Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

Re:Reviews for Amulet of Time: Shadow of la Rochelle

[Post New]by Sheerija on Feb 15, 12 3:07 AM
There goes that bar, up again. This game is of a very high standard. Any devs that can top it, may well find themselves in orbit. A really superlative game.

It has everything going for it on all levels and it all works together perfectly. Absolutely adored it. No boredom, no frustration, no waiting, just a lovely flowing game that held my attention all the way through. I could not ask for better.

Very smart, beautiful and immensely absorbing. First time I have had my immediate surroundings completely tuned out by a game. The creative talents of these devs are amazing. The attention to detail in every single scene is exceptional. Hint button is really fast. Navigation is instant. Puzzles are very interesting. Lots of HOS but that aspect is integral to this particular game, and as they are so crisp and clear and uncluttered, no problem.

My compliments to the "chefs". This is a sterling piece of work.

[Post New]by sandy71 on Feb 15, 12 5:37 AM
Didn't get this on Valentines Day but since my ancestors were la Rochelles I HAVE to buy it. Anyway the reviews looked good.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Feb 15, 12 10:20 AM
I have tried this game also, but didn`t liked it really. The graphic are okay, thats for sure, gameplay is also okay, but I have missed the "special feeling" in this game and I think I will pass this time. No buy for me

jcsgame
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,392 Posts

[Post New]by jcsgame on Feb 15, 12 12:16 PM
Excellent game. Not to difficult (you won't have to pull your hair out). Graphics extremely clear. Hidden Object scenes took place in different parts of a room, different rooms and sometimes across locations.

I liked the story. Discover the conspirators that want to kill the King, and stop it from happening. You cross from current to past to play the game.

This game is part adventure and part hidden object. It was a refreshing change from many of the games out there.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Feb 15, 12 2:30 PM
Now that I finished this game I'll add and/correct some of my previous posts. As for the cursor, when I later opened the game to resume, it wasn't dragging at all. I had meant to switch to sys but forgot to go to Options. Not sure if restart had any effect, or I used a different mousepad (on a bed surface) but it worked fine, maybe just a bit slower than normal. Considering the game is around 500mbs maybe it's resources in different pcs?

No, the objects to be found are NOT all in HOS, if you get further than a quick trial there are some frags, parts of machines for instance that take going to different rooms to gather them for the task. There wasn't a skill level to opt out of sparkles, but many of those may or may not even had a quick glint to catch my eye. I did quite a bit of moving around the rooms and on reentering I may see a glint, challenging anyway.]\

I do like HOS best, but these were so easy. clear, in your face that a minute or 2 spent was it. I think non hog lovers see maybe 2 big sparkle masses in one room or after the other and get turned off without even clicking and breezing through the 12 items. I guess they could combine 2 hogs into one with 24 or less? One can quickly go on with the task without forgetting the story and characters getting stuck or lost.

There were a few words that threw me for objects, whether poor translations to English or archaic, "carrage" was one, "besom" I think was in another game. I resorted to hints on those at the end. I was surprised to find a click penalty, a few seconds of fire and smoke, guessing at too many, the bracelet was one. Some I never wouldl have known from the words used. No big deal, Hint is fast.

It is a story driven game, characters well drawn if you read the journal with cameo tabs on each historical character. That helped me know what is going on and to remember who is who and their motives of involvement.

This is not the same ole formula many are very tired of, so that is a big PLUS for me, and not playing on rote. For the average, no expert at adventure wanderings like me it was quite enjoyable. I played maybe 2 or 3 hours on 2 nights so was plenty of game for me. Some historical epilogue re what happened to the others makes me want to study more about French kings and the Hueganouts or learn how to spell it Quite worth the price and I wish it were a CE with even more info. Beautiful game just right for me!

Edited on 02/15/2012 at 6:56:54 PM PST

dyingjoy
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by dyingjoy on Feb 15, 12 3:26 PM
I was surprised to see so many good reviews of this game, so I decided to add my own 2 cents.

Features:
2 difficulty levels- I played on easy, and it was. I imagine that having no sparkles in the hard mode would make a big difference.
No widescreen
Option to turn off custom cursor
No Map or Strategy Guide, but hints are solid enough not to need them.
Voice over

I feel like this game had a lot of the pieces I am looking for in a great game (good art, interesting concept, great help system), but they just didn't fit well together. I give it a C.

Story
The story involves travelling back in time to solve a mystery, which is great, but for me the story was a bit rushed and hard to follow. Pieces of the story come out through game play, as you uncover clues and encounter spirits. I really like feeling like I was uncovering things as I went, but I didn't really understand how each piece fit into the larger picture.

Art
The art for the game was pretty decent, and they had some interesting spooky scare moments, but a lot seemed to have just been randomly thrown in rather than something that fit the story (Spoiler example- Why was there a creepy jester in the mirror? Why did a ghost face jump out in the room with the grate?).

Adventure Scenes
This was part of what soured me on the game. A lot of what you had to do seemed arbitrary, and perfectly reasonable actions don't work. (Spoiler example- Only the mace was heavy enough to knock the helmet over?) I recognize that the setting is 'supernatural' but I still feel like using logic should be a good guide to knowing what to do next.

Hidden Object Scenes
There were way too many HO scenes for my taste. The art for them was pretty good, and the only real difficulty I had was in scenes where there were multiple version of the item I was looking for, but they only wanted one specific one (like a scene with a bunch of necklaces, and I had to keep clicking until I found the one they meant). I did like that some groups of items had to be found among a number of different scenes, and the ability to mouse over the name of the item to see its shape was invaluable. I just felt like they overused the HO scenes, and I got bored with them fairly quickly.

Puzzles
None of the puzzles took work to figure them out...they were more like tasks, than actual puzzles. The skip button charged quickly, so if you do have trouble it shouldn't be hard to get past them.

[Post New]by vanderploeg on Feb 15, 12 4:14 PM
Really enjoyed the demo. This is definitely a buy for me!

glowfish
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by glowfish on Feb 15, 12 11:34 PM
This was a NO for me.

-Click penalty. I HATE these. Excuse me, but if I want to click a few times, I should be able to do so. Especially if your art is so dark that my eyes CAN'T SEE THE SCENE! Grrrrr. Definintely won't pay for a click penalty game.

-Sparkles: I chose Difficult which supposedly had "no sparkles" but what do I get? Lots and lots of sparkly zones. Sigh!

Nope! Not for me.

Suede46
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by Suede46 on Feb 16, 12 4:32 AM
I have just finished this game, and it was "Just my cup of tea!" I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The graphics were very clear; and, as I don’t have the best eye sight in the world I appreciated it.

I would have liked to have had it full screen, but I coped.

I loved all the HOS, and the puzzles. I didn’t have to resort to using the walkthrough; it was a really relaxing enjoyable game.

We don’t all like the same games, and reading the feedback from this one, it is about 50/50. I don’t like the dark spooky ones that we have had lot of over the last many months, but I am hoping that we will get more of this kind in the future.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Feb 16, 12 6:05 PM
I found this game to be tedious and boring. Definitely a no buy for me even at 4.99. Couldn't even make it through the demo.

Sloooow, jerky curser so I went to settings and changed to the standard one and it moved quickly through the scenes.

Edited on 02/16/2012 at 6:09:25 PM PST

mar39
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by mar39 on Feb 17, 12 7:35 AM
I thought the look of the game was very nice, but bought it only because I thought it would get better. I did finish it, but it was just okay for me.

lucyb24
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

[Post New]by lucyb24 on Feb 17, 12 10:47 AM
Stunningly beautiful graphics, but that said, I deleted after 30 minutes. As others have mentioned too many hidden objects, did not fill my screen and very very small type. It's a shame because had it not been for these things, I would have bought because I liked the puzzles and story.

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Feb 18, 12 7:03 AM
I was enjoying the game until I hit glitches and now my time is up on the demo... I will have to think long and hard as to whether or not to buy this one....

sherisgirl
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

[Post New]by sherisgirl on Feb 18, 12 11:03 AM
Ive just tried this as the deals on, but im afraid I only lasted 20 mins before I uninstalled it,

Sluggish cursor really began to annoy me, thought the couple of puzzles were very easy.

Not for me.

Manquena
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by Manquena on Feb 18, 12 12:32 PM
I had no problems with the demo but once I bought the game, it was sluggish (5 minutes to load) the prompter floats at will and after the second cutscreen it froze and that was the end. Customer Service suggested a series of downloads, which I followed and took time. When I was done, the game was still refusing to cooperate. Too bad, I do like period games and this one looked nice enough. Wish I could have played it.

Manquena
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by Manquena on Feb 18, 12 12:33 PM
I had no problems with the demo but once I bought the game, it was sluggish (5 minutes to load) the prompter floats at will and after the second cutscreen it froze and that was the end. Customer Service suggested a series of downloads, which I followed and took time. When I was done, the game was still refusing to cooperate. Too bad, I do like period games and this one looked nice enough. Wish I could have played it.

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Feb 18, 12 5:37 PM
I really loved this game and had Zero technical errors. For me, it was very long play since I didn't look at the walk through. It took time to figure out where to go and what to do next and I loved having to use my brain!! Great story line (no car wrecks, lost children or insane aslyums) and the music (which I nearly always turn OFF) was quiet, unassuming and non irritating.

I am glad I purchase this game, and only have one critical beef with it: NO WIDESCREEN!!! COME ON DEVELOPERS!!! I'm a little older and a little visually impaired and this one really gave me eye strain and a headache... not so much that I couldn't play it, I just couldn't play it for hours on end like I do most games. (hmmm.. maybe that's why it was long play.... :suspicious

Anyway... I'd play another one along this line, but PLEASE!!!! FIX THE WIDESCREEN ISSUE!! This is 2012, not 1512!!! It can be done!! Everything else was marvelous!!

For those that give up on a game after 20 minutes of play, you may be cheating yourself out of great games!!! Slow down and get the feel of how the game is flowing and how the developer thinks. You may be pleasantly surprised!

eirini51
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by eirini51 on Feb 19, 12 5:26 AM
great game, graphics colour and story line are great. The walk-through, however, his very disappointing. I have reached the point where there is a door with the monk on it I have placed most of the items on the picture but I am stuck. Where does the vine and the leaves go. The walk through just states put the items on the appropriate places. Having no luck with these last two items. Can anybody help, I wonder.?

INGamePlayer
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by INGamePlayer on Feb 19, 12 12:00 PM
glowfish wrote:This was a NO for me.

-Click penalty. I HATE these. Excuse me, but if I want to click a few times, I should be able to do so. Especially if your art is so dark that my eyes CAN'T SEE THE SCENE! Grrrrr. Definintely won't pay for a click penalty game.

-Sparkles: I chose Difficult which supposedly had "no sparkles" but what do I get? Lots and lots of sparkly zones. Sigh!

Nope! Not for me.

I Don't like click penalties, either--sometimes just like to click on things to see if they react. But I think this game did allow you to hover over the object name to see an outline of the item, so you don't always have to use a hint. I like that option.

[Post New]by RowanGolightly on Feb 19, 12 7:58 PM
WONDERFUL game! As a history and costuming geek, I was delighted with this game. Beautifully designed, well researched historically, consistent in costume and decor; there were NO "bungie cords" for me (what professional Renaissance festival performers call it when an anachronism pops one out of the historical moment.)

I loved the voices, especially of Diane de Poitier; loved the appearances of the ghosts, loved the moments of "ack" and "ew" and "oh no" that were well timed and added to the dramatic action and the enjoyment. I wasn't bothered by a slow cursor problem. I'll admit that I skipped over some quizzes just to get to what was happening next. Most of the HOGs were almost too easy but the whole thing flowed nice. I'll go back another time and play it more slowly in difficult mode to enjoy it.

VERY well done! I am horribly picky when it comes to historical depictions so I was really pleased this lived up to my expectations. More please!

Go to: