, oh why, must they put children in peril? Is that supposed to ramp up the intensity of the game? And the beginning scenes are pretty unbelievable. Why on earth would a restrained prisoner (child or otherwise) have a valuable ring on him?

Not CE worthy, and in my opinion, not even SE worthy. Actually, not even Daily Deal worthy.

debdeb11
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

[Post New]by debdeb11 on Feb 12, 12 8:41 PM
I was really unsure about this game when I first tried it out, first few scenes did not grab me. However it really grew on me as it progressed, and I ended up very much enjoying it. Lots of going back & forth to accomplish objectives - for me this is a plus as I like that kind of game, for those who don't they might get frustrated. Storyline was rather hazy at beginning, but as the game progressed it fleshed out quite nicely and made sense. I found the ending perhaps a little abrupt, but then CE bonus play lengthened that out & tied up loose ends. The CE bonus was longer than average in my opinion, I believe I spent a good 1.5 hours on it. This was a different story than many of the usual of these games, and for that alone I appreciated the game. It also ran very smoothly on my computer, in widescreen on my laptop.

This offering was better than expected, and I would recommend it, but of course try before you buy. As a few others have stated, based on the early reviews of this game & my own initial impression of the game I thought I would not like it. But give it a longer try than usual and you may, like me, find that the game becomes more interesting. I will also be saving this game for replay later, and I would say I do this for only 30% of my games - most I know I will never replay. But this one I will. It was not difficult, but a really nice lighter game to spend some time on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

TimeKilla
Herring
Herring
399 Posts

[Post New]by TimeKilla on Feb 12, 12 8:42 PM
I don't know, I just don't know. Just finished the demo, might wait for the SE, might break down and buy it.

The story is different and interesting. The demographics for H0 games indicate that they are popular with women who are, shall we say, of a certain age. And those women tend to be fond of cats. I'd be a little upset about being pigeon-holed except they're totally right. I love cats! The cat-based story, cat-centric mystery, and cats to find in every scene appeal.

Game play isn't as unique as the story. There are average H0's (although the items are in alphabetical order which I liked), the usual mini-games and inventory puzzles. I played on hard core mode. Initially I thought the the inventory items were a bit tricky but it's really more about running back and forth. Find a thing, go back, use the thing, go back, try to find the H0 scene where the next thing will be, maybe find a cat, go back, and then rinse, repeat, repeat, repeat. Inventory items are challenging to find, not challenging to use or to figure out.

Worse, fragile metal objects that disintegrate after use. "Oh, this thread needs to be snipped? I'll just use that knife from....hey now! Gone. Guess that cloth I cut back there was made out of diamonds and alligator hide!"

I do want to know what happens in the story and I love having bonus things to find but it feels like this game might get a bit boring.

Edited on 02/12/2012 at 8:45:12 PM PST

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Feb 12, 12 11:14 PM
BASED ON DEMO:

Feral cats.... a welcomed relief (?!).....

I wasn't exactly all that enthralled by the theme; YET, I was glad to see a game based on something other than ghostly ghoulies and otherworldly hero/rescue missions. I may even purchase simply because IT IS something a bit different from most games of late. Personally speaking, I am getting bored with all the negative Illuminati-like symbolism and influence in so much of our gaming selections.

Considering the story is based on (ghostly?) feral cats and a young child being held unfairly for murder with the threat of execution (!?)... and entitled, "Ghost Town...", I guess that says a lot, lol.

Music was pleasant and graphics were good. THANKS FOR A CHANGE OF PACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MEOW!

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Feb 13, 12 1:11 AM
I found this to be an interesting story and an OK game with OK minis and plenty of HOS. The cartoon graphics do not appeal to me but if you like the style they are very nice. Some scenes seemed a little fuzzy for me. I had to use at least one Hint per HOS. The first time I used a Hint the Meow so startled me that I missed the Hint. I don't care much for the meowing but then, although I like cats in general and love some cats in particular, I am not a cat person and can do without the meowing.

The CE is not a buy for me mostly due to the graphics and meowing. Apart from my personal preferences, this seems like a good game. I don't expect to purchase the SE but I do look forward to this Dev's next game. Hopefully the next one won't include animal sounds and cartoon graphics.

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Feb 13, 12 2:41 AM
My verdict is still out on Ghost Towns: The Cats of Ulthar. but sofar I can only award the CE with
Why do they call it a ghost town when the folks are all there, just at the execution?
Just wondering.

I am going to wait for the SE of this game, mainly because the demo of the CE does not provide the strategy guide and there are no walktrhoughs published yet.

I was not bothered by the meow whenever I asked for a hint, or when the hint recharged, mainly because meows are music to my ears, but also because I kept the sound on low.

What really bothered me is that the hints circle was neither bright enough or lasted long enough for a person with limited vision to see.

I do not mind painterly graphics. As an artist I appreciate them when well done, but the most painterly graphics were in the HOGS and made it harder to for me, with my limited vision to see the objects, even with a very good screen AND my magnifying glass! Several others have mentioned that the graphics appear to be done by two different teams. I differ, three teams is more like it.....and those are too different for game continuity IMHO.

I thought the story premise interesting.
I liked looking for the cats and I really liked the fact that the cats were doing something different in each scene instead of being the same cat hidden against the background or blended into another image.
The hints recharged quickly.

Bonus Section Purrs
The main game screen does let you see what comes with the bonus game which I think is a must.
.it does let you see how many music extras are given

The Bonus section: Plehs
Does not feature Achievements.
Does not feature "all you can eat" hog scenes or bonus mini-games.
does not let you see how many chapters of bonus game play.
Does not let you see how many screen savers, wall papers or concept art pieces there are.

Game Options:
Does not include Gamma correction and only allows changes to music and gamesounds. I like more options on audio and visual displays.

I cannot comment further on the game because I didn't even get past the first chapter of the demo and will not because of the poor quality of the hints halo and there being no SG with the demo.

okay, thxbai!

Edited on 02/13/2012 at 2:57:49 AM PST

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Feb 13, 12 2:48 AM
spiritdog51 wrote:I kinda liked the game. Music was decent, toing and froing was just fine, hidden scenes were good, and I liked finding the cats too. The meowing was nice to hear since I am now catless.

Disliked the hand drawings a lot.

Story was at least different, and we all want different.

Decent game all n all.

Sorry to hear that you're now LESS; as I stated in an earlier post, I've 21 , 16 of them w/special needs and right now 1 is slowly dying (vet can't figure why), another is sinking and 2 other s not feeling well. Lost 4 cats within the past 2 years and I'm still and

There are MANY wonderful s at your local SPCA; check it out and you WILL find ANOTHER forever friend.

MEnr56

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Feb 13, 12 3:07 AM
Nearly played (casual as I always do for demos) the whole demo of the game as I really hoped I would "enter" it...

- 3 modes to play
- Integrated SG not available in the demo
- No Map and a lot of back and forth in the game
- Notebook
- Hint refills in about a minute (even in casual), same thing for skip button
- Penalties when you don't play casual
- H0, junkpiles, you don't interact, a lot of them
- Mini games : nothing new, one of them (jigsaw puzzle) was so foggy, I thought I
would lose my sight
- Graphics OK
- Music OK
- No voiceovers
- You have to find cats throughout the game

The story didn't grab me at all, these nasty killing cats, this boy judged for a murder which cats have performed, this ring he can give you when tied in an iron cage , you use the objects you find nearly straight away, I will definitely pass on this one.

Reviews for Ghost Towns: The Cats Of Ulthar Collector's Edition

[Post New]by luvscandles on Feb 13, 12 3:49 AM
A decent game, but as mentioned.....not really worthy of CE in my opinion. Played thru in about 5.5 hours and had a bit too much backtracking. I prefer something that can hold my attention at least into day 2.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Feb 13, 12 3:52 AM

Poutoule wrote:
(snipped)
The story didn't grab me at all, these nasty killing cats, this boy judged for a murder which cats have performed, this ring he can give you when tied in an iron cage , you use the objects you find nearly straight away, I will definitely pass on this one.

Repeat:
The cats are NOT the villains here and none are harmed.

Edited on 02/13/2012 at 3:53:16 AM PST

nell50
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by nell50 on Feb 13, 12 5:13 AM
This is a basic HOG game which was a little boring, very little interactive play and the HOG scenes again very basic. Graphics OK, not great, lots of to-ing and fro-ing which I like, but I found it quite a short game, as was the bonus chapter, and certainly not worth a CE, probably not even an SE. I might have bought it as a daily deal, but for those experienced HOG/Adventure players, this is probably not one for you. G

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Feb 13, 12 6:46 AM
i beta tested this awhile ago and i quite enjoyed it. i do not buy c.e. s so will wait for the s,e,

Go to: