[Post New]by misswood24 on Apr 14, 12 11:36 PM
I thought this game was just ok!!!

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

Re:Reviews for Witches' Legacy: The Charleston Curse

[Post New]by Jurinne on May 7, 12 11:58 AM
I ran into some problems: one, if music is written and I am supposed to play the notes as written, the notes should actually be the correct notes. Or maybe they're magical notes? All I know is that I can read music and what I played did NOT correspond to the notes given. OK. I got that off my mind. Other problems:

(1) In HOSs I had to click on items several times before they were accepted even though I was definitely clicking right on the object. Once I even gave up and decided that I must be seeing things. I used the HINT button and was taken right back to the item I had clicked on.
(2) The same held true of items I needed to pick up. I would try and try but it wouldn't work, even though the cursor changed.
(3) HOSs were sometimes hard to see, even when moving my computer screen back and forth, There was no brightness option.
(4) The puzzles were either so easy to figure out that I had completed them in 20 seconds or were so difficult that I gave up. I would have liked some with a little more challenge but not so complicated that I couldn't even understand what I was supposed to do.
(5) I really wish that the developers would let us think outside of the box. I'm tired of having to wipe away spider webs with an object that I have to find. I'm not that much of a coward - just let me wipe them away with my hand.
(6) It's too short.

The good:
(1) The storyline is great! It grabbed me in from the start.
(2) I enjoyed being able to access so many areas right from the start. I don't like it when I'm stuck in one place when I want to go somewhere else. This game didn't have that problem and I enjoyed that very much. I like to explore; that is the way I like to play these games.
(3) The graphics (except for a few of the HOSs) were fantastic.
(4) It was creepy enough to hold my interest.
(5) The HINT button did not fill up super-fast; it didn't hold my hand as much as in other games and I like this, too. I didn't have to wait a long time but I did have to wait. That's good

My rating is 3/5 stars. Nice for a rainy day.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on May 7, 12 12:06 PM
SPOILER ALERT!! My response may be a spoiler!

Paul4455 wrote:Great story line. Wonderful graphics. But it left me wondering if Lynn became a witch.
It seems she might have. What do you think. I got the SE version which I paid 2.99 for.

I don't think she did. I just finished the game and thought it was clear that whatever ritual she would have had to go through was not completed. Remember that all of Lynn's relatives had to be killed. The player was the last of her relatives and was not killed. So Lynn could not have become a witch.

Of course there could be a sequel but it seems like every game I play has a little question at the end. Did I escape that explosion? Or "what appeared to be John" escaped. I think it's just the way they're written, like scary movies that leave us with an unanswered question.

If there is a sequel I won't purchase it.

Edited on 05/07/2012 at 12:08:29 PM PST

Kamille_59
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by Kamille_59 on Jul 2, 12 9:25 AM
Well done! Thumbs up to the developer!

[Post New]by wickedflower on Jul 23, 12 1:24 AM
Bought the se after Id played demo ages ago, luckily it was on a DD as its really ho hum for me..I think I expect alot more from hog/adventure games than I did a few years ago. I found it boring , no map ( I prefer interactive maps) I found the constant back and forward to locations pointless I skipped alot of the mini games as they were not explained enough for me. the hogs were junk piles and graphics basic. having said that I did appreciate the full screen which a few game recently havent provided.
Happy gaming to all that try this game, i would rate it a 5 out of 10.

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on Dec 12, 12 4:38 AM
I liked the storyline. Appreciated all the little humorous touches throughout the game. Thought that the imp and door knob were really cute. Had some really nice interactive HO scenes. Overall, a really well made game that was fun to play.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Dec 24, 12 3:49 AM
this was a fun and nice long game. puzzles were great.-----------doug & lisa

[Post New]by RowanGolightly on Jan 8, 13 5:17 PM
Fun game so far; think I'm near to the end of it. Nice story, not too gruesome. I also like the little girl being a little girl and the nice touch of the talking ghost.

One BIG PET PEEVE that I don't see anyone else mentioning. After finding the music and the piano keys, one must play the tune in order to get the thing open. But...the tune as written is NOT what opens the gadget. Devs, if you're going to put a music score there and ask the player to play the tune, at least HAVE THE TUNE MATCH WHAT IS WRITTEN ON THE SCORE! *puffpuff* Am I the only music reader on here? If you're not going to use the notes that are written on the score, why provide a score? Why not just have it be pure guessing. Perhaps it's an OCD pet peeve but as a musician, I found it to be really annoying; enough that I quit playing for the time being.

Really, it takes so little to follow through on some details. There are lots of historical details that I let by but this one annoyed the tar out of me.

I won't even get into the bigger issue of continuing the stereo-type of witches as being evil, blood-thirsty, murdering, ugly old women. Ok, nevermind, I WILL get into it afterall. Even though, yes, I knew that it was about witches from the title, it gets beyond annoying that witches are always depicted as being evil and ugly. There is a perfectly respectable religion called Wicca which the practitioners are rightly called witches and have nothing to do with evil and are not ugly and do not kill relatives, burn houses down and threaten little girls. Trust me, it gets tiresome having that nasty old bigotry trotted out and reinforced in a game.

Apadenska
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by Apadenska on Apr 4, 13 8:40 PM
I liked the game, story, and the characters. Catch of the Week is always a bonus. The haunting laugh reminds me of an amusement park ride, but I always turn everything low. It is true, you must use some common sense on this one. If you like tales about ghosts, witches and magic potions, you will enjoy this game.

Edited on 04/04/2013 at 8:44:52 PM PST

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Jun 14, 13 11:46 AM
Review based upon completion of the game.

So an American went to Germany, got to know a woman and brought her back home to marry her. Rather bad idea, as she turned out to be a witch. Now you got to learn that a little girl, a blood relative of yours, is in trouble, so it's up to you to sort out this mess.

The Good:

+ story told through crayon videos...
+ that also contain hints for the riddles
+ diverse mini games
+ Lynn's cute

The Neutral:

o the so called "Bloksberg" is actually the "Blocksberg", or commonly known as "Brocken", a peak in the German Harz mountains
o you don't feel much threat, as you encounter the villainess only twice (you see her a bit more often, but it seems she isn't bothered by you)
o already found items are put back into repeating HO scenes

The Bad:

- the story is a bit out there (sneezing door knob???) and the integration of live actors is sometimes unintentionally funny
- graphics could be MUCH clearer in HO scenes

Bottom Line: The game is not too bad. The ending - though satisfying - seems a bit chopped off, maybe it's expanded more in the CE. If you are desperate for a new game it's okay, otherwise don't bother.

Edited on 06/14/2013 at 11:49:48 AM PST

mar39
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by mar39 on Jun 29, 13 9:27 PM
Can agree with everything Jurinne said on May 7th, except I do NOT read music and thought it odd there was no way to figure out the notes. Learning they were incorrect anyway made me feel a bit better!

I got this as a free game, and for that it was just fine.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Jul 4, 13 4:23 AM
Not as much fun as I wanted it to be. Lots of running around with just one HOS after another. By the time I get an item I need, I have forgotten where it is supposed to go. For example, if I need to cut something open, the scissors might not be able to be picked up until many HOS later and clear across to the other side of the house.

The HOS are absolute messes -- probably the worst I've ever encountered in any game I've played -- smudgy, shadowy hiding places for teeny-tiny little objects requiring you to click on exactly the right pixel.

This is a very long game. I've been playing for four hours, and I'm not anywhere close to the end, I have a boatload of items I'm still carrying around in inventory. I've now given up trying to figure out where I need to be and am simply using hints to point the way. At this point, it feels more like work than fun, just slogging away to get to the end.

addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by addieh on Dec 4, 13 12:58 PM
I replayed this game after my first time playing in March of 2012. Back then, I wasn't impressed with it, but since then and after playing many BFG, I've retried and I have to upgrade this to a great game. Loved everything about it. I tend to replay most games a 2nd time to see if they warrant a new grade, and this one did.
Glad I replayed it.

hottnt44
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by hottnt44 on Apr 19, 14 10:25 AM
cbtx wrote:As they sometimes say, there's good news and bad news.
The good news is that the games the last two days are great and that tempers the bad news some which is----no CE today.
But here is the review for TGT which I posted in the CE thread:

From the same dev that brought us the Fear for Sale games comes this fantastic new title that LovetoMissLisa sums up very nicely. All that Lisa said I agree with----especially as it concerns the graphics and the animation. (Hey, Lisa, at least the car got to where it was going without slipping off the road or crashing or going out of control to avoid some mysterious item, etc.)
I thought the hidden object scenes were great with nifty little interactive portions unlike others I have seen.
The puzzles were different and fun without being overly difficult.
Although we have seen many haunted houses, ghosts, etc., this game was different enough because of the new, fresh, and innovative approach this dev used as their games continue to improve.
And yes, the widescreen option worked fine for me, opening on the entire screen and making the game so much more attractive. (Their first Fear game did not, their second Fear game and this one DO so that tells me that these devs are doing all they can to improve their games and pay attention to the details---great job!)
I hope some of the other devs are paying attention and learning from devs like this that show the way.
As Lisa says, this one is a must have----highly recommended!

Go to: