megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Surprising Adventures of Munchausen

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Feb 19, 12 12:15 PM
I beta tested this 9 months ago! I was starting to think it was never going to be released. It reminds me a little of "the fool". From what I remember and wrote down, it has new ideas to the same tasks we usually see. Instead of walking places, you have to put all the steps in order to actually walk which was completely new and made the game challenging. I am not sure how they changed it although they did change the lead character. He was way dorkier looking before LOL Im assuming they dumbed it down a little since the demo was way challenging even for me and I consider myself pretty savvy when it comes to games. There were times in the demo, I thought there was a glitch because I had no idea what to do and the help system wasn't very good but I stated all that in the reviews I had for it and suggested different difficulty levels and since this took 9 additional months to come out...let's hope its as awesome as I remember and then some!

BP532
Guppy
Guppy
144 Posts

[Post New]by BP532 on Feb 19, 12 12:38 PM
cherbtoo wrote:Well this game brought a big grin to my face, I love quirky games like this that are are humorous, have bright colours and a variety of puzzles for you to use to overcome the obstacles in your way. The latter is a much more fun and entertaining way of doing that than just doing hidden object scene after hidden object scene to get one item.

The story of finding the missing pieces of a kingdoms magic stone and saving the princess from marrying the baddie gives you a goal because nobody likes evil to win.

I played this game in Expert mode and, while it is on the easy side I still had fun. I did try the hint button and it took approximately 2 minutes to reload.

I also liked that the game had voiceovers although I wasn't keen on being told when I was wrong .

I think this game is a steal in the Presidents Day Sale and no matter how long it turns out to be I won't regret buying it.

Cherb

ETA ...

I had to rush my comments because HMV was giving me earache but I would just like to add ...

I WOULD LIKE MORE GAMES LIKE THIS PLEASE DEVS ...

Agree with Cherub's always excellent review. However, I felt that the trial ended a little too soon, as I didn't feel I got the full flavor of the game. Maybe's its me - or that is the full flavor - and playing at 3:00 AM EST!

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Feb 19, 12 12:54 PM
I had so much fun with the demo, I just had to buy this game,
at least it was at sale price.

Yes, it is too short, but since I knew that going in, I slowed
my play down and did some dumb things on purpose just to
hear the comments.

Some very nice inovations in mini-games and I enjoyed
the variation on HO scenes; having to find similar items
instead of just following a list.

Absolutely loved the "fill the glasses with beer" trick.

A pleasant Sunday afternoon spent being a kid at heart
although I don't consider this a kid's game.

fifegal
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by fifegal on Feb 19, 12 1:14 PM
I am a penny pincher and it does seem this game is on the short side, so maybe not worth the cost to some. But I think I am going to buy it because I want Big fish and the creators of this game to know I appreciate something clever and different. Maybe then they will continue giving us choices such as this one.

MoreOver
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by MoreOver on Feb 19, 12 3:10 PM
fifegal wrote:I am a penny pincher and it does seem this game is on the short side, so maybe not worth the cost to some. But I think I am going to buy it because I want Big fish and the creators of this game to know I appreciate something clever and different. Maybe then they will continue giving us choices such as this one.

I agree with you, fifegal. And with all the others who have stated that they want more lighthearted games back. I'm so fed up with all the dark, eerie games and haven't been buying much in the last 6 months because of it.

Some may think this game is juvenile but I think it's fun and happy, rather than difficult and sad like so many of the HOGs that have come out in the last year or so.

Hope the developers start paying attention.

Bobbie53
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by Bobbie53 on Feb 19, 12 3:20 PM
I agree with fifegal, after reading all of the reviews I used a punchcard credit to let the devs know I enjoy playing games like this one.

Initially, the length put me on the fence. I am not a fast player and still had 24 minutes left when the demo ran out. The fun factor knocked me off of the fence. If I didn't have a punch card credit I probably would have waited until it came out as a DD.

I look forward to more games like this one and hope they are longer in length.

After posting this I saw moreover's comments and wholeheartedly agree!!!

Edited on 02/19/2012 at 3:23:34 PM PST

susieq12
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

[Post New]by susieq12 on Feb 19, 12 3:40 PM
Had a game credit and brought this to fill a rainy Sunday afternoon while recuperating from surgery. Enjoyed the change of pace and the associated items but it was way too short.

Pertigal
Shark
Shark
10,783 Posts

[Post New]by Pertigal on Feb 19, 12 3:45 PM
I am a seasoned game player, like to play on hard mode....but I didn't find this so easy! Guess I'm just not a natural at some of the "how to" parts. I loved the humor, I thought Munchausen was quite brilliant and I would also look forward to another game like this. Yes, it was a little short but not terribly so and if I hadn't checked the walkthrough for the @#$% beer scene I'd still be playing.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Feb 19, 12 4:24 PM
I had 30 minutes left of the hour when I finished the demo. The game was definately fun to play and I liked all aspects of it, except for the length. However, because so many Fishies have bought the game despite the length, I'm going to buy it.

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Feb 19, 12 4:26 PM
cherbtoo wrote:Well this game brought a big grin to my face, I love quirky games like this that are are humorous, have bright colours and a variety of puzzles for you to use to overcome the obstacles in your way. The latter is a much more fun and entertaining way of doing that than just doing hidden object scene after hidden object scene to get one item.

The story of finding the missing pieces of a kingdoms magic stone and saving the princess from marrying the baddie gives you a goal because nobody likes evil to win.

I played this game in Expert mode and, while it is on the easy side I still had fun. I did try the hint button and it took approximately 2 minutes to reload.

I also liked that the game had voiceovers although I wasn't keen on being told when I was wrong .

I think this game is a steal in the Presidents Day Sale and no matter how long it turns out to be I won't regret buying it.

Cherb

ETA ...

I had to rush my comments because HMV was giving me earache but I would just like to add ...

I WOULD LIKE MORE GAMES LIKE THIS PLEASE DEVS ...

I agree. MORE GAMES LIKE THIS!!!

Your review was great. Thanks Cher.

Waazzaa
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by Waazzaa on Feb 19, 12 5:26 PM
I agree with many of the comments here . . . fun, funny, different sort of game-I bought it because it is not a standard HOG. I also agree that is it waaaaay too short!!!! I'm not mad though--it is a sale week.

I hope if there is a second installment, it is longer (and I hope they don't add any H0S!!!!)

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Feb 19, 12 7:31 PM
A very cute game! Am very surprised by the lack of CE`s this week. Anyway, the graphics are great. Some think the puzzles are easy (of course) and too much talking (I disagree). I like the game and I think this is more designed to be a whimsical respite for adults. Most young students would have trouble with this game and teens wouldn`t be interested in it at all. Enjoying it and have many coupons so I will use one to enjoy my day off playing this delightful game.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Feb 19, 12 7:44 PM
Yes! I'm getting it for the same reasons, fun, and short doesn't bother me because when a game is fun to play I just want to play it again, maybe see things I didn't see before, and maybe some of the minis or HOS are random. I rarely if ever replay the long ones like HOPAs, time restraints. At the end of these it's like oh no! I was having fun so let's do it again.

I also admire fantasy, fairytale illustrators who can do really wonderful drawings with imagination. That's an artform in itself and worth a replay or 2 just to see again like paging through a coffee table edition with pictures. Colors and humor are uplifting. Mind you, I was referring to the WT on the demo til I got the hang of the gameplay, the new sidebar was good showing the number of objects still to be found in each location. That probably makes the game feel shorter, no mindless wandering. The Hint was of no use for that.

The Fool is a good comparison as far as just silly characters and stuff but don't remember it being short, hard to find items too. I'd compare to Oddly Enough Pied Piper, that's a hoot building crazy contraptions. So many gamers passed on that one too because it is short, and being fairly easy they missed the fun. I nearly passed Piper because I don't like FROGs searches, but even those were visually easy. It's still on my laptop to play again just for fun.

I could get this one with a pcc but with the sale going why spend a value $6.99 coupon, there are other SEs on my buy later list for those, so save $2 now with my math (?) And I'm with those wanting the dev and BF to know I'm tired of what we've been getting. I only buy the dreary ones to get some decent HOS, especially the interactive objects now. Just plod through inferior story telling and more skeletons wandering and skipping half the puzzles.They don't even scare me, but I'd rather grin than scream if they did and most silly too when overdone. Love these association ones, and as slow as I am late at night it may be a "long" game for me but I'll have pleasant visuals leftover when the sandman comes and not from boredom

nekosteph
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by nekosteph on Feb 19, 12 9:42 PM
A very short game, not worth the money.

Badut
Herring
Herring
345 Posts

[Post New]by Badut on Feb 20, 12 1:53 AM
FINALLY a FROG And a clever one, too. Fantastic, wonderful, funny - but waaaay to short...

I have played HOGs from the beginning starting from a total addict to a indifferent nonplayer - because they are just soooo boring - pile after pile of junk - the tedious task of finding the same old spider, iron, horse shoe - you name it. All totally unrelated to the story.

But MORE LIKE THIS and I will be right back with the believers Pleeeeeease...

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Feb 20, 12 2:52 AM
The demo was really short 25 mins, the game is cute and funny, but I am not in the mood to keep playing, though it's a leisure, and reading some reviews it's way too brief for a SE, but it's good at times to laugh and enjoy , even if it's for a short time||

dogmama
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,998 Posts

[Post New]by dogmama on Feb 20, 12 3:25 AM
I know there have been many comments about the game being very short, and therefore, a "rip-off". At the sale price of $4.99, I could buy less than 1 1/2 gallons of gas and drive about 40 miles on the freeway. I dare say this game lasts longer than that and is much more fun . And I, also, would much prefer a short, excellent game to one that is so long it becomes a chore to finish, Just my opinion though .

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Feb 20, 12 3:46 AM
I beta tested this game fairly recently (perhaps 2 months ago) and I remember saying then that it appeared to be aimed at children. Having said that, it was fun to play; lovely graphics if you like the cartoon-style, some fragmented objects and searching in different areas, I did like the 'match this item to something similar' puzzles and the furniture slider (but then I love slider puzzles!), bit too much dialogue for my taste but you can click through it and the cannonball scene was funny!

But the sample only lasted for 22 minutes, which I thought was ridiculously short. Granted I beta'd it recently enough to remember much of the gameplay but even so, 22 minutes is far too short even for a sample. It doesn't bode well for the length of the game and for this reason, is a no buy for me. I hope the devs make another game like this though and next time make it longer!

Edited on 02/20/2012 at 3:47:09 AM PST

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Feb 20, 12 4:51 AM
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the reviews so far! Just dropping by with a friendly reminder to reserve this thread for reviews only.

Please don't hesitate to start a new discussion in the Forum to discuss aspects of this game, that are not applicable to the Review Thread.

Please note: the moderation team will go ahead and remove non-review posts after this reminder.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

[Post New]by hawkes1959 on Feb 20, 12 7:52 AM
Cute graphics and fairly easy but I had some technical difficulties so I'll post those in the other forum.

Go to: